CarComplaints.com Notes: There's no way around it, the Cherokee's transmission is junk. There's no other explanation for why a vehicle, usually with under 40,000 miles, would have so many complaints

2014 Jeep Cherokee miscellaneous problems

2014 Jeep Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 3 of 4)

Jul 142014

Cherokee

Vehicle shifts from park into reverse without anyone touching the shift lever. Vehicle also changes gears occasionally when driving, e.g., shifts from reverse to drive when backing up, or reverse to neutral. Reported to dealer immediately in July 2014 (not aware of problem) and Chrysler on 9/29/14 and again 9/9/15. We are now vigilant when shifting gears and before initial acceleration. Once moving, the Jeep stays in the gear selected, e.g., hasn't shifted out of drive while driving down the road. The shift problem is a progression downward, I.e., park to reverse, reverse to neutral, reverse to drive. Unfortunately my wife had another and potentially serious incident this weekend when she parked on level ground, placed the Jeep in park, left the engine running, got out of the Jeep (briefly to check on something), then the vehicle shifted into reverse and started backwards. My wife had to run and jump into the moving Jeep to stop it. On this occasion, she wasn't even in the Jeep and there were no passengers, so no one touched the shift lever. There was a significant pause (I.e., time to get out of the Jeep and start to walk away) before the Jeep changed gears. On the occasions when the Jeep shifts from reverse to drive, we have been fortunate that no person or object was close to the front of the Jeep and the driver was alert and able to stop within the first few feet; we will not always be so lucky. Other manifestation of this shifting problem is when shifted to reverse, we watch the indicator say reverse then, after a noticeable pause with no one touching the gear lever, the Jeep will shift into neutral or continue into drive. Knowing that this is a problem, we watch the shift sequence closely and catch this "slipping out of gear selected" problem to avoid an accident. Is this a drive by wire electrical problem?

- Edgewater, MD, USA

Sep 042015

Cherokee

I was driving down the highway. When I heard a loud gunshot noise and glass everywhere. I looked up and noticed it was my sunroof. There was no cars in front of me. Because the first thing I thought maybe a rock hit it. But as I got out and looked and check out the incident sunroof was pushed up. Meaning if the rock cat hit it it would be pushed in towards the vehicle. Since it was pushed up believe me to think the engine may have misfired or some kind pressure was in the vehicle that needed to be released. My truck is now in Jeep being investigated buy Jeep to see if it's something that they are responsible for which they are. But I know they are going to try and put it on my insurance and then we are going to have big problems.

- Riverhead, NY, USA

Aug 252015

Cherokee

I had a roll away incident back around August 25th 2015 I pulled into my driveway and put the car (2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee overland) in park.I turned it off and exited the car. It started rolling forward so I jumped back in the car and put on the brake then moved it backwards a little and exited the car again. Again the car was in park and shut off.as I was walking away from the car it rolled forward again about 8 feet.I know it was in park, when it was not in gear. I got out of the vehicle and it started to roll back on me. I quickly jumped back into the vehicle to stop it without accident, this time. Now I put a block in front of the tire so it wont roll away.I wont park it on a hill.dealer cant seem to find a problem.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Aug 142015

Cherokee

The car did not accelerate when peddle was pushed (in heavy traffic) then jumped suddenly to accelerate into oncoming traffic. This vehicle has had complete valve body failure in less than 3,000 miles and numerous updates to the computer because of uneven shifting and acceleration. The latest update seemed to work better for a few weeks and now is worse than previously. The Chrysler dealer (ron carter alvin Texas) refuses to return my calls for service or to set a service date.

- League City, TX, USA

Jul 312015

Cherokee

2014 Jeep Cherokee defective transmision problem - on July 31, 2015 I was stoped at a traffic light. When the traffic in front of me moved I placed my foot on the accelerator; but the car did not move. The car stalled/died while in drive. I noticed that several indicator lights went on the parking brake indicator and what I believe is the slip indicator or stability control indicator. The little green indicator light next to the drive position of the gear shift was also blinking on and off. This was not the first time the vehicle stalled/died while in motion. Several previous times the same thing occurred, once while my wife was driving in traffic and once while backing out of the driveway. During this most recent incident my vehicle was almost struck by other moving traffic. My wife was also almost struck by moving vehicle traffic when the car stalled/died while she was driving it. Prior to these incidents we had trouble with our Jeep Cherokee shifting hard. Recently we learned that since the 2014 Jeep was put onto the market there were reports of similar incidents which has been traced to defective transmission in the 2014 Jeep Cherokee. We were never told about this defect with the transmission when we leased our Cherokee in August 2014 - even though the dealer was obviously well aware of the defect. My wife and I consider this to be a safety problem and it is a miracle that we were not injured in the above incidents.

