CarComplaints.com Notes: There's no way around it, the Cherokee's transmission is junk. There's no other explanation for why a vehicle, usually with under 40,000 miles, would have so many complaints

2014 Jeep Cherokee engine problems

2014 Jeep Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 4 of 4)

Mar 062014

Cherokee

Vehicle has been taken to dealer for same issue 4 times. The information reflected indicates the first time that we brought the care in. Initially we took the care in because vehicle was shifting roughly and would sometimes delay before engaging gear when pressing accelerator. After vehicle reprogrammed and returned to customer it was being driven on freeway at normal speeds when the check transmission light came on, told driver to pull over and the vehicle lost ability to accelerate. Vehicle coasted to side of freeway and was towed to dealer who attempted to fix vehicle. Vehicle returned to customer, a short time later vehicle had same issue on freeway. Again towed to dealer who again attempted to repair vehicle and replaced transmission. A couple of months later while driving on the freeway again vehicle exhibited same exact behavior. Was towed to dealer awaiting resolution of issue. This problem represents a significant safety hazard. Review of similar incidents on this website as well as other websites indicates this is a widespread problem that tends to occur at high rates of speed when a complete loss of vehicle power is dangerous to both those driving the affected vehicle and those on the road.

- Niantic , CT, USA

Dec 052014

Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

I was traveling on the interstate in the left lane at highway speeds when I lost my forward drive gear, my vehicle rapidly slowed causing vehicles behind me to break. My display was telling me to shut the engine off and restart the vehicle. My gear shift indicator was flashing rapidly between drive and natural. I tried to get over to the right lane then the shoulder as other vehicles avoided me. My check engine light was on and I had no ability to accelerate. I got to the shoulder, put the vehicle in park, shut off the engine and then restarted. I was then able to proceed directly to the dealer along the shoulder of the interstate without further incident. My check engine light remained on. The service manager ran a quick check and said the vehicle recorded over 20 faults at the same time which ranged from disengaging the anti lock breaks to disabling my forward drive. He said he had never seen before. He returned the vehicle to me the same evening because he did not know how to fix it, but said it was an electrical failure of some type. I contacted Jeep case # 26113535. Although they attempted to resolve the issue they ultimately closed the case because once the dealer initially cleared the faults the vehicle could not be diagnosed until it happens again. I contacted Jeep reference number 26160146 and expressed my concern that they had closed the case claiming that I had not taken the vehicle to have it diagnosed even though they had talked to the dealer who told them he could not do it. Jeep wants me to wait until it happens again. If I have to wait the until next time my vehicle looses all forward drive and ability to accelerate out of a dangerous situation there may be a fatality or major accident depending on where, traffic conditions and weather conditions it happens.there is obviously something wrong with the vehicle which Jeep is choosing to ignore..

- Lorraine, NY, USA

Oct 152014

Cherokee 4-cyl

If held continuously, cruise control will jump from singular speed increases/decreases to 5 mph at a time resulting in a loss of speed control or to describe it another way, unintended acceleration or deceleration.

- Bethany, OK, USA

Jul 012014

Cherokee

Sorry I'm not sure why it does this... when I'm driving sometimes and I take my foot off the gas to slow down.. for some reason my car on it own.. speeds up.. I watch the RPM and there is a big jump in rev.. I'm not sure what that is.. I actually lurch forward. I'm scared that one day it's going to hit a person or go through the wall of my garage! the second thing is my light switch I am not sure why but twice it's pushed into my dash board...the first time it happened I was stuck at dusk.. couldn't drive.. my normal dealership in North seattle called the dwayne lane in everett and they told my dealership that they won't do warranty work.. so my dealership had to send out a guy from service and drive all the way to everett to do a temporary fix... the third complaint.. now at 9500 miles there's a leak in my engine coolant.. and it left me stranded in everett and had to be towed.. by the way tried to go to the everett dealership dwayne lane and again they wouldn't help me this time.. I had no ride home and they wouldn't provide a rental car.. even though I paid for a very expensive extended warranty. I had the car towed the next day to marysville Jeep dealership and they are wonderful! don't buy from dwayne lane in everett!!!! the service department is the worst in the country. I've heard many horror stories from clients.. to tow truck drivers.. to other dealers.

- Marysville, WA, USA

Nov 192014

Cherokee 4WD 4-cyl

I received a phone call from my wife who was on her way home from work at approximately 1825hrs. She went on to explain to me that her vehicle was "acting" up again with all the same symptoms as last time (first incident has already been submitted under same information). She lost a significant amount of power while traveling on a busy highway where the speed posted is 65mph. When this happened she pulled off to shoulder and took photographs with her iphone to keep for our records and to what her dash was displaying. She stopped while on the shoulder and put the vehicle in park and turned off the ignition. After some time she turned the ignition on and put the vehicle in drive when she noticed the vehicle "jerked" and made a loud clunky noise. This is the second incident. The first incident dealership was unable to find any problems under the diagnostics they ran.

