Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2014 Jeep Cherokee shows an early trend of transmission complaints. Most of the complaints are for rough shifting — things like jerking & hesitation when shifting gears.

We are keeping an eye on things but the 2014 Cherokee doesn't look like a good model year compared to past years.

2014 Jeep Cherokee drivetrain problems

2014 Jeep Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 8 of 28)

Feb 012016

Transmission shifts poorly. When starting may not start moving when gas pedal pushed. Makes you very nervous on starting at a stop to merge into traffic as it does not move at first. Sometimes after a stop it has not shifted down to first so when you start the transmission shifts hard into first and spins wheels. Shifts hard between second and third and second and first.

- Pueblo, CO, USA

Apr 282016

Transmission disengages while driving. Display on dashboard say put car in "P" and restart vehicle. After doing what the display states, it goes into drive forcefully and makes a load bang. The engine light comes on along the traction control light. After letting the vehicle sit over night and doesn't occur again for about another 10-15 K miles later. This issue created an unsafe condition. All the times this occurred I almost was rear ended, couldn't make turn to a safe pull off area and happened on a on-ramp entering a highway.

- Lehighton, PA, USA

Apr 262016

I keep having hard shifts that jolts my car forward while braking and accelerating. When it does this it make a loud noise and pushes the car forward a little. I have been having this problem for over a year even after I have taken it to the dealer for recalls on the transmission.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Mar 012016

When you accelerate from a full stop or partial stop going down a hill, the vehicle's transmission delays switching from neutral to first gear while you have the gas pedal depressed, resulting in the engine revving up before engaging the gear. So you are stopped, press the gas, the engine revs, you roll out into the intersection since the car isn't in gear, and then it pops into gear suddenly, and lurches you forward. It is dangerous as you do not have the expected response from the vehicle and could find yourself in danger if you don't account for the delay when pulling out in traffic. I have taken the vehicle in 3 times to be repaired and have been told the vehicle is operating as intended. The manufacture is aware of the problem, as are the mechanics, but they do not have a fix for the issue so claim the vehicle is operating as normal. After online research, I discovered many people who own this vehicle have the exact same issue.

- Truckee, CA, USA

Jul 232014

Vehicle has had shifting problems since shortly after purchasing. It will shift hard at low speeds with normal driving, when accelerating will rev up to high RPM before shitting at high resulting in hard shift. The issue has made it difficult to accelerate onto the freeway in a safe manner. Had have vehicle at dealer four times with multiple software updates and vehicle is still not functioning at what would be normal shifting for a normal automatic transmission.

- Escondido, CA, USA

Apr 032016

I'm a us diplomat working in la paz, bolivia. I purchased my 2014 Jeep Cherokee, March 2015 in Florida prior to departing for bolivia. I've had the vehicle for one year and currently has approximately 22,000 miles. On April 3, 2016 my Jeep Cherokee lost power and failed to respond to any of the driving commands such as reverse or drive. Luckily I was still in my driveway when this happened. During the safety incident, the transmission service message come on to include the other service indicators I.e. check engine light. I took the Jeep to a local mechanic as la paz, bolivia does not have a certified Jeep dealership with a service department. The mechanic ran through all systems diagnostics and upgraded the software, temporarily fixing the problem. On April 16, 2016 my Jeep Cherokee lost power once more and this time I was driving up a 9 percent hill. Luckily the person behind me quickly reacted to my safety issue and swerved out of the way to avoid a collision. However, I was stuck on an incline as the vehicle did not have enough power to make it to the top of the hill. I had to drive the vehicle in reverse to get to the bottom of the hill creating a huge traffic jam and putting my life endanger as I avoided incoming traffic. I took the vehicle to the mechanic on April 18, 2016 and he spent two days trying to figure out the problem but, with no luck; because on April 20, 2016 the safety issue occurred once again. Due to the steep hills in la paz which are from 9 - 30 percent grades, I cannot safely drive my vehicle. I have a $24K piece of equipment sitting in my driveway because I refuse to put my life, my families or other people's life in danger. I cannot stress this enough losing power on any driving environment albeit on a highway or driving up a hill is a serious safety issue.

- Dpo, AA, USA

Apr 022016

Transmission shifts unpredictably and rough. Can feel like being rear-ended on a 2-3 shift while acceleration from a stop can feel like the transmission is slipping - engine revs go up but vehicle barely moves. These issues cause the vehicle to not respond as expected and have almost caused several accidents. These issues occur at low speeds, whether you are turning or not.

