Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2014 Jeep Cherokee shows an early trend of transmission complaints. Most of the complaints are for rough shifting — things like jerking & hesitation when shifting gears.

We are keeping an eye on things but the 2014 Cherokee doesn't look like a good model year compared to past years.

2014 Jeep Cherokee electrical problems

2014 Jeep Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 5 of 7)

Mar 272015

Cherokee 6-cyl

Vehicle suddendly stalls, check engine light came on and a message that says service transmission, press parking brake, when started the vehicle and put it in reverse a big noise was heard from under the car this happened 3 times. I dont feel safe taking my family in this car that can stall in the middle of a highway, and can cause a big accident.

- Miami Gardens, FL, USA

Jan 152015

Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. The contact received a recall notification for NHTSA campaign number: 14V643000 (electrical system, air bags, seat belts); however, the part needed to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure...updated 05/20/15 updated 7/6/2015

- Neptune, NJ, USA

Apr 052015

Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

Will not start. The odometer screen and radio screen light, when I depress the brake peddle and press the start button both screens black out and vehicle does not start. The screens light back up and radio starts playing. The only message on the odometer screen is the start sequence. Press the brake peddle and press the start button. Jeep not turning over - not trying to start.

Mar 172015

Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

70 mph on interstate hwy, suddenly emergency brake comes on. Car immediately brakes to 35 mph before car can be moved to emergency lane. Mil light is on, emergency brake light is on, transmission gear light is flashing, screen command says "park the car, service transmission and parking brake". emergency brake light on console is off. Ignition turned on and off 6-8 times, try to drive, car won't move. Cycling ignition and transmission shifter car suddenly starts working normally except for mil light. Scan revels no codes. Car runs fine for two weeks and again at 70 mph on interstate the emergency brake comes almost stopping the car in slow lane. Repeated the procedure referenced above for about 5 minutes until the car started running normally. Mil was on for 50 miles but no codes stored or freeze frame. This occurred 5 days after having recall R05 performed, rrt 14-040, and PCM update.

- Crestwood, KY, USA

Mar 282015

While driving the odometer messages started popping up and an alert chimed for each one: Acc / fcw unavailable service required; big red battery icon and low voltage message; park assist off message; radio screen went blank; small red battery icon remained lit on the odometer screen. I then selected to view the battery voltage along with my speed on the odometer screen. The voltage moved from 16 to 15 and stopped at 14V (1/2 charge) all in less than 5 seconds. I tried to make a hands-free phone call and as the phone was ringing the phone call was terminated by the vehicle.

Mar 272015

Cherokee 4WD 8-cyl

Picked vehicle up from dealer - they made sure battery was fully charged and suggested it be driven before taking home. On the interstate at 65-75 mph activated the adaptive cruise control. It shut itself off in approximately 10 seconds. Then a message on the odometer: Acc / fcw unavailable service required; message low voltage; radio screen went blank then came back on. A small red battery icon remained lit on the odometer screen.

Feb 202015

Cherokee 4-cyl

The car completely shuts down with no indication or warning while driving, steering wheel locks. Immediately after shutting down the brake (however the gear is in drive) and battery light displays. I take gear out of drive and put it in park, wait a minute or two at times right in the middle of residential street or the end of a turn but it always occur while the car is in motion. I have to crank the ignition several times while tapping down on the gas pedal until the engine starts, hit the brake release, put gear back in drive or at times neutral then back in drive in order to move. This occurrence happened a few times before repairs and about two or three times daily after transmission repairs, and software updates. When pushing down on brakes to make a stop the car will accelerate (as if it's confused whether to stop or go, although I'm pressing the brake to stop) before coming to a complete stop. When backing up or switching gears it's a forceful loud jerk between shifting gears. While driving out of the blue the windshield wipers came on (no rain) and I was not able to disable them. I pulled over on the shoulder and turned the car off waiting a moment before restarting they continued to go back and forth on a dry window they stop on their own about 20 minutes later. Speedometer blanking in and out. Car burning excessive amounts of gas. Prior to engine shut down no indication or warning messages however after repairs of transmission and software updates the engine, throttle, ABS lights, and transmission service message appear and disappear simultaneously when the car is running as expected. Tire pressure display inconsistent.