- Hemet, CA, USA

Nov 032014

Cherokee 4-cyl

On the above date while traveling to work my wife called me and informed that her vehicle had lost power during operation on a busy highway. Upon further explanation she informed me while accelerating to the proper speed for the posted speed limit of 55mph the vehicle had lost power and the "service transmission" light illuminated. She then pulled off the busy road to a safe a spot and proceeded to contact our insurance and the local Jeep/Chrysler dealership, as we are currently under warranty. Once I arrived to my wife's location we waited for the tow truck and upon his arrival he asked if the vehicle could be driven, at this time I turned on the vehicle and placed it in drive, the "service transmission" light was still on. I was able to drive in approximately 3 miles to the dealership all awhile being followed by the tow truck and without incident.

- Hemet, CA, USA

Mar 312014

Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

Since purchasing the car there have been ongoing lurching and rollback issues with the vehicle. The car will lurch even at a full stop giving the feeling you are about to crash into the car ahead of you. The problem is intermittent. Repeatedly took the car into the dealership - westbury Jeep, NY from day 1. initially they claimed there was no such issue. On a consecutive visit, they addressed part of the problem with a software update that they said was known to correct the particular problem. The issue does not happen as frequently but does still occur. It is intermittent and since you're not expecting it, can put you in panic mode while driving and slam on the brakes to avoid a feeling of being out of control and colliding into the vehicle ahead of you. The car also rolls back on occasion. Both issues are considered unsafe and haphazard. I will not put young children in this car due to fear of their safety. These are still issues from day 1, now 8 months into ownership with repeated attempts to get all problems resolved (among other issues) after reporting to Jeep and the dealership - and not getting any response - I've asked repeatedly for them to take back the car and issue an refund their response has been to stop all communications and close my case. This car is a danger on the road, both to the driver and passengers and surrounding drivers.

- Floral Park, NY, USA

Oct 082014

Cherokee 4-cyl

Have noticed that when I push the gas pedal when accelerating from a stopped position to go the accelerator wants to stick. When I get my speed up and let off gas pedal speed accelerates.

- Pollock, LA, USA

Oct 182014

Cherokee 6-cyl

While attempting to back my 2014 Jeep Cherokee 4X2 into a parking space between 2 parked cars on the left side of a one way street, the car slid to the left slamming the left rear quarter of my car into the right front of the parked car causing damage to both cars. I was attempting to back up into a space on a slightly inclined street. I had to apply some extra power to my Jeep. However it went sideways instead of straight back into the parking spot. I thought I did not plan the maneuver correctly but what happened is that my rear left tire lost traction to the road which made the car travel sideways instead of straight. I had reported some rubbing noise coming from the tires earlier in the week and some minor ply in the steering wheel to the dealer. They could not duplicate the rubbing noise and reported fixing the steering wheel. I picked up the car only to find out that problems were still the same. I am guessing that there is a major flaw in the ESC that made the car perform in that flawed manner. The ESC light came on after that hit and would not go off. The steering wheel now more crocked. And the rear left wheel looks like bent. I had the car towed to the dealer on Monday but they would not consider looking at it until the accident is fixed. So now it is in the shop.

- Burke, VA, USA

Aug 012014

Cherokee 4-cyl

Jeep would accelerate in curves or going downhill. Drivers foot would not even be on the gas pedal. You would not see the change of speed in the speedometer, but would see it in the tachometer, and you could feel it speed up. There were times I thought the vehicle would flip in a curve or rear end someone. It does it most while cold, like when you would first start driving for the day.

- Stockbridge, GA, USA

Sep 282014

Cherokee 4-cyl

While driving in light to moderate traffic as well as stop and go traffic, vehicle would routinely surge forward immediately after slowing and or break when foot was removed from brake pedal. Cruise control had not been used or engaged at anytime.

- Rosemead, CA, USA

Sep 272014

Cherokee 4-cyl

At highway speeds, vehicle would routinely become locked into a single gear and fail to shift beyond that point until the vehicle was turned off and then restarted. Upon restart vehicle would travel approx 10-15 miles before vehicle would again not shift and have to be turned off and restarted. This cycle repeated numerous times and on subsequent days.

- Rosemead, CA, USA

Jul 142014

Cherokee 6-cyl

On occaision when accelerating the car seems to be in limbo, not accelerating and losing speed slightly.

- Hammond, IN, USA

Aug 122014

Cherokee

Transmission light came simultaneously with car losing ability to shift gear, move forward or reverse. I was in a precarious situation as I was on a heavily traveled road. Car is being towed to dealership. This is a brand new car and clearly there is a dangerous issue with the transmission of this car. I am very concerned to drive this vehicle, even after the car has any necessary repairs. I believe this car is a poses a serious safety threat due to its inability to gain speed or change gears at critical times.

