CarComplaints.com Notes: There's no way around it, the Cherokee's transmission is junk. There's no other explanation for why a vehicle, usually with under 40,000 miles, would have so many complaints

2014 Jeep Cherokee drivetrain problems

2014 Jeep Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 23 of 30)

Jan 262015

Cherokee 4-cyl

This car has been nothing but trouble since 1500 miles off the lot brand new Jeep. And then at 2800 and then at 3000 miles they replaced the power control module then two more times for software update. Then at 10250 they tell me the transmission has gone and needs to be replaced. As if anything else can go wrong with this car the tires they put on from the dealership Firestone my aft right tire split on the sidewall for no reason at all the only damage on the tire was the crack on the tire. So not only is the car defective but the wheels from Firestone as well. Has anyone else experienced my horrible luck.

- Quakertown , PA, USA

Aug 262014

Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

I was backing my Jeep into my yard with a utility trailer attached. I heard a noise and I pushed the gear shift up into park and opened my door to step out of the vehicle and make sure I had not hit something. As I stepped out the vehicle started moving backwards and the driver door struck me knocking me to the ground on my back. The left front tire rolled over my pelvic area causing serious injury. Vehicle crashed into a fence and jack knifed the trailer. Complained to Chrysler and they had the vehicle inspected and I received a letter saying they could find no defect. Since then I have had another incident where when I shift from reverse to park it does not engage and slips back into reverse. Fortunately I am more careful and know to double check the shifting mechanism. Does not do it all of the time. May be related to towing. Others who have a late model Chrysler vehicle with this type of transmission and shifting mechanism need to be aware of this problem and need to be sure the vehicle goes into park when shifted and does not slip out once foot is off of the brake.

- Morganton, NC, USA

Feb 122015

Cherokee

Just entering the highway doing the speed limit of 70 mph with my newborn child all of a sudden my car suddenly stalled / shook/ and halted while trying to find a safe place to pull over on the higher way. The service transmission light came on. This is a huge safety concern that I had to somehow find a way to pull over on the side of a major highway with an infant in the car while my car was stalling out.

- Naples, FL, USA

Mar 082014

Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

Chrysler's new 9 speed transmission started always speeding up when I would let off the gas and expect the vehicle to slow down, even when I just wanted to slow down while coming to a stop light or stop sign. When I hit the brake the vehicle would only then slow down. It scared me when the vehicle would accelerate on it's own. Shifting got very jerky and uneven seemed like could not decide which gear it should be in. While on the freeway in las vegas the message center said"service transmission and the engine light stayed on. When I was able to exit the freeway the transmission sounded like it had sand in it, a very loud grinding sound and there was no power to move the vehicle. I did get it to coast into a safe location to wait for the tow truck to come and get the vehicle. This was the second time this vehicle had a problem the first time was at 3,000 miles. Had the same message on the message center, again I coasted off the highway and came to a stop. At this time the transmission would not engage so the vehicle would not move. It was towed to a Jeep dealer where they said the computer needed an up date for the transmission, they did it and off we went not knowing that we would be left sitting on the side of the road a second time. I did not see a compliant for this type vehicle on your complaints box at this web-site but I have entered this compliant with you before.

- Reno, NV, USA

Sep 192014

Cherokee 6-cyl

I took delivery of my new 2014 Jeep Cherokee on September 16, 2014. Right from the start I started having transmission issues. Chrysler Jeep said that they were going to open a "case file" on the car and to return the car to the service manager at the dealership. I took the car into the dealership, and explained what the representative had told me. The service manager said that there was no "case file" opened on my vehicle and that nobody from Chrysler Jeep had contacted them. A couple weeks later I received a call from Chrysler Jeep saying that the case file was "closed" because "I failed to take the car in to the dealership". last Tuesday (February 3rd) after a really bad snowstorm I was driving home when the person in the lane next to me began sliding into my lane. I began applying brake but it was obvious that I needed to apply power to get ahead of her. When I came off the brake and applied heavy power there was nothing there. The engine revved up but the car didn't go anywhere. Then the vehicle dropped into gear and lurched really bad, and the back end of the car started to spin around on me. All of the sudden the front tires started digging in and whipped me straight. I was totally out of control and it seemed like the transmission had a mind of its own. Luckily I didn't hit anything but did end up in a parking lot. After sitting for a second (and the person who almost struck me stopped to see if I was ok), I put the car back in gear and drove back out onto the street and immediately a "4-wheel drive not available" error message came on. This car is dangerous. Chrysler Jeep has shown only superficial interest in fixing the problem. It shouldn't be driven on snowy roads. I hope that someone with the authority to do something can address this major issue before people start getting killed. This is beyond a "lemon" issue. Updated 4/12/16