- Reisterstown, MD, USA

Mar 032015

Cherokee 6-cyl

Started backing out of parking space; stopped for vehicle passing behind; started to resume backing; numerous warning lights and tones started; such as a message to get service; transmission would not engage and move vehicle; coasted to another parking space; vehicle engine would rev when gas pedal pressed but transmission still would not engage; clunks were heard as shifter was moved to neutral, park, drive and reverse; turned off engine and waited; several minutes later everything was normal when engine was started. Had vehicle serviced at Jeep dealer. Vehicle was reprogrammed by a fca technician on 03/11/15. On 3/24/15, mileage: 13,749 the same vehicle performed similar to first event as stated in the above description. This event occurred as vehicle approached a traffic signal; moving around 20 mph. Transmission would not engage. Coasted to a safe area. Turned off switch to engine; waited, then restarted; system reset. All appeared to be normal except park sense system is inoperable; on/off switch for park sense will not resolve inoperable status. Headed to dealer again tomorrow for service. This is a serious safety issue.

- Lexington, SC, USA

Feb 062015

Cherokee 4-cyl

When shifting from park to reverse or drive, the vehicle will occasionally not shift into gear, even though the display and shift control indicates that the car is in reverse or drive. When this happens, when I release the brake and apply the gas, the car does not move. This happens about once every 10-15 times the car is shifted from park. The most serious incident happened when I was parked uphill. I shifted the car into drive, but when I pushed the accelerator pedal the car did not move forward but instead started rolling backward. I had to move the shifter into park, and again into drive before the gear would engage. Additionally, there have been times that the car will not accelerate after being stopped at an intersection. When I apply the gas, the car will hesitate for 1-2 seconds before engaging and moving forward. I am concerned that these issues will end up placing myself or my occupants in danger if an emergency situation arises while on the road, or if the transmission fails completely and I roll back into another car.

- San Francisco, CA, USA

Dec 222014

Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

While driving the vehicle the instrument panel starting running a check system cycle, ie. Transmission service needed, anti-lock brake need service, battery needed to be checked, mil was on, etc. (I have video of one occurrence) and I was no longer able to accelerate the car even though the engine was still running. The electronic parking brake was engaged and I could not disengage it. After the car slowed down I turned the engine off and on several times until I was able to accelerate the car. The mil was now on steadily. This has happened 4 times now.

- North Babylon, NY, USA

Jan 262015

Cherokee 4-cyl

This car has been nothing but trouble since 1500 miles off the lot brand new Jeep. And then at 2800 and then at 3000 miles they replaced the power control module then two more times for software update. Then at 10250 they tell me the transmission has gone and needs to be replaced. As if anything else can go wrong with this car the tires they put on from the dealership Firestone my aft right tire split on the sidewall for no reason at all the only damage on the tire was the crack on the tire. So not only is the car defective but the wheels from Firestone as well. Has anyone else experienced my horrible luck.

- Quakertown , PA, USA

Feb 132015

Electrical issues and update to 2/9/15 complaint. As requested by Jeep customer care, took 2014 Cherokee for second opinion for headlight issue. (new car, have only had 5 months). Upon leaving the dealer, multifunction / check engine warning light went off. Thankfully, close to dealership, returned 1.5 miles - ran diagnostics. Tech stated pages of error codes, no idea could be transmission, steering column, stability control, radio, ABS, anything electrical. Had to leave the car as advised unsafe to drive. 2 days later, no idea whats wrong, still at service dept. Today, tech said Jeep told them to drive car 20 miles and see if the code is gone. Informed dealer this is unacceptable for Jeep and further compromises safety of this vehicle. They need to pinpoint exactly what caused the check engine code.