- Union, NJ, USA

Jul 262014

Cherokee

Incident occurred on freeway while traveling at 70 mph. Was traveling in the #1 lane and encountered a slower moving vehicle. Changed to the #2 and accelerated, but got no response from the vehicle. The freeway at this portion is a downgrade so vehicle was able to coast downhill. I accelerated again and vehicle failed to accelerate. A "service transmission soon" message was displayed on dashboard. I exited the freeway and came to a complete stop at the bottom of the offramp. I pressed the gas, while in drive, and the vehicle did not move. Placed in park and then back in drive and the vehicle did not respond. Placed vehicle in park and shut it down and restarted vehicle and it did struggle to move forward several feet. Placed vehicle in reverse and it did not respond. Repeated sequence of turning it off and back on and the vehicle responded. Placed vehicle in drive and it did not respond. Repeated sequence and vehicle finally moved forward. Was able to slowly drive vehicle to dealership. After half a day dealership stated "Chrysler" told them to wiggle the cables and see if any of them are loose. After they determined the cables were not loose they installed the new transmission updates and cleared the error codes. Service tech stated the problem should not happen again. So far I have not experienced any other failure with the transmission.

- Victorville, CA, USA

May 012014

Cherokee 6-cyl

I drive a 2014 Jeep Cherokee with standard cruise control which they refer to as electronic speed control or ESC. The car manual states that once the cruising speed is set, it can be reduced in 1 mph increments by pressing the "set -" button. It doesn't indicate that pressing that button could result in more rapid deceleration of the vehicle or that it might actually cause the system to apply the brakes. On other vehicles I've owned, pressing and holding the "set -" button simply cause the engine to back down and the vehicle essentially coasts until the button is released at a new, lower set cruising speed. However, on a number of occasions while using ESC I have held the "set -" down hoping to decrease speed by a few miles an hour. What has actually happened in those instances is that after a second or so, the vehicle begins rapidly decelerating and it appears the brakes are activated by the system. As you can imagine, that could be a very dangerous outcome if the driver doesn't know it's coming and there is other traffic following behind. I'm fortunate there was no traffic following me on the occasions on which this occurred. I went back and reread the manual on the use of ESC and saw no reference to rapid deceleration or brake applications in this scenario. I then E-mailed Chrysler about it, and finally received a response telling me that when using the adaptive cruise control ("acc") system, hlding down the "set -" button will result in deceleration in increments of 5 mph, though it doesn't refer to application of the brakes by the system. However, I don't use the acc system which is activated by a separate button. Either I have a malfunction of the ESC system or Chrysler has failed to disclose a very important piece of safety information as to the function of the ESC feature in the manual, and I'm lucky it didn't get me into a serious accident.

- Johnston, IA, USA

Jul 062014

Cherokee

The car gave a message that the transmission needed service. It then drove a few more miles and then stopped allowing me to accelerate. It was like it was in neutral but the engine would not rev. It did let me drive again after shutting down the car but the pattern continued until we dropped it off at the dealer. We needed to turn the car off and on several times. There was also an unknown smell that came and went.

- East Syracuse , NY, USA

May 222014

Cherokee

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. The contact stated that while traveling various speeds, the vehicle erroneously accelerated. The contact also stated that the vehicle jerked erratically while shifting. The contact mentioned that the vehicle was previously repaired under NHTSA campaign number 14V293000 (vehicle speed control). The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was 150.

- Vancover, WA, USA

Mar 122014

Cherokee 4-cyl

When cruise is set at any rate of speed vehicle has the tendency to speed up to 10-20 mph above set speed. Especially when going down hill or on level surface.

- Lashmeet, WV, USA

Mar 282014

Cherokee

I purchased a 2014 Jeep Cherokee ltd. In 10/2013 for my daughter to learn to drive (with learner's permit) and to drive when she gets her license soon. I was driving the car in March on I-10 in heavy traffic time when SUV made a whining noise, gears stalled for several seconds, RPM's dropped. SUV continued to do this at a variety of speeds with increasing frequency. The car has less than 7000 miles, so I brought SUV to selling dealer's service department and was told they could find nothing wrong. They guessed and updated software, then closed the service order. After leaving dealership, SUV performed 5 intermittent and similar episodes on the way to destination that was about 7 miles away. I returned SUV to the same service department the next day and reported the incident to chrylser and Jeep customer care (jcc). Jcc contacted the dealer. A decision was made to remove the entire transmission to be sent to Jeep engineers to dissect and determine cause of the problem. A new transmission exact to the old, only with 'updates' was placed in the SUV. Since these series of events have occurred, I have discovered that the Jeep Cherokee had 4 holds on releasing the SUV due to the issues with 9 gear Fiat transmission. I was also told by the dealer that ours was the 2nd such case seen in their service department with the same problem. Ultimately, jcc offered more warranty and the ability to skip one payment of which I did not accept. The only acceptable offer would have been for the engineers to tell me that the SUV is safe for their own new teen driver or to take the SUV back, to no avail. Jcc sent the case to the 'case analyst' team, but ultimately closed the case as resolved. I have serious concerns about my daughter driving the SUV once she obtains her license. I also have concerns about her younger brothers riding in an SUV that may perform unsafely and unpredictably.

- Prairieville, LA, USA