CarComplaints.com Notes: There's no way around it, the Cherokee's transmission is junk. There's no other explanation for why a vehicle, usually with under 40,000 miles, would have so many complaints

2014 Jeep Cherokee steering problems

2014 Jeep Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Mar 022016

Cherokee

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. While driving at a low speed, the vehicle stalled and the steering wheel became difficult to turn. The contact had to apply force to the steering wheel in order to steer the vehicle. The check engine warning indicator illuminated. In addition, whenever the heating or air conditioning units were activated, a mold odor emitted from the air vents. The vehicle was towed to a dealer, but the cause of the failure was unable to be diagnosed. The dealer speculated that the software needed to be reset. The vehicle was repaired. After the repair, while driving down an incline at various speeds, the accelerator pedal was depressed and the vehicle hesitated to move forward. The rpms increased. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer and the software was reset. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure persisted. The VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 16V529000 (power train); however, the part needed to repair the vehicle was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 15,000. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Burbank, CA, USA

Nov 092016

Cherokee

I had just picked up my Jeep 2014 Cherokee trailhawk from the dealership following the S-55 recall software update. (my vehicle was deemed not to need the new transaxle wiring harness parts, only the software update.) upon leaving the dealership, the battery light and alarm chime came on while making a U-turn and the steering became very hard at low speed. At the next traffic light, I experienced a loss of steering as slowing to a stop. When the light turned green, I was able to complete the left turn as the steering re-engaged upon acceleration. I immediately pulled into a parking lot and had extreme difficulty turning into a parking space, as steering went out again as the brakes were applied and speed decelerated to a stop. I was able to limp vehicle back the short distance to the dealership by keeping off the main highway and using parking lots and back streets. This occurrence of events was the same as my husband experienