CarComplaints.com Notes: There's no way around it, the Cherokee's transmission is junk. There's no other explanation for why a vehicle, usually with under 40,000 miles, would have so many complaints

2014 Jeep Cherokee engine problems

2014 Jeep Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 7 of 10)

Mar 212015

Cherokee

After a complete stop at a stop sign, "service transmission" message appeared on the speedometer, check engine light turned on, car was beeping all over the place, and could not accelerate after stepping on the gas pedal 3 times. I had to turn off the car and restart the car on the spot. After restarting the car, engine light stayed on and I was able to drive home. Prior to this incident the check engine light has been on and off for about a few months since I purchased the vehicle on November of 2013. Seems like other Jeep Cherokee owners are also experiencing similar problems if not more serious and fatal. Several complaints found on this forum (www.aboutautomobile.com/complaint/2014/Jeep/Cherokee/power+train) regarding the issue reported that their vehicles lost power on the highway. Other even had trouble with their gears. Also the car would accelerate a little more even the driver had let go of the gas. This is definitely a serious problem and needs to be addressed and investigated immediately before someone gets hurt or even killed.

- Rowland Heights, CA, USA

Mar 032015

Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

While vehicle is in drive, the transmission will not engage or will lose significant power, especially on an upslope. In order to get the car into gear, you need to gun the engine, causing a jerking of the vehicle. In order to get up a hill, you must speed (breaking the law) so that the engine has enough to get the transmission in the proper gear. The cause is due to a software update by the dealer that apparently cannot be rectified, and the safety of the vehicle is seriously in question by the drivers of this vehicle.

- Orinda , CA, USA

Mar 112015

Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

My vehicle has been giving lots of trouble since I purchased it. It decides to shutdown by itself when it wants to. It has put me in several scary situations. Uselly I am on the hwy in the left lane and it decides to shut down. Giving me only about 45 seconds to get over. The emergency brake warning lights along with traction, battery, transmission, engine the car doesn't know what to do. It has been back to the dealer for 3 computer updates.in addition..... the second to the last time they put in a brake switch. Now they have my car. Putting in some kind of tcm box. The car also hesitates. Blinker goes on by itself decides to accelerate on its own etc. I do not believe my car will be fixed. It has been happening since early December I have a lemon. It is a very dangerous car. I have made a total of 5 payments on this car.

- Heath , MA, USA

Mar 082015

Cherokee

Problem: Driving down I79 clunk sound "D" on shifter starts blinking service transmission message appears service parking brake appears mil check engine light comes on ESC indicator light comes on *pulled off to the side of the interstate turned car off, then back on repeated 4 times drove to a safe location called roadside assistance had car towed to dealership this is the second time this car has had a transmission failure on the interstate at 70 mph. I am now scared of this car. This is unacceptable and disappointing for a new $34,000 vehicle with 15,601 miles on it. First time this happened and was serious enough to complain about was Dec. 14, 2014.

- Fairmont, WV, USA

Nov 062014

Cherokee 4-cyl

Car makes a whistling very loud whistling noise upon startup and continues for up to 5 minutes, evening last while driving. I have taken the car to the dealership 3 times for this issue, was told the first times that it was the bearings? (they were replaced). Noise still occurring, took it back to the dealership and they replaced the pulleys, noise still heard. Next, I was told the water pump was causing the noise, it was replaced but noise still occurring. Now, I am told the noise is coming from the alternator and they will replace that part. I am concerned about the true source of the noise and whether or not it will have a major affect on the engine later on.

- Clawson, MI, USA

Feb 152015

Cherokee

I was driving on the freeway when the car started decelerating rapidly, the "park" icon came on and the message center said "unable to shift gears while in park, check transmission" and the engine light came on. I was unable to accelerate. Thankfully, I was able to pull over to the shoulder but the car would not shift gears. I turned the car off and immediately turned it back on and the car was still unable to shift gears, I could feel the car trying to shift gears but couldn't. engine light and unable to shift gears/check transmission message still appearing. I turned off the car a second time and waited a minute or two and turned the car back on. At that point, I was able to shift gears and accelerate again, however, the "check engine" light would not go off.

- Clawson, MI, USA

Feb 062015

Cherokee 4-cyl

When shifting from park to reverse or drive, the vehicle will occasionally not shift into gear, even though the display and shift control indicates that the car is in reverse or drive. When this happens, when I release the brake and apply the gas, the car does not move. This happens about once every 10-15 times the car is shifted from park. The most serious incident happened when I was parked uphill. I shifted the car into drive, but when I pushed the accelerator pedal the car did not move forward but instead started rolling backward. I had to move the shifter into park, and again into drive before the gear would engage. Additionally, there have been times that the car will not accelerate after being stopped at an intersection. When I apply the gas, the car will hesitate for 1-2 seconds before engaging and moving forward. I am concerned that these issues will end up placing myself or my occupants in danger if an emergency situation arises while on the road, or if the transmission fails completely and I roll back into another car.

