Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2014 Jeep Cherokee shows an early trend of transmission complaints. Most of the complaints are for rough shifting — things like jerking & hesitation when shifting gears.

We are keeping an eye on things but the 2014 Cherokee doesn't look like a good model year compared to past years.

2014 Jeep Cherokee drivetrain problems

2014 Jeep Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 6 of 28)

Jun 272016

While driving, transmission suddenly shifts into neutral. The vehicle loses the ability to accelerate. All you can do is (hopefully) steer it to the side of the road without getting hit. This has happened twice now - the first time in November 2015, the second in June 2016. On both occasions I have taken it to our local Jeep dealer for repair. All they do is "update" the software. This clearly isn't working. I called the "Jeep cares" hotline and they refuse to talk about the issue, referring me back to the local dealer. The local dealer doesn't know what to do besides update the software. This is really dangerous. Had we been travelling on a busy freeway with multiple lanes when this happened, it would likely have caused a crash. You lose the ability to accelerate! all you can do is steer! both times that it has happened we have been driving around 60 mph on rural highways.

- Hyde Park, UT, USA

Jul 052016

While driving on the highway at 65 to 70 mph, my car would go in to safe mode the massage said. "service transmission" "service park brake" the engine light and traction lights came on to. I had to coast over to the brake down lane. I would turn the car off wait for 2to 3 min's then restart the car. All massages cleared but the check engine light stayed on. The next day the engine light cleared I took it to the dealer. He said, no lights no codes no problem. This continued to happen about 10 times over 5 months. Every time the car went in for a recall I would tell them. The same answer, no lights no codes no problem. Finale I had a problem with electrical. After 3 days they found a pinched wire in the main harness going through the fire wall. This service department told me the next time the car failed in safe mode ( do not shut it off ), have it towed with the car running, this way they could check the codes in the fail mode. After 5 more times, it happened when the dealership was open. They did a software upgrade. A software 6 flash for tcm and a PCM. 3 days later on July 4 it happened 4 times, then 4 times going to work at night on July 4 for July 5. then on July 5 going to the dealership. I had it towed in safe mode. After about 2 hours they called me. It needs a new transmission. They said there are none in the usa, they are on back order, there is no time frame they can give me to how long it will take. I did get a rent a car, but my wife and I can not go kayaking. No racks on rentals and a smaller car does not do for me. Now I have a payment and no car no time frame for when I get my car back pulse the liability of a rental that just does not work for us.

- Fall River, MA, USA

Jun 222016

About two weeks ago, as I was driving to work in my 14' Jeep Cherokee, the cluster read brake to park when I was driving up hill and the shifter was still in drive. When this occurred, the vehicle begin to slow down and came to dead stop in the middle of the highway where the vehicle behind me almost hit me from behind. At this point I put the shifter into park turned off the Jeep, turned back on the Jeep and drove it. The transmission light went on and I decided to take into the dealership as the Jeep is still under warranty. The dealership retained the Jeep for about a week, they ran updates and looked at the Jeep. They do not why it occurred or if the updates they did resolved the shifting issue. At this point, I refused to drive the Jeep home for the concern of my safety that it might happen again.

- Rio Rancho, NM, USA

Jul 032016

Experiencing hard shifts in the zf 9-speed transmission. This also includes a delayed 1st gear initiation, it regularly takes up to a second from when the pedal is depressed to when 1st gear gets initiated. Often get hard shifts in 2nd and 3rd gear as well. These events occur on a regular basis.

- Royal Oak, MI, USA

Jul 032016

I was backing out of a parking space and my car refused to go into reverse, but would go forward instead. I ended up having to stop the engine and restart the car in order to get it to go into reverse. A week later, I was driving and stopped for a minute by putting my foot on the brake and when I went to continue my car would not go forward. Cars were honking their horns at me but I could not get it to go forward. Finally I lightly touched the ignition switch and the car proceeded to drive forward. When I spoke to the dealership after the first incident, they said that I would have to reproduce the problem at least 5 times before they would address it. Both incidents happened while I was in busy areas in our town.

