NHTSA — Fuel/Propulsion System Problems

2014 Jeep Cherokee (Page 2 of 2)

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

CarComplaints.com Notes: There's no way around it, the Cherokee's transmission is junk. There's no other explanation for why a vehicle, usually with under 40,000 miles, would have so many complaints

5.8

2014 Jeep Cherokee fuel system problems

2014 Jeep Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Aug 092014

Cherokee 6-cyl

I am a nurse and travel for a living. On my way home from assignment in wv. Just outside a bowling green on I65. My car jerked then lost all power. Engine light, service transmission light and battery lights all came on. I was going 70 miles an hour. I had no acceleration. I coasted to the shoulder, across 3 lanes of interstate. I attempted Jeep emergency number but got the unable to connect voice mail, after 5 minutes my car restarted. I remained on right side of road. 65 miles later and 15 miles from nashville the car jerked and I lost the ability to accelerate once again. I pulled over and the car restarted. I am now in a hotel for the third night and unable to get home. I took my car to Jeep this morning to be serviced. I was told a computer malfunction caused the problem. The dealer did not offer to pay for rental car, hotel ect. The new part is supposed to be here Tuesday. No I was not killed or involved in a crash however, I can think of several scenarios where I easily could have been in a horrible crash. What if the new module is also bad I asked. It's like my new laptop I was told. Sometimes they just break.

- Gulf Shores, AL, USA

Apr 012014

Cherokee

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. The contact stated that the gear indicator on the gear box began to blink and the service engine indicator illuminated intermittently. The vehicle stalled while making a left turn at an unknown speed, but was able to be restarted. The dealer stated that the fuel pump needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred. While driving 70 mph, the speed reduced on its own and the vehicle stalled again. The vehicle was able to be restarted and was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V293000 (vehicle speed control). The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Waukegen, IL, USA

Jun 162014

Cherokee 6-cyl

Subject: 2014 Jeep Cherokee limited, V-6 engine/9 speed transmission, purchased 2/25/14. Current mileage: 3940 miles. This subject automobile is experiencing problems that appear to be associated with the transmission and throttle control. The problems are described as: 1.a subtle chatter in the transmission when accelerating similar to clutch chatter. This occurs in lower gears. This behavior is worse when turning hard left/right when transmission is under an acceleration load. 2.the transmission shifting (up and down shift) can be delayed and very abrupt. In going up a hill, the throttle response is delayed with a following abrupt, head jerking downshift. Similar abrupt shifts when upshifting 3.throttle response can be abrupt (surges forward) at light throttle application. This in itself is a safety issue when behind a car at a stop. As the cars in front move forward, a slight throttle response causes the car to lurch forward and accelerate faster than the car in front. This happened to me several times. Fortunately, I was far enough behind to not hit the car in front. This issue was brought to the attention of the dealer 6/26/14. Dealer stated "could not duplicate concern." This complaint is consistent with other complaints for this issue and automobile. Judging by the number of similar complaints, it is strongly suggested that NHTSA look into this matter before there are accidents and/or injuries.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Jun 202014

Cherokee 6-cyl

When quickly accelerating from a complete stop (such as pressing the gas pedal all the way down), my 2014 Jeep Cherokee(3.2L w/ active drive I) significantly shakes from left-to-right similar to where a wheel would be out of balance. This seems to affect performance as well, where the vehicle lags to pick up speed right away, which is concerning when needing to quickly cross expressway intersections.

- Rochester, MN, USA