Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2014 Jeep Cherokee shows an early trend of transmission complaints. Most of the complaints are for rough shifting — things like jerking & hesitation when shifting gears.

We are keeping an eye on things but the 2014 Cherokee doesn't look like a good model year compared to past years.

2014 Jeep Cherokee drivetrain problems

2014 Jeep Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 27 of 28)

Mar 122014

Cherokee 6-cyl

This car has been looked at by Chrysler group llc for steering/transmission issues 4 times since March 22,2014. There has been two software updates that have not corrected the problem. There is a safety issue driving the vehicle that needs to be addressed before someone gets really hurt or killed.

- Hoboken, NJ, USA

May 192014

Cherokee 6-cyl

Transmission failed to shift while placing vehicle in reverse to park it. After few attempts including shutting the engine off vehicle made a loud sound an abrupt movement to the rear.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

May 302014

Cherokee 6-cyl

Was driving on a 2 lane highway and the Jeep lost power, I pulled over to the shoulder and when I reached a complete stop the Jeep shutoff. I could not get it the restart. After waiting 10 minutes I finally got the Jeep restarted. When it started it released a huge cloud of white smoke from the exhaust pipes. This is the 4th time this has happened.

- Delaware, OH, USA

Mar 142014

Cherokee 4WD 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. The contact stated that the air conditioning unit failed to work properly. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The technician stated that the refrigerant needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired however, additional failures occurred. The instrument panel failed, the vehicle stalled without warning and the vehicle failed to shift into reverse. The vehicle was towed to the dealer. The technician was unable to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was not available.

- Littleton, CO, USA

Apr 302014

I purchased a new 2014 Jeep Cherokee on Nov 11. Car has a very noticeable wobble between 10-15 mph when accelerating from a dead stop. Wobble can be minimal or intense enough to make your legs shake. I've taken it to the dealer five times. The first three times I was told they could not replicate the claim even when a service worker felt the wobble. The fourth time the assistant manager was able to feel the wobble. They finally put it on the rack and could 'not find anything wrong' and said it was safe to drive. I was told to bring it back when the check engine light came on (it never has). The car now will now hesitate to accelerate when driving down side roads and even on the interstate. Now when the car wobbles it feels like it could literally slide off the frame. On occasion the car will feel like it is jumping up the hill. I feel that this car is no longer safe to drive. I also had an incident when driving down the highway at 55 mph the car stopped accelerating and actually slowed down 10-15 mph. Was trying to pull off the road when the car suddenly shifted very hard and began accelerating again. I was told that this was 'impossible' from the service department. I'm also having a major issue with the service department not giving me paperwork!!

- Clarksburg, WV, USA

May 272014

Cherokee 6-cyl

Four wheel drive selection system was totally inoperative. Nine speed automatic transmission does not shift into 9th gear automatically. In manual shift mode 9th gear is selected and tach does not drop to indicate higher gear ratio. Software was updated but still same problem - #rrt14-040 - was flashed twice but no difference. Code reader shows same problem even when update was completed.

- Northlake, TX, USA

Dec 042013

Cherokee 4-cyl

Vehicle does not shift properly when going up hill at approx. 35-40 mph. RPM will easily reach 6000. Letting off of the accelerator does not prompt shift either.

- Lashmeet, WV, USA

Mar 032014

Cherokee 4-cyl

Vehicle has shimmy in right front wheel when pulling out from a complete stop or turning right at a low rate of speed, I.e. 2nd gear, 10-20 mph.

- Lashmeet, WV, USA

Jan 152014

Cherokee 6-cyl

2014 Jeep Cherokee limited V-6 4X4. Purchased new. Vehicle wobbles in 2nd gear. Most notable on fast acceleration. It has continued to do so since purchase. Chrysler dealers notified, but have not suggested a fix.

- Easton, MD, USA

Apr 082014

Very noticeable wobble in the front (possibly the right side) of the Jeep when starting from a dead stop and/or turning right from a dead stop. Had front axles replaced (on less than 2000 miles on a $33,000 vehicle!!) at dealership and on the drive home from picking up the vehicle, the wobble happened when I left a gas station - from a dead stop and turning right. This seems to happen after I've driven it for awhile and the vehicle is warmed up. I'm nervous this will become a safety issue and I've seen many other posts from people having this same issue. I am not happy about a wobble in a brand new vehicle and won't just "deal with it." I am concerned that this is a deeper issue than the axles and I will be left stranded on the highway someday.

