CarComplaints.com Notes: There's no way around it, the Cherokee's transmission is junk. There's no other explanation for why a vehicle, usually with under 40,000 miles, would have so many complaints

2014 Jeep Cherokee drivetrain problems

2014 Jeep Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 1 of 32)

Jan 132017

Cherokee

Check engine light came on December 17th and when we were able to take it into the dealership for the third time with transmission light on also, they were supposed to complete the repair and did not. As of January 16th, 2017 we have been notified that when the check engine light came on again and was hooked up to be diagnosed the engine needed to be replaced. We cannot get a straight answer on anything but I know it is related to the transmission. All that Jeep has done each time is reset the computer to wipe out the warning lights and sent us on our way. It could have at anytime injured or killed myself, my husband, child and anyone else while we continued to drive the vehicle.

Jan 172017

Cherokee

Car loses power. Has happened about 20 times and have had all recalls performed. Happens within first few minutes of driving. Car shuts down when decelerating for a turn or stop sign. A transmission message appears. Car has to sit for a few minutes before it will restart. Sometimes will happen again after restarting and taking another turn. Also seems to happen more often during high humidity weather. After one or two restarts, the car runs normally. Has happened intermittently since I have had the car but happened three times 1/16/2017 and this morning as well

- Antioch, IL, USA

Jan 122017

Cherokee

Car shifts into low gear or neutral at 60 mph for no apparent reason. Shakes violently and warning lights flash. This has happened three times and no available repair.

- Farmington, MO, USA

Jan 132017

Cherokee

I have taken my Jeep in three times to the dealership due to the transmission recall. On Friday, January 13, 2014 travelling down 635E in dallas my Jeep during rush hour in the evening while travelling 70 decided to shut down and throw itself into neutral. I was only able to avoid an accident by being in the far right lane and pull off immediately. It caused the Jeep to jerk almost to a full stop and could have caused an accident had I been in another lane. The recall is still showing incomplete. I called rockwall Dodge Jeep who did the last three "repairs" and could not see us for 4 days, meanwhile it is not safe to drive the vehicle. I contacted a second dealership who looked into the mater and found that the recall was incomplete because the other dealership only reset the computer and never ordered the part that needed to be replaced. It is possible that due to the continuous issue this has caused permanent damage to the transmission which I have been informed may be my responsibility to repair due to us driving it with the issues. This has been ongoing for over 6 plus months and is not resolved. This could have been a serious accident and should have been resolved the first visit.

Apr 042016

Cherokee

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. The contact stated that the gears hesitated to shift without warning. The dealer had replaced the hydraulic pressure sensor and a valve but the failure continued. The contact was later notified of NHTSA campaign number: 16V529000 (power train) but the dealer had not yet received the remedy and part so the contact was unable to determine when the manufacturer may provide a solution for the repair. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and the contact was waiting for the recall repair to be completed. The failure mileage was not available. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Montrose, IA, USA

Jan 112017

Cherokee

On 3 ocassions. I've had this vehicle at the dealership, explaining the vehicle hard shifts, lunges, disengages, 'd' warning light blinks, and engine dies. And each time the service writer tells me they can find no problems. According to automotive news report dated Feb. 2, 2015, this is not new news. Jan. 11, 2017, my wife was driving home from work after dark, in the inside lane, and the engine died, and had to coast to the unsafe inside shoulder against the barrier wall, with no way for me to come to her rescue. Called a wrecker, towed the Jeep home, only to get home and check it out, and find no evidence of any problems. What's more, the service writer also told me the usual amount of oil this engine uses (about a quart a month) is normal.

- Blanchard, OK, USA

Cherokee

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. After the vehicle was shifted into drive, the check engine and service transmission warning indicators illuminated. The accelerator pedal was depressed, but the vehicle failed to move. The vehicle was restarted several times, but failed to operate properly. The vehicle was towed to a dealer, but had not been diagnosed or repaired. In addition, when the vehicle was in the drive or reverse positions, it would hesitate and jerk violently. The contact also stated that while stopped, the vehicle inadvertently accelerated. The manufacturer was notified of the failures. The failure mileage was approximately 19,000.

- Elmwood Park, IL, USA

Cherokee

Transmission began slipping and riding rough around 50,000 miles. At 55,000 miles car bucked and stalled when entering freeway. Service transmission message appeared along with service parking brake. Check engine light also went on. Gears would not engage. Dealership replaced transmission. At 72,000 miles (only 17,000 miles on new transmission), the same issue occurred.

- Hillsborough, NJ, USA

Dec 302016

Cherokee

I bought a brand new Cherokee trailhawk and within the first 8 months the transmission needed to be totally replaced after having significant issues with switching gear. In December 2016 I was driving to nc, with 55,800 miles on the vehicle, the power steering suddenly shut out and I wasnt able to accelerate, all while going 70mph on a major highway. I had to coast to the side of the road. I had to have it towed to the dealership, where they performed a "software upgrade" and gave it back to me. The next morning, the exact same incident occurred on my way to work, in rush hour, at a very high speed. I again had to coast to the shoulder to pull off. The dealership still hasn't returned it, over a week later, because they don't actually know how to fix it. I will never again buy a Jeep, and if I ever see my Cherokee again I will not feel safe driving it.

