CarComplaints.com Notes: There's no way around it, the Cherokee's transmission is junk. There's no other explanation for why a vehicle, usually with under 40,000 miles, would have so many complaints

2014 Jeep Cherokee drivetrain problems

2014 Jeep Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 7 of 32)

Sep 122016

Cherokee

While driving up a parking garage ramp transmission went out causing Jeep to roll back down ramp until brakes applied. All warning lights came on. Let Jeep set for a few moments, shut engine off, and when restarted was able to move it to a safe area, but transmission shifted hard, jarring the Jeep. Next morning when started, Jeep ran fine, but check engine light was on. Took Jeep to dealer to get checked, was told 4 new recalls on it including transmission issue. Not sure if this issue is related to current recall on the transmission or not.

- Euless, TX, USA

Aug 222016

Cherokee

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 16V529000 (power train) however, the part to do the repair was not available. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. VIN tool confirms parts not available.

- Sanbornville, NH, USA

Sep 132016

Cherokee

We purchased a 2014 Jeep Cherokee limited, 4WD w/active drive 2 in January 2014. When we purchased this vehicle, we traded in a GMC terrain. We were certain that the Jeep was going to be a fantastic purchase, knowing the reputation of Jeep. We have had nothing but what I'd call serious problems with the transmission. Every time I take it in for an oil change, I mention it, and they do "software updates." Each software update that has been done has not corrected the problem still. All it's done is created a different problem. There have now been 5 recalls on this vehicle, 1 of which hasn't been taken care of yet because Jeep hasn't come up with a replacement part, so I'm stuck with a rental renegade that is nowhere near comparable to my Cherokee limited 4WD, for an "unspecified amount of time." My steering column makes a grinding noise louder than a 40 year old truck. The dealership told me that it was a normal sound. No vehicle I've ever driven has sounded like this, especially one that cost me $40,000!!!

- Michigan City, IN, USA

Sep 132016

Cherokee

There have been several recalls on my vehicle since purchasing it almost 2 years ago. I've had to be inconveniently placed in a rental a couple times and pay a deposit out of pocket for something that wasn't even my fault. I contacted the dealer days after purchasing it to express my dissatisfaction, they were very unhelpful. One month after purchasing it is when I started needing to get the vehicle serviced several times. This latest recall, I have reached out to the dealer and the "earliest" appointment isn't until November. I called NHTSA customer service today to see if they could "speed up the process" but they too were very unhelpful. The person I spoke with expressed that the parts needed to fix this recall were all sold out and she wasn't sure when the parts would be coming in. Now, I am stuck in an unsafe, faulty vehicle until it can get serviced to this recall. In the safety recall notice it states in bold, "the loss of motive power could cause a crash without warning." Driving this vehicle in the condition that it's in and the potential safety hazard is life threatening. What exactly am I supposed to do now? I use this vehicle everyday and I am not the only passenger in it. I've contacted NHTSA before and submitted documentation of all the services the vehicle has had, and nothing was resolved on my behalf. I'm surprised legal action hasn't been presented to the manufacturer for these recalls and poor quality vehicles.

- Austin, TX, USA

Aug 222016

Cherokee

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 16V529000 (power train). The part to do the repair was not available. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. VIN tool confirms parts not available.

- Beaufort, SC, USA

Jun 092016

Cherokee 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. While driving 70 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning and failed to restart. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the electrical system failed and the valve body and body control module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred three additional times. The contact mentioned that the VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 16V529000 (power train). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 11,000. The consumer stated the vehicle broke down on four separate occasions.. when the consumer tried to restart the vehicle, the electrical components came on and the engine tried to turn over, but failed. All power to the vehicle was working inside; radio, dash, touch screen and lights were on. The consumer tried to restart it again, but the engine did not even turn over, but all the electrical components continued to work. The consumer called a tow truck, and when he jump started it, the vehicle made a loud noise when dropping into gear and jerked upon acceleration. When the vehicle broke down the fourth time, it dropped out of gear with a jerking motion. The transmission failed while merging into the traffic. Once the vehicle transmission dropped out of gear, the parking brake engaged and the vehicle proceeded to fish tail across three lanes of traffic. The vehicle loss power steering and failed to accelerate. Updated 11/08/16. Updated 11/08/16

- Wrens, GA, USA

Sep 012016

Cherokee

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. When the contact depressed the accelerator pedal, the vehicle would not accelerate, the transmission indicator illuminated, and the "shift to park and restart" message appeared. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, but the failure could not be duplicated. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 28,000.

- Verdunville, WV, USA

May 162016

Cherokee

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. While driving approximately 15 mph, the vehicle lost power and the dtc warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle restarted after several attempts, but the failure recurred several times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the failure could not be duplicated.the contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 16V529000 (power train); however, the remedy was not yet available. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 20,000. VIN tool confirms parts not available.

- Zirconia, NC, USA

Feb 202016

Cherokee

Takada recall transmission shifts hard in 1 -3 gears, hesitates on acceleration, stays in low gear on steep incline, drops into neutral uncontrolled and lunges car forward when shifting through first three gears.

- Bauxite, AR, USA

Aug 102016

Cherokee

Car was parked and upon startup produced a loud bang. Car reversed after a jerk and a complete loss of power. Turned car off and turned it back on. Felt like it rode in neutral without the ability to accelerate. Almost caused an accident. I had my child in the back seat. Every light on the dashboard lit up-failed transmission ect... I have photo documentation.

- Freehold, NJ, USA

Sep 092016

Cherokee

Driving down the highway my emergency transmission service and brake service lights came on. I immediately pulled to the side of the road because I could no longer accelerate. I shifted the vehicle into park and restarted it, this temporarily solved the issue. I was able to continue for 2 miles before the vehicle suffered from the same problem again. I had to get the vehicle towed and transmission repaired. My Jeep has less then 30,000 miles.

