CarComplaints.com Notes: There's no way around it, the Cherokee's transmission is junk. There's no other explanation for why a vehicle, usually with under 40,000 miles, would have so many complaints

2014 Jeep Cherokee engine problems

2014 Jeep Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 3 of 4)

Feb 072014

Cherokee

The first time it happened was when I was merging onto a highway and the car locked. The steering wheel locked, the breaks locked, and multiple different malfunction lights came on including the engine light and my car saying to check the transmission. I turned the car off and back on, and no lights were on so I drove it to the next exit to get off the highway. As I was trying to get into a parking lot in 5 O'clock traffic, the car accelerated on its own then locked up again. I ended up having to get a new transmission owning the car for less than a month. Since then the car has had random moments of accelerating on its own and when I have reported it to Jeep arlington they would say nothing was wrong with my car. Since then, my car has had 3 other separate occasions where it has locked up and/or accelerated on its own and having to get it towed to Jeep; all reportedly by Jeep having to do with my transmission. One of those times occurred again on a busy state road during 5 O'clock traffic and an officer had to stay behind me until a tow company came.

- Tallahassee, FL, USA

Sep 012015

Cherokee

1st incident- 9/1/15- driving in interstate traffic when w/O warning Jeep lost power, immediately slowed as if it dropped gears and went into neutral, "service parking brake" message flashed and said to put in park/turn car off/restart. Other emergency warnings appeared: Check engine, stability traction, service transmission. Jeep had no power and was hard to steer. I was in far lane and able to coast to shoulder. Turned car off/on. Said "service transmission". tried to drive but parking brake was still locked. Had towed to Dodge service dept. 9/3 diagnosis- "code U042 error causing service parking brake message and transmission to go limp". told it was reprogrammed and problem fixed. 2nd incident- 9/4- driving on country road in school traffic when same exact problem occurred.there was no where to coast/pull over. Turned car off/on. Service transmission warning light was on but attempted to drive to move car out of traffic. Shut down 5 more times w/ loud clunks as if transmission was going to drop out before able to safely park. Nearly caused school bus accident! had towed to Dodge. Star case opened. In service dept for 14 days. Replaced "body control module" but couldn't get it reconfigured and had to "write" into Dodge to find out how to fix it. 9/17 diagnosis- "internal BCM failure caused active U0140- lost communication w/ BCM dtc in electric park brake module; test confirmed BCM failed causing false activation of park brake. I expressed concern of recurrence and my safety based on history of complaints but was assured it was fixed. 3rd incident- 9/21 in rush hour traffic again! how many times do I have to risk my family's lives before they recall/replace this death trap! Jeep still in service dept and they have now ordered a valve body, transmission range sensor, transmission fluid and electric parking brake control module. Please help before someone is killed!

- Denham Springs, LA, USA

Oct 012014

Cherokee

On numerous occasions when slowing down bu not a complete stop, Jeep does not downshift lower than 3rd gear unless. On several occasions Jeep inches forward at a slow rate and suddenly when accelerator is depressed further it shifts hard and accelerates rapidly. Safety is in jeopardy when pulling into traffic on right turns. Unless vehicle is at a complete stop it will not downshift lower than 3rd gear. This results in less power when pulling into traffic. Jeep has updated software 3 times. Condition has not changed.

- Mcdonough, GA, USA

Jun 042015

Cherokee

Took vehicle in for 30000 mile check up. Reported transmission shifting problems. Manufacturer replaced transmission. Drove the car for two weeks. Shifting problems still occur, cannot take highway on ramps faster than 45 mph. Returned car to dealership. Dealership reports that this is standard shifting and performance for Jeep and not a safety concern. Dealership returned vehicle with no service performed. Still hard shifts, lagging, rattling and automatically shifting into neutral.

- Reno, NV, USA

Jun 112015

Cherokee

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. While attempting to accelerate from a complete stop, there was a sudden increase in engine rpms; however, the vehicle would not accelerate properly. The contact continued to depress the accelerator pedal and the vehicle began to drive normally. The failure recurred on several occasions. While reversing out of the driveway, the vehicle came to an abrupt stop and the parking brake warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was towed to the dealer and was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 5,600.