- Jericho, NY, USA

Dec 022013

Cherokee

Shifting with the vehicle or accelerating often has unexpected results. Shifting from reverse or park to drive results in lunging forward with increased speed. Shift from reverse to park or park to reverse can experience forward lunging. Pressing the gas, or even attempting rapid speed increase, can result in an unresponsive vehicle - no movement forward, high revs and significant rpms. After several seconds a rapid "catch" occurs and an uncontrolled jerking lunge forward. Vehicle sometimes does not start on first try. Electronic hatch does not work all of the time. Doors do not unlock sometimes by touch electronically.

- Littleton, CO, USA

Jul 312014

Cherokee

After doing my homework and research on a vehicle with #1 safety ratings in its class, I am now in a constant state of fear for the safety of not only myself and my family, but to any other innocent people around me. I travel as little as possible in a vehicle that I am still in debt a very large sum of money on. I took delivery of my 2014 Jeep Cherokee trailhawk, 4X4 on May 28, 2014. The first issue occurred on July 31, 2014 when the vehicle felt as though the engine dropped out into the street of my neighborhood, disabling the vehicle completely; it was not drivable, nor would it shift into neutral in order to get onto the tow truck. (the transmission and emergency braking systems failed) to make an incredibly long story short...I have experienced this same event as well as many others continuously over a 14 month period in regard to failure of my emergency braking system as well as my transmission to include: Jerking so much that my purse flies from seat onto floorboard, jerking that causes my daughter to lunge forward into the back of the front passenger's seat, a stalled vehicle on busy highways and streets on numerous occasions, sudden engagement of emergency brake with the inability to release the brake while stopped at traffic lights; I could go on and on. After a total of 20+ trips to the dealerships for repairs (8-10 of these of which were via tow truck), (3) new transmissions, several repairs and modifications to the emergency braking system...my vehicle is still currently out of commission and not in my possession. I received a call on tues. Of this week from the dealership to inform me that a resolution was made; yet another transmission would be installed in my death trap of a vehicle. (this makes #4) to say that this is clearly the definition of insanity is an understatement. Something drastic needs to be done before people are killed.

- Lakeland, FL, USA

Apr 082015

Cherokee

I have had my Jeep for a short period of time & have had many recalls, now there is a huge article in the paper about a buy back. How do I know if I'm in that? trish nafus

- Hemet, CA, USA

Mar 012015

Cherokee

I purchased a new Jeep Cherokee on September 1, 2014. Approximately six months after purchasing my new Cherokee I started noticing it was rough when shifting gears. Almost like I was driving a stick shift but didn't know how. I took my car to ron lewis in cranberry township, pa to get the recall updates on the software and ever since I've been experiencing problems more frequently. The first problem that occurs every time I drive my vehicle is when I am drifting down hill, not on the brake or gas. My engine revs like the vehicle is in neutral and I'm stepping, but it does not accelerate, and my RPM shoots up between 4 and 5. this happens all while going around 15-25 mph. The only way to get this to stop is to slam on the brakes, or shifting into neutral. I am also experiencing an acceleration in speed which happens when I'm coming to a stop at a red light or stop sign. I took my vehicle back out to ron lewis in cranberry township on July 24, 2015 with approximately 7,700 miles on it and explained the problems continuously occurring. I did research online to see if other people were having similar issues with their Cherokee and found seven pages of complaints from 2014 and 2015 Cherokee owners all having the same, or similar issues. I showed this information to a service advisor so they were aware I wasn't the only owner having these problems. When I finally heard back from the dealership they told me they checked for any software updates and that I had all the latest updates. They then informed me since there were no check engine lights on there was nothing more they could do for my vehicle. Saturday July 25th I took a video driving down hill between 15-19 mph, engine revving very loud like the vehicles in neutral, and my RPM accelerating passed 4. I called the service advisor letting him know and I haven't heard anything back from the dealership yet.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Jul 172015

Cherokee

Backed out of driveway then warning light/symbol and tone came on that the 4 wheel drive system was unavailable and service required, service airbag warning came on as well as service parking brake, limped back into driveway barely. Turned vehicle off restarted still getting warnings and tried to move vehicle motor revved but vehicle didn't move forward or reverse. Got another warning to put vehicle into park then select gear. Currently waiting for tow truck. Jeep won't move in drive or reverse now. Suspect transmission issue.

