Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2014 Jeep Cherokee shows an early trend of transmission complaints. Most of the complaints are for rough shifting — things like jerking & hesitation when shifting gears.

We are keeping an eye on things but the 2014 Cherokee doesn't look like a good model year compared to past years.

2014 Jeep Cherokee drivetrain problems

2014 Jeep Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 9 of 28)

Mar 282016

Jeep only has 31,000 miles and we have already had it back to the dealership several time to get the service transmission problem fix only to take it back a month later for the same problems of just sticking in a gear or not going into any gear at all and hard shifting.

- Danese, WV, USA

Mar 242016

Transmission shifting is erratic and rough. Flat spots in acceleration. Occasionally transmission has jumped to neutral. Had transmission firmware reflashed per manufacturer service bulletins. Dealer says nothing else they can do at this point.

- Shawnee, KS, USA

Mar 222016

Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

My Jeep Cherokee 2014 has 21181 mileage and the check engine light came on.I notice that the car was shifting into gear hard and at times would not accelerate when getting on the freeway. So my husband took it to get the oil changed at the dealership where we bought the Jeep and they said everything looked good. Well when my husband left all the dummy lights came on he turned right around and went back to the dealership, the service manager came out and said the tech put the wrong oil filter on and that they would have to redo the oil change. On a month later the check engine light comes on so we call the dealership and ask if maybe them putting the wrong filter on that I would cause the check engine light to come on.the service manager said no that we would have to take it to Jeep. It is still under warranty because it is under the mileage.but I looked on the complaint forum and seen many people having the same problem some having a hard time getting Chrysler to help them. And almost all of them having the transmission replaced. I find that to be very disturbing considering I have only had the car for 8 months. I feel that the car should be replaced this is a dangerous situation that could cost lives. Thank you.Tacoma

- Tacoma, WA, USA

Nov 012014

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. The contact stated that while attempting to accelerate from a stop, the accelerator pedal was depressed but the vehicle failed to accelerate. In addition, the vehicle jerked. The vehicle was taken to multiple dealers. The contact was unsure about what part needed to be replaced; however, the vehicle was repaired. The failure persisted. The vehicle was taken to another dealer where it was diagnosed that there was a failure with the transmission programming. The dealer stated that there was no remedy for the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Linn, MO, USA

Sep 012014

Vehicle surges ahead when stopped, or hesitates on acceloration and sometimes slips out of gear when accelorating. These problems have happened since I purchased the car and so far there have been 3 software upgrades that aren't helping

- Syracuse, NY, USA

Mar 072016

The electronic transmission lever feels like it is in the parking mode but is has been a false assumption and may be in the reverse or neutral gear. It has happened in city street and the vehicle has rolled being that it was in neutral gear and not in the parking mode.

- Cooper City, FL, USA

Mar 162016

My transmission has 9 gears and can be used in the automatic or manual modes. When in the manual mode and when shifting from 5th to 4th gear the car free wheels or acts as though it is in neutral and gains speed going down hill. This occurs continually. This does not happen in any other gear. When down shifting, the rpms go up and the speed slows down except for 5th to 4th gear. I brought this up to the local Jeep dealer and they said that this is normal and will not fix it. I brought this to the attention of the local dealer twice. They also said that all Cherokee are this way. They even tested another Cherokee from the lot and it did the same thing. In addition, they said the Chrysler 200 models do this also.

- Reno, NV, USA

Sep 012014

My car will shift hard in reverse, sometimes into drive, and also from 1st gear into 2nd gear. Also, when turning, and trying to accelerate, I notice the car feels like it is in slow motion and does not accelerate, even if I am stepping hard on the pedal. I have also noticed that the car will not shift into higher gears when climbing in elevation. Many times I have been driving up in elevation, and will be stuck in 4th gear unable to shift to a higher gear. The problem all seems to revolve around this new 9 speed transmission. I have taken to the dealership, and they have checked the computer to find nothing. I am updated on all of my recalls. I was told next time, "I should buy a V6" by the dealership.

- Glendale, AZ, USA

Mar 022016

Car shuts down, coast to stop. Dash light all flash. Message service transmission. Put in park restart car. This is the third time in 3 weeks it has been back to dealer. The last time they replaced tcm. Last time 3/15/16 26000 miles on vehicle shuts down in 65 mph traffic causes chaos with vehicles behind you. The first time this happened was after a recall to reprogram transmission.

- Deltona, FL, USA

Jul 152015

A list of the current life threatening and non life threatening conditions I have encountered with my Jeep Cherokee trailhawk. The most serious being a persistent problem in relation to the transmission shifting and accelerating causing the car to jerk and in some cases whiplash. As an electrical engineer I have seen the electronic repairs made to the vehicle and yet there is still persistent mechanical problems with this transmission. I have encountered lint mode were the car will not move from gears 1, 2, or 3 on 65mph highway which I believe has caused irreversible damage to the car. The issue occurred in July on route 202 in a cattle shoot created by summer time road work I had to continue to drive the vehicle nearly 2 miles until I was able to pull over and asses the issue. Below is a list of current and past problems: -transmission stopped on a 65mph highway (new software loaded still a problem) -shifter locked in drive couldn't shift to neutral took 4 hours to shut car off at dealership (entire shifter replaced) - navigation (replaced two times, on my third nav system) - window motor mechanism (replaced) - moonroof shade and assembly (being replaced this week) -faulty wiring of cigarette lighter causing fuse to blow due to electrical short (rewired and fuse replaced) -speaker (replaced) -waterproofing trim falling off (replaced) -rattling from bolts for seat-belts (attempted fix didn't work) -O2 sensor causing multiple engine starts (replaced) -front seat uneven (replaced) -recalls ranging from hacking to electrical shorts that have been noted to cause a serious electrical fire

