Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2014 Jeep Cherokee shows an early trend of transmission complaints. Most of the complaints are for rough shifting — things like jerking & hesitation when shifting gears.

We are keeping an eye on things but the 2014 Cherokee doesn't look like a good model year compared to past years.

2014 Jeep Cherokee drivetrain problems

2014 Jeep Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 7 of 28)

May 142016

05/14/16 I was stopped at a light and when it turned green I began to go and suddenly it wouldn't go and shut down and said "service transmission" "service park brake" "pull car over and put in P then desired gear." The check engine light and traction control light also came on and would not go away. I was almost rear ended because of this issue and was in the middle of the intersection not able to move my vehicle. I restarted the car multiple times and was finally able to get it moved off the road. The messages about the parking brake and transmission had went away but check engine and traction control would not go off. It was a late Saturday afternoon and I called the dealership and explained what had happen. I was told they were about to close and I could bring it in Monday. I took it first thing Monday morning (05/16/16) and sat there waiting for 4 hours until the service advisor came and told me my Jeep needed some updates and it was fine. I asked to speak to the mechanic and I wasn't allowed to and I have to argue with her to tell me what the updates were. I was assured the issue had been fixed with the transmission and parking brake with the updates....only to have the same issue 2-3 weeks later.

- Killeen, TX, USA

May 292016

Transmission failed to engage on start up, car limped to dealership, and is awaiting a new transmission. Vehicle has less than 14500 miles

- Staten Island, NY, USA

May 302016

Car intermittently has extremely rough shifts going from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd and will sometimes just not go anywhere during these shift points for a second or two, creating a problem when entering traffic. Problem seems worse if the car is on an incline, even a slight incline. Have had several software updates, but the problem persists.

- Prairie Village, KS, USA

May 262016

Please read...traveling on interstate 75 N / approximate speed 65 - 75 mph / vehicle "turned off, went dead" / coasted through two lanes to get to an emergency side spot! it truly is a miracle that we were not ran over!!! contacted a wrecker service and having to wait 1 1/2hrs on the side of a busy interstate, our vehicle was lifted and taken to a dealership / the wrecker driver wasn't able to get vehicle started or out of gear until he accessed help via his phone, which allowed him to move gear but still didn't crank / next day, a rep from the dealership called and said the vehicle started up and the issue mentioned above could not be replicated"?? a strange report was given that there seem to be grease from an unknown source that was seen under the vehicle and perhaps that caused the problem??" we picked the vehicle up and made it home (70 mi) / this is extremely worrisome, not to mention, of course it could be deadly! please help.

- Buford, GA, USA

May 052016

On May 5, 2016, I was driving on a well traveled street in my 2014 Jeep Cherokee latitude. I had just made a right turn and was driving at a slow pace in order to merge into on coming traffic. I pressed on the gas and nothing happened. I looked at the dash and realized that the car had shut down. I had no engine power, no electrical, nothing. I managed to coast to the right lane, and attempted to restart the car; nothing happened. After sitting for approximately 10 minutes, the car finally started. I immediately drove to the dealership with the check engine light on. The car was kept for a week, and I was told they were unable to duplicate the concern. I picked the car up and two weeks later the check engine came on again. Once again, I immediately drove to the dealership. After two days, I was told the transmission needed to be replaced (car is currently in shop awaiting this repair). Prior to this incident, this car had been to the dealership at least two times for what seemed to be transmission related issues; slamming into gear and lurching forward. Each time I was told the issue could not be duplicated.

- Odenton, MD, USA

May 252016

When slowing down to almost a stop (I.e. light change from red to green) and then accelerating the car lunges or jerks forward sometimes with enough force to cause the rear wheels to spin. This occurs frequently but not all the time. This has been occuring for quite a while and has been taken into the dealer for transmission updates several times

- Wyoming, MN, USA

May 242016

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. When the contact shifted the vehicle into drive, it shifted in reverse on its own. The dealer could not duplicate the failure. The dealer kept the vehicle to attempt to replicate the failure. The contact stated that the same failure occurred approximately six times. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 11,200.

- Toms River, NJ, USA

Nov 302014

Transmission shifts hard. So hard that it snaps my neck! problem is mostly with 1-2 and 2-3 shifts. Been to the dealer at least 3 times where they upgraded software. Now they tell me to live with it.

- Unionville, CT, USA

Jun 272014

Shifting in the lower three gears is jerky, rough, inconsistane and dangerous....!!!!

- Bigfork, MT, USA

May 122016

For the second time in a month the transmission failed. Multiple vehicle warning systems started sounding include "check transmission", "put vehicle in park, then select gear", accompanied by warning chimes, the engine light, etc. It occurred during rush-hour traffic in Washington, DC in 4 lanes of traffic - the vehicle transmission died. The same thing happened just over a month ago; the dealer claimed they did a software fix previously.

- Brandywine, MD, USA

May 062016

Vehicle stalling while in motion, (feels like it shifts itself into neutral) only dash notification is saying to to place in park and shift to desired gear. This happened 3 times in 3 days, all three time my safety was at risk as you are unable to accelerate. I had to wait until it coasts to a full stop to shift to park and then several tries to restart vehicle, once started car still will not move when pressing gas pedal for few moments although rpms are at 5 or 6 like its not in gear. In all instances I was in traffic and almost rear ended by other vehicles. There is no warning lights or sounds that make you aware that an issue is happening so you can pull to safety.Jeep is in dealership now but am afraid they will tell me they cannot duplicate the problem, reflash the module and send me on the way. I have researched the problem and this is a common problem and common repair scenario at dealership but does not fix issue. I am afraid I will be rear ended by a fast moving vehicle as this has happened 2 times on the highway and once in middle of intersection. It is very scary when this happens as I have had my grandchildren in the vehicle 2 times when it occurred. I am very unhappy with this car as it is my first purchase not lease in 10 years. I don't know what I am going to do, still waiting to hear from dealership which is another issue as I took in yesterday at 7am and it is now the 2nd day at 9 am and nobody has called. I missed a day of work yesterday and have to go out of town for work for 2 days tomorrow. This report is my proof if I should be killed in my Jeep that theres an issue of it stalling in traffic and highway conditions.

