CarComplaints.com Notes: There's no way around it, the Cherokee's transmission is junk. There's no other explanation for why a vehicle, usually with under 40,000 miles, would have so many complaints

2014 Jeep Cherokee engine problems

2014 Jeep Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 3 of 10)

May 262016

Cherokee

Please read...traveling on interstate 75 N / approximate speed 65 - 75 mph / vehicle "turned off, went dead" / coasted through two lanes to get to an emergency side spot! it truly is a miracle that we were not ran over!!! contacted a wrecker service and having to wait 1 1/2hrs on the side of a busy interstate, our vehicle was lifted and taken to a dealership / the wrecker driver wasn't able to get vehicle started or out of gear until he accessed help via his phone, which allowed him to move gear but still didn't crank / next day, a rep from the dealership called and said the vehicle started up and the issue mentioned above could not be replicated"?? a strange report was given that there seem to be grease from an unknown source that was seen under the vehicle and perhaps that caused the problem??" we picked the vehicle up and made it home (70 mi) / this is extremely worrisome, not to mention, of course it could be deadly! please help.

- Buford, GA, USA

May 142016

Cherokee

The primary safety concern is the rough and erratic shifting between gears. The sluggish and unreliable acceleration and the sudden downshifts are troublesome. I've now been told that I need a new transmission at 12,000 miles.

- Denver, CO, USA

May 042016

Cherokee

After only 21000 miles and regular maintenance at the dealership, my check engine light came on. The dealer would not book me a service appointment any sooner than one week out. Two days after the check engine light illuminated, as I was driving on a city street to work, a "service transmission" warning appeared and the vehicle immediately became unresponsive. Even switching to tiptronic and no matter how much the gas pedal was depressed, I was not able to accelerate nor have the engine RPM move beyond 1000 RPM. I was lucky that I chose not to take the highway to work or I would have been rear-ended with the car slowing down so much.

- Tigard, OR, USA

Apr 222016

Cherokee

Continuously having issues with the vehicle, related to acceleration while driving in traffic, car shutting off in traffic, not starting back up right away, gears shifting roughly while - is an automatic 9 speed 4 cylinder vehicle. I have been offered a 5% discount on a Jeep trade in by the Jeep resolution department, but at this point, not sure if its worth buying another Jeep. I am afraid of this happening again. Unfortunately, the mechanics, cant find what wrong with the vehicle, and they also test drove the car, driving around the dealership, on side streets, but not in traffic, or stop and go traffic. I am frustrated at this point, jepp knows these are issues with many of there engines, and fail to truly hear the customers complaints, to the point of taking these complaints more seriously. The resolution offered are not good enough to fix the issue, as I feel I would trade this vehicle in and they will turn around and sell it again.... not safe at all. ! I need help, as I don't know what to do next, take the offer or just trade in with a different dealer and car type/model nothing Chrysler/Jeep related uuuggghhhh!

- Summit, IL, USA

Mar 192016

Cherokee

Vehicle misfires. Dealership has had it since March 19th and has replaced 3 heads. Still no resolution. Have contacted Chrysler for help and have a case manager but not really helpful. I would like the engine replaced but Chrysler says it costs too much. I feel it is unsafe to rework the heads so many times.

- Addison Twp, MI, USA

Apr 142016

Cherokee

2014 Jeep Cherokee bought in December 2014 500miles. Shortly after purchase, car shifting erratically, lunging forward at stops, and not accelerating when stepping on gas appropriately. On the way to work one day, car bogged down in traffic, turned off, would not turn back on for over 30 minutes, trying to start all lights and check engine warnings were going haywire. Car finally started, got to work, but car did not start up again after my shift, had to have car towed to dealer. They did updates and computer resets, picked up vehicle, only for vehicle to shut down on the lot, they took it back in, and kept it over night. They felt they fixed the problem, but again on the way to work, car still shifting dangerously, lunging forward, and has shut down again. Even while in a drive thru, car lunged forward almost hitting another car in front of me. Car taken back into dealer, again they completed a ton of recalls, and updates, some repeated form the last few times, I took the car in. The car has been in the shop 5-6 times now, with 2 claims escalated to Jeep/Chrysler. I am pregnant, and with the car shutting down in the middle of traffic is extremely, lunging forward, shifting erratically, and bogging down while on highway has only brought fear to my safety, the safety of my pregnancy, and the safety of others driving around me, as I hope this can be fixed before something horrible happens. I have requested to claims that the car be replaced, or be issued a buy back, safety is my main concern ! this vehicle is no good< and should not be driven or resold !

