Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2014 Jeep Cherokee shows an early trend of transmission complaints. Most of the complaints are for rough shifting — things like jerking & hesitation when shifting gears.

We are keeping an eye on things but the 2014 Cherokee doesn't look like a good model year compared to past years.

2014 Jeep Cherokee drivetrain problems

2014 Jeep Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 4 of 28)

Aug 172016

Vehicle has been serviced multiple times for transmission not shifting, shifting hard enough to lose traction, and shifting into neutral at random. Transmission is still not fixed nor functioning properly. This also triggers the stability control to malfunction and lose control on slippery surfaces. Now the four wheel drive feature is broken and not functioning as well. Dealer has had the vehicle more than 6 times in the past 8 weeks, and several times prior in the two years before. This vehicles transmission is a huge safety and loss of vehicle control issue.

- St Johns, MI, USA

Dec 152015

Major safety issue. My family and I were several close calls resulting from the faulty transmission. For example, nearly T-boned by oncoming traffic because the transmission did not shift into gear causing a hesitation (pausing the vehicle onto oncoming traffic). Several other times while approaching a red light, the Jeep would jump (yes, literally jump) forward nearly hitting car in front of us. Same thing in a drive thru bank or restaurant. Transmission issue began at 6,000 miles and was purchased on 10/4/2014 (within the 2 yr period and before 24,000 miles). I am clueless on what to do" I want to thank you again for your help and pointing me in the right direction if possible... for the record! the Jeep is not, I repeat not running correctly. In the last month, we were almost in three accidents. Is that what it is going to take, us to get injured or worse" two weeks ago we are approaching a red light and while approaching the car in front of me (about 3 mph) the light turned green. And the car jumped into gear almost hitting the car in front of me. If the car in front of me would not have sped up, we would have hit them. Please keep in mind, my foot was on the break while it was jumping fwd. I am no longer driving this Jeep till it gets fixed. I want you to know it is unsafe. Period. I am not going to put me. My fiance, and/or our kids any longer. Ever since corwin Dodge has put the new transmission in, the problem has worsened. The issue has been duplicated by service manager jd weatherfield the transmission problem has been diagnosed several times and updates were supposedly given"?" please see attached the last 11 issues with transmission. Respectfully request a Chrysler buyback option. Lemon law. Thank you

- Nixa, MO, USA

Aug 282014

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. The contact stated that while driving at 45 mph, the vehicle downshifted while the accelerator pedal was depressed without warning. The vehicle was taken to be diagnosed. The contact was informed that the transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired however, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 44,000.

- Fairburn, GA, USA

Aug 252016

Transmission is unpredictable and sometimes losses power. Biggest loss of power is when speed has reduced while going up-hill, especially if there is a turn involved. At that point, car can virtual stall.

- Redding, CT, USA

Dec 152015

The issue was in fact duplicated by service advisor david O'neil several times when I first had the issue. His way to fix it was the updates. These updates did not work and only made it worse. He will be able to confirm as well as the first three to four service records. Please, let it be known that on 7-26-2016 @4:30pm, youngblood Jeep, service manager, Mr. Phillips; Chrysler llc, district service service and parts manager, tony aguillo; and district field engineer, tyler yoemans, have denied me to get my 2014 Jeep Cherokee serviced at youngblood Jeep. They also stated verbally that lemon law is not an option because its past 24,000 miles and/or the two year purchase date of the new vehicle. First, it was purchased new (10 miles) from youngblood Jeep. Second, initiated service records since the vehicle had approx. 6,000 miles on it. Third, purchase date was 10/4/2014. Two years from that is 10/4/2016. I have the 100,000 power tran warranty and the extended route 66 warranty through blu current. Before I utilize the route 66 extended warranty I would like to utilize my 100,000 powertran warranty. I was turned away when dropping me vehicle to get it serviced. The 2014 Jeep Cherokee latitude that I purchased in 10/2014 is extremely unsafe. I was advised that I should bring the 2014 Jeep Cherokee latitude to a "transmission specialist" I was also advised by my. Phillips that the operating design of the transmission is to completely stop then accelerate after being completely stopped. Two things... one, if you come to a stop light and the light turns green, I should stop before I accelerate" two, when I am turning left and crossing oncoming traffic, I should stop even if I have significant room to turn left"

- Nixa, MO, USA

Aug 162016

Twice, while driving on the highway my vehicle warning lights came on and said transmission needed serviced, service parking brake, shift vehicle into "P" then desired gear, and vehicle lost acceleration almost causing an accident. The most recent was 23 August 2016. I took the vehicle into the dealer and they said it was subject to a recently released recall from Chrysler, recall S55 however they have no parts to fix it at this time and there was no eta on when it would be fixed. Chrysler offered no remedy or alternate vehicle to drive until this problem could be fixed.

