Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2014 Jeep Cherokee shows an early trend of transmission complaints. Most of the complaints are for rough shifting — things like jerking & hesitation when shifting gears.

We are keeping an eye on things but the 2014 Cherokee doesn't look like a good model year compared to past years.

2014 Jeep Cherokee drivetrain problems

2014 Jeep Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 23 of 28)

Apr 112014

Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

We took delivery of our 2014 Jeep Cherokee limited on March 14,2014. After driving it for approx 1 month we noticed a very prominent wobble/shimmy in the front end on acceleration, this stops after it shifts into 3rd gear. We took it back to the dealer with this issue, they agreed there was a problem. First the dealership replaced the rear shaft and it got worse, next they replaced the cv shafts and isolator bushing. These repairs did not fix the problem. Then we were told to drive the vehicle and it would get better. We now have 6000 miles on it and it has only gotten worse. We are now told that vehicle operates as designed"? who designs a vehicle to wobble/shimmy on acceleration" this is unacceptable and we will never buy another Jeep. We have owned 4 Jeep in the past.

- Blossvale, NY, USA

Jul 232014

When decelerating for a speed zone, the transmission downshifted from 5th to 4th, the rpms went up approximately 1000 and the car accelerated. The 'unintended' acceleration characteristic is also evident on downhill driving in the mountainous terrain. This occurs or a frequent basis and was evident prior to, and after, a transmission/tcm replacement. My wife no longer feels safe driving this vehicle and has gone back to using her Subaru for commuting. There are obvious issues with the engine/transmission control firmware/hardware which need to be addressed.

- Weaverville, CA, USA

Oct 222014

While slowing down, with my foot on the brake, as the car approached 20 mph, the RPM suddenly increased and the car accelerated. My foot was not on the accelerator. I tested this multiple times and it occurred every time!! also, the car has shifted roughly since the day we took it home. It is getting worse. I had to approach traffic lights more carefully to assure I was far enough behind other drivers so if the car lurched (it does), I would not hit the car in front. I am not certain, but it felt like the car was also doing this at about 70 mph. I did not have a chance to test this much. I took the car to the dealership and they said the transmission must be replaced!!! the car is 7 mos old. They said the transmission is not immediately available, so they do not know when I will get my car back!! omgosh! I want a new car! when I get this back, I will likely trade it.

- Gibsonville, NC, USA

Oct 032014

Cherokee 4-cyl

At freeway speed of 65, the vehicle suddenly had no power, went into neutral, and "service transmission" warning came on. Upon trying to accelerate to pull to the shoulder, the engine would simply rev rpms but provided no power, even after trying to shift between neutral and drive. After getting to the side of the road, the vehicle was shut off and turned back on, at which time the service transmission light was still on, but the vehicle worked again. The dealer replaced the entire transmission under warranty but provided no explanation of why it suddenly lost all power on the freeway and could have easily caused a wreck when trying to get over several lanes on a busy freeway.

- Anaheim, CA, USA

Oct 102014

Cherokee 6-cyl

So far, I have experienced three issues with my brand new Jeep Cherokee 2014. 1. when accelerating from a stopped position, the vehicle vibrates/wobbles, while at low first gear speeds. 2. when breaking to stop, a brief surge of acceleration happens just before the stop completes. 3. when accelerating from any speed, the vehicle hesitates with a jerkiness before shifting into gear. I plan to bring the vehicle into the dealership, but, research to date indicates there are no resolutions for these issues. I have owned the Jeep Cherokee for less than three weeks.

- Cocoa Beach, FL, USA

May 302014

I purchased a brand new Cherokee, followed the engine/drive train break in procedure as closely as I could, but started experiencing a side to side shimmy in the front end of my vehicle very shortly after purchase. The shimmy happens during acceleration from a stop and seems to disappear as soon as the vehicle shifts into 3rd gear. Typically I feel it in the gas pedal and the steering wheel, however it varies in intensity from stop to stop. Sometimes it is gone and sometimes it is enough to shake the whole vehicle. I have had the vehicle into the shop 3 times now and each time was told there is no fix for the problem and as far as I can tell was not even addressed.

- Denver, CO, USA

Jul 152014

When accelerating from a stop, between 13-20 mph just before the transmission shifts into the next gear the whole vehicle shimmies or wobbles for a few seconds. It happens every time, whether under hard or soft acceleration. It is also more noticeable when turning right. The passenger is even able to feel the shimmy, so it does not only transfer through the pedals or steering wheel. Axles have been replaced, software has been updated, but at this point in time there is no known fix for the vehicle.

- Le Roy, NY, USA

Aug 112014

Wobble in front end on acceleration. 2nd gear from 1200-2000 rpms. You can feel the vibration in driver and passenger seats. Two new front axles and other parts installed on a brand new vehicle. Also transmission flashed and still problems with rough shifting. I am in the case management group and waiting to here back from them. Don't feel safe in the vehicle but I have no other transportation.

- Bechtelsville, PA, USA

Sep 282014

Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

I had multiple cases of the car not moving in the morning (engine is fine). It felt as if a clutch was slipping. The first 2 times the dealer couldn't reproduce the problem. The 3rd time he reproduced the problem - and replaced the transmission valve-body and performed adaptive learning. This took nearly 2 weeks. A week later - the transmission failed near the summit of mt. Washington nh. My wife was driving and she felt that the car had no power - the gear was in manual, 1st gear. I turned the car back down and started descending. There seemed to be no engine braking and the brakes started to smoke and loose grip. I had to stop numerous times to let the brakes cool. The car is back at the dealers. They have been able to reproduce the problem - Chrysler advised them to put grease on a connector and drive the car a bit. If the problem doesn't repeat - they want to return the car to me as is. Chrysler's incompetence will get someone killed - this could happen crossing a railway. Turning left at a traffic light, or going down a long descent.

