CarComplaints.com Notes: There's no way around it, the Cherokee's transmission is junk. There's no other explanation for why a vehicle, usually with under 40,000 miles, would have so many complaints

2014 Jeep Cherokee drivetrain problems

2014 Jeep Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 8 of 31)

Aug 042016

Cherokee

While driving 10-15 mph in my neighborhood my Jeep slipped out of gear made a grinding noise and came to an abrupt stop. My engine light came on and a "service transmission" warning popped up. My dashboard instructed me to shift the car in to "P" then into my desired gear. I shifted the car in to park, pressed on the brake and shifted the car into "D" released the brake and proceeded to step on the gas only to have the engine rev like it was still in neutral or park. I shifted the car back into park and shut off my vehicle. I restarted the vehicle and attempted to place the car in "D." the transmission made a grinding noise and did not shift smoothly into gear making a loud clicking sound. This happened twice in a span of 500 ft. A transmission shop couldn't find a issue and recommended I take it to a Jeep dealership. It is currently there having the same issues.

- Taylorsville, UT, USA

Aug 012016

Cherokee

Ongoing issues with 9 speed transmission since the vehicle was delivered new. 8 service dates in dealer service shop varying from 1-30 days duration totaling 64 days. Transmission has been replaced completely twice, transmission control module replaced twice, multiples software updates under warranty. Date of occurrence listed in this form is the last date of service. Following are symptoms: Transmission does not downshift when slowing around curves and lugs in too high of a gear when accelerating. ¿transmission intermittently slips when slowly accelerating on moderate to steep slopes from a stop - then abruptly lunges into gear. ¿when at speed, the transmission exhibits long delays when acceleration is attempted. ¿when shifting into reverse, transmission intermittently does not initially engage ¿ then abruptly engages. ¿transmission unexpectedly disengages or shifts into neutral.

- Costa Mesa, CA, USA

Aug 132016

Cherokee

I started my car and shifted it to reverse on a slight decline in my driveway. The car shook and made a strange noise. I pushed the accelerator and car rolled foward not doing anything. I shifted it back to park and the whole car shook again. I did it again from park to reverse to drive and it shook every time. The dash said service transmission and parking brake. I turned the car off and now it only has the service transmission light on. I tried again a day later and it does shift but makes a crunching sound under the clutch. I contacted Chrysler and they are calling me back with a case worker. My Jeep has 18000 miles on it. I have had no other issues except the delay from 2nd gear and the delay of the car taking off when you accelerate but I figured it was designed that way.

- Taylor Mill, KY, USA

Aug 142016

Cherokee

I have had multiple instances of the transmission falling out of gear and losing all power. In order to get any acceleration I have to restart the car multiple times. At this point I will be unable to get above 5-10 mph. When shifting between gears during these instances the car will jerk violently as I shift between P R N & D. on one occasion the car accelerated in reverse when the dash shows that I was in D. in every instance this has occurred while I was driving the vehicle. Multiple times both on the freeway and on city streets. When the issue occurs my check engine, service transmission, service parking brake, and traction control lights come on. The issue is not affected by speed, turning, etc. I currently have a replacement transmission in the car and have had it into two different dealerships multiple times for this issue and am still experiencing the problem. I have taken video records of the latest instances and shown the service advisors.

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

Apr 262016

Cherokee

I didn¿T know just how quirkily sensitive this vehicle would become to starting off; especially after fca started recalls for transmission software updates. This (R01) was completed on the vehicle, (March 2015 at 17,399 miles). Until I got rid of the vehicle in May 2016 it became a crap-shoot as to how the vehicle would respond to acceleration from either a full or rolling stop. In May 2015 (20,362 miles), I had my first transmission failure after making a turn from a full stop. There were service transmission and parking brake warnings. I stopping, put the vehicle into park and turned off the ignition. I was able to restart and engage the transmission and drive to dealership. Diagnoses found multiple stored codes related to the trans flash recall. In August 2015, (23,861 miles) there was the 2nd incident when the transmission locked into 2nd gear while going down a winding road and remained so until we were on flatter ground. The dealer reprogrammed the transmission control module. 25 days later (Aug 31, 2015 and 24,174 miles) the vehicle was back in the shop when the 'service shifter and transmission¿ indicators came on. Diagnoses found dtcs P0978 and U0402, whatever that means. I filed a complaint with fca Jeep customer service (case #27729231) on September 2, 2015. They offered no solution or resolution. In May 2016, (34,833 miles) while driving up a winding hill at about 40 mph the vehicle went into neutral and would not engage any gear other than park. I proceeded to put the vehicle in park, turn-off the ignition, restart the vehicle, and engage the transmission which never got out of 3rd gear on the drive to a Jeep dealer. They refer to this as ¿limp¿ mode, which tells me a lot about what fca knew of their transmission problems. They found and replaced a faulty transmission valve body which facilitates electronic transmission shifting from one gear to another.

