CarComplaints.com Notes: There's no way around it, the Cherokee's transmission is junk. There's no other explanation for why a vehicle, usually with under 40,000 miles, would have so many complaints

2014 Jeep Cherokee engine problems

2014 Jeep Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 2 of 10)

Aug 172016

Cherokee

Vehicle has been serviced multiple times for transmission not shifting, shifting hard enough to lose traction, and shifting into neutral at random. Transmission is still not fixed nor functioning properly. This also triggers the stability control to malfunction and lose control on slippery surfaces. Now the four wheel drive feature is broken and not functioning as well. Dealer has had the vehicle more than 6 times in the past 8 weeks, and several times prior in the two years before. This vehicles transmission is a huge safety and loss of vehicle control issue.

- St Johns, MI, USA

Aug 202016

Cherokee

While driving about 50 mph on winding hilly country road, the vehicle suddenly jerked and all the dashboard lights lit up. The car completely shut down. This shutdown lasted for only 2-3 seconds and then restarted as if nothing ever happened. It was not necessary for the driver to do anything. There was no need to restart the vehicle it restarted on its own as the key remained in the ignition and we did not touch it.

- Binghamton, NY, USA

Jul 082016

Cherokee

Vehicle doesn't idle at stop signs or light, often the engine shuts down if brake is applied abruptly. When selecting drive from reverse the vehicle engine dies and same with turning left or right if your feet is not on the accelerator pedal. Happens both on the highway or around local streets.

- Royal Palm Beach, FL, USA

Aug 142016

Cherokee

I have had multiple instances of the transmission falling out of gear and losing all power. In order to get any acceleration I have to restart the car multiple times. At this point I will be unable to get above 5-10 mph. When shifting between gears during these instances the car will jerk violently as I shift between P R N & D. on one occasion the car accelerated in reverse when the dash shows that I was in D. in every instance this has occurred while I was driving the vehicle. Multiple times both on the freeway and on city streets. When the issue occurs my check engine, service transmission, service parking brake, and traction control lights come on. The issue is not affected by speed, turning, etc. I currently have a replacement transmission in the car and have had it into two different dealerships multiple times for this issue and am still experiencing the problem. I have taken video records of the latest instances and shown the service advisors.

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

Aug 052016

Cherokee

Purchased the 2014 Jeep Cherokee and initially had trouble with the zf 9-speed. Issues involved jerky rides in the low gears. Issues were so bad that at times the car would take 5-10 seconds to switch gears and I would be stuck in neutral in the middle of the road, almost causing several accidents. I have now taken my car to two dealerships over the past 2+ years roughly 7 times and theyve perfomed system updates that are supposed to help. They have yet to help and most recently I was involved in another near accident. I have called the Fiat Chrysler service center to put a case together. I am very frustrated with my purchase and hope that they can fix these issues. A more concerning issue was after two weeks of purchase. I was driving on the highway, going roughly 70 mph, and a warning light appeared on the dash screen and they all the screens went black and I lost the ability to accelerate. I was forced to move from the left lane to the far right and let the car come to a stop. I contacted the Jeep dealership, since it had only been 2 weeks after purchase, and they told they didnt know what was wrong and to just turn off the car and wait 5 minutes and then try again. After doing this I drove the car to the dealership and asked them for a reason to why it happened. They couldn't provide an answer and saw nothing wrong with the car. 2 years went by and this hadnt happened again, until this January. I was again on the highway and lost control of accelerating and almost was in an accident. I brought it to the dealership and they said they performed software updates. Hasnt happened again, but last time it took 2 years.

- Cardiff, CA, USA

Aug 052016

Cherokee

The transmission sticks in neutral and I have to stop the vehicle, put it in park, engage the parking brake, disengage the parking brake, and shift into drive in order to fix the issue. There are several known issues with the 9-speed transmission. There have been two recalls and still giving me problems. I took it to the shop today. I have no idea how much this is going to cost.