- Summit, IL, USA

Apr 152016

Cherokee

The vehicle has stalled at slow speeds several times over the last few weeks while making slow speed turns or coming to a stop. The vehicle will not re-start for several minutes and only after several attempts. The dealer has investigated the problem but cannot duplicate the problem. It is definitely a safety concern as the ehicle is stranded in the road.

- Jefferson, WI, USA

Feb 222016

Cherokee

Have not had an issue yet, but am concerned there may be. I've had problems with the shifting/stalling/engine hesitation/transmission issues of my car since I purchased it on 2/19/16, with only 15,300 (approx) miles on it. Does fine on the highway, but all kinds of problems in town. The dealership is telling me there is nothing that can be done until Chrysler Corp finishes the computer update to repair all this. Wanted this safety issue out there, in case something does happen. Very frustrating!

- Deer Park, WA, USA

Feb 292016

Cherokee

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. The contacted stated while at a stop sign, the vehicle suddenly stalled. The contact had to put the vehicle in park in order to restart the vehicle. The failure occurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the oil change was not performed at a 1,000 miles. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was $33,000. The VIN was not available. Updated 05/18/16

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Apr 042016

Cherokee

Bought this at steve jones Jeep in owensboro ky in may of 2014. I took it back to them 4 times complaining about transmission shifting erratically. This is a similar complaint that I have read over and over about on this site and other forums. Jeeps response is to do an other software download. They did 2-3 software reloads but said it was running normal and there was nothing they could do. I have learned to deal with it for last 1.5 years. It has days where it shifts really rough other days it is great. My friends joke with me whether my car is having a good or bad day, seriously! sounds funny but it has been really aggravating. Every once in a while it stalls when coming to a stop at stop signs/lights, or when taking off. To restart have to remove key and then it usually restarts fine. This morning it seemed to be running fine, I pulled out of subdivision and it stalled in middle of road. I tried restarting and it wouldn't, could hear fuel pump up and engine turned over then starter disengaged. During this I was nearly hit by a on coming car. I push if to side of road. After 8th or 9th try it finally started. It had a red warning "service transmission" and engine light on. It stalled several more times after putting in gear. It felt like it was stuck in 3rd gear. I shut it off for 10 minutes then restarted it and warnings were gone and it drove normal to work. Coming home it also stalled once while leaving work. Today was the first time this has happened that it nearly caused a major accident. I really fear this problem will end up in my death, I will end up killed in an accident because of a software glitch. I made another appointment foe this Saturday at dealer but I already know what the out come will be. They will reload the software and there will be no change. I can not afford to buy another vehicle but after this morning I feel I have to do something.

- Spanish Fort, AL, USA

Apr 012016

Cherokee

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. The contact noticed a burning odor under the hood and, within seconds, the engine caught fire. There were no injuries. The fire department extinguished the fire and stated that it initiated at the transmission area. The vehicle was towed for further inspection. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 30,000...updated 05/17/16

- Macclenny, FL, USA

Mar 222016

Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

My Jeep Cherokee 2014 has 21181 mileage and the check engine light came on.I notice that the car was shifting into gear hard and at times would not accelerate when getting on the freeway. So my husband took it to get the oil changed at the dealership where we bought the Jeep and they said everything looked good. Well when my husband left all the dummy lights came on he turned right around and went back to the dealership, the service manager came out and said the tech put the wrong oil filter on and that they would have to redo the oil change. On a month later the check engine light comes on so we call the dealership and ask if maybe them putting the wrong filter on that I would cause the check engine light to come on.the service manager said no that we would have to take it to Jeep. It is still under warranty because it is under the mileage.but I looked on the complaint forum and seen many people having the same problem some having a hard time getting Chrysler to help them. And almost all of them having the transmission replaced. I find that to be very disturbing considering I have only had the car for 8 months. I feel that the car should be replaced this is a dangerous situation that could cost lives. Thank you.Tacoma