- Anchorage, AK, USA

Jul 092015

Cherokee

I bought a pre-owned certified Jeep Cherokee 2014 from david's Dodge, Jeep, and Chrysler last week Monday, June 6th, 2015. I had a major issue occur a week later on the highway while traveling 65 mph the car loss traction control, 4 wheel drive, and the ability to accelerate. I was in a cattle shoot and had to coast the car down the highway to pull over. A service engine light along with warnings about the traction control and transmission were shown. I pulled to the side of the road and put the car in park which resulted in a hard jerk from moving the clutch from drive to park. I restarted the car and the car was idling at an abnormally high RPM. I put the car in drive and noticed a jerk once again when moving through the gears. The car also shifted very hard for about 45 more miles. I called the dealership who informed me that my car required an update to the transmission which was preformed that day. As an engineer I find it unacceptable that the dealership sold a car with the potential to crash on the highway due to negligence with regards ignoring a crucial update like the transmission. After the update to the transmission the car is shifting very hard from gear to gear and seems to be giving a shallow shift to 1st gear when the car is at a complete stop. Monday, 13th, 2015, I have an appointment for two other issues a squeak in the rear passenger seat and an interference issue with the sirusxm. As an engineer it is obvious that there is a deep underlying problem with the 9 speed transmission I will be asking for the dealership to replace the transmission as the update was not effective causing rough shifting and a loss of acceleration in the shift from high to low gears.

- Malvern , PA, USA

Mar 022015

Cherokee

When going from a stopped position accelerating there is an obvious shake or shimmy in the front end of the vehicle. This seem to be more prevalent when turning right. The vehicle has been taken to the dealership three times now. They have rotated the tires, balanced the tires and put 2 different replacement parts on (I am unsure as to what the parts are) and none of these things have solved the problem.

- Avon, IL, USA

Nov 032014

Cherokee

I received a safety recall notice over 8 months ago from fca--P60. NHTSA# 14V-634. It involves the alternator diodes that may experience a rapid failure. The parts are still not available from Jeep. My dealership has put me on a "waiting list." Obviously the responsibility is on Jeep--not the dealership. Considering the potential danger of the alternator failing, can someone intercede? this is a tragedy waiting to happen to the affected drivers. (see redacted paragraph from recall notice below). The driver will have limited or no detection of the alternator failing, which can result in vehicle shutdown while driving and/or an underhood electrical fire.

- Tulsa, OK, USA

Oct 062014

Cherokee

The Jeep Cherokee has a plastic skid plate underneath. The first incident happened when I hit a puddle of water, pulling the front edge of the skid plate loose. At that point, anytime my speed reached 45mph it would vibrate, making a very loud noise. I called the dealership and took it in the next morning. The tech said he sees this all the time, the plate is held on with plastic bolts. They repaired in 30 min, no paperwork. The same thing happened again in feb2015. I took the vehicle in to the dealership for an oil change and asked that they re-secure the skid plate. I was advise it was done. It happened again in mar2015, and I returned to the same dealership for this problem, along with several recalls. I was told they would put metal screws in to repair it. The 4th time it happend was june2015, mileage appx 7500. This time was much worse than prior, as when the skid plate came loose, the plastic was flipped under so it was dragging the ground at all times (not just vibrating at increase speed).

- Frisco, TX, USA

Jul 022014

Cherokee

Started car in the garage, put the car in reverse and the dash lights were blinking and the radio display flashed and said service trans and the service trans stays lit. Had the car towed to the fuller dealer on rt 22. Somerville NJ. Got the car back 8/8/14. The transmission continues to give me problems while shifting. At time I can step on the gas to accelerate and the car doesn't move than all of a sudden will rush forward. Slowing down and going around a turn is the worst because stepping back on the gas the car feels as if it's going to stop then at once it will rush forward as if I was stepping on the gas all the way to the floor. Had the car back and on 8/21 was pulling out of the driveway at work and heard a terrible grinding noise and lost ability to steer the car. Had it towed and the dealer called the next day to tell me that the left front axle had snapped and was probably a defective one from the manufacturer. I want to get rid of the car because I don't feel safe driving it. I'm afraid if I ever need to step on the gas to get out of the way of something, I will not be able to and will be involved in an accident. Terrible transmission and will be discussing my concerns with my lawyer.