- San Francisco, CA, USA

Nov 112014

Cherokee

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the vehicle decelerated as the check engine warning indicator illuminated. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the transmission failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was no repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 5,400.

- Ward Cove, AK, USA

Dec 222014

Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

While driving the vehicle the instrument panel starting running a check system cycle, ie. Transmission service needed, anti-lock brake need service, battery needed to be checked, mil was on, etc. (I have video of one occurrence) and I was no longer able to accelerate the car even though the engine was still running. The electronic parking brake was engaged and I could not disengage it. After the car slowed down I turned the engine off and on several times until I was able to accelerate the car. The mil was now on steadily. This has happened 4 times now.

- North Babylon, NY, USA

Feb 122015

Cherokee

Just entering the highway doing the speed limit of 70 mph with my newborn child all of a sudden my car suddenly stalled / shook/ and halted while trying to find a safe place to pull over on the higher way. The service transmission light came on. This is a huge safety concern that I had to somehow find a way to pull over on the side of a major highway with an infant in the car while my car was stalling out.

- Naples, FL, USA

Oct 072014

Cherokee 4WD 4-cyl

2014 Jeep Cherokee. Consumer writes in regards to transmission problems. The consumer stated on October 7, 2014 as she pulled out onto the highway, the vehicle stalled. She managed to drift to the side of the road. She let the vehicle sit for a minute and then re-started it. She bean to drive and the vehicle began to buck and lost power. She pulled over for a second time and let it sit for a minute, attempted to re-start it which was successful, but she couldn't go over 25 mph. She drove to the dealer. The dealer kept the vehicle for a week. A diagnostic test revealed a problem with the transmission. One month later, as she was pulling out onto the main road, the vehicle lost power again. She managed to get the vehicle to the dealer. A diagnostics test revealed the vehicle shut off, due to low oil. The consumer claimed the vehicle wasn't scheduled for an oil changed for another 1,000 miles. The dealer advised the consumer to bring the vehicle back within 3,000 to see if the vehicle was burning oil.

- Monroeville, PA, USA

Dec 232014

Cherokee 4WD 4-cyl

My wife was on her way to work for the last day before christmas and got 2 blocks from the house before calling for help. The vehicle lost power and luckily she was able to get off of the road. It was rainy both the day before and that morning also. She said there was a message that came up saying shift into park and start the car. She couldn't get it to start again. I met her and after trying, got the car going but noticed that I didn't feel any response or hear any engine revving when pushing the gas pedal down. It also seemed to start fairly rough. She took my vehicle to work. I checked the vehicle later and it started ok. The battery voltage was the normal 12.6V and 14.7V when running. At first I thought it was a fluke. The next day as the vehicle wouldn't start. We decided to wait until fri morning with christmas being thurs. The vehicle did start before the flatbed towed it off to the dealer. The dealer had the vehicle all day and was about ready for me to pick it up when they noticed a loss in pressure at the fuel pump and decided to replace it. After we got the vehicle back it ran ok for a few days but then on 1/3/2015 it cut out again about two blocks from our house in the other direction.. it was again rainy outside. She again saw the same message. I met her and got it started again but also again noticed no reaction to stepping on the gas pedal. When I shifted it into reverse it then seemed to react to giving it gas fine and drove home ok. We took it to church and around town the next day and it seemed fairly normal. Having gone through rough shifting problems with this vehicle early and two transmission problems with Chrysler Grand Voyager and then this Jeep and the articles on this site that seem to be pointing to Jeep transmissions I think Chrysler better come up with the right fix very soon before someone gets killed.

- Middletown, MD, USA

Mar 062014

Cherokee

Vehicle has been taken to dealer for same issue 4 times. The information reflected indicates the first time that we brought the care in. Initially we took the care in because vehicle was shifting roughly and would sometimes delay before engaging gear when pressing accelerator. After vehicle reprogrammed and returned to customer it was being driven on freeway at normal speeds when the check transmission light came on, told driver to pull over and the vehicle lost ability to accelerate. Vehicle coasted to side of freeway and was towed to dealer who attempted to fix vehicle. Vehicle returned to customer, a short time later vehicle had same issue on freeway. Again towed to dealer who again attempted to repair vehicle and replaced transmission. A couple of months later while driving on the freeway again vehicle exhibited same exact behavior. Was towed to dealer awaiting resolution of issue. This problem represents a significant safety hazard. Review of similar incidents on this website as well as other websites indicates this is a widespread problem that tends to occur at high rates of speed when a complete loss of vehicle power is dangerous to both those driving the affected vehicle and those on the road.

