Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2014 Jeep Cherokee shows an early trend of transmission complaints. Most of the complaints are for rough shifting — things like jerking & hesitation when shifting gears.

We are keeping an eye on things but the 2014 Cherokee doesn't look like a good model year compared to past years.

2014 Jeep Cherokee drivetrain problems

2014 Jeep Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 21 of 28)

Oct 072014

Cherokee 6-cyl

The first incident in October Jeep came to complete stop on highway.also would accelerate on its own. It was towed to dealership. They drove it sent info to Chrysler they said it needed transmission replaced. Was in shop 22 days. Dec.30 2014 towed back to dealership, for several issues. Would not take off when you pressed gas pedal after 2 attempts it lunge and began moving, driving in traffic pressed the brake and it did not slow down instead it speed up after pressing break harder it slowed. Few days later it would not shift out sounded like it in first gear.they once again replaced the transmission and updated the soft ware. It sounds like the shocks are bad but they didn't address this issue either. It rides and feels like it sways all over the road. This Jeep Cherokee latitude was bought new in 2014. I think it is seriously a road hazard.

- Berryville, AR, USA

Feb 132014

Cherokee 4-cyl

The new 9-speed transmission on the vehicle shifts very poorly. Very harsh shifts at slow speeds from 1st to 2nd gear. There has been a few times when the car did not want to shift out of first and when it did, it slammed real hard into second gear. Also, car will not shift into 9th gear unless you are coasting downhill and going over 70 mph and when it does, there is a clunking noise. Also when driving and need to accelerate suddenly, there is a very large lag time from when you step on the gas pedal and when the car reacts about 4-6 seconds.

- Redwood City, CA, USA

Oct 072014

Cherokee 4WD 4-cyl

2014 Jeep Cherokee. Consumer writes in regards to transmission problems. The consumer stated on October 7, 2014 as she pulled out onto the highway, the vehicle stalled. She managed to drift to the side of the road. She let the vehicle sit for a minute and then re-started it. She bean to drive and the vehicle began to buck and lost power. She pulled over for a second time and let it sit for a minute, attempted to re-start it which was successful, but she couldn't go over 25 mph. She drove to the dealer. The dealer kept the vehicle for a week. A diagnostic test revealed a problem with the transmission. One month later, as she was pulling out onto the main road, the vehicle lost power again. She managed to get the vehicle to the dealer. A diagnostics test revealed the vehicle shut off, due to low oil. The consumer claimed the vehicle wasn't scheduled for an oil changed for another 1,000 miles. The dealer advised the consumer to bring the vehicle back within 3,000 to see if the vehicle was burning oil.

- Monroeville, PA, USA

Feb 142014

Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

While turning at a stop light the car slipped into neutral. Check engine light came on, service transmission message on dash, parking brake light came on and also traction control light. Pulled over and restarted car still would not engage into to drive. Had to let car sit for 30 minutes then restarted and went back in to drive. Made it to dealership but slipped out of gear one more time on the 20 minute drive. The exact thing has happened 2 more times and has now been at the dealership 3 times in 2 weeks. Afraid for my safety at this point!

- Canton, MI, USA

Jan 052015

While driving on flat terrain at a constant highway speed the car suddenly decelerated for a few seconds with the tachometer needle swaying back and forth and then returned to normal operation. This recurred 5 minutes later. The dealer indicated that it was a transmission software problem and loaded the latest software release. Two weeks later the problem occurred again.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Jan 132015

Driving on local street about 25 mph when service transmission warning comes on. Vehicle would not shift beyond 2nd gear, transmission began slipping and eventually would only shift into drive or reverse after delays of about ten seconds. Vehicle needed to be towed in to dealer.

