Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2014 Jeep Cherokee shows an early trend of transmission complaints. Most of the complaints are for rough shifting — things like jerking & hesitation when shifting gears.

We are keeping an eye on things but the 2014 Cherokee doesn't look like a good model year compared to past years.

2014 Jeep Cherokee drivetrain problems

2014 Jeep Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 26 of 28)

Jul 022014

Cherokee 6-cyl

As described in previous published complaints, the transmission on my 2014 Jeep Cherokee trail hawk is malfunctioning (software and/or hardware) almost from the start. The last incident--after a previous service at a Jeep dealership--was the worst. While sitting at a stop sign (on my way to another dealership to have the vehicle serviced again for "service transmission" message), the "D" started flashing and the message"shift to P then desired gear" appeared. I followed the message's instructions but as I shifted into "D" the vehicle lunged forward (slightly into the near lane of the cross street). If a pedestrian had been walking in front of the vehicle (crossing the street) at that moment he or she may have been hit. If a car had been passing on the cross street in the near lane there could have been an accident. Fiat Chrysler delayed the sale of the Jeep Cherokee because of software problems. It appears to me from this site --(and other Jeep Cherokee forums) and from Fiat Chrysler's CEO's own words--that the software problems have not been properly addressed. NHTSA needs to act.

- Portage, MI, USA

May 122014

Cherokee 4-cyl

Erratic shifting, both upshifting and downshifting. Causes car to jerk forward when down and up shifting. Car came to a complete stopped then lunged forward causing me to bump into another car. The car down shifted then felt like it was in neutral then jumped into gear again and jumped forward. This car has less than 4000 miles on it now and has been in the shop twice to address this issue since we had it, but the issue still exist. I am deeply worried about this since my wife is afraid to drive the car at times now. It's not clear what Chrysler was thinking when they released vehicles with faulty transmissions. Not only is this a safety issue, this problem also devalues the car. Who would want to purchase or accept this car as a trade-in with a known transmission problem?

- Bryans Road, MD, USA

Jul 112014

Faulty transmission.

- Islip, NY, USA

Jan 102014

Cherokee 6-cyl

Within 10 days of the purchase of my new Jeep Cherokee trailhwak I was traveling slowly through a parking lot and approached a speed bump. After traveling over the speed bump I depressed the accelerator when I noticed the vehicle would not accelerate and the transmission sounded as if it was grinding and almost as of something was loose. That particular issue always happens when traveling over a speed bump. I'm now 7 months into ownership and the transmission is very sluggish. Hesitation is normal when accelerating from a stop and really nearly constant. When the car was new I just assumed it was a slow/sluggish transmission but after reading much feedback I understand now it is very common.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Jul 072014

Cherokee 6-cyl

Transmission safety complaint : built 1/2014 delivered 6/2014 purchased Jeep Cherokee on June 2, 2014 with 170 miles on odometer from capo motors dba orange coast Chrysler, Jeep ). returned Jeep to sales agent June 10, 2014 complaining of transmission not shifting from forward stopped position correctly.he informed us that transmission must adjust to us. ( 1 ) Jeep seems to down shift to a neutral mode even though the transmission indicates Jeep is in the drive gear mode. When applying gas to the Jeep the transmission hesitates then lunges forward requiring driver to apply the brakes to avoid rear ending vehicle in front. ( 2 ) when applying gas the Jeep seems to " quick " shift from lower 1-3 gears to middle gears with excess strong loud force. ( 3 ) when driving down ca. 18 steep mountain two lane highway from 5500 ft. To 1500 drive mode the Jeep suddenly shifted into neutral when gas was applied rounding a hair pin bend. I could not apply the breaks because of heavy July 4th. Boat trailer traffic behind me. I shifted to manual from drive and the number 9 drive mode was indicated. I then move the gear shift to drive minus and 2 mode was indicated. The Jeep then lunged to a slower speed. I was able to regain control of Jeep to round the bend and immediately pulled to the side of the mountain road. ( 4 ) Jeep gets very poor mileage, seems to have high RPM and seems to be stuck in too low of gear on highway. ( 5 ) in city driving any 90 degree stop light turn from a stand still position requires diligence and extreme caution due to transmission hesitation and erratic nature of problem. ( 6 ) transmission oil has had a foul smell at times.

- Dana Point, CA, USA

Feb 202014

Cherokee 4-cyl

After 2 days owning this vehicle the transmission began to have issues shifting from park to drive and reverse. I also got "service transmission" warning lights and "service parking brake" warning lights. The vehicle went in for service and was in the shop for 3 days. 2 months later I had the same issue and the vehicle went in for service for 4 days. 2 months later the vehicle went in for service for the same thing for 8 days. Currently the vehicle has been in for service a 4th time for the same thing for 3 days so far. Problems range from hesitation and/or jumping into gear from park to drive or reverse, rough shifting at all speeds and parking brake intermittently engaging when placing the vehicle in reverse from park.