- Brooklyn, MI, USA

Jan 272015

Cherokee

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 70 mph, the service transmission warning light illuminated. The vehicle stalled. The vehicle was able to restart after several attempts. The failure occurred on two occasions. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 16,000. The VIN was not available.

- East Vale, CA, USA

Oct 072014

Cherokee 6-cyl

The first incident in October Jeep came to complete stop on highway.also would accelerate on its own. It was towed to dealership. They drove it sent info to Chrysler they said it needed transmission replaced. Was in shop 22 days. Dec.30 2014 towed back to dealership, for several issues. Would not take off when you pressed gas pedal after 2 attempts it lunge and began moving, driving in traffic pressed the brake and it did not slow down instead it speed up after pressing break harder it slowed. Few days later it would not shift out sounded like it in first gear.they once again replaced the transmission and updated the soft ware. It sounds like the shocks are bad but they didn't address this issue either. It rides and feels like it sways all over the road. This Jeep Cherokee latitude was bought new in 2014. I think it is seriously a road hazard.

- Berryville, AR, USA

Feb 132014

Cherokee 4-cyl

The new 9-speed transmission on the vehicle shifts very poorly. Very harsh shifts at slow speeds from 1st to 2nd gear. There has been a few times when the car did not want to shift out of first and when it did, it slammed real hard into second gear. Also, car will not shift into 9th gear unless you are coasting downhill and going over 70 mph and when it does, there is a clunking noise. Also when driving and need to accelerate suddenly, there is a very large lag time from when you step on the gas pedal and when the car reacts about 4-6 seconds.

- Redwood City, CA, USA

Oct 072014

Cherokee 4WD 4-cyl

2014 Jeep Cherokee. Consumer writes in regards to transmission problems. The consumer stated on October 7, 2014 as she pulled out onto the highway, the vehicle stalled. She managed to drift to the side of the road. She let the vehicle sit for a minute and then re-started it. She bean to drive and the vehicle began to buck and lost power. She pulled over for a second time and let it sit for a minute, attempted to re-start it which was successful, but she couldn't go over 25 mph. She drove to the dealer. The dealer kept the vehicle for a week. A diagnostic test revealed a problem with the transmission. One month later, as she was pulling out onto the main road, the vehicle lost power again. She managed to get the vehicle to the dealer. A diagnostics test revealed the vehicle shut off, due to low oil. The consumer claimed the vehicle wasn't scheduled for an oil changed for another 1,000 miles. The dealer advised the consumer to bring the vehicle back within 3,000 to see if the vehicle was burning oil.

- Monroeville, PA, USA

Feb 142014

Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

While turning at a stop light the car slipped into neutral. Check engine light came on, service transmission message on dash, parking brake light came on and also traction control light. Pulled over and restarted car still would not engage into to drive. Had to let car sit for 30 minutes then restarted and went back in to drive. Made it to dealership but slipped out of gear one more time on the 20 minute drive. The exact thing has happened 2 more times and has now been at the dealership 3 times in 2 weeks. Afraid for my safety at this point!

- Canton, MI, USA

Jan 052015

Cherokee

While driving on flat terrain at a constant highway speed the car suddenly decelerated for a few seconds with the tachometer needle swaying back and forth and then returned to normal operation. This recurred 5 minutes later. The dealer indicated that it was a transmission software problem and loaded the latest software release. Two weeks later the problem occurred again.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Jan 132015

Cherokee

Driving on local street about 25 mph when service transmission warning comes on. Vehicle would not shift beyond 2nd gear, transmission began slipping and eventually would only shift into drive or reverse after delays of about ten seconds. Vehicle needed to be towed in to dealer.