- Medina, OH, USA

Feb 142014

Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

While turning at a stop light the car slipped into neutral. Check engine light came on, service transmission message on dash, parking brake light came on and also traction control light. Pulled over and restarted car still would not engage into to drive. Had to let car sit for 30 minutes then restarted and went back in to drive. Made it to dealership but slipped out of gear one more time on the 20 minute drive. The exact thing has happened 2 more times and has now been at the dealership 3 times in 2 weeks. Afraid for my safety at this point!

- Canton, MI, USA

Dec 072014

Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

On December 7th, the car (2014 Jeep Cherokee with 12,600 miles) lost power unexpectedly while I approached a stoplight, and had to be coasted to the side of the road. We waited approximately 10 minutes, and it restarted. No warning or check engine lights came on. Over the next several days, we had approximately 3 instances where the car either wouldn't start, or would lose power. Still no warning lights came on indicating an issue. As we believed this to be a potential safety issue, we took it to the local Jeep dealership and asked them to check it out. They kept it for 6 days and indicated that they could not recreate the issue. We picked the car up on Dec. 16th. On December 25 the car again lost all power while driving (lost engine, power steering, and power breaks). Fortunately this occurred on a local road and the car was able to be coasted to stop without incident. This time several indicators illuminated including the 'check engine' light. We had the car towed the next day to the same dealer. At the time of this writing, the dealership has had the car 22 days, and still have not been able to diagnose the issue. They did replace the PCM, however this did not correct the issue. I'm filing this complaint because of the potential safety issue. I also have a concern because Jeep is not able to properly diagnose the problem in a reasonable amount of time.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Aug 142014

Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

Two problems came up at around the same time. The car was delivered with the transmission 4 quarts low on fluid. The car was slipping out of gear, lurching and shuddering. The transmission is a sealed unit so there was no way for me to know that. Then the dash display went completely dark. No feedback was given, its a digital display. So I had no speedometer, tachometer etc and the warning lights were out. I feel like a vehicle with no dash display that slips out of gear when passing or lurches forward when stopping could be dangerous to other drivers and pedestrians.

- Camarillo, CA, USA

Jan 022015

Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. The contact stated that after starting the vehicle, the engine rpms increased to 6000 and all of the warning indicators illuminated. The contact shifted into park and attempted to turn off the vehicle; however, the vehicle failed to shut off. The fire department disconnected a wire underneath the hood in order to turn the vehicle off. The fire department reconnected the wire, but the failure recurred. The vehicle was towed to the dealer who diagnosed that the ignition and the communication between the ignition cap failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 12,200. Updated 03/04/15 the consumer stated after 28 days of being in the auto center the vehicle was repaired. Updated 10/8/2015

- Laguna Beach, CA, USA

Dec 232014

Cherokee 4WD 4-cyl

My wife was on her way to work for the last day before christmas and got 2 blocks from the house before calling for help. The vehicle lost power and luckily she was able to get off of the road. It was rainy both the day before and that morning also. She said there was a message that came up saying shift into park and start the car. She couldn't get it to start again. I met her and after trying, got the car going but noticed that I didn't feel any response or hear any engine revving when pushing the gas pedal down. It also seemed to start fairly rough. She took my vehicle to work. I checked the vehicle later and it started ok. The battery voltage was the normal 12.6V and 14.7V when running. At first I thought it was a fluke. The next day as the vehicle wouldn't start. We decided to wait until fri morning with christmas being thurs. The vehicle did start before the flatbed towed it off to the dealer. The dealer had the vehicle all day and was about ready for me to pick it up when they noticed a loss in pressure at the fuel pump and decided to replace it. After we got the vehicle back it ran ok for a few days but then on 1/3/2015 it cut out again about two blocks from our house in the other direction.. it was again rainy outside. She again saw the same message. I met her and got it started again but also again noticed no reaction to stepping on the gas pedal. When I shifted it into reverse it then seemed to react to giving it gas fine and drove home ok. We took it to church and around town the next day and it seemed fairly normal. Having gone through rough shifting problems with this vehicle early and two transmission problems with Chrysler Grand Voyager and then this Jeep and the articles on this site that seem to be pointing to Jeep transmissions I think Chrysler better come up with the right fix very soon before someone gets killed.