- Harrisburg, PA, USA

Sep 092016

Cherokee

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. While driving, the vehicle lost power and the transmission indicator illuminated. The vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign number: 16V529000 (power train), but the remedy was not available. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 39,963.

- North Charleston, SC, USA

Aug 302016

Cherokee

While driving on the interstate, the lights for electric stability control, engine and park brake came on. The "service transmission" notice and "service park brake" appeared. Then the vehicle would not accelerate and would get to 4 RPM while going at 50 mph. Bad jumping, lurching, banging when shifting gears or accelerating from a stop.

- El Paso, TX, USA

Dec 012015

Cherokee

A year ago I purchased a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. Shortly after I had a scare when driving my car and all of the sudden it jerked me forward as it jumped into the next gear. It felt like the vehicle got stuck as the RPM's would rev up but I went no where then all of the sudden the car jumps forward.there is clearly a issue with the transmission almost getting stuck then jerking you into the next gear. I notified the dealership and they stated they were aware of this problem but there is no fix. I also went home and looked up this transmission issue and was floored by the amount of complaints regarding this same thing! this problem has progressively gotten worse and more frequent when driving. I do not feel safe driving this vehicle with my child in the back seat. I do not feel I should be financing a known faulty vehicle. They should offer a complete buy back to allow me to purchase a safe and reliable vehicle to drive. This is truly an accident waiting to happen to someone soon. Please help!

- Orlando, FL, USA

Jul 142016

Cherokee

The car will randomly throw code and begin flashing transmission problems. It happened to me while driving on a city street in all 3 cases. Luckily I was not yet on the highway. This seems to be related to the recall that has no solution. This is not acceptable. The car becomes undriveable while in motion. I commute 85 miles per day on a highway with a 15 mo old baby. This is not safe. There is no solution. I want a way out of the car before seeking litigation. This is the 3rd time this has happened in 6 weeks.

- Groveland, FL, USA

Oct 102014

Cherokee

The transmission on our Jeep has been in 4 times for this repair and they admit it is a problem with the software. The problem is a hesitation between gears. It happens when you pullout to pass and it takes 3 to 4 seconds for the transmission to respond to the gas input and then it takes off but it is to late and you have to brake and get back in line. It also happens in snow or icy conditions when you add gas it doesn't respond and feels like it is in neutral and then kicks in and you lose traction. This happens when entering a driveway uphill also. I've never experienced this response from a vehicle before and feel it is a safety issue.

- Whittier, CA, USA

Sep 012016

Cherokee

Sometimes the car will not go when the gas peddle is pushed, other times it will squel the front wheels when pressing the gas peddle and sometimes it lurches when pressing the gas peddle. We've taken it to the jepp dealer and they have done the transmission updates. We talked to jim smolich Jeep dealer and they told us they are waiting for a recall becasue they can't do anything to resolve the problem.

- Bend, OR, USA

Aug 302016

Cherokee

I have had numerous incidents where the transmission shifts unreliably and dangerously. Of most concerns, I have had it repeatedly both shift to neutral, or shift to a much higher gear when trying to merge with traffic from a stop. It is scary to merge with traffic only to have the car lose power dramatically. Sometimes when pressing the gas pedal, the car just coasts for a second or so. Apparently one of the fixes was to keep the transmission from shifting to 2nd or first when slowing - you have to stop completely. At 3 mph, there is no acceleration available in 3rd gear. While there have been a couple of software updates, they have actually made these problem worse. I am the only driver, so it is not an issue with adaptive software being confused by multiple drivers. The dealer provides nothing but doubletalk and apparently is not being supported by fca.

- Boulder, CO, USA

Dec 152015

Cherokee

Ever since corwin Dodge has put the new transmission in, the problem has worsened. The issue has been duplicated by service manager jd weatherfield, who no longer works for corwin Dodge (probably needs to be looked into). The transmission problem has been diagnosed several times and updates were suposedly given"?" last week Chrysler llc gave me an authorization number for a rental through enterprise. This means Chrysler was paying for the rental till my Jeep was fixed. Wrong! I look at my bank account and there was $150 pulled off of my debit card! I was never notified that my Jeep was done. I definitely was not notified that I was paying for the rental. While my care is in the shop, I need something to drive. This is why Chrysler llc gave enterprise an authorization #! I request that Chrysler take back the Jeep and payoff the loan. Another option I was given by Chrysler was to be given a new Jeep latitude with same msrp and transfer my loan to that vehicle. I am not able to trade in cause they offered me $12,000 and I owe $22,000 on it... I really need a supervisor or someone who understands what is going on with my Jeep. I need them to understand that it is not "operating as designed" ! when I bought the vehicle with 10 mile on it, up until 6,000 miles, never did it jump like that. Then from 6,000 miles till 48,000 miles and over 10 services for the transmission, nothing but issues. Even the rental I drive, which is a 2016 Jeep Cherokee latitude, drives perfect. Now that is "operating as designed". not juming around and hesitating before shifting into gear.

- Nixa, MO, USA

Aug 172016

Cherokee

Vehicle has been serviced multiple times for transmission not shifting, shifting hard enough to lose traction, and shifting into neutral at random. Transmission is still not fixed nor functioning properly. This also triggers the stability control to malfunction and lose control on slippery surfaces. Now the four wheel drive feature is broken and not functioning as well. Dealer has had the vehicle more than 6 times in the past 8 weeks, and several times prior in the two years before. This vehicles transmission is a huge safety and loss of vehicle control issue.

- St Johns, MI, USA