- Malvern, PA, USA

Oct 012015

Jeep has loss of power between 0-5 mph; 25-35 mph and 55-65 mph. After more than 3 dealership visits and flash module and software updates the vehicle has gotten progressively worse with loss of power and now uneven shifting including jerking when shifting. If you press the gas pedal down there is a delay before the vehicle goes. I have had these issues from the get go 3K miles and now have 8.5K on it with no fixes or end in sight. Fca has had little to no communication with me up to this point and am still waiting on a call back from them.

- El Paso, TX, USA

Feb 062016

Transmission shifting issues at low speed. Hard shifting from reverse to drive. Hard shifting from park to any other gear. Recent "clunking" in transmission when shifting with several ip lights on. This will happen from time to time. Dealer supports sw re-flash, but at this time no effect.

- York, SC, USA

Feb 292016

While driving engine shut off without warning, speed goes to 0mph, low battery warning pop up and want me to shift to P and desired gear. Turned it off and on nothing happens. Try it few times and nothing. Waited for 3-5 min turned it on, and it runs normal with engine light on. After about 100ft it stall again. Try the process before and it goes normal again. Car stalled twice a day. First stall happened few days ago. Vehicle was in motion on a city street.

- Carolina, PR, USA

Feb 232016

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. While accelerating from a complete stop, the transmission exhibited extreme hesitation and jerked forward. The vehicle stalled without warning. There were multiple attempts before the vehicle restarted. The failure recurred numerous times. The dealer replaced the transmission and the failure recurred the same day. The failure became progressively worse. The vehicle was not repaired a second time. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 66,000.

- Winnsboro, TX, USA

Feb 282016

Driving 30 mph when warning lights & signals flash on dash. Car quits accelerating; speed falls to zero while my foot was on the gas. Transmission revving; car going nowhere. I coast to the side of the road. I try to move the gear shift to reverse or drive. Nothing. Turn off engine. Restarted vehicle. "service transmission" appeared on dash. Check engine light came on. Waited on side of road to be towed to dealership. Spoke to dealership the next business day. Told them what happened. Service tech said, "so it was like it shifted into neutral"" I thought about it for a minute and said, "yes, it was like that, but I never touched a thing." Then I asked, "have you ever heard of that happening before"" service tech replied, "nope. Never."

- Allenton, MI, USA

Feb 172016

Transmission acting erratically. The transmission will shift hard into 2nd and 3rd gear. When coming to a stop it will downshift in a rough manner. When putting the vehicle into drive the transmission will bang into 1st gear. When highway driving on a flat surface the transmission will shift between gears for no reason. It will never no into 9th gear. There is also a great deal of torque steer when accelerating.

- Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA

Jan 292016

On 2 seperate occasions in the past month, vehicle is driving straight on the highway just fine when the vehicle unexpectedly loses power (does not stall, simply will not maintain speed, until vehicle finally coasts to a stop as the momentum fades). Transmission light & other lights illuminate, finally the service engine light remains lit. After a prolonged resting of the vehicle (typically 15 minutes or more) the vehicle then becomes able to move again, but must accelerate very slowly at first. Eventually vehicle can resume normal speed. Very dangerous as vehicle loses ability to move during crowded rush hour traffic!

- Holtsville, NY, USA

Feb 202016

While driving on a major highway all of the dash warning lights started going off and the display said, "service tranmission" the car began to decelerate on the highway in traffic and would not pick up speed. I immediately pulled over and put the car in park. When I would switch it back to drive the car would jerk very roughly. I immediately called the dealer and they said to bring it in. I had to drive with it stuck in one speed to the dealership. I feel this is a huge safety concern sine I was on a major highway.

- Buda, TX, USA

Feb 102016

The transmission repeatedly and unexpectedly goes into what feels like neutral, then slams back into whatever gear it feels like. Sometimes a higher gear, sometimes a lower gear. As we live in upstate NY travel on snow or ice covered roads can be frequent. When it has decided to suddenly downshift itself we have been sent sliding twice into the oncoming lane with no warning, thankfully no traffic was coming towards us at the time. This problem started soon after the purchase. The dealer has since done 3 "transmission ECM upgrades" but no change. It is now scheduled for the 4th time. I have lost faith in the vehicle as when I go online I find many others with the problem. Obviosly we owners need your help before we get killed in these vehicles.

- Greene, NY, USA

Feb 172016

My 2014 Jeep Cherokee engine will completely turn off when trying to shift from first to second gear. This is alarming because I'm almost always driving with a one year old in the backseat and when at a stop light or stop sign the car will just not accelerate when the gas is pressed and then unexpectedly just stay idle. Because I am already at a stopped position I have no traction to move the car to the side of the road and the car is left stranded where I stopped. I have also experienced a noticeable jerking motion when traveling at high speeds and its shifting at higher gears.

- Culver City, CA, USA