- Olathe, KS, USA

Jul 292016

Cherokee

When I got off work one morning, about to get on interstate but Jeep was acting funny, all the warning lights came on, so I decided to stay on service road, came to a light and stopped, mind you all the lights were blinking and then my wipers started going off, the Jeep wouldn't go then it died. I tried three times to push the start button but the Jeep didnt start until finally the 3rd time, it didn't drive well, spudders until I pulled over into a parking lot, the car warning lights were on and flashing wipers going without being on. I turned the car off and waited for about 15 minutes and it came back on still had warning lights on but not flashing and the car drove fine all the way to the dealership. This happened about 5 weeks ago they found nothing wrong. About two weeks I was backing up, then put in drive and the Jeep continue to back up, had to put in park then in drive to go forward this happen three times on that day, then on same day was driving on the interstate and going about 73 mph it was driving rough, the rpms stayed on 4 and never did idal down. Took to dealership again, nothing wrong. Then on Friday 7/29/16 same thing with all the lights and wipers going off, back to dealership, as of yesterday Tuesday still nothing wrong. I brought with 176 miles on it, never got the extra warrenty or service warrenty sorry don't the money for that, I had to pay for my own rent a car, dealership won't pay for it. I have 57000 miles on my car in two years, all hwy miles I work far from home. I want to trade but will be upside down very bad. I don't feel safe in this Jeep and will never buy another one ever, ever, ever... Jeep dealership doesn't give a rat's ass either. Not a happy camper.

- Bells, TX, USA

Apr 012014

Cherokee

Vehicle does not shift gears properly both on city streets and highway. Often slams into next gear at unexpected times or not at all. On the highway when trying to accelerate past a car there was absolutely no pick up, the car did not even go. It has even caused the car to jump forward after breaking and coming to a complete stop. This has all been happening continuously since purchasing the car. I was initially told it was a software issue but no updates have seemed to fix the issues and it just continues to get worse, I'm scared for my safety.

- Plano, TX, USA

Jul 202016

Cherokee

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. While driving various speeds, the vehicle stalled and the transmission service warning indicator illuminated on the instrument panel. The contact stated that the instrument panel suggested restarting the vehicle. The vehicle was restarted and functioned normally. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 37,000. Updated 09/27/16

- Suisun City, CA, USA

Oct 302014

Cherokee

Since getting this vehicle in Oct. 2014 we have had nothing but problems with it. The car switches gears when it shouldn't and lunges forward. Also when you slow down to stop the car lurches and shakes before coming to a complete stop. Sometimes you can feel the pedal pumping under your foot when you are moving slowly in traffic. Whenever you are going up any type of hill the engine sounds like it is going to explode. We have taken it to the dealership where we purchased it numerous times and continue to just be told that it is a known issue with 2014 Jeep Cherokee's. there is also a clicking noise by the tires whenever your make a turn. We also took it to the dealership for this and they claim they didn't notice anything. It sounds like the wheel is going to fall off! we should not have these problems with a car that has less than 20,000 miles on it! I cannot wait to get rid of this Jeep. I've had older cars in the past and had not nearly the amount of problems as I have had with this Jeep. It doesn't feel safe to drive. Jeep is well aware of this issue yet they continue to do nothing about it.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Jun 272016

Cherokee

Vehicle has stalled twice at a 30 mph rate of speed due to oil low not empty. If vehicle should fall below 2 quarts of oil, vehicle may stall and stop working properly while in motion. My vehicle hold 4-5 quarts of oil and was not due for an oilchange and stalled twice while on residential road. Dealer stated my vehicle should remian a full level of oil in order for it to not stall!!! no oil leaks or mechanical issues were found during service.

- Deptford, NJ, USA

Jun 302016

Cherokee

I have a 2014 Jeep and every time I drive the transmission slips gears, mostly if I am slowing down but it also does it when I am accelerating. I have had this problem for about 2 years now and the dealer says it nothing to worry about. I also have a problem with the air bag light it keeps coming on and off I have told the dealer about this and it has taken them months to finally listen to me. Then I find out that there is and electricall problem, honestly what else can go wrong. I mean seriously 6 recalls already and I am sure there is no need for this. To be quite honest I was told today that my car was no safe to drive sue to the electrical issue.