- Gilbert, AZ, USA

Apr 142016

2014 Jeep Cherokee bought in December 2014 500miles. Shortly after purchase, car shifting erratically, lunging forward at stops, and not accelerating when stepping on gas appropriately. On the way to work one day, car bogged down in traffic, turned off, would not turn back on for over 30 minutes, trying to start all lights and check engine warnings were going haywire. Car finally started, got to work, but car did not start up again after my shift, had to have car towed to dealer. They did updates and computer resets, picked up vehicle, only for vehicle to shut down on the lot, they took it back in, and kept it over night. They felt they fixed the problem, but again on the way to work, car still shifting dangerously, lunging forward, and has shut down again. Even while in a drive thru, car lunged forward almost hitting another car in front of me. Car taken back into dealer, again they completed a ton of recalls, and updates, some repeated form the last few times, I took the car in. The car has been in the shop 5-6 times now, with 2 claims escalated to Jeep/Chrysler. I am pregnant, and with the car shutting down in the middle of traffic is extremely, lunging forward, shifting erratically, and bogging down while on highway has only brought fear to my safety, the safety of my pregnancy, and the safety of others driving around me, as I hope this can be fixed before something horrible happens. I have requested to claims that the car be replaced, or be issued a buy back, safety is my main concern ! this vehicle is no good< and should not be driven or resold !

- Summit, IL, USA

Apr 172016

Vehicle lost power in the middle of a busy intersection. The throttle control warning light, and the check engine light came on. This is a very serious safety hazard as two vehicles almost collide with me due to the sudden loss of power and stalling.

- Austin, TX, USA

Apr 152016

After starting my vehicle first thing in the morning, I drive less than a 1/4 mile, my Jeep will suddenly lose power and stall. This happens in traffic and I become a traffic hazard in heavy traffic. The vehicle tells me to put the shifter in "park" and once I do and attempt to restart the vehicle, it usually takes several attempts, but it will start. Due to the issue, vehicles stack up behind me, others attempt to go around me, and when the vehicle does regain power, it chugs along for another 1/4 mile before it seems to be running normally. My vehicle only has 26,000 miles on it, and I should not be experiencing this issue. I am bound to get hit in traffic when my vehicle loses sudden power the way that it does. I lose power steering, and at this point, I am unsure if the air-bags would operate due to the power loss.

- Austin, TX, USA

Apr 112016

A couple months after purchasing my car brand new I got a flat tire for no reason. The sensor had to be replaced as well and it took over a week to change my tire. The dealership was awful and the Jeep roadside assurance took 6 hours to get to me for a tow, I complained to no avail. Next my transmission was acting weird. Accelerating and decelerating without me gassing or braking. Took it in and no one took me seriously. December 2015 my cars transmission disengaged on the highway at night. Thankful I could pull over to the side. Got it towed to Jeep they said the transmission module needed to be replaced but there was no real fix because the software to fix it hasn't been created yet. So basically we're going to put a faulty part back in your car and cross our fingers it works. Yesterday 4/11/16 the exact thing happened on the highway but in the mid morning. Again I was able to veer off with no power safely but was in a bad spot on the highway with cars racing past me and not moving over or slowing down. Definitely a stressful experience. Got towed again and the maintenance were so relaxed about it. They didn't care at all even though this was my second problem in less than 6 months. Turns out it was the same problem and they fixed it in one day because they have transmission modules in stock. One can only assume it's because many owners are coming in to get them replaced. I'm am looking into lemon laws and suggest everyone with this problem does the same.

- Henderson, NV, USA

Apr 012016

Intermittent rough and delayed shifting, will suddenly just shut off while driving. Have taken it to the dealership on three different occasions for the shifting issues, they did some updates to the software but that still hasn't fixed the issue. Car has suddenly stopped in the middle of the road while driving.

- Crestview, FL, USA

Dec 012014

My vehicle shifts when it is not supposed to, downshifts at higher speeds, and when you put your foot on the gas it takes approx 3 seconds at times for the car to move forward. Sometimes once the gas kicks it, it lungs forward, other times it will not move

- Pollock Pines, CA, USA

Apr 062016

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep latitude (na). While driving approximately 20 mph, the vehicle stalled and was unable to restart. The next day, while driving approximately 35 mph, the vehicle hesitated and made an abnormal noise. In addition, all the warning lights illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the oil ran to the sensor map and the BCM, fault map sensor, and aero shield needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired; however, the hesitation recurred. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 20,192.