- Warren, MI, USA

Feb 072015

The car stalls when giving it gas leaving me and my family vulnerable in intersections as well as shifting very roughly.

- Omaha, NE, USA

May 022016

The automatic 9-speed transmission shifts poorly up and down gears 1,2,3. in stop and go traffic I cannot rely on the car to safely and soothingly allow me to aggressively make necessary lane changes. For example, when attempting to change form a congested lane to an adjacent faster moving lane the car may momentarily hesitate as I am depressing the gas pedal. After the hesitation the car now responds to the over depressed gas pedal position and lurches forward (>4000 RPM on the tach) at an unsafe rate. Often times I am forced to brake hard and return/remain in the congested lane in order not to riskily pull out in front of cars approaching from the rear is the less congested lane. To minimize the problems with the lower gears, Jeep reprogrammed the transmission in may of 2015 to remain in 3rd gear through to about 5 mph as the car decelerates towards a stop. For example, the car remains in third gear when making a slow rolling stop at a stop sign. This reprogrammed fix can cause problems when trailering my boat. If IM forced to slow down prior to a hill the car will remain in 3rd gear and when IM attempting to accelerate while encountering the moderate uphill grade the car eventually and unexpectedly aggressively up-shift and again lurches forward at >4000 RPM. I seems there is no software fix and now I'm stuck with a poor performing, annoying and sometimes dangerous drive train. If I were wealthy I would get rid of the car. In good conscious I would not sell my car privately. I'd lose to much money if I traded it in at a dealer for a different car.

- Nolensville, TN, USA

May 052016

Received two recalls, have been going to dealer for over 8 months to get them done, contacted Jeep manufacturer, still no parts received. Dealer says they have not received parts and to keep checking in, which I've persistently been doing for eight months to the point of frustration. It has been almost a year since the last two recalls were the meantime my defective parts continue to malfunction if used. An efficient and timely manner to get the recalls done has not been conducted by Jeep and by fca us llc.

- Bellevue, WA, USA

May 042016

After only 21000 miles and regular maintenance at the dealership, my check engine light came on. The dealer would not book me a service appointment any sooner than one week out. Two days after the check engine light illuminated, as I was driving on a city street to work, a "service transmission" warning appeared and the vehicle immediately became unresponsive. Even switching to tiptronic and no matter how much the gas pedal was depressed, I was not able to accelerate nor have the engine RPM move beyond 1000 RPM. I was lucky that I chose not to take the highway to work or I would have been rear-ended with the car slowing down so much.

- Tigard, OR, USA

Apr 222016

There is a vibrating sound coming from the center of the steering wheel. You can feel it when touching the center of the steering wheel. The vehicle is in motion when this happens have taken it in 4 times to be repaired it still is doing the same thing. The transmission stopped and would not go after turning the engine off and restarting it it would go but lights still on. Had it towed to dealer.

- Houston, TX, USA

Apr 282016

Takata recall while in motion the Jeep makes a strong jerk when accelerating from 1st to 2nd gear. It is very rough to drive.

- Memphis, TN, USA

Apr 282016

Car lost power in motion on a highway. The car did not respond to stepping on the gas. Had to stop the car in the shoulder of a ramp and wait for tow truck. When changing from park to drive gears, the car made a clicking noise, but did not respond. This is actually the second time it happens - first time the official Jeep service said they could not find the issue and felt confident in releasing the car.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Apr 222016

The transmission in my 2014 Jeep Cherokee will slip into neutral at slow speeds, will not downshift when passing a vehicle but instead bogs down and loses acceleration, many times it will start in the wrong gear not downshifting all the way to first when slowing to near stop and accelerating up again. Transmission is jerky between shifts on highway as well as accelerating from a stopped position. When shifting gears the automatic transmission just kind of drags from one gear the the next in a long drawn fashion instead of shifting crisply like it should. I have had a couple close calls at intersections with the car slipping out of gear as I am entering traffic. Also had a near miss yesterday changing lanes to pass a semi truck when my Cherokee just bogged down in front of it instead of having a smooth acceleration to pass him. At the last instant the car finally grabbed the gear it was hunting for and I was able to clear the near miss. I have been to Jeep service where they have admitted to knowing of all these issues and are at a loss to find a fix. They have used flash updates three times without success. After my last visit for the latest update which they practically guaranteed would fix my issue...I was contacted by service and told my software was not compatible with their update and that they now want to put in a new transmission. I have been involved with Chrysler diamond service for months asking them to replace the car or arrange to give me a fair trade on the car thinking they would take some responsibility and they have denied my request. I actually bought two Cherokee in 2014..the first one showed these transmission issues, so I traded it for another one absorbing a loss with hopes that a different Cherokee would get me out from under the problems, but sure enough the second one has the same issues so I lost all that trade value for nothing.

- Yorkville, IL, USA

Oct 252015

While driving the car will shift into neutral, shifts extremely hard between 3rd and 4th gears, when coasting down a hill if you apply the brakes the rim rev up to 4,000-5,000 and will not stop unless you press on the gas or shift into neutral.

- Dahlonega, GA, USA