- Lake Geneva, WI, USA

Jun 282016

My Jeep Cherokee latitude has been plagued with transmission problems. At 20,000 miles transmission jerked and caused the car to basically stop unexpected on the road. Death trap! I'm at 45,000 miles and back starting to go out again. This vehicle has major transmission issues and it's no secret. A lady even stopped me in hollywood and pulled up next to me and asked if I ever experienced jerking and stopping with the vehicle. Are you kidding me this is so ramped and needs to be fully recalled before people get killed!

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Jun 292016

When the vehicle is in drive, it will go into neutral safety mode. This will not allow the vehicle to move. It has done this on 4 separate occasions. Each time stranding the vehicle in the middle of the road and on 3 of the occasions the police have been called to ensure safety. It has to be towed back to the dealer and the first and third time we have been told the valve body needed replaced. The first time was in Jan of 2016 and it went until may before the 2nd time occurred. We now have had the vehicle in the garage for all besides 2 weeks until it has done it for the 4th time. The third time we had it for 3 hours. We were told Chrysler would nott replace the transmission on the last visit. There have been many reports of transmission problems reported to Chrysler and that they are avoiding a serious safety issue with these vehicles. When these vehicles go into neatral safety mode. It leave the operator without a means to move out of traffic.

- Butler, PA, USA

Jun 272016

My vehicle has been running fine, until Monday June 27, 2016 it stalled at a stop light, a few minutes later it cranked and I was on my way. Yesterday June 28, 2016 it did the same thing. Then today June 29,2016 it stalled and my check engine light turned on and said service transmission. I have read numerous complaints about the transmission in these vehicles. This just is not right.

- Austin, TX, USA

Jun 272016

Transmission failed while driving at about 60 mph on a highway. Lost power, lost power steering. Could barely steer car to the side of the road. Turned off, waited, restarted and it ran fine. Service transmission light came on for a while, then went off after about 50 miles. This happened for the second time on June 27, 2016. After the first time several months ago we took the vehicle to the dealership for a software update, this is really dangerous. Losing power and power steering while traveling down a highway at 60 mph could result in an accident if it happened in traffic. Luckily for us, traffic was light so we we able to get off the road on both times this has happened. Must be a software defect, as the engine is running fine.

- Hyde Park, UT, USA

Jun 262016

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. When the ignition was turned to the on position while the vehicle was on an incline, it would not shift into drive. The vehicle went into neutral and drifted backwards. Also, while driving approximately 65 mph, the accelerator pedal was depressed but the vehicle failed to accelerate and the speed reduced. The air bag warning indicator illuminated continuously. The failures recurred numerous times. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer or diagnosed. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 22,000.

- Commack, NY, USA

Jun 252016

My Jeep stalls while it shifts gear while slowing down. If I anticipate the stop sign or light, and slow down gradually long before I get to the stop sign or light, it prevents stalls in most cases. This is very dangerous as you can imagine while in the middle of the interstate and between lanes, perhaps. The last time I was at my usual dealership was due to the transmission light being on and after a few days, that issue appear to be corrected, now this. If I could I would simply get rid of this vehicle.

- Milwaukee, WI, USA

Apr 252016

Transmission failed, starting to work and selected drive and a huge clank! would not go into any gear. Tow truck, dealership for repairs. It was a solenoid in the transmission that had failed.

- Vernal, UT, USA

Apr 152015

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. While driving 25 mph, the accelerator pedal was depressed, but the vehicle hesitated and jerked before moving forward. In addition, the vehicle failed to start. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the engine needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired; however, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jun 212016

The transmission jumps when shifting from first to second gear. The transmission also "drops" when shifting out of park to reverse.

- Covina, CA, USA

Jun 012015

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. While driving approximately 5 mph, the vehicle suddenly stopped moving and the "service transmission" and "service parking brake" sensor warning lights illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the transmission was reprogrammed, but the failure recurred approximately eight months later. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 25,000.