- Madsion, WI, USA

Mar 262016

While driving my Jeep in speeds 5 mph to 20 mph, the transmission shifts hard and lunges, there are delays in engagement causing my car to hesitate when I press the accelerator, then suddenly it engages and lunges. It is dangerous pulling out into traffic. This has been a problem from about 5,000 miles on the vehicle. Each time I bring it to the Jeep service department, they say they did an update to the software, but I continue to have problems. Jeep service department technicians tell me that Chrysler is aware of this issue and my Jeep is defective. However, they also say there is no way to fix it. I filed a complaint with Chrysler complaint department and nothing happened. They told me that there is no record of my Jeep having transmission problems and they are unaware that this is a known issue. I was told not to bring my Jeep into the service department anymore for transmission problems. When I purchased my vehicle, I paid for a lifetime warranty, but the transmission problem is now excluded. My local Jeep dealership omitted information from my service records to show that my Jeep has no transmission issues, and Chrysler complaint department is backing them up on it.

- Sparks, NV, USA

Apr 042016

Bought this at steve jones Jeep in owensboro ky in may of 2014. I took it back to them 4 times complaining about transmission shifting erratically. This is a similar complaint that I have read over and over about on this site and other forums. Jeeps response is to do an other software download. They did 2-3 software reloads but said it was running normal and there was nothing they could do. I have learned to deal with it for last 1.5 years. It has days where it shifts really rough other days it is great. My friends joke with me whether my car is having a good or bad day, seriously! sounds funny but it has been really aggravating. Every once in a while it stalls when coming to a stop at stop signs/lights, or when taking off. To restart have to remove key and then it usually restarts fine. This morning it seemed to be running fine, I pulled out of subdivision and it stalled in middle of road. I tried restarting and it wouldn't, could hear fuel pump up and engine turned over then starter disengaged. During this I was nearly hit by a on coming car. I push if to side of road. After 8th or 9th try it finally started. It had a red warning "service transmission" and engine light on. It stalled several more times after putting in gear. It felt like it was stuck in 3rd gear. I shut it off for 10 minutes then restarted it and warnings were gone and it drove normal to work. Coming home it also stalled once while leaving work. Today was the first time this has happened that it nearly caused a major accident. I really fear this problem will end up in my death, I will end up killed in an accident because of a software glitch. I made another appointment foe this Saturday at dealer but I already know what the out come will be. They will reload the software and there will be no change. I can not afford to buy another vehicle but after this morning I feel I have to do something.

- Spanish Fort, AL, USA

Apr 012016

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. The contact noticed a burning odor under the hood and, within seconds, the engine caught fire. There were no injuries. The fire department extinguished the fire and stated that it initiated at the transmission area. The vehicle was towed for further inspection. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 30,000...updated 05/17/16

- Macclenny, FL, USA

Mar 142016

I got a service parking brake message on the screen, the Jeep just stopped moving, engine still runs but will not shift gears. Once in heavy traffic! I turned the engine off and back on, I got a service transmission message. I put the Jeep in gear and it moved only have a loud jerk. It was towed to the dealer. They kept the car 2 days and called to tell me it was fixed. I picked it up and drove it one day, the next morning the exact same problem happened. I turned the engine off and back on and slowly drove it to the dealer. This time it stayed in the dealer's shop for 5 days. This vehicle is very unsafe. When the error message flashes on the screen the Jeep does not move, it does not coast to a stop so you can pull out of traffic, it stops dead right there. It doesn't matter if you are driving 5 mph or 70 mph, it does not move after getting the message. I feel very unsafe driving this vehicle now.

- Port Saint Lucie, FL, USA

Apr 152014

Very harsh gear engagement while vehicle is in motion. Significant lag before downshift, followed by a harsh gear engagement and the loss of control when vehicle finally accelerates at a high rate. Whole car shakes violently with 1-2 and 2-3 shift. Transmission holds gear while on slight inclines with moderate throttle.

- Brookhaven, PA, USA

Mar 252016

My Jeep was traveling at 55 mph on a state road when it lost power and had to be steared/coast to the side of the road. Had we been on an interstate this would have caused an accident, injury or death. The dealer claims nothing is wrong with the car and ready to release it to me today 3/29/16 to continue driving as a safe vehicle. In addition, the entire dashboard electronics had to be replaced at 8800 miles, the wiper blades fail, stall, or go off the side frame off the windshield during use causing hazardous driving conditions and reduced visibility, , the key remote fails (not due to dead battery), the bluetooth reliability is intermittent which nulls the hands-free option for phone use while driving, the front and rear defrost did not work causing reduced visibility while driving in early morning hours and was repaired or replaced at 8800 miles, a rotational squeal was reported at 8800 miles and dealer claimed they could not duplicate. 5 months later, the noise continued. After I wrote them directions and sat with them, they replaced a faulty water pump on 4/21/15. The heat deflector shield and the resonator was replaced on 5/21. The car was towed to the dealer after the recent transmission failure. I will not drive the car again and risk the safety of my family or others.

- Hillsborough, NC, USA