- Chandler, AZ, USA

Jun 212015

Cherokee

While in motion, the car stalled. The car would not then shift to any gear. After continuously trying to shift gears, the car would jump from park to drive. Literally jump. I had to drive home (a few blocks) with my hazards on praying all the way. I called huntington beach Jeep first thing in the morning. They towed the car to the service dept. I was told the transmission would be fixed. I tried to upgrade out of the shotty Cherokee to a Grand Cherokee for safety reasons but the dealer would not forgive the negative equity in the car as we've had it for a year. He insisted we put more money down and have a car payment of $600-700 dollars. We refused. We feel Jeep does not care about the safety but only the number of cars they sell each month which is a same. Thank god we didn't have a car accident as they my family would be planning a funeral. Maybe that is what it will take.

- Carson, CA, USA

May 222015

Cherokee

Stopped at stop sign, engine RPM's increased on it's own, car lurched forward on it's own. Later at stop when attempting to go forward there was no response in the pedal. Then car suddenly lurched forward, spinning tires. Potential for serious accident occurred 2 times that day and next day. Dealer checked codes and no codes showed any problems. Was told others had reported the same problem to dealer on both the Jeep Cherokee and the Chrysler 200.

- Gap, PA, USA

Feb 032015

Cherokee

2014 Jeep Cherokee.on thruway passed tractor trailer and moved into right lane digital reads 0. message display something about not being able to shift while in motion. Shifter 'd" still lit red. Pulled over to a stop. Had to shut off and restart. June 2 on thruway in left lane. Digital reads 0. same message as above plus '4WD is unavailable' shifter 'd" is still lit and 4WD is in "auto". just 2 hours ago pulling into my driveway. Digital reads 0. same two messages. Now shifter "D" is flashing 4WD lit in "auto". first 2 times they tell me they can't find problem. No codes they say and can't duplicate when they drive it around the block.can't wait to hear what they say tomorrow. Car has needed 5/6 updates since I brought it home March 2014.one of the updates was after the first incident. Something called a 'snap ring'.I just had it in for oil change a month before.I also had an oils change a month before the second incident. They said no updates that day but it needed 4 when I brought it in after last weeks incident.all 3 times the electrical was still on.nice to know I can die in a firey crash but still listen to tunes. I hope you can help. What an I supposed to do?

- Clinton, NY, USA

Jan 052015

Cherokee 6-cyl

When accelerating out of my parking spot to the street I let off the gas and the car continued to accelerate causing my to slam on my breaks almost hitting someone. If you let off the gas right around the time it is going to shift it will lurch into a higher gear sending you forward.

- New Orleans, LA, USA

Mar 212015

Cherokee

After a complete stop at a stop sign, "service transmission" message appeared on the speedometer, check engine light turned on, car was beeping all over the place, and could not accelerate after stepping on the gas pedal 3 times. I had to turn off the car and restart the car on the spot. After restarting the car, engine light stayed on and I was able to drive home. Prior to this incident the check engine light has been on and off for about a few months since I purchased the vehicle on November of 2013. Seems like other Jeep Cherokee owners are also experiencing similar problems if not more serious and fatal. Several complaints found on this forum (www.aboutautomobile.com/complaint/2014/Jeep/Cherokee/power+train) regarding the issue reported that their vehicles lost power on the highway. Other even had trouble with their gears. Also the car would accelerate a little more even the driver had let go of the gas. This is definitely a serious problem and needs to be addressed and investigated immediately before someone gets hurt or even killed.

- Rowland Heights, CA, USA

Aug 012014

Cherokee 4-cyl

I am very afraid to drive my Jeep. When I first bought it I noticed it jerked a lot. I called them and they updated the software. It still does that but just not as much. Today I was pulling into the drive way and it accelerated without me touching the gas and would not stop right away. I'm going to call and make another appointment. I'm scared to drive it now because I could have wrecked or hit someone. This is unacceptable.