- New York, NY, USA

Aug 292014

Cherokee 4WD 4-cyl

I bought this 2014 Jeep Cherokee sport in August 2014. It had approx. 300 miles on it. Noticed a strong "shimmy" in the Jeep after it shifts to 2nd gear. The shimmy goes away after increased speed. Took it to the dealer and the tech drove it and noticed the shimmy also. He checked for any sbs. Chrysler said to replace the front half-shafts. This was done 2 weeks later. The shimmy was still there when I picked it up. The tech said there was a "break in period" of 3000 mi and it would go away. There is no such thing as a break in period for this part. The vehicle has had 3 software upgrades on the tranny to ease harsh shifting. This works for about 1 month and then back to harsh shifting. The shifting gets better as the vehicle warms up but the shimmy is there no matter what temp. Talked to the service manager at the dealer and he rode in it today (1/21/14) and noticed the shimmy. We then drove another 2014 Jeep Cherokee, it did not have a shimmy he said he would reopen the star case with Chrysler to try to resolve the issue..this is a $30,000 vehicle with 2000 miles. It should not be doing this, and I am sick of hearing "this is normal" from service techs when they have no clue why it is doing this. When it goes back in this time, this will number 3. if it is not repaired correctly and the shimmy and trans. Issues are still there, Chrysler will buying it back per lemon law.

- Tacoma, WA, USA

Dec 072014

Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

On December 7th, the car (2014 Jeep Cherokee with 12,600 miles) lost power unexpectedly while I approached a stoplight, and had to be coasted to the side of the road. We waited approximately 10 minutes, and it restarted. No warning or check engine lights came on. Over the next several days, we had approximately 3 instances where the car either wouldn't start, or would lose power. Still no warning lights came on indicating an issue. As we believed this to be a potential safety issue, we took it to the local Jeep dealership and asked them to check it out. They kept it for 6 days and indicated that they could not recreate the issue. We picked the car up on Dec. 16th. On December 25 the car again lost all power while driving (lost engine, power steering, and power breaks). Fortunately this occurred on a local road and the car was able to be coasted to stop without incident. This time several indicators illuminated including the 'check engine' light. We had the car towed the next day to the same dealer. At the time of this writing, the dealership has had the car 22 days, and still have not been able to diagnose the issue. They did replace the PCM, however this did not correct the issue. I'm filing this complaint because of the potential safety issue. I also have a concern because Jeep is not able to properly diagnose the problem in a reasonable amount of time.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Aug 142014

Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

Two problems came up at around the same time. The car was delivered with the transmission 4 quarts low on fluid. The car was slipping out of gear, lurching and shuddering. The transmission is a sealed unit so there was no way for me to know that. Then the dash display went completely dark. No feedback was given, its a digital display. So I had no speedometer, tachometer etc and the warning lights were out. I feel like a vehicle with no dash display that slips out of gear when passing or lurches forward when stopping could be dangerous to other drivers and pedestrians.

- Camarillo, CA, USA

Jan 132015

Driving on major highway. Heard loud bang then "service transmission indication and loss of traction" came on. I lost all power with no way to keep up my speed. I hit my 4 way flashers and the tractor trailer truck behind me had to brake hard and went into the grass median. I finally coasted to the berm and we got out to make sure everybody was ok. This could have ended in a very different way. I feel it is not safe for me or my family to drive the vehicle. If the tractor trailer driver was not paying attention I could have been killed.

- Hilliard, OH, USA

Jun 252014

On 6/24/2014 was driving down highway when engine light came on for the first time, there was no loss of power or anything the light just came on. Called dealership as I had only had the vehicle 35 days. Brought it in was the air intake dealership had it for 5 days. Then in October 27th engine light came on again. Called dealership brought it back in light went off when I brought it up there had them check for recalls. 10/31/2014 brought it back as light was on again.11/15 brought in because it was not shifting properly it was like the lower gear didn't want to go into the higher gears and shifting really hard, they had it for two days this time.. during thanksgiving tire light came on the factory tire had a defect and had to go to the Goodyear dealer for them to replace it. Dec 27th called dealership again its not shifting correctly and engine light is on again, at a stop it jerked back and I had to turn the car off and restart in neutral to put back into park. All the lights came on in the dash. I thought I hit something but was just the transmission acting up. It red lines before switching gears took it to the dealership on 12/31/14 to figure out why this is still going on.. as of 1/11/15 it is still at the shop as they are waiting on more "updates" from Chrysler.