- Tacoma, WA, USA

Sep 012014

Cherokee

My car will shift hard in reverse, sometimes into drive, and also from 1st gear into 2nd gear. Also, when turning, and trying to accelerate, I notice the car feels like it is in slow motion and does not accelerate, even if I am stepping hard on the pedal. I have also noticed that the car will not shift into higher gears when climbing in elevation. Many times I have been driving up in elevation, and will be stuck in 4th gear unable to shift to a higher gear. The problem all seems to revolve around this new 9 speed transmission. I have taken to the dealership, and they have checked the computer to find nothing. I am updated on all of my recalls. I was told next time, "I should buy a V6" by the dealership.

- Glendale, AZ, USA

Feb 292016

Cherokee

While driving engine shut off without warning, speed goes to 0mph, low battery warning pop up and want me to shift to P and desired gear. Turned it off and on nothing happens. Try it few times and nothing. Waited for 3-5 min turned it on, and it runs normal with engine light on. After about 100ft it stall again. Try the process before and it goes normal again. Car stalled twice a day. First stall happened few days ago. Vehicle was in motion on a city street.

- Carolina, PR, USA

Jan 292016

Cherokee

On 2 seperate occasions in the past month, vehicle is driving straight on the highway just fine when the vehicle unexpectedly loses power (does not stall, simply will not maintain speed, until vehicle finally coasts to a stop as the momentum fades). Transmission light & other lights illuminate, finally the service engine light remains lit. After a prolonged resting of the vehicle (typically 15 minutes or more) the vehicle then becomes able to move again, but must accelerate very slowly at first. Eventually vehicle can resume normal speed. Very dangerous as vehicle loses ability to move during crowded rush hour traffic!

- Holtsville, NY, USA

Feb 082016

Cherokee

Vehicle stalls sometimes around 20mph. Stalls when foot is left off the gas.

- Naperville, IL, USA

Jan 312016

Cherokee

Transmission failure while driving. Car failed to accelerate while on a city street, transmission and parking light came on. When car was able to be re-started, loud "clunk" sound occurred when gears shifted. Car had to be towed to dealership. Fear for safety of me and my two children to drive car and have transmission fail and car stall while on the road. After researching and reading similar incidents that have occurred to countless others over a two year period, it is appalling that nothing has been done to warn customers of the deadly dangers of this car or that a recall or buyout has not happened. Many of us are now stuck with these dangerous vehicles with no recourse as of yet.

- Clermont, FL, USA

Jan 222016

Cherokee

Drive about 37689 miles. Inserted key to run, nothing happened, turned it off, turned it back to run, it power up but engine light pop out, transmission failure, tcm internal failure code P1634. Turned it off, waited for half hour, turned it on, power run normal with a lot of noise, engine light still on. Shift it to drive and it goes backward, then shift it to park, cranking noise under the car. Messaged transmission service, park brake service and ESC disabled/off. Turned it off again. Waited for few minutes turned it on, engine light still on, shift it drive, push the pedal (gas) doesn't go, about 3 seconds later it drive normally. Every time shift to drive have to wait few sec to go.

- Carolina, PR, USA

Jan 202015

Cherokee

While driving the vehicle, the vehicle all of a sudden shut off. The "service transmission" light came on. After sending the truck to the dealership, two days later I experienced the same issue. The truck shut off when I was turning into the intersection while taking my kids to school. Same message appeared on the dash. I've read online that many Jeep Cherokee owners are experiencing the same issue. My vehicle was purchased brand new in 2014, 37,688 miles. The vehicle is still in the shop, but I am honestly afraid to drive it again because it is very dangerous to drive a vehicle and to have it just shut off all of a sudden due to a faulty transmission by the manufacturer.

- Laveen, AZ, USA

Jan 172016

Cherokee

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. While driving approximately 40 mph, the vehicle stalled. As a result, another vehicle crashed into the rear of the contact's vehicle. There were no injuries and a police report was filed. The vehicle was towed to the dealer. The mechanic was unable to locate or duplicate the failure. The vehicle was currently being repaired for the rear end damage. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unavailable. Updated 03/09/16

- Bainbridge Island, WA, USA