- Green Brook, NJ, USA

Jun 032015

Cherokee

While descending down a hill with a moderate slope, I applied light braking to slow my 2014 Jeep Cherokee slightly. During the light braking, the vehicle suddenly shifted into a lower gear and the engine RPM increased from approximately 1500 RPM to 3000 RPM. This would seem to be normal, except that rather than slowing the vehicle down, the lower gear actually caused it to speed up, which then required more braking. This has happened several times, fortunately, the road conditions were good. If this should occur during wet or icy road conditions, there is a good chance the vehicle will skid. The transmission has also slipped during acceleration, which can also create safety hazards, as well as future quality issues. Fca has had many issues with the transmissions in their new Jeep Cherokee, but do not appear willing to find a serious solution to a serious problem. Please consider forcing a recall on the 2014 Jeep Cherokee, before serious safety issues begin to occur.

- Honey Grove, PA, USA

Feb 032015

Cherokee

2014 Jeep Cherokee.on thruway passed tractor trailer and moved into right lane digital reads 0. message display something about not being able to shift while in motion. Shifter 'd" still lit red. Pulled over to a stop. Had to shut off and restart. June 2 on thruway in left lane. Digital reads 0. same message as above plus '4WD is unavailable' shifter 'd" is still lit and 4WD is in "auto". just 2 hours ago pulling into my driveway. Digital reads 0. same two messages. Now shifter "D" is flashing 4WD lit in "auto". first 2 times they tell me they can't find problem. No codes they say and can't duplicate when they drive it around the block.can't wait to hear what they say tomorrow. Car has needed 5/6 updates since I brought it home March 2014.one of the updates was after the first incident. Something called a 'snap ring'.I just had it in for oil change a month before.I also had an oils change a month before the second incident. They said no updates that day but it needed 4 when I brought it in after last weeks incident.all 3 times the electrical was still on.nice to know I can die in a firey crash but still listen to tunes. I hope you can help. What an I supposed to do?

- Clinton, NY, USA

Apr 242015

Cherokee

Driving home, the car suddenly shifted from drive to neutral. Alarm sounded and a message of shift to park and restart. Engine light came on dash display. The engine continue to run, but there was no power to the transmission. We coasted off the road. I put the car in park and it restarted. After a few seconds the transmission re-engaged. We were near the dealer where we purchased the car. They gave us a loaner and kept the car. We were advised there was a recall on transmission module and powertrain module. We picked our car up from the dealer and it seemed fine. But on 5/20/15 we experienced the same problem. The dealer said they reprogrammed the electronics and road tested the car and all was well. On 6/4/15 we had the same failure. We just missed having another vehicle run into us since the car just stopped it's forward progress. The dealer has the car now. The said they have no idea at this time (3:00 pm) what the problem could be. The first two failures weren't bad because we were the only vehicle on the road. The third failure nearly caused an accident. I just spoke with the service department. They said the vehicle had failed during a test drive, but they cannot isolate the failure at this time.

- Vero Beach, FL, USA

Mar 172015

Cherokee

On 3/17/2015 I took my vehicle to local Jeep dealer for 2 separate recalls- one for the airbag and one for the transmission. I had not had any problems with the vehicle but had received a notice in the mail advising me of the recalls. At that time an electronic transmission "upgrade" was made. When I left the service the transmission was "missing" and when I called the service dept I was advised that it may take a few days for it to normalize. I took the vehicle back on 3/26 and the service dept manually reprogrammed the transmission. This still did not fix the problem and I took the vehicle back on 4/14 and they tried another fix which did not fix the problem. I then took the vehicle back on 5/5 and the service dept contacted Jeep and was advised that they were working on developing a new software but that it may be a few months before this was available. I was advised to take the vehicle home and they would contact me. The vehicle transmission completely stalls on an incline and almost completely comes to a stop. The vehicle also skips gears when trying to press the gas at times. I was advised that this had happened to other Jeep vehicles when the "upgrade" was done but that the program to fix it was still being worked on and it may be some time. This is a safety concern as we almost got rear-ended several times because the transmission missed gears and would not go. The other safety concern is the almost complete stall on an incline. This vehicle is made to climb rocks and go in different weather conditions and this could cause a major accident.

- Jeffersonville, KY, USA

May 202015

Cherokee

Upon acceleration from full stop my Jeep made a loud clunking sound from the rear of the vehicle which felt like something was jammed in the axle. Had the vehicle towed to courtesy motors in danville, il and they replaced the rear differential. They refused to provide a loaner although it took 4 days to repair. When I picked it up on 5/26 the same issue was still present. I was told to "baby it" on my 4 hour drive home and take it to my dealer. My dealer identified the 2nd issue as the power transfer unit which is being replaced as well. My dealer gave me a loaner but 13 days in the shop to replace such items on a vehicle less than a year old is seriously concerning!

- Fox Lake, IL, USA