- Aiken, SC, USA

Dec 312014

Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

Earlier I reported about having trouble in second gear. Now the transmission is having problem and service transmission light came on in a brand new car with just under 7000 miles. The problem started with jerks during gear shifts from park to drive and vice-verse. Then, I could feel jerks while shifting from 4th to 5th gear and when it would shift back to 4th from 5th, the engine would rev upto 2000 RPM and then slow down. That was kind of dangerous as it would accelerate the vehicle where you need it to stop. All of a sudden, the service transmission light came on the vehicle would not move from 6th gear and I had to stop on the side of the highway. After switching the engine off and on again, the vehicle started driving but the same problem started repeating. I was on a vacation driving up North in North hampshire, Vermont and New York and I had to get back home. Somehow I was able to make it home. I'm still waiting for the dealer to give me a confirmation about a loaner car so that I can give it for repairs.

- Calverton, NY, USA

Dec 022013

The following are descriptions of various issues encountered with the automatic 9-speed transmission on the 4-cylinder 2wd 2014 Jeep Cherokee (latitude). Observations occurred in first 5000 miles since new. 1. sometimes, when downshifting from 2nd to 1st gear, the car lunges forward. Normally, its annoying, but sometimes, when stoping at a cross-walk car lunges at pedestrians. No incidents yet, but it can startle or anger pedestrians. Also, when pulling up to a tight intersection, car sometimes lunges forward causing nose of vehicle to protrude into intersection. (somewhat mitigated by flash updated, but not completely resolved) 2. often, but not always, during gentle and smooth acceleration when shifting from 1st to 2nd gear vehicle appears to stay too long in 1st gear resulting in decreased power, then when it shifts to 2nd gear, the vehicle lunges forward momentarily before resuming normal acceleration. (also, occurs, between 2nd and 3rd gear, but to a lesser extent.) 3. a few times during firm acceleration transmission hesitates resulting in complete loss of power for 1 or 2 seconds. 4. once, when driving down hill, the the brake was applied and vehicle was stopped. The transmission was switched from drive to reverse, and when brake pressure was released the vehicle continued to roll forward (downhill) for approximately 2 or 3 feet before the transmission finally engaged and went into reverse.

- Baton Rouge, LA, USA

Mar 072014

While traveling on a trip, I noticed I was loosing speed while going down a 4 lane road. I looked at the control center and the message was "service transmission and the check engine light was on". I was losing speed so pulled off on the side of the road. The engine had quit running and the Jeep would not go into any gear. We were in the desert 40 miles from no where! called a tow service they took us to the nearest Jeep dealer. Next morning the dealership called and said our Jeep was ready to go. Second time July 14, 2014 while traveling on a 2 lane highway I noticed I was losing speed. The message center said " check battery" again the engine shut down as I was moving to the side of the road. Contacted the service dept. Of our dealership. Was told to wait 10 min. Then try to start the Jeep. It did start and we made it back home. Third time, Nov. 20, 2014 while traveling noticed the Jeep would speed up when I let off the accelerator to slow down or coast. If I applied the brake the Jeep would then slow down. Noticed every time I let off the gas the Jeep would speed up not slow down. About 30 min. More of traveling time I again got the message "service transmission with the engine light on. I got over to the side of a 6 lane interstate highway and called for a tow truck again was taken to the nearest dealership. At that point 12, 967 miles on the odometer. Six days later when the dealership got around to the diagnosis on the Jeep they said it needs a new nine speed transmission. We were home at that time 460 away from where we had to leave the Jeep when it quit running. Being stranded on the side of a road in a new vehicle is not safe but unacceptable performance for a new vehicle.