- Reynoldsburg, OH, USA

Apr 072016

Purchased the 2014 Jeep Cherokee June 2014. At 7,000 miles it started banging into gear from 2nd to 3rd. Brought it in a few times within that year and they couldn't duplicate the condition but reflased the tcm unit several times. After changing dealerships months later the following year in 2015 I addressed the problem to them. Same thing in which the problem couldn't be duplicated. In February another trip to the dealership and this time they found the defect in the transmission valve body. The repair was made. April 7 2016 back to the dealership with the same similar problem. This time they replaced the transmission. Now the problem is with delayed downshifting while changing lanes mostly. I was almost rear ended with my son driving on his driving permit. That was very close. He even expressed his concern of the vehicle not responding to a downshift. He now is reluctant to drive my Jeep. It has become a hazardous situation while driving. Sometime in September I will address the issue in the delayed downshifting problem.

- Tinley Park, IL, USA

Aug 132016

Driving at low speeds on a city street, the car started to shake and buck and stopped without warning. I got a message readout that said transmission failure. Then it said to start the car in park? it took several tries, but I had cars in back of me honking and had to move it. Finally it started but continues to shake and kept turning off. I managed to get it into a parking lot so it was safe. The dealer says it is some part in the transmission and they are repairing it. I am too scared to drive it again. I commute on a major highway at high speeds. If it happens again, I will probably be killed.

- Peabody, MA, USA

Aug 172016

I have a Jeep Cherokee latitude. It has been recalled 5 times and today shutdown abruptly with a transmission put me at considerable risk as I was in the middle of fast moving traffic. This is unacceptable. I called the manufacturer and asked that Jeep extend my warranty for three years as I have no confidence in the vehicle. So far they have refused. How outrageous. Yes, purchase our vehicle that will put you at risk and expect no compensation form Jeep. How do we start a class action suit?

- Ellicott City, MD, USA

Jul 252016

When "service transmission" indicator goes on, the transmission becomes ineffective and vehicle looses power. The vehicle usually remains in this condition for several hours before indicator warning goes away and transmission becomes operative. Dealership installed a software fix but the problem has reoccurred since the fix. Concerned about safety if problem occurs at high speeds or in heavy traffic. The several occurances to-date have all occurred at low speeds. The internet is full of complaints regarding this issue

- Leesburg, FL, USA

Jul 082016

Vehicle doesn't idle at stop signs or light, often the engine shuts down if brake is applied abruptly. When selecting drive from reverse the vehicle engine dies and same with turning left or right if your feet is not on the accelerator pedal. Happens both on the highway or around local streets.

- Royal Palm Beach, FL, USA

Aug 042016

While driving 10-15 mph in my neighborhood my Jeep slipped out of gear made a grinding noise and came to an abrupt stop. My engine light came on and a "service transmission" warning popped up. My dashboard instructed me to shift the car in to "P" then into my desired gear. I shifted the car in to park, pressed on the brake and shifted the car into "D" released the brake and proceeded to step on the gas only to have the engine rev like it was still in neutral or park. I shifted the car back into park and shut off my vehicle. I restarted the vehicle and attempted to place the car in "D." the transmission made a grinding noise and did not shift smoothly into gear making a loud clicking sound. This happened twice in a span of 500 ft. A transmission shop couldn't find a issue and recommended I take it to a Jeep dealership. It is currently there having the same issues.

- Taylorsville, UT, USA

Aug 012016

Ongoing issues with 9 speed transmission since the vehicle was delivered new. 8 service dates in dealer service shop varying from 1-30 days duration totaling 64 days. Transmission has been replaced completely twice, transmission control module replaced twice, multiples software updates under warranty. Date of occurrence listed in this form is the last date of service. Following are symptoms: Transmission does not downshift when slowing around curves and lugs in too high of a gear when accelerating. ¿transmission intermittently slips when slowly accelerating on moderate to steep slopes from a stop - then abruptly lunges into gear. ¿when at speed, the transmission exhibits long delays when acceleration is attempted. ¿when shifting into reverse, transmission intermittently does not initially engage ¿ then abruptly engages. ¿transmission unexpectedly disengages or shifts into neutral.