- New Market, MD, USA

Jul 062014

The car gave a message that the transmission needed service. It then drove a few more miles and then stopped allowing me to accelerate. It was like it was in neutral but the engine would not rev. It did let me drive again after shutting down the car but the pattern continued until we dropped it off at the dealer. We needed to turn the car off and on several times. There was also an unknown smell that came and went.

- East Syracuse , NY, USA

Jul 032014

Cherokee 4-cyl

While sitting on an incline at a stop light, our brand new 2014 Jeep Cherokee that had only bought 2 days before shifted in to neutral on its own and rolled backwards when the gas was pressed. We had to shift the transmission into manual and back to auto several times to get the gears to catch. Luckily no one was injured and we did not roll backwards into traffic. After that incident the transmission was sluggish and would not shift gears properly.

- Covington , VA, USA

Jun 292014

Vehicle was purchased new. Jeep Cherokee 2014. Service transmission light comes on. Vehicle will suddenly not accelerate. This occurs randomly and creates a very unsafe driving condition. Most especially when merging into traffic.Chrysler is aware but will not recall. 2 updates so far. Vehicle continues to experience the problem.

- Dickson, TN, USA

Jun 162014

Cherokee 6-cyl

Subject: 2014 Jeep Cherokee limited, V-6 engine/9 speed transmission, purchased 2/25/14. Current mileage: 3940 miles. This subject automobile is experiencing problems that appear to be associated with the transmission and throttle control. The problems are described as: 1.a subtle chatter in the transmission when accelerating similar to clutch chatter. This occurs in lower gears. This behavior is worse when turning hard left/right when transmission is under an acceleration load. 2.the transmission shifting (up and down shift) can be delayed and very abrupt. In going up a hill, the throttle response is delayed with a following abrupt, head jerking downshift. Similar abrupt shifts when upshifting 3.throttle response can be abrupt (surges forward) at light throttle application. This in itself is a safety issue when behind a car at a stop. As the cars in front move forward, a slight throttle response causes the car to lurch forward and accelerate faster than the car in front. This happened to me several times. Fortunately, I was far enough behind to not hit the car in front. This issue was brought to the attention of the dealer 6/26/14. Dealer stated "could not duplicate concern." This complaint is consistent with other complaints for this issue and automobile. Judging by the number of similar complaints, it is strongly suggested that NHTSA look into this matter before there are accidents and/or injuries.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Jun 162014

Cherokee 6-cyl

Vehicle would not go into gear. Starts but won't move. Happened several times.

- Fairfield, PA, USA

Nov 142013

Cherokee 4-cyl

2014 Jeep Cherokee latitude has had transmission problems since I bought it. Did one software update on 12/2014 which did not fix the problem. Another software update was performed on 05/14 but has not resolved the issue yet. Car jerks in low gears (1-3) but now it also makes a metallic noise when going from P to R and into D modes. It is also jerking when I apply the brakes and the engine starts downshifting. Both software updates have not resolved the problem, but the last one ( transmission tsb 21-018-14 flash) has added new problems to the car.

- Miami, FL, USA

Jun 212014

Cherokee 4-cyl

Update on my vehicle.....I just had to take my vehicle back in on 6/22/14 and heard back from the service center on 6/23/14. Apparently somehow my passenger side axle broke which caused the loud bang and my vehicle to stop running and/or from going into gear. They are not sure what caused this or why. Now they have to replace it. I got my vehicle back on 6/25/14 and it does not drive the same, does not have that smooth shifting like it did before, and can still hear a very faint clinging sound when driving. I do not feel safe with this vehicle any longer. It really upsets me that the manufacture let something like this get passed them. They need to do a better job on inspecting these vehicles before they send them out to consumers and do a better job on inspecting all parts. This incident along with my last one I posted about my transmission were told to the manufacture. Now I really do not feel safe with this car, really I don't.

- Pensacola, FL, USA

Jun 282014

Cherokee 6-cyl

The first issue arose as the vehicle was being backed out of a driveway. While still in motion, the vehicle produced an audible and visual collision alert with no obstructions present. The vehicle stopped suddenly, partially in the roadway, shifted to neutral and shut the motor off. It was necessary to cycle the vehicle through stop-accessory-run and back to accessory before the vehicle could be placed in park. Once in park, the information center (evic) read "battery voltage low". after returning to the stop position the vehicle was restarted and the malfunction indicator (mil) remained illuminated. Scrolling to the battery status on the evic showed a reading of 13.9V, within a normal range. The vehicle was placed in drive and operated properly, except for the mil for 24-hours with multiple starts and stops. The following day, upon starting the vehicle, again an audible and visual alarm sounded and the vehicle shut down completely, with the evic reading 4-wheel drive unavailable. It then changed to adaptive cruise unavailable, then forward collision warning unavailable. An indicator light with an exclamation mark stated that service was required. Again, the vehicle was cycled through the stop-accessory-run sequence without the break depressed to re-set the electrical sequencing. The vehicle was restarted and only the mil remained illuminated. The vehicle was then able to be put in gear and returned to service. Both occurrences took in excess of one minute to return the vehicle to operational, and had they happened in an active traffic area, would have left the vehicle a sitting duck for oncoming vehicles. The dealership has been notified and an appointment scheduled to address the issues. No repairs completed to date; owner advised that the vehicle is still able to be driven, but to keep the phone number to roadside assistance handy.