- Beachwood, OH, USA

Jul 302014

Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

Wobbly and shimmy front end on acceleration. Only in 2nd gear from 1700-2000 rpms. You can feel the vibration throughout the whole car, mainly steering wheel and seats. It happens approx. 6 times out of 10 when the car accelerates from a stop.

- Rochester Hills, MI, USA

Jul 222014

Cherokee 6-cyl

Started car in garage and in shifting to reverse, heard very loud clunking noise and transmission warning lights on dash turned on. Put in park, turned off vehicle, started again and same thing happened. Drove vehicle to dealer and car felt like it was stuck in 3rd gear. Slow acceleration at stop signs and while on highway, vehicle would not shift and was at 4000 RPM at 60 mph. Same thing has happened on 9/19/14 and 10/6/14. Dealer updated transmission software once and is waiting for new software update.

- Lincoln, NE, USA

Jun 272014

I was driving on expressway and vehicle slowed down service transmission light came on.also traction control lite, check engine and another light came on I was able to pull over vehicle would not shift to park.after several minutes I turned engine off.when I restarted vehicle and shifted to park the shifter got rough and jumped to park.since then the Jeep has been at the dealer 2 more times for the same problem. Got it back on 10/8/14 and feel very unsafe driving it.this is my fourth Jeep and I never had a problem with the other ones.

- Miami, FL, USA

Oct 082014

Cherokee 4-cyl

This is a followup complaint to (ODI number) 10618847 & (ODI number) 10620977. Today while driving in traffic the 2014 Jeep Cherokee I was driving stopped accelerating while I was driving and displayed a service transmission error and message saying to put the vehicle into park. The check engine light also came on. The vehicle was towed to a different dealership this time as the one I purchased from was out of range for Jeep roadside assist. This is clearly a major problem with this vehicle and Jeep has not been helpful getting it resolved thus-far as this is the third time it has occurred in as many months.

- Canton, MA, USA

Sep 282014

Cherokee 4-cyl

While driving in light to moderate traffic as well as stop and go traffic, vehicle would routinely surge forward immediately after slowing and or break when foot was removed from brake pedal. Cruise control had not been used or engaged at anytime.

- Rosemead, CA, USA

Sep 272014

Cherokee 4-cyl

At highway speeds, vehicle would routinely become locked into a single gear and fail to shift beyond that point until the vehicle was turned off and then restarted. Upon restart vehicle would travel approx 10-15 miles before vehicle would again not shift and have to be turned off and restarted. This cycle repeated numerous times and on subsequent days.

- Rosemead, CA, USA

Sep 032014

Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

The vehicle wobbles and shakes due to a jerky movement when it shift to 2nd gear. It drives with jerk all throughout 2nd gear till it changes into 3rd gear. At first I thought the vehicle was new and I should wait for break in but the same still continues and my odometer reads 1900. I feel like it is something to do with the clutch plates for 2nd gear.

- Calverton, NY, USA

Aug 282014

Cherokee 4WD 4-cyl

Car stalled 6X with my 4 and 5 year olds in the vehicle. Smoke billows out of back of car. Ignition coil, spark plugs, filter and oil replaced. 9/2/14 car shifting incorrectly. Computer system reset due to transmission issues. Customer told to bring back after drives 500 miles for oil consumption test. 9/29/14 oil consumption test failed. Pvc intake valve replaced. Dealer to drive car 250 miles and test oil consumption again. As of 10/3, no resolution. Customer has requested replacement from manufacturer. Not approved as of yet.

- Westfield, NJ, USA

Aug 012014

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. While driving at an unknown speed, the vehicle shook and vibrated when shifting between first and second gear. The dealer was unable to determine the cause of the failure. The contact indicated that both front axles and motor mounts were replaced. The computer was also updated, but the failure persisted. The manufacturer was notified of the failures, but no solution was offered. The failure mileage was 1,000.

- Elkins, WV, USA

Aug 202014

Cherokee 6-cyl

Driving at 70 miles per hour, vehicle suddenly stop accelerate, all lights came on dash, read service transmission.

- San Dimas , CA, USA

Jul 082014

Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

Transmission shifts hard from 1st to 2nd, and from 2nd to 3rd. It also has a pronounced "wobble after it shifts from 1st into 2nd gear, and continues until it shifts hard into 3rd gear at about 20 mph. After a stop will not go into 1st gear for a second or two, then abruptly surges forward with more speed than the amount of accelerator you are giving it. When decelerating, the transmission will actually go into 4th gear and add fuel causing the tachometer to go up between 500 and 1000 RPM. The transmission although touted as a "9 speed", is useless, as it will not go in either automatically or manually at any speed below 75 or 76 mph even though it easily could at 67 or 68 mph with sufficient RPM to still maintain speed. This Jeep is equipped with the towing package from the factory. Towing a 17' boat traveling over 300 miles, the car ran normally on the way to the destination shifting when it needed to and even going into 8th gear a good deal of the trip. On the return trip, the transmission refused to shift out of 5th gear even though the tach was registering 3K to 4K RPM even when going downhill. It also seemed to be losing power and having difficulty going up slight grades on the interstate. A few times I got it into 7th gear by completely letting up on the gas going downhill but as soon as we started up a slight grade it would again go into 5th and not shift into a higher gear. When I reported these problems to the dealer, I was told that this is normal operation for this transmission / vehicle. I've never had a car that did these things and could be called "normal operation". I feel this transmission is a clear danger to all who have bought this vehicle, and the NHTSA really needs to look into this and have Chrysler do something soon to rectify these problems before major accidents, injuries, and death are the outcome.

- Erie, PA, USA