- Costa Mesa, CA, USA

Aug 132016

I started my car and shifted it to reverse on a slight decline in my driveway. The car shook and made a strange noise. I pushed the accelerator and car rolled foward not doing anything. I shifted it back to park and the whole car shook again. I did it again from park to reverse to drive and it shook every time. The dash said service transmission and parking brake. I turned the car off and now it only has the service transmission light on. I tried again a day later and it does shift but makes a crunching sound under the clutch. I contacted Chrysler and they are calling me back with a case worker. My Jeep has 18000 miles on it. I have had no other issues except the delay from 2nd gear and the delay of the car taking off when you accelerate but I figured it was designed that way.

- Taylor Mill, KY, USA

Aug 142016

I have had multiple instances of the transmission falling out of gear and losing all power. In order to get any acceleration I have to restart the car multiple times. At this point I will be unable to get above 5-10 mph. When shifting between gears during these instances the car will jerk violently as I shift between P R N & D. on one occasion the car accelerated in reverse when the dash shows that I was in D. in every instance this has occurred while I was driving the vehicle. Multiple times both on the freeway and on city streets. When the issue occurs my check engine, service transmission, service parking brake, and traction control lights come on. The issue is not affected by speed, turning, etc. I currently have a replacement transmission in the car and have had it into two different dealerships multiple times for this issue and am still experiencing the problem. I have taken video records of the latest instances and shown the service advisors.

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

Apr 262016

I didn¿T know just how quirkily sensitive this vehicle would become to starting off; especially after fca started recalls for transmission software updates. This (R01) was completed on the vehicle, (March 2015 at 17,399 miles). Until I got rid of the vehicle in May 2016 it became a crap-shoot as to how the vehicle would respond to acceleration from either a full or rolling stop. In May 2015 (20,362 miles), I had my first transmission failure after making a turn from a full stop. There were service transmission and parking brake warnings. I stopping, put the vehicle into park and turned off the ignition. I was able to restart and engage the transmission and drive to dealership. Diagnoses found multiple stored codes related to the trans flash recall. In August 2015, (23,861 miles) there was the 2nd incident when the transmission locked into 2nd gear while going down a winding road and remained so until we were on flatter ground. The dealer reprogrammed the transmission control module. 25 days later (Aug 31, 2015 and 24,174 miles) the vehicle was back in the shop when the 'service shifter and transmission¿ indicators came on. Diagnoses found dtcs P0978 and U0402, whatever that means. I filed a complaint with fca Jeep customer service (case #27729231) on September 2, 2015. They offered no solution or resolution. In May 2016, (34,833 miles) while driving up a winding hill at about 40 mph the vehicle went into neutral and would not engage any gear other than park. I proceeded to put the vehicle in park, turn-off the ignition, restart the vehicle, and engage the transmission which never got out of 3rd gear on the drive to a Jeep dealer. They refer to this as ¿limp¿ mode, which tells me a lot about what fca knew of their transmission problems. They found and replaced a faulty transmission valve body which facilitates electronic transmission shifting from one gear to another.

- Palm Beach Gardens, FL, USA

Aug 102016

2014 Jeep Cherokee - transmission is terrible. Revs and does not shift; delays in shifting. Jerks and pauses. I have had nothing but problems for 2 years; my lease is up in May 2017. I will not get another Jeep product.

- Pittsurgh, PA, USA

Aug 012016

It feels like it can take a full second from the moment they step on the gas to when the car actually starts moving. And once it does start moving, it's a coin flip if you¿re going to steadily get up to speed or squeal some tires. This is going to shorten the life of the Jeep. It also hangs out in 2nd gear for too long. When the transmission finally shifts into 3rd gear it is aggressive, lurching transition.

- Louisburg, KS, USA

Aug 082016

Stopped at intersection to pull out. Pressed on the gas and had acceleration for 1 second and then lost all power. Did not have the ability to go forward. Luckily I had enough momentum to get off the road. If not I could have been killed.

- Elizabethtown, PA, USA

May 012016

This zf 9 spd transmission is the worst thing invented. It shifts eractic, rough, clunky, and slips. Told dealer about it, had it in for software update, still doing the same. I will trade it away as soon as I can.

- Zelienople, PA, USA