CarComplaints.com Notes: There's no way around it, the Cherokee's transmission is junk. There's no other explanation for why a vehicle, usually with under 40,000 miles, would have so many complaints

2014 Jeep Cherokee drivetrain problems

2014 Jeep Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 23 of 31)

Mar 212015

Cherokee

After a complete stop at a stop sign, "service transmission" message appeared on the speedometer, check engine light turned on, car was beeping all over the place, and could not accelerate after stepping on the gas pedal 3 times. I had to turn off the car and restart the car on the spot. After restarting the car, engine light stayed on and I was able to drive home. Prior to this incident the check engine light has been on and off for about a few months since I purchased the vehicle on November of 2013. Seems like other Jeep Cherokee owners are also experiencing similar problems if not more serious and fatal. Several complaints found on this forum (www.aboutautomobile.com/complaint/2014/Jeep/Cherokee/power+train) regarding the issue reported that their vehicles lost power on the highway. Other even had trouble with their gears. Also the car would accelerate a little more even the driver had let go of the gas. This is definitely a serious problem and needs to be addressed and investigated immediately before someone gets hurt or even killed.

- Rowland Heights, CA, USA

Sep 032014

Cherokee 4-cyl

We purchased this vehicle new, with 4,658 miles on it and within the first day, we noticed the extremely rough shifting between 2nd 4th gears. After several PCM reprograms and a new transmission, it is still doing the rough shifting and continues to worsen. In heavy traffic, the accelerator is inconsistent, sluggishly moving forward on one occasion and lunging forward as if the gas pedal was mashed to the floor on the next. Same can be said for braking; rough down shifting and often times feeling as though the vehicle is still trying to accelerate as if the gas pedal is still pressed even though the brake is being applied. In another incident, I started the vehicle, with my foot on the brake shifted it to drive, then began to release the pressure from the brake to inch forward, when it suddenly lurched forward nearly striking my parents. Additionally, the vehicle now seems to be driving itself. When entering my neighborhood doing approximately 25mph, upon letting up on the gas completely, the vehicle maintains the rpms and speed on a flat surface as if the cruise control is on. We have filed for the md lemon law with Chrysler, but after a test drive with one of the their reps where the car was not as violent in the shifting but still quite rough, the rep declared the vehicle as ¿¿performing as designed and its the adaptive learning of the vehicle and closed the case.this vehicle is completely unpredictable and inconsistent, and quite frankly, unsafe and nerve racking to drive. My wife will not drive nor ride in it any longer for fear of an accident, nor will she allow our son to ride in it. In my 28 years of driving, I have never owned nor driven a vehicle that actually made me feel unsafe in. As I stated to the rep on the test drive: With this vehicle, it's not a matter of if this thing gets in an accident, but rather when!

- Waldorf, MD, USA

Feb 272015

Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

While driving in a Suburban environment, I was coasting to yield for merging traffic. After checking for oncoming vehicles, I pushed the gas pedal to merge, but the car would not accelerate causing me to nearly get hit by another driver. This seems to occur only on rolling stops/yields, and appears to be a result of the transmission holding third gear, and not downshifting into first or second gear to provide adequate acceleration. This happens frequently and is more pronounced on hills. In order to regain adequate acceleration, you must mash the throttle which produces a hard jerk and clunk as the transmission engages a lower gear.

- Columbia, MO, USA

Mar 122015

Cherokee

When accelerating from a stop, the transmission either grabs and lurches or it seems to slip while it searches for the right gear. The dealer kept the car for a day and re-installed a software upgrade. This did not help. The problem persisted. When we took the car back to the dealer again, they stated that the car is "operating as designed" and "even installing a new transmission would not help". we contacted Chrysler customer center and explained the issue to them and they called the dealer and stated that we would need to "learn to work with the transmission" and that they have to go with what the dealer tells them. The car is continuing to have this problem.

- Elk Grove, CA, USA

Feb 282015

Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. While driving approximately 70 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The contact coasted to the shoulder and the service transmission warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was towed to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the transmission failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 6,700. Updated 5/5/15 the consumer stated the while driving up hill the vehicle would not accelerate. The speed would drop to 5mph before it would shoot up the hill. The failure began to occur about 2 weeks after the new transmission was installed. The consumer no longer owns the vehicle. Updated 11/17/2015

- Camp Hill, PA, USA

Sep 012014

Cherokee

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. While driving at various speeds, the vehicle erroneously shifted into neutral or shifted out of gear and failed to accelerate. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who diagnosed that the transmission computer chip was faulty. The computer chip was reprogrammed but the vehicle continued to experience the failure. The vehicle was taken to the dealer multiple times due to the failure. Also, the contact indicated that the rear passenger side seat belts would erroneously unlatch while the vehicle was in motion. The cause of the failure was not diagnosed. The manufacturer was not notified of the failures. The failure mileage was 15,000.