- Virginia Beach , VA, USA

Jan 102015

Cherokee

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. While driving approximately 25 mph, the vehicle increased acceleration when the brake pedal was depressed. The failure occurred whenever driving 25 mph and coming to a complete stop. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who stated that the vehicle operated normally. The manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 100.

- Nesconset, NY, USA

Jan 122015

Cherokee

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. While driving approximately 25 mph and coming to a stop, the brake pedal was depressed and the vehicle unexpectedly increased acceleration. The vehicle came to a complete stop after the brake pedal was applied forcefully. The failure recurred whenever driving at the speed of 25 mph and coming to a stop. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who stated that the vehicle operated normally. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The approximate failure mileage was 100.

- Nesconset, NY, USA

Feb 262015

Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

Vehicle's "adaptive cruise control w/ stop-and-go" was activated and set to 40 mph. On approach to an intersection with stopped traffic ahead, the adaptive cruise control feature failed to slow the vehicle and a rear-end collision nearly occurred. The system had a clear field of view and approached stopped traffic from approximately 300 yards. The vehicle's collision alarm and brake booster activated as I waited for the system to slow the vehicle. Using full braking force, the vehicle came to rest approximately 5 feet from the vehicle in front of me.

- Columbia, SC, USA

Feb 102015

Cherokee

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. While driving at an unknown speed, the vehicle continued to accelerate after the accelerator pedal was no longer engaged. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. In addition, after shifting into first and second gear, the vehicle jerked forward. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The technician informed the contact that the vehicle was operating as designed. The manufacturer was not notified of the failures. The failure mileage was 12,000. The VIN was not available.

- Wood River Junction, RI, USA

Jan 262015

Cherokee 4-cyl

This car has been nothing but trouble since 1500 miles off the lot brand new Jeep. And then at 2800 and then at 3000 miles they replaced the power control module then two more times for software update. Then at 10250 they tell me the transmission has gone and needs to be replaced. As if anything else can go wrong with this car the tires they put on from the dealership Firestone my aft right tire split on the sidewall for no reason at all the only damage on the tire was the crack on the tire. So not only is the car defective but the wheels from Firestone as well. Has anyone else experienced my horrible luck.

- Quakertown , PA, USA

Feb 122015

Cherokee

Just entering the highway doing the speed limit of 70 mph with my newborn child all of a sudden my car suddenly stalled / shook/ and halted while trying to find a safe place to pull over on the higher way. The service transmission light came on. This is a huge safety concern that I had to somehow find a way to pull over on the side of a major highway with an infant in the car while my car was stalling out.

- Naples, FL, USA

Oct 142014

Cherokee

When driving the car and you step on the brake and then take your foot off of the brake, the car starts to accelerate even though you don't put your foot back on the gas. The car also takes along time to decelerate when you put your car gently onto the brake and then take it off of the brake, it just seems to maintain the previous speed for about 20 seconds.

- Pearl River, NY, USA

Oct 072014

Cherokee 6-cyl

The first incident in October Jeep came to complete stop on highway.also would accelerate on its own. It was towed to dealership. They drove it sent info to Chrysler they said it needed transmission replaced. Was in shop 22 days. Dec.30 2014 towed back to dealership, for several issues. Would not take off when you pressed gas pedal after 2 attempts it lunge and began moving, driving in traffic pressed the brake and it did not slow down instead it speed up after pressing break harder it slowed. Few days later it would not shift out sounded like it in first gear.they once again replaced the transmission and updated the soft ware. It sounds like the shocks are bad but they didn't address this issue either. It rides and feels like it sways all over the road. This Jeep Cherokee latitude was bought new in 2014. I think it is seriously a road hazard.

- Berryville, AR, USA

Jan 052015

Cherokee

While driving on flat terrain at a constant highway speed the car suddenly decelerated for a few seconds with the tachometer needle swaying back and forth and then returned to normal operation. This recurred 5 minutes later. The dealer indicated that it was a transmission software problem and loaded the latest software release. Two weeks later the problem occurred again.

- San Jose, CA, USA