- Middletown, MD, USA

Dec 052014

Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

I was traveling on the interstate in the left lane at highway speeds when I lost my forward drive gear, my vehicle rapidly slowed causing vehicles behind me to break. My display was telling me to shut the engine off and restart the vehicle. My gear shift indicator was flashing rapidly between drive and natural. I tried to get over to the right lane then the shoulder as other vehicles avoided me. My check engine light was on and I had no ability to accelerate. I got to the shoulder, put the vehicle in park, shut off the engine and then restarted. I was then able to proceed directly to the dealer along the shoulder of the interstate without further incident. My check engine light remained on. The service manager ran a quick check and said the vehicle recorded over 20 faults at the same time which ranged from disengaging the anti lock breaks to disabling my forward drive. He said he had never seen before. He returned the vehicle to me the same evening because he did not know how to fix it, but said it was an electrical failure of some type. I contacted Jeep case # 26113535. Although they attempted to resolve the issue they ultimately closed the case because once the dealer initially cleared the faults the vehicle could not be diagnosed until it happens again. I contacted Jeep reference number 26160146 and expressed my concern that they had closed the case claiming that I had not taken the vehicle to have it diagnosed even though they had talked to the dealer who told them he could not do it. Jeep wants me to wait until it happens again. If I have to wait the until next time my vehicle looses all forward drive and ability to accelerate out of a dangerous situation there may be a fatality or major accident depending on where, traffic conditions and weather conditions it happens.there is obviously something wrong with the vehicle which Jeep is choosing to ignore..

- Lorraine, NY, USA

Nov 172014

On my way to work one morning, I was driving on a three-lane highway, going roughly 73 mph when suddenly, as I was attempting to maintain my current speed ┐consistent with traffic flow ┐my vehicle would not enable me to accelerate. During my inability to accelerate, my vehicles electrical system surged, illuminating my check engine light, traction control light, and cabin lights. As a result, in order to remain uninjured, I crossed three lanes of moderately congested traffic, and turned my vehicle off for approximately 5-7 mins. Upon starting my car, I was able to accelerate; however, both lights were lit on my dashboard. After driving 130 plus miles, I immediately drove to the dealership I purchased my vehicle from┐┐they conducted tests; resulting in a computer glitch. The dealership addressed this by clearing the transmission control module. This answer was very unsatisfactory to me as I purchased this vehicle brand new in June 2014 with less than 100 miles. Therefore, I contacted the manufacture and sought assistance. Since, I have been asked to make an appointment with 2 different dealerships, totaling 4 service visits ┐all inclusive. Over all, I am extremely upset and unsatisfied. Buying a new vehicle with transmission issues and or computer issues is not ideal or expected. Now, I am slightly paranoid every time I drive my vehicle ┐hoping I will be alive to retell both the dealership and manufacture this problem has been duplicated.

- Saint Albans, WV, USA

Dec 182014

Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

I was driving on a 4 lane highway slowing down for a light that had gone from red to green. As I accelerated to go through the light my vehicle suddenly stopped and would not move. It was dead in the water type of stop. I put on my flashers and tried to start the engine again. It would not start. I put on the brake and pressed the start button and opened the driver door. I was able to start the engine but the car would not move. After doing this twice I was able to start the car and move to the center of the highway. A police officer stopped to check on me and asked if I could move to a safer place. I was able to move the vehicle to a parking lot. The police officer made sure that I was ok and left. I then called Jeep for a tow. What I saw when this happened was the no skid light, the service transmission, and several lights on the left side of the screen. It showed the brake was on but it was not on. The engine light was on and stayed on. I have not heard anything from the dealership at this time. If I had been on a normal work day I would have been on the expressway. There is no doubt that something far more serious would have happened to me. I am not sure that I can drive this vehicle again.

- Union, KY, USA