- Fredrick, MD, USA

Mar 052015

Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

On February 20, 2015, I received the latest transmission software update to my 2014 Jeep Cherokee. The update seemed to be an improvement, but ever since about March 5, I have been having acceleration issues. When leaving in the morning for work or leaving work to go home, I have about a 200 yard drive to the main road. When pulling out onto the main road, the vehicle is often not accelerating or shifting at all. In order to get it to accelerate, I need to put the throttle all the way to the floor (seriously) before it will accelerate. This has put me in some very bad circumstances, and it seems to only occur when the vehicle has been sitting for 8 hours or more. I have placed a matching complaint via the Jeep website.

- Grand Rapids, MI, USA

Mar 012014

Cherokee 4-cyl

Car has experienced significant transmission issues since taking delivery on 1/26/14. Hard shifting between 1, 2 and 3rd gears both up shifting and down shifting. Down shifting feels like being rear ended when gear engages and car will jump forward to a stop. If car has not fully shifted into 1st gear before acceleration (as in slow/go, stop/go traffic) it will jump into gear, again feeling like the car has been rear ended or kicked. Significant hesitation engaging gears during acceleration especially entering the freeway. Sometimes on deceleration the RPM revs up and the car feels like it is going to "break loose" and I have to press the brake to engage gears. The dealer has attempted to resolve these issues 5 times without success. The first time car went in for transmission issues it had only 1267 miles on the odometer. Car is back in the shop again today, March 16, 2015, the 6th time for the same issues.

- Pismo Beach, CA, USA

Mar 112015

Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

My vehicle has been giving lots of trouble since I purchased it. It decides to shutdown by itself when it wants to. It has put me in several scary situations. Uselly I am on the hwy in the left lane and it decides to shut down. Giving me only about 45 seconds to get over. The emergency brake warning lights along with traction, battery, transmission, engine the car doesn't know what to do. It has been back to the dealer for 3 computer updates.in addition..... the second to the last time they put in a brake switch. Now they have my car. Putting in some kind of tcm box. The car also hesitates. Blinker goes on by itself decides to accelerate on its own etc. I do not believe my car will be fixed. It has been happening since early December I have a lemon. It is a very dangerous car. I have made a total of 5 payments on this car.

- Heath , MA, USA

Mar 122015

Cherokee 6-cyl

My Jeep transmission is shifting out of gear, accelerating and driving up the rpms going downhill while I am trying to brake, jumping out of gear and speeding up, or revving up at random moments. This is causing very dangerous driving conditions as my vehicle takes off when it should be slowing down or speeds up for no reason and I have to slam the brakes to get the transmission to "reset". when its in these conditions it revs up the motor and often shifts very hard into the next gear. I did record this on video as its happening to demonstrate how difficult it is to drive the vehicle this way. Its two weeks before the car dealership can take my car and inspect it, so, I am driving around at risk.

- Radford, VA, USA

Mar 082015

Cherokee 6-cyl

Bought in August 2014; recently noticed a "chunky/jumpy" shift from reverse (out of driveway) into drive; and then when decelerating around a curve at 10-15 mph there was some similar jumpy downshifting in my 3.2L V6 24valve vvt 9-speed auto model; taken into dealership for "re-flash" of software.

- Austin, TX, USA

Mar 082015

Cherokee

Problem: Driving down I79 clunk sound "D" on shifter starts blinking service transmission message appears service parking brake appears mil check engine light comes on ESC indicator light comes on *pulled off to the side of the interstate turned car off, then back on repeated 4 times drove to a safe location called roadside assistance had car towed to dealership this is the second time this car has had a transmission failure on the interstate at 70 mph. I am now scared of this car. This is unacceptable and disappointing for a new $34,000 vehicle with 15,601 miles on it. First time this happened and was serious enough to complain about was Dec. 14, 2014.

- Fairmont, WV, USA

Feb 152015

Cherokee

I was driving on the freeway when the car started decelerating rapidly, the "park" icon came on and the message center said "unable to shift gears while in park, check transmission" and the engine light came on. I was unable to accelerate. Thankfully, I was able to pull over to the shoulder but the car would not shift gears. I turned the car off and immediately turned it back on and the car was still unable to shift gears, I could feel the car trying to shift gears but couldn't. engine light and unable to shift gears/check transmission message still appearing. I turned off the car a second time and waited a minute or two and turned the car back on. At that point, I was able to shift gears and accelerate again, however, the "check engine" light would not go off.