- Washington, PA, USA

Cherokee

Starting in January 2015 (6 months after purchase) I began having issues with the transmission working properly. When my car was stopped or driving below 5mph and I pressed the gas, the car would often times not automatically accelerate (as if it were in neutral) and after a few seconds, it would violently jerk into gear. Every time I took my car in for an oil change I would complain about it and each time the dealership waved me off and said "that's just the way 9 speed engines work", but would offer to reset the computer (which never fixed the problem). When I received the safety recall (16V529000), I was elated that the problem would finally be fixed! when I called to make the appointment and when I brought the car in, I told them it was my understanding that because I was experiencing problems with the wire harness already, it needed to be replaced, not just reprogrammed. They told me "the safety recall had been updated and we are only reprogramming them now, because there is no longer a need to replace them". I took their word for it. Driving home that same day, I experienced the same loss of motive power. I then did some research and found out that the safety recall had not been updated and it should have been replaced. I am a realtor and therefore spend a lot of time driving in my car. I bought a brand new car 2 years ago in order to guarantee a safe, reliable ride to myself, my family and especially my clients. This is frustrating beyond words.

- Albuquerque, NM, USA

Dec 282016

Cherokee

Transmission went out. The Jeep stopped moving on the freeway, it was very dangerous. The transmission has gone out multiple times on the freeway. The car will either completely die or go into neutral. I've had the S55 recall. It has always had problems; it shifts hard, sometimes doesn't shift properly, sometimes doesn't go into 9th gear, jumps a lot.

- Pearland, TX, USA

Dec 282016

Cherokee

Loss of power due to transmission faults. Requires system restart and can take several minutes to get vehicle to move.

- Santa Rosa, CA, USA

Dec 272016

Cherokee

Vehicle being considered for lemon policy. Vehicle is surging / moving / creeping when stopping at less than 2 mph. Wife will no longer drive due to safety concern. Has forced us to seek rental vehicle until Chrysler approves solution. Transmission "klunking" during 2nd to 3rd gear shift change. Recent hesitation from engine when starting in 1st gear as normal. This is new transmission and appears to be getting worse since replacement and stall issue reported during highway driving which forced veicle to side of road with no power. Dealer notified. Chrysler will not authorize rental vehicle until resolved, very dangerous situation to continue to drive.

- York, SC, USA

Dec 172016

Cherokee

The transmission light comes on and the vehicle will stop at any time. I have taken it twice to the dealership to have the computer reset and it is still happening. On the 17th of December I was on the service road of hwy 114 going East in grapevine and the transmission light came on and put itself in neutral while driving in traffic.

Dec 182016

Cherokee

After being returned to Jeep dealership (more than 6 times) and having a new transmission installed approximately two months ago, today (12/5/16) while driving the transmission went into service mode and stopped operating in the middle of a highway. The vehicle could only coast with the engine running. It had to be towed to the dealership.

- York, SC, USA

Dec 122016

Cherokee

The Jeep would hesitate when shifting into gear and then "jump" into gears. I was initially told the car is new 20,500 miles and needs to be "broken in". however, when shifting from first to second gear or second to third gear the car shifts really hard, enough that my head hits the back of the seat from whiplash. On my daily drive home in bumper to bumper traffic, when stopped and then letting off the brake and then easing back on the brake, the car will jerk forward. The dealership thought that a software update would fix the problem, it did not. I've taken it in for the same issue 3 times.

- Harlingen, TX, USA

Jan 152015

Cherokee

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. While driving various speeds, the vehicle independently shifted into the neutral position and the service transmission warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was serviced per NHTSA campaign number: 16V529000 (power train); however, the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer on several occasions. The transmission was flashed, but the failure continued. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 11,000.

- Pinta Gorda, FL, USA

Mar 032016

Cherokee

On board computer, obstructing major traffic lanes, diagnostic trouble code (dtc) defaults the transaxel to neutral and complete loss of motive power. The loss of motve motive could cause crash without power. Updated 01/17/2017

- Atlantic City, NJ, USA

Sep 222016

Cherokee

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. The contact received NHTSA campaign number: 16V529000 (power train) however, the parts to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was notified of the issue. The contact had not experi4enced a failure. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Pass Christian, MS, USA

Dec 102016

Cherokee

When driving at highway speeds or low speed on streets vehicle jerks and displays message "shift to paris then desired gear." Next message to be displayed is "service transmission." Driver has to pull over to shift to park. Vehicle transmission does not shift into gear for several minutes while check engine, and several other icons flash on instrument panel. Vehicle will then stall. After several minutes after power down vehicle, gear will engine and vehicle will run rough. Gears will not shift smoothly. Vehicle has 54,000 miles and has had gear box software flashed already once in the last 90 days.

- Sealy, TX, USA