- Aurora, MN, USA

Jan 032014

Cherokee 6-cyl

Since a computer update to my 9 speed transmission, the vehicle has a significant wobble in the front wheels - left to right - when the automatic transmission shift between 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears. It feels as if the power transfer is confused and fighting between sending power to the front left and right wheels. It is significant enough that it is felt in the steering wheel, feet, legs and seat of the driver and the passenger feels the wobble also in the floor and seat. I do have a fear of the electronics and computer controls since this is a defect which can cause a computer malfunction while driving the vehicle. It is an important safety concern for both the vehicle occupants and other drivers around the vehicle.

- Madison, WI, USA

Mar 072014

Cherokee 6-cyl

On or about March 10 2014 while driving my new Cherokee at about 2000 miles I felt a wobble when taking off from a complete stop, seemed to be front right side of vehicle shimmy and then days went on I noticed it more and more. Several weeks ago I did an internet search for my vehicle having a wobbling issue and found the Jeep Cherokee forum with a handful of others with similar issues with there 2014 Cherokee also, this made me very worried that there is a serious problem.the vehicle wobbles side to side most of the time while at about 1700 RPM in 2nd gear and then seems to stop when the trans engages into 3rd.speed varies from about 10 to 15 could not replicate the problem, wobble is light at times or can be very noticeable as to make your legs shimmy side to side, wobble sometimes goes away only to start to shimmy again hours later.I currently have 3300 miles. I have informed my dealers tech rep that I am concerned about the vehicle going out of control or malfunctioning due to the wobble, the dealer tech rep stated that as far as that could tell it is is still shaking now most of the time and wanted to report this issue to you asap thank you

- Plainfield, NJ, USA

Jan 102014

Cherokee 4-cyl

Since the purchase of my new 2014 Jeep Cherokee the transmission has shifted rough when in stop and go traffic, getting stuck in the lower gear and then finally slamming into the next higher gear causing the car to jump forward - extremely dangerous when in close traffic! it only happens when in stop and go traffic up to 15-20 mph and it seems like it will not shift no matter how much I accelerate then it releases suddenly. On the highway in the higher gears it seems to slip only occasionally. The rear seat belts also have consistently "locked up" removing all slack until you have to pull over and stop the vehicle, turn it off, unbuckle the belt let it all the way back in and then reattach it. Yesterday 4/28/14 it did this again to my granddaughter, when we found a place to pull over it would not let us unbuckle the lap piece or give her any slack in the shoulder strap to get out of it, I was forced to pull into a recycling center and borrowed a knife from one of the workers to "cut" the belt in half so it would release her. Both rear seat belts do this on even roads with no sort of incline or bumps! I will be carrying a pocket knife from now on, what if we were in a accident or needed to exit the vehicle quickly??!! dealership said they would order new belts and have them installed, I have an appointment to take it in tomorrow for them to diagnose the transmission problem & seat belt problem. I will follow up with the remedy or lack thereof. The current mileage is now at 8700 miles.

- Adams Run, SC, USA

Mar 252014

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. The contact stated that while waiting at a traffic signal, the check engine warning lamp illuminated as the vehicle started to jerk violently. The contact mentioned that the vehicle shifted into neutral independently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the technician diagnosed that the power control module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer, who then replaced the cam phaser, valve body casting, sensor casting and the coil return. The remedy failed to repair the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 14,500 and the current mileage was 14,954.

- Detroit, MI, USA

Mar 282014

I purchased a 2014 Jeep Cherokee ltd. In 10/2013 for my daughter to learn to drive (with learner's permit) and to drive when she gets her license soon. I was driving the car in March on I-10 in heavy traffic time when SUV made a whining noise, gears stalled for several seconds, RPM's dropped. SUV continued to do this at a variety of speeds with increasing frequency. The car has less than 7000 miles, so I brought SUV to selling dealer's service department and was told they could find nothing wrong. They guessed and updated software, then closed the service order. After leaving dealership, SUV performed 5 intermittent and similar episodes on the way to destination that was about 7 miles away. I returned SUV to the same service department the next day and reported the incident to chrylser and Jeep customer care (jcc). Jcc contacted the dealer. A decision was made to remove the entire transmission to be sent to Jeep engineers to dissect and determine cause of the problem. A new transmission exact to the old, only with 'updates' was placed in the SUV. Since these series of events have occurred, I have discovered that the Jeep Cherokee had 4 holds on releasing the SUV due to the issues with 9 gear Fiat transmission. I was also told by the dealer that ours was the 2nd such case seen in their service department with the same problem. Ultimately, jcc offered more warranty and the ability to skip one payment of which I did not accept. The only acceptable offer would have been for the engineers to tell me that the SUV is safe for their own new teen driver or to take the SUV back, to no avail. Jcc sent the case to the 'case analyst' team, but ultimately closed the case as resolved. I have serious concerns about my daughter driving the SUV once she obtains her license. I also have concerns about her younger brothers riding in an SUV that may perform unsafely and unpredictably.