- Niantic , CT, USA

Nov 172014

Cherokee

On my way to work one morning, I was driving on a three-lane highway, going roughly 73 mph when suddenly, as I was attempting to maintain my current speed ┐consistent with traffic flow ┐my vehicle would not enable me to accelerate. During my inability to accelerate, my vehicles electrical system surged, illuminating my check engine light, traction control light, and cabin lights. As a result, in order to remain uninjured, I crossed three lanes of moderately congested traffic, and turned my vehicle off for approximately 5-7 mins. Upon starting my car, I was able to accelerate; however, both lights were lit on my dashboard. After driving 130 plus miles, I immediately drove to the dealership I purchased my vehicle from┐┐they conducted tests; resulting in a computer glitch. The dealership addressed this by clearing the transmission control module. This answer was very unsatisfactory to me as I purchased this vehicle brand new in June 2014 with less than 100 miles. Therefore, I contacted the manufacture and sought assistance. Since, I have been asked to make an appointment with 2 different dealerships, totaling 4 service visits ┐all inclusive. Over all, I am extremely upset and unsatisfied. Buying a new vehicle with transmission issues and or computer issues is not ideal or expected. Now, I am slightly paranoid every time I drive my vehicle ┐hoping I will be alive to retell both the dealership and manufacture this problem has been duplicated.

- Saint Albans, WV, USA

Dec 102014

Cherokee

I was traveling on the freeway during rush hour traffic in the left lane, traffic was stop and go. Traffic slowed down, once traffic started moving again I stepped on the gas but the car would not accelerate, it would not respond at all. I looked at the dash board and a service transmission message appeared on the screen. I also had a (P)! light on but the parking brake was not on. I tried turning the car off and turning it back on and the car jerked very strongly because I was in traffic I thought someone had hit me but it was my car that had shaken very violently. I put it in neutral it roll just a bit and then would not move the car would not move at all. Chp had to tow me off the freeway. After a day at the dealer, we were told it was a bad connection between the computer and the transmission and that the car was now fixed. I was lucky no one hit me while I was stuck in the middle of the freeway and that my kids were not in the car. I drive on the freeway all the time, the car is less than a year old and I am very afraid to drive this car. After reading other similar cases I feel this is a major safety issue with this type of car and that someone (ntsb) should review transmission issues with these cars further.

- La Mirada, CA, USA

Dec 112014

Cherokee

While driving down the interstate at 70 mph the electronic transmission disengaged and the vehicle started decelerating to a stop.. luckily the traffic was light and I was able to pull off to the shoulder before coming to a stop. The vehicle did not roll, it started slowing as if braking., I was lucky to not be rear ended, there was no for warning and probably no brake lights. I feel the vehicle is unsafe to drive and want to know why it just shut down at 70 miles per hour, it may have resulted in a serious accident if the traffic hadn't been so light. Articles on the internet indicate the launch of the vehicle was delayed by transmission faults. I believe it was put into production faulty. Please investigate.

- Knoxville, TN, USA

Dec 032014

Cherokee 6-cyl

Again, I just got back the car from the dealership at around 4pm (12/3). The work order says that they have changed/replaced the adaption part of the car to re-learn to drive. So, I drove it home. Around 510pm, in the middle of the rain the car stopped again. Luckily again, that im not in the freeway.the same thing, the car stopped and the dashboard gave me a message to shift gear and the car started to shake/jitter. I called the tow truck and they towed it again to the glendale dealership. This is the 4th time that it happen, with the same problem. I am risking my life and my family's life. Please help!

- Monterey Park, CA, USA

Nov 252014

Cherokee

This is the 3rd time it happened. My previous ODI # 16038484. While driving out of the parking lot the car just stopped and the car screen has a message to shift the gear. I did that and the car shakes/jitter. The parking attendant helped me to push the car on the side.

- Monterey Park, CA, USA

Oct 302014

Cherokee 4-cyl

While driving, when I take my foot off the gas pedal in order to coast, the car will accelerate. While driving, when I take my foot off the gas and begin to brake, my car will accelerate. This has been happening since I purchased the vehicle on Oct 30, 2014. It was a minimal occurrence and would come and go, but now it occurs every single time I drive the car. This daily issue where my vehicle accelerates when it should not has been going on since approximately mid-late November 2014.

- Johns Island, SC, USA

Nov 132014

Cherokee 4-cyl

Second incident for this car. First incident was 10.18.14. I was parking car at a restaurant. While edging near ending point of parking space, park sense suddenly disabled and would not enable. Immediately therefore, a series of icons appeared on the dashboard in this order: 1) red lightening bolt for the etc, 2) front end collision light like I had a wreck, 3) engine light, 4) traction light. The power steering appeared very stiff. Car was still running. Drove car out of parking space and it would not accelerate; it moved at a very slow pace like it was stuck in molasses or quick sand. Placed car in park and turned off ignition. While shifting from D to P, the shift was so violent it shook the entire car and I could hear grinding. Let car rest for 60-90 seconds. Turned car back on and only the engine light remained lit. Power steering was not stiff. Drove car to dealership the next morning.

- Broken Arrow, OK, USA