- Childress, TX, USA

Jun 132016

Power lift gate will not operate all the time, sometimes I have to manually lift up the lift gate to get into the inside trunk area. Recall R 27 has been performed in all 3 parts. Check the electrical connectors, install module water shield, and replace module connectors and install module. I have been back to selling dealer for this issue many times for the inoperative hatch issue customer cairs have been opened on this issue with no success. Dealer and Chrysler advise me when it happens bring in the vehicle so we can see the problem. I am worried about the potential electrical fire potential due to this system not operating as designed. I have been to the dealer about this since Dec of 2013 1 month after purchase due to the fact that the dealer can not duplicate the complaint at their shop nothing is written up because no problem found. The most recent trip to the dealer was June 13 2016. This issue always happens when the vehicle is in park engine running or engine off button on dash will not activate lift gate either key fob will not activate lift gate and when I get out of the vehicle to attempt to open lift gate with lift gate button this will not work either. I have to manually open the lift gate by opening the hatch and raising the lift gate as if the vehicle was not equipped with the power lift gate accessory. Please help resolve this long standing issue, I retired from Chrysler after 41 years of service in warranty, customer service and tech. I am not making up this issue. Since the recall repair date of 4-15-2016 the trans will shift hard from stop lights also.

- Shelby Twp, MI, USA

Mar 272015

The car hesitates when I step on the gas. Where I live, I have to pull out on main street which is a 3 lane road. I have to find a break in the traffic and pull out quickly. I have almost been hit a coupe of times because the car did not respond when I put my foot on the gas. It will go but very slowly and then kick in a few seconds later causing the car to jolt. This happens very inconsistently. It could happen in the morning for 2 weeks and then not do it for another 2 weeks. I have brought it in to the dealer but of course, it never will do it for them.

- Nashua, NH, USA

May 252016

Transmission does not know when to shift. When accelerating from a dead stop it seems under powered like it is in to high of a gear. Then when I push down on the accelerator it lurches forward. If I were behind someone this could be dangerous.

- Sunrise Beach, MO, USA

Jun 082016

06/08/16 I was on my way to work when 2 houses down my vehicle suddenly wouldn't go and shut down and said "service transmission" "service park brake" "pull car over and put in P then desired gear." The check engine light and traction control light also came on and would not go away. I restarted the car multiple times and was finally able to get it moved off the road. The steering was difficult and when I put the vehicle in drive it made a loud noise and would't move. I put the car in drive and when I pressed the gas pedal the vehicle moved in reverse rather than forward. I put it in park again and restarted until I was able to get it back into my driveway. The messages about the parking brake and transmission had went away but check engine and traction control would not go off. After getting it back home I called Chrysler to have them send a tow truck to take the vehicle to the dealership as this is a huge safety hazard to be on the road. Upon arriving to the dealership, I asked for a loaner vehicle. After an hour wait I was informed that no loaners were available and had to rent a vehicle from enterprise (paid $50 out of pocket for deposit), because they wanted a transmission specialist look at it and his schedule was booked. Before leaving, I was shown 12 codes that had popped up. The following day 06/09/16, I called Chrysler's corporate office to see what options could be done to make this right as this is the 4th time total and 3rd in a 30 day window with transmission issues. They called the dealership and were informed that the dealership has tried to fix the issue but cannot find a solution to fix the issues I am having. Corporate responded with saying that I would be given a case manager to handle my issues and they would contact me in the next 48 hours.

- Killeen, TX, USA

Jun 052016

06/05/16 I was stopped at a light and when it turned green I began to go on the ramp for the highway and suddenly it wouldn't go and shut down and said "service transmission" "service park brake" "pull car over and put in P then desired gear." The check engine light and traction control light also came on and would not go away. I was almost rear ended because of this issue and was in the middle of the ramp not able to move my vehicle. I restarted the car multiple times and was finally able to get it moved off the road. The steering was difficult and when I put the vehicle in drive it made a loud noise and would't move. I put the car in park again and restarted until I was able to get it off the road. The messages about the parking brake and transmission had went away but check engine and traction control would not go off. It was a late Sunday afternoon and the dealership was closed so I had to wait until the next day to bring it in to the dealership. I took it first thing Monday morning (06/06/16) and sat there waiting for 4 hours until the service advisor came and told me my Jeep needed some updates and the lever on the transmission was loose and they had to tighten it was fixed and everything was good to go. Drove the vehicle straight home no issues and my husband drove it to work the following day with no issues reported. Day 2 after repairs the same issues came back.

- Killeen, TX, USA