- Clawson, MI, USA

Feb 062015

Cherokee 4-cyl

When shifting from park to reverse or drive, the vehicle will occasionally not shift into gear, even though the display and shift control indicates that the car is in reverse or drive. When this happens, when I release the brake and apply the gas, the car does not move. This happens about once every 10-15 times the car is shifted from park. The most serious incident happened when I was parked uphill. I shifted the car into drive, but when I pushed the accelerator pedal the car did not move forward but instead started rolling backward. I had to move the shifter into park, and again into drive before the gear would engage. Additionally, there have been times that the car will not accelerate after being stopped at an intersection. When I apply the gas, the car will hesitate for 1-2 seconds before engaging and moving forward. I am concerned that these issues will end up placing myself or my occupants in danger if an emergency situation arises while on the road, or if the transmission fails completely and I roll back into another car.

- San Francisco, CA, USA

Feb 262014

Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

I purchased this vehicle on 2/11/2014 after retiring with the idea I wouldn't need repairs for several years the first problem was on 2/26/14 which was a leak @ canister they replaced evap canister. After that I have had it in several times for a vibration from the front from takeoff & turning beginning before the first oil (approximately 2000 miles)change they kept telling me they didn't feel it. On 6/25/14 they said it was coming from the ptu and replaced it, but it continued with the same problem. The next few times they continued to state that they didn't feel it, on 7/29/14 they stated that they were replacing both front axles per star when we picked it up it still had the shimmy, then on 8/15/14 I was pulling out onto a major highway from a county road & the vehicle would not move the vehicle would sit & rev while I was partially on the highway this time they found the right axle out of ptu too short & replaced again, since then every time I call or go in their I get the same run around their waiting for a fix from Chrysler. This has been going on for a year and I feel like the dealer ship is giving us no satisfaction this vehicle is a $35,000 car at the very least they need to resolve this problem or at least upgrade the vehicle. I now have 13,000 miles & feel I have been more than patient all I ever here from them at the dealership is their waiting on a fix from Chrysler a year should be long enough to come up with a fix.!!!!!!!!! I guess my next alternative is my husband has spoken to an attorney.

- Remington, IN, USA

Nov 112014

Cherokee

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the vehicle decelerated as the check engine warning indicator illuminated. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the transmission failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was no repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 5,400.

- Ward Cove, AK, USA

Jan 192015

Cherokee

Car began to loose power and started bucking was traveling at 70 mph...then it started thrashing numerous codes and all the lights on the dash started flashing this was followed by a big downshift and then a bang total loss of power on a major freeway. When the car came to a stop it would not disengage from drive then after turning the car off I was able to put it in park. After restarting it all the strong message lights were on as well as different computer messages like check brake, check engine. If you put it in gear it would make a big cluck but no power would only idle. When driving at highway speed the at car looses power and starts to buck and downshift to a lower gear then transmission disengages. Engine stay running but there is no power and nothing happens when you depress gas pedal. This is very dangerous as it happens consistently. Also the transmission many time keeps randomly switching between gears. Dealer again says its a software issue in the transmission. Software recodes have not fixed the problem.

Dec 032014

Cherokee

When driving at highway speed the at car looses power and starts to buck and downshift to a lower gear then transmission disengages. Engine stay running but there is no power and nothing happens when you depress gas pedal. This is very dangerous as it happens consistently. Also the transmission many time keeps randomly switching between gears. Dealer says its a software issue in the transmission. Software updates have not fixed the problem.

Nov 202014

Cherokee

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. While driving approximately 60 mph, the vehicle lost acceleration. Afterward, the vehicle would jerk while in motion. The vehicle was towed to the dealer and the transmission software was updated; however, the failure recurred multiple times. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 25,515.

Feb 242015

Cherokee 6-cyl

My vehicle stopped accelerating forcing me to pull to the side of the road. The service transmission light flashed on and I turned my vehicle off. When I started it back up it allowed me to drive but the "D" symbol flashed and it still stated that the service transmission was in use. When I stopped at red lights the message "shift into park and then into desired gear" appeared. This was the second time this occurred, the first time happening at the end of 2014. I took the vehicle into the dealership I bought it from and they fixed it, I will be doing this again this week. The dealership was al deeby in clarkston, mi.

- Waterford, MI, USA