- Palm Beach Gardens, FL, USA

Aug 102016

Cherokee

2014 Jeep Cherokee - transmission is terrible. Revs and does not shift; delays in shifting. Jerks and pauses. I have had nothing but problems for 2 years; my lease is up in May 2017. I will not get another Jeep product.

- Pittsurgh, PA, USA

Aug 012016

Cherokee

It feels like it can take a full second from the moment they step on the gas to when the car actually starts moving. And once it does start moving, it's a coin flip if you¿re going to steadily get up to speed or squeal some tires. This is going to shorten the life of the Jeep. It also hangs out in 2nd gear for too long. When the transmission finally shifts into 3rd gear it is aggressive, lurching transition.

- Louisburg, KS, USA

Aug 082016

Cherokee

Stopped at intersection to pull out. Pressed on the gas and had acceleration for 1 second and then lost all power. Did not have the ability to go forward. Luckily I had enough momentum to get off the road. If not I could have been killed.

- Elizabethtown, PA, USA

May 012016

Cherokee

This zf 9 spd transmission is the worst thing invented. It shifts eractic, rough, clunky, and slips. Told dealer about it, had it in for software update, still doing the same. I will trade it away as soon as I can.

- Zelienople, PA, USA

Mar 312014

Cherokee

Car was purchased brand new in March of 2014. Has consistently had issues with the transmission. Car shift hard (in the lower gears), transmission makes loud noises, and has repeatedly jerked forward when downshifting. There have been a few times where I nearly rear ended another vehicle due to this. Have had the car back to the dealer for all recalls and transmission software updates as required. I am currently at 75,000 miles and now the car is randomly stalling when slowing down or backing out of my driveway. I am going to be taking it to the dealership in two weeks when I am on vacation to see what the issue is. Very unsafe vehicle!

- Warren, OH, USA

Jul 162016

Cherokee

Transmission shifting very rough.when it changes gears it jumps, lurches abruptly while driving

- Ozone Park, NY, USA

Jan 192016

Cherokee

Major issues with the 9 speed transmission. Vehicle jumps, bangs and lurches forward when coming to a stop. It also lunges forward when lightly tapping the gas. Also experiencing issues with the lower gears (1-4). Extremely rough shifts between (1-4). I brought it in for service several times and as per the service director, "vehicle shifting as design intent". back in Jan 2016, I pull the Jeep out of the driveway and try to put it in drive and give it gas, it would not move. Seemed like it was in a higher gear (4 or 5) instead of 1st great. I turned the vehicle off, waited a few minutes and then back on. The check engine light was on and I was able to atleast drive it to pick up my kid at the bus stop but it was running extremely rough. I brought it in for service and they said it's not the trans but they did replace a camshaft sensor. Still experiencing issues with the shifts after replacing the sensor. Just this past week the vehicle stopped driving while my wife and 2 kids were driving on a major highway in NJ. The Jeep was still running, ac was on, all the lights lit up on the dashboard and the power steering also stopped working. Luckily, my wife was able to muscle the car onto the shoulder. We called service dept and they sent a tow truck. The driver goes to put it in reverse and it goes forward, not once but twice! this is an extremely dangerous vehicle! any help is greatly appreciated!

- Flanders, NJ, USA

Jul 182016

Cherokee

Since purchasing the car new, it sporadically hesitates when I step on the gas and sometimes it lurches forward. Twice I have almost been broadsided when pulling out onto a highway or changing lanes. I am afraid to drive the car in traffic because it is unpredictable and I came very close to being hit with my grandson in the car last month. Drivers think I deliberately slow down and they get angry with me. In my driveway, sometimes the engine just revs instead of moving the car like it is in neutral but I have it in drive. Other times I try to slowly pull up behind a car at a stop sign and the car will lurch forward. It is like the car shifts itself into neutral and it doesn't matter if I am sitting still in the driveway or going 70 mph on the highway. I have seen the tachometer rev up when this occurs. I am going to be hit one of these days if something isn't done. I asked the dealer if other Jeep are doing it and he said, "yes", but didn't offer any solution. There have already been three recalls on this model and year for compromised uconnect computer system, windshield wiper shorting problem and lift gate, but they are not life threatening like the current problem. Please help. This problem occurs at least once a month, but sometimes daily....no pattern or reason. It can be first thing in the morning when I pull out of the garage or on a long trip. Usually it doesn't last long, but long enough to leave me in the middle of the road or lane change with oncoming traffic. I am 67 years old so this is not good for my heart either...it scares me to death. I don't want to drive it anymore, but I can't afford to get a new car and it's the only transportation I have. The odometer just turned over 21,000 miles.