- New York, NY, USA

Aug 292014

Cherokee 4WD 4-cyl

I bought this 2014 Jeep Cherokee sport in August 2014. It had approx. 300 miles on it. Noticed a strong "shimmy" in the Jeep after it shifts to 2nd gear. The shimmy goes away after increased speed. Took it to the dealer and the tech drove it and noticed the shimmy also. He checked for any sbs. Chrysler said to replace the front half-shafts. This was done 2 weeks later. The shimmy was still there when I picked it up. The tech said there was a "break in period" of 3000 mi and it would go away. There is no such thing as a break in period for this part. The vehicle has had 3 software upgrades on the tranny to ease harsh shifting. This works for about 1 month and then back to harsh shifting. The shifting gets better as the vehicle warms up but the shimmy is there no matter what temp. Talked to the service manager at the dealer and he rode in it today (1/21/14) and noticed the shimmy. We then drove another 2014 Jeep Cherokee, it did not have a shimmy he said he would reopen the star case with Chrysler to try to resolve the issue..this is a $30,000 vehicle with 2000 miles. It should not be doing this, and I am sick of hearing "this is normal" from service techs when they have no clue why it is doing this. When it goes back in this time, this will number 3. if it is not repaired correctly and the shimmy and trans. Issues are still there, Chrysler will buying it back per lemon law.

- Tacoma, WA, USA

Dec 072014

Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

On December 7th, the car (2014 Jeep Cherokee with 12,600 miles) lost power unexpectedly while I approached a stoplight, and had to be coasted to the side of the road. We waited approximately 10 minutes, and it restarted. No warning or check engine lights came on. Over the next several days, we had approximately 3 instances where the car either wouldn't start, or would lose power. Still no warning lights came on indicating an issue. As we believed this to be a potential safety issue, we took it to the local Jeep dealership and asked them to check it out. They kept it for 6 days and indicated that they could not recreate the issue. We picked the car up on Dec. 16th. On December 25 the car again lost all power while driving (lost engine, power steering, and power breaks). Fortunately this occurred on a local road and the car was able to be coasted to stop without incident. This time several indicators illuminated including the 'check engine' light. We had the car towed the next day to the same dealer. At the time of this writing, the dealership has had the car 22 days, and still have not been able to diagnose the issue. They did replace the PCM, however this did not correct the issue. I'm filing this complaint because of the potential safety issue. I also have a concern because Jeep is not able to properly diagnose the problem in a reasonable amount of time.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Aug 142014

Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

Two problems came up at around the same time. The car was delivered with the transmission 4 quarts low on fluid. The car was slipping out of gear, lurching and shuddering. The transmission is a sealed unit so there was no way for me to know that. Then the dash display went completely dark. No feedback was given, its a digital display. So I had no speedometer, tachometer etc and the warning lights were out. I feel like a vehicle with no dash display that slips out of gear when passing or lurches forward when stopping could be dangerous to other drivers and pedestrians.

- Camarillo, CA, USA

Jan 132015

Cherokee

Driving on major highway. Heard loud bang then "service transmission indication and loss of traction" came on. I lost all power with no way to keep up my speed. I hit my 4 way flashers and the tractor trailer truck behind me had to brake hard and went into the grass median. I finally coasted to the berm and we got out to make sure everybody was ok. This could have ended in a very different way. I feel it is not safe for me or my family to drive the vehicle. If the tractor trailer driver was not paying attention I could have been killed.

- Hilliard, OH, USA

Jun 252014

Cherokee

On 6/24/2014 was driving down highway when engine light came on for the first time, there was no loss of power or anything the light just came on. Called dealership as I had only had the vehicle 35 days. Brought it in was the air intake dealership had it for 5 days. Then in October 27th engine light came on again. Called dealership brought it back in light went off when I brought it up there had them check for recalls. 10/31/2014 brought it back as light was on again.11/15 brought in because it was not shifting properly it was like the lower gear didn't want to go into the higher gears and shifting really hard, they had it for two days this time.. during thanksgiving tire light came on the factory tire had a defect and had to go to the Goodyear dealer for them to replace it. Dec 27th called dealership again its not shifting correctly and engine light is on again, at a stop it jerked back and I had to turn the car off and restart in neutral to put back into park. All the lights came on in the dash. I thought I hit something but was just the transmission acting up. It red lines before switching gears took it to the dealership on 12/31/14 to figure out why this is still going on.. as of 1/11/15 it is still at the shop as they are waiting on more "updates" from Chrysler.