- Providence, RI, USA

Feb 212016

Cherokee

This vehicle's transmission slips in and out of gear without warning. This causes the car to "jerk" at any given time. It sometimes happens as I am accelerating, but also happens as I slow down so there is no definite action that is being performed to cause this problem.

- Grand Island, NY, USA

Jun 272016

Cherokee

Transmission failed while driving at about 60 mph on a highway. Lost power, lost power steering. Could barely steer car to the side of the road. Turned off, waited, restarted and it ran fine. Service transmission light came on for a while, then went off after about 50 miles. This happened for the second time on June 27, 2016. After the first time several months ago we took the vehicle to the dealership for a software update, this is really dangerous. Losing power and power steering while traveling down a highway at 60 mph could result in an accident if it happened in traffic. Luckily for us, traffic was light so we we able to get off the road on both times this has happened. Must be a software defect, as the engine is running fine.

- Hyde Park, UT, USA

Jun 282016

Cherokee

This car is an accident waiting to happen! the transmission (I-4 specifically for me) buckles and lunges in gears 1-3. it gets stuck in gear, it goes into 2 gears at the same time. It has gotten stuck on the acceleration. I am terrified to drive this car in traffic, or anywhere I need to go slowly since it does not always respond when I brake or give it gas. I wouldn't put my worst enemy in this car! the transmission problems started on say 1 with 100 miles on the car, and have kept going for the past 2.5 years. I have had a transmission replacement and that did not help.

- West Caldwell, NJ, USA

Apr 152015

Cherokee

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. While driving 25 mph, the accelerator pedal was depressed, but the vehicle hesitated and jerked before moving forward. In addition, the vehicle failed to start. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the engine needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired; however, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jun 152016

Cherokee

Numerous computer/electrical intermittent issues with vehicle. Most recent episode the care would completely shut down at freeway speeds. No engine, no lighting, as if it was hit with an electromagnetic pulse. This unfortunately locks the steering as well. The key fob is non responsive. After 5-7 minutes (if you happen to not get hit and die), the car comes back to life (interior lights come back and after another minute will start). Also have had "service air bag indicator system", "service parking brake", "service transmission", "4WD system unavailable", check engine light, traction control light, battery light, parking brake amber service light, flashing odometer, flashing D in dash. Dash completely goes blank intermittently as well. Transmission has also been stuck in neutral numerous time (can not turn car off unless in park, cannot shift). Numerous trips to dealer for warranty service. This last time they found a ground connection loose in the driver side kick panel. So if that ground comes loose or frayed, the car can just kill me?

- Oceanside, CA, USA

Jun 062016

Cherokee

We purchased our 2014 Jeep Cherokee in December 2014 (new). We noticed immediately the transmission was jerking, and when coming to a stop the vehicle would surge forward. The dealership said the vehicle had to get use to our driving. We continued to have problems with the transmission and took the vehicle to the dealership. After four trips to the dealership, and being told they could not re-create the problem the service tech was able to re-create, however we were told there was nothing the dealership could do, and we would have to drive the vehicle until it broke down. In April 2016, the transmission was replaced. Immediately, we begin having the same jerking, lurching and surging. Now we have been told, we need to have another transmission put in the vehicle. This vehicle only has 23,500 miles on it, and this is the second transmission. I have filed a complaint with Jeep, and gone through arbitration, however Jeep doesn't feel the need to stand by their product. This is the eleventh Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge product we have purchased, and it will be the last.

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

May 222016

Cherokee

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. While driving approximately 5 mph, the contact heard an unusual noise underneath the hood. The vehicle immediately accelerated and crashed into a parked vehicle, causing extensive damage to both vehicles. There were no warning indicators illuminated. The air bags did not deploy. A police report was filed. The contact sustained a minor injury that did not require medical attention. The vehicle was towed to a dealer. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and an investigation was ordered. The failure mileage was 13,000. Updated 08/31/16

- Sterling Heights, MI, USA

May 192016

Cherokee

The Jeep continues to stall with no warning in traffic, causing a serious risk of collision. The vehicle has also experience unwanted and automatic acceleration, also causing a serious risk of injury. A leaky break line was just replaced. The vehicle only has 27,000

- Austin, TX, USA