- Lake Havasu City, AZ, USA

Jul 182016

Cherokee

My Jeep has been in the shop twice in 2 weeks for transmission issues, hard shifts lunging, lost power ect...they retrained my transmission the first time & replaced the valve body the 2nd time. Yet it is still not working right.

- Chandler, AZ, USA

Jul 252016

Cherokee

Lights started flashing on dash including transmission needs service. Then car just lost power while driving. Very dangerous as I had to coast across 3 lanes of heavy traffic. Luckily other drivers were paying attention and braked for me or it would have been a bad rear end collision. The car told me to restart it. That allowed me to drive it home with service transmission light on. Made service appointment immediately. When I went to take it service a week later, the car had reset itself!!! dealership was able to recall the failure codes

- Gilbert, AZ, USA

Jul 292016

Cherokee

When I got off work one morning, about to get on interstate but Jeep was acting funny, all the warning lights came on, so I decided to stay on service road, came to a light and stopped, mind you all the lights were blinking and then my wipers started going off, the Jeep wouldn't go then it died. I tried three times to push the start button but the Jeep didnt start until finally the 3rd time, it didn't drive well, spudders until I pulled over into a parking lot, the car warning lights were on and flashing wipers going without being on. I turned the car off and waited for about 15 minutes and it came back on still had warning lights on but not flashing and the car drove fine all the way to the dealership. This happened about 5 weeks ago they found nothing wrong. About two weeks I was backing up, then put in drive and the Jeep continue to back up, had to put in park then in drive to go forward this happen three times on that day, then on same day was driving on the interstate and going about 73 mph it was driving rough, the rpms stayed on 4 and never did idal down. Took to dealership again, nothing wrong. Then on Friday 7/29/16 same thing with all the lights and wipers going off, back to dealership, as of yesterday Tuesday still nothing wrong. I brought with 176 miles on it, never got the extra warrenty or service warrenty sorry don't the money for that, I had to pay for my own rent a car, dealership won't pay for it. I have 57000 miles on my car in two years, all hwy miles I work far from home. I want to trade but will be upside down very bad. I don't feel safe in this Jeep and will never buy another one ever, ever, ever... Jeep dealership doesn't give a rat's ass either. Not a happy camper.

- Bells, TX, USA

May 122014

Cherokee

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. The contact stated that the vehicle randomly stalled more than five times and was towed to the dealer each time for diagnostic testing and repair. The dealer replaced the transmission and various sensors, but the failure continued to randomly progress. The dealer was unable to provide a repair solution. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and was unable to provide a repair remedy to the dealer. The failure mileage was not available.

- Panama City Beach, FL, USA

Jul 282016

Cherokee

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. While driving approximately 30 mph, the transmission jerked forward when the contact's foot released the accelerator pedal. The vehicle was taken to the dealer at least ten times and they are not able to duplicate the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 17,800.

- Milwakee, WI, USA

Jul 292016

Cherokee

While driving service transmission display came on. Soon after lost acceleration to car unable to drive

- Baldwin, NY, USA

Jul 072016

Cherokee

I have a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. 3 recalls (shifting, wipers and lift gate) still waiting on the parts for the lift gate. Massive shifting issues. Low speeds transmission slams into the lower gear and hesitates to shift in a higher gear. Sitting in a line the car will jump forward even with foot on the brake. Driving approx. 60 mph on interstate rounded a curve, the transmission did a weird noise and the whole car shifted to the right, the car slammed into the lower gear, almost loosing control. If you do not come to a full stop before trying to accelerate, there is a 2 to 5 second hesitation before it will downshift and go forward. I have almost gotten into several accidents because of this. Driving down a street at approx. 25 miles per hour the car accelerated then downshifted almost immediately causing a whip lash effect. I have had it looked at the dealer every time I have taken for a oil change and they say Jeep knows it a problem but don't know how to fix it. They do updates on the system but nothing has helped. This last time made it worse. How long does Jeep have to "know" a problem exists before they fix it or buy them back" does someone have to die" it has been very close several times. There have been so many incidences its hard to pick just one. This has been a constant problem since the first "update" about 6 months after I bought the vehicle. I have a special needs child, I don't have the money to try to trade this car off as upside down as I am...I need some help.

- Plattsmouth, NE, USA