- Frenchville, ME, USA

Jun 072014

Cherokee 6-cyl

I have filed a complaint here regarding transmission wobble/ shudder in second gear that started at about 2000 miles prior to my second issue I am having now. My Cherokee vehicle now shudders all the time and it has just developed a lag in acceleration.I feel like it is the transmission causing both problems. The delay in acceleration is present depending on the gear and speed that the vehicle may be in. The delay has happened when trying to pull out onto highway only to have vehicle pause for at least a second maybe two before it finally will accelerate, allowing traffic behind me at highway speeds to have to avoid my vehicle because of this delay, this has happened several times.had trans flash done prior at dealer and did nothing to fix the wobble/shudder.had shudder documented while I drove vehicle with dealer tech in car.Chrysler now told the dealership that this shudder is a characteristic design of vehicle and that I should accept this and nothing's wrong, this is not acceptable, the delay and shudder are dangerous and distracting while driving and will affect resale value. I had the shudder documented by a a.S.E certified technician that said to bring back to dealer for further diagnostic.a different dealer recommended to drive for another 1000 miles and see if it goes away, this will be the 5th time vehicle has been at the dealership.I believe Chrysler Jeep has no fix for this, and are behind evasive and dishonest concerning these complaints, as other owners have had transmissions and axels replaced and still have the shudder and or delay. Thank you.

- Plainfield, NJ, USA

Jun 252014

The vehicle from the time we purchased it from the dealer has had a transmission shifting problem. The problem shifting happens between 1st and 2nd gear and also when you go to stop. Recently while driving the transmission seemed to slip and the vehicle was not engaged causing us to pull over to the side of the road. The engine was revving but the transmission was no longer engaged. Vehicle was turned off and restarted which we then put the car in drive and moved onto the roadway again. I have brought the vehicle to the dealer for this twice before. On the first visit the dealership said to just drive it and it will smooth out. On the second visit the dealership gave us the first software update which was done in April of this year, but it only lasted around a month or two. The problem is back again and I have made another appointment to bring it in on Thursday, July 3rd for another software update.

- Palm Coast, FL, USA

Jun 202014

Cherokee 6-cyl

When quickly accelerating from a complete stop (such as pressing the gas pedal all the way down), my 2014 Jeep Cherokee(3.2L w/ active drive I) significantly shakes from left-to-right similar to where a wheel would be out of balance. This seems to affect performance as well, where the vehicle lags to pick up speed right away, which is concerning when needing to quickly cross expressway intersections.

- Rochester, MN, USA

May 302014

Cherokee 4-cyl

Bought a 14/Jeep/Cherokee sport fwd and started having problems with it a week and a half to two weeks after getting it. On 5/30/14--heard clicking sound from transmission area of vehicle between 30 to 45 mph. Also, it would shift hard while accelerating and when down shifting to stop. Happened aprox 20-30 times before taking it to service shop. Tech told us the transmission was leaking, had no oil. Replaced whole transmission they had the car for a week. Received vehicle back on 6/7/14. You should know I bought this vehicle on 5/14/14 and it had less than 1500 miles. Thought I was buying a good vehicle, guess I was wrong, again!!! 6/21/14--had my car back for only a week, started hearing a grinding sound in the front end, thought it was my brakes or rotors. While I was driving home from work on 6/21/14 at 1:00 am, I heard a loud bang, then a clanking sound; car stalled, pressed on gas pedal would not go, coasted into an empty parking lot. Put the vehicle in park and it turned off, let sit for 10-15 minutes. My mom came and picked me up, I started car for her and when I put the vehicle in drive, would not move and only heard clanking and a bang sound. Left car in parking lot until morning then had it towed to dealerships service dept to be checked out. Of course this happened on a Sunday so will not know anything until Monday. Not happy with this car. Going back to where I bought it and going to ask them to take it back and to refund me everything I put into it thus far. Not happy!! :-(

- Pensacola, FL, USA

May 082014

Cherokee 6-cyl

5/8/14 - transmission stopped working while driving to work. Error messages appeared on the dashboard as the accelerator lost all power causing me to force the vehicle off the road. Multiple more error messages appeared to service the transmission. Rpms had been running high for a few weeks. Gears were not shifting properly. Vehicle taken to dealership. It was kept for over 2 weeks for repairs. I was told everything was fixed. 6/9/14 - same exact scenario occurred again. This time, the car brought itself to a halt. I was able to get off the road in time. When trying to shift from park to drive you could feel the car shutter. Rpms remained extremely high. Car was taken back to the dealership for additional inspection repairs. No updates.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

May 222014

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. The contact stated that while traveling various speeds, the vehicle erroneously accelerated. The contact also stated that the vehicle jerked erratically while shifting. The contact mentioned that the vehicle was previously repaired under NHTSA campaign number 14V293000 (vehicle speed control). The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was 150.

- Vancover, WA, USA