- Prairieville, LA, USA

Apr 052014

Cherokee 6-cyl

Driving along at 30 when first the engine light came on, then immediately after the display said transmission and the display was lighting up with all sorts of symbols. The transmission completely disengaged and the car coasted to a stop. It would not move. Fortunately when I felt it losing power I was able to make a quick turn into a store parking lot. Had that happened on the highway I could have been killed because the car just totally lost all motion as I was driving. I turned it completely off for a few minutes and it started but with the engine light showing. I called the dealership kelly Jeep Chrysler in lynnfield and told the service department what happened. I drove straight there...furious. The service guy took down the information I relayed about the incident. I told him I had read recently that their 9 speed transmission had known issues and he said he didn't know anything about that. I told him not to even tell me I am the first to report this problem and he said "maybe not in the whole country but I don't think we've had this problem here" and I told him not to speak down to me because it has been written about already as a known issue. He already had the courtesy car waiting for me and he immediately walked me out the door to the car. I was there less than 5 minutes. I know he did not want me speaking to anybody in the service waiting room as I could see people sitting there waiting for their own repairs. This is an issue that will end up killing somebody.

- Winchester, MA, USA

Mar 052014

A Jeep authorized dealership changed the engine oil and oil filter for my vehicle. About 15 minutes after I took my vehicle from the dealership, the incident happened on a highway. "service transmission" warning showed up first, the engine light was on, and some electronic functions were disabled, which include, but are not limited to, the forward collision warning, the parksense, the lane sense, and the adaptive cruise control. The ESC activation / malfunction indicator light was on. There was loud rattling noise from the engine, and the vehicle was shaking while moving on the highway. I had a difficult time moving the vehicle off the highway. After I parked on a surface road, I found no engine oil was registered on the dipstick. The leaked oil was splashed over the vehicle's exterior. In particular, it covered the parking sensors and the rear window, which disabled the electronic safety features and greatly reduced my visibility while driving. The vehicles behind me on the highway were also splashed by the leaked oil and were beeping and/or cutting in my lane to complain. The dealership determined that the rubber ring that seals the cartridge housing of the oil filter was broken, causing the engine oil leak. This O-shaped rubber ring comes with the oem oil filter that was installed when the oil filter was changed. The engine was damaged. The dealership stated that no test drive is required to check if there is a leak for oil change service. Three other Jeep dealerships confirmed this claim. I believe there is a design defect in the oil filter sealing that can cause life threatening accidents. I believe Jeep does not instruct their authorized dealership to implement an oil filter change procedure that ensures a part defect like this would be discovered before the vehicle leaves the dealership.

- El Cerrito, CA, USA

Jan 172014

Cherokee 4-cyl

I purchased this vehicle on December 17th since I have had it.. it jerks very hard while driver like it is switch gears when I took it back to the dealer ship cherryhill triplex put on machine nothing wrong but the Jeep is still doing it. Took back again on February 17th they still couldn't find the problem but the Jeep is still doing the same thing.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Feb 142014

Cherokee 4WD 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. The contact stated that while traveling various speeds, the vehicle suddenly lost acceleration power. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was found that the rear differential had failed. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 600. Updated 05/28/14 MA updated 05/29/2014 the consumer was advised the failure was due to a software issue. Updated 05/29/2014

- Sylvania, OH, USA

Feb 112014

Cherokee 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. The contact stated that while driving 60 mph, the transmission shifted to neutral independently without warning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer however, the technician was unable to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 2,700. Updated 03/25/14 the consumer stated the incident happened several times. When the transmission downshifted there was a delay before the vehicle moved, in spite of pressing the accelerator pedal. Updated

- Gainesville , FL, USA