- Reno, NV, USA

Dec 232014

Cherokee 4WD 4-cyl

My wife was on her way to work for the last day before christmas and got 2 blocks from the house before calling for help. The vehicle lost power and luckily she was able to get off of the road. It was rainy both the day before and that morning also. She said there was a message that came up saying shift into park and start the car. She couldn't get it to start again. I met her and after trying, got the car going but noticed that I didn't feel any response or hear any engine revving when pushing the gas pedal down. It also seemed to start fairly rough. She took my vehicle to work. I checked the vehicle later and it started ok. The battery voltage was the normal 12.6V and 14.7V when running. At first I thought it was a fluke. The next day as the vehicle wouldn't start. We decided to wait until fri morning with christmas being thurs. The vehicle did start before the flatbed towed it off to the dealer. The dealer had the vehicle all day and was about ready for me to pick it up when they noticed a loss in pressure at the fuel pump and decided to replace it. After we got the vehicle back it ran ok for a few days but then on 1/3/2015 it cut out again about two blocks from our house in the other direction.. it was again rainy outside. She again saw the same message. I met her and got it started again but also again noticed no reaction to stepping on the gas pedal. When I shifted it into reverse it then seemed to react to giving it gas fine and drove home ok. We took it to church and around town the next day and it seemed fairly normal. Having gone through rough shifting problems with this vehicle early and two transmission problems with Chrysler Grand Voyager and then this Jeep and the articles on this site that seem to be pointing to Jeep transmissions I think Chrysler better come up with the right fix very soon before someone gets killed.

- Middletown, MD, USA

Mar 062014

Vehicle has been taken to dealer for same issue 4 times. The information reflected indicates the first time that we brought the care in. Initially we took the care in because vehicle was shifting roughly and would sometimes delay before engaging gear when pressing accelerator. After vehicle reprogrammed and returned to customer it was being driven on freeway at normal speeds when the check transmission light came on, told driver to pull over and the vehicle lost ability to accelerate. Vehicle coasted to side of freeway and was towed to dealer who attempted to fix vehicle. Vehicle returned to customer, a short time later vehicle had same issue on freeway. Again towed to dealer who again attempted to repair vehicle and replaced transmission. A couple of months later while driving on the freeway again vehicle exhibited same exact behavior. Was towed to dealer awaiting resolution of issue. This problem represents a significant safety hazard. Review of similar incidents on this website as well as other websites indicates this is a widespread problem that tends to occur at high rates of speed when a complete loss of vehicle power is dangerous to both those driving the affected vehicle and those on the road.

- Niantic , CT, USA

Feb 172014

Transmission shifts very hard, makes driving dangerous when the car won't shift or go from a stop.

- Shaker Heights, OH, USA

Dec 282014

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. While at a stop, the service transmission and the check engine warning lights illuminated in the vehicle. The vehicle was towed to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the transmission module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 68,000.

- Kelseyville, CA, USA

Dec 082014

Cherokee 6-cyl

There had been several minor incidents before December,2014 but has been getting steadily worse. On 12/8/14 I backed out of my drive way on to the street and shifted into drive and the car would not move. There is a message that comes on:shift into park and start the car--which I did pulled back into the drive way and pulled out again only to get the same problem got the same message repeated the actions and the car became drivable. I took it into the dealer on Dec 11, 2014 they had it for two day and told me the car software was reset. On December 18, 2014 at 65 mph the car lost all power on the freeway and I had to coast across 5 lanes and had the same message. I restarted the car and it drove ok. I called Jeep the next day and have a claim number. My regular dealer can't take it for 10 days so I have a appointment for 12/23 different dealer.

- Oceanside, CA, USA

Dec 112014

Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

When attempting to turn from a center left turn lane the vehicle failed to up shift causing a near collision with oncoming traffic. Also, I was almost rear ended when the vehicle failed to up shift after a right turn.

- Grand Rapids, MI, USA