- Aiken, SC, USA

Dec 312014

Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

Earlier I reported about having trouble in second gear. Now the transmission is having problem and service transmission light came on in a brand new car with just under 7000 miles. The problem started with jerks during gear shifts from park to drive and vice-verse. Then, I could feel jerks while shifting from 4th to 5th gear and when it would shift back to 4th from 5th, the engine would rev upto 2000 RPM and then slow down. That was kind of dangerous as it would accelerate the vehicle where you need it to stop. All of a sudden, the service transmission light came on the vehicle would not move from 6th gear and I had to stop on the side of the highway. After switching the engine off and on again, the vehicle started driving but the same problem started repeating. I was on a vacation driving up North in North hampshire, Vermont and New York and I had to get back home. Somehow I was able to make it home. I'm still waiting for the dealer to give me a confirmation about a loaner car so that I can give it for repairs.

- Calverton, NY, USA

Dec 022013

Cherokee

The following are descriptions of various issues encountered with the automatic 9-speed transmission on the 4-cylinder 2wd 2014 Jeep Cherokee (latitude). Observations occurred in first 5000 miles since new. 1. sometimes, when downshifting from 2nd to 1st gear, the car lunges forward. Normally, its annoying, but sometimes, when stoping at a cross-walk car lunges at pedestrians. No incidents yet, but it can startle or anger pedestrians. Also, when pulling up to a tight intersection, car sometimes lunges forward causing nose of vehicle to protrude into intersection. (somewhat mitigated by flash updated, but not completely resolved) 2. often, but not always, during gentle and smooth acceleration when shifting from 1st to 2nd gear vehicle appears to stay too long in 1st gear resulting in decreased power, then when it shifts to 2nd gear, the vehicle lunges forward momentarily before resuming normal acceleration. (also, occurs, between 2nd and 3rd gear, but to a lesser extent.) 3. a few times during firm acceleration transmission hesitates resulting in complete loss of power for 1 or 2 seconds. 4. once, when driving down hill, the the brake was applied and vehicle was stopped. The transmission was switched from drive to reverse, and when brake pressure was released the vehicle continued to roll forward (downhill) for approximately 2 or 3 feet before the transmission finally engaged and went into reverse.

- Baton Rouge, LA, USA

Mar 072014

Cherokee

While traveling on a trip, I noticed I was loosing speed while going down a 4 lane road. I looked at the control center and the message was "service transmission and the check engine light was on". I was losing speed so pulled off on the side of the road. The engine had quit running and the Jeep would not go into any gear. We were in the desert 40 miles from no where! called a tow service they took us to the nearest Jeep dealer. Next morning the dealership called and said our Jeep was ready to go. Second time July 14, 2014 while traveling on a 2 lane highway I noticed I was losing speed. The message center said " check battery" again the engine shut down as I was moving to the side of the road. Contacted the service dept. Of our dealership. Was told to wait 10 min. Then try to start the Jeep. It did start and we made it back home. Third time, Nov. 20, 2014 while traveling noticed the Jeep would speed up when I let off the accelerator to slow down or coast. If I applied the brake the Jeep would then slow down. Noticed every time I let off the gas the Jeep would speed up not slow down. About 30 min. More of traveling time I again got the message "service transmission with the engine light on. I got over to the side of a 6 lane interstate highway and called for a tow truck again was taken to the nearest dealership. At that point 12, 967 miles on the odometer. Six days later when the dealership got around to the diagnosis on the Jeep they said it needs a new nine speed transmission. We were home at that time 460 away from where we had to leave the Jeep when it quit running. Being stranded on the side of a road in a new vehicle is not safe but unacceptable performance for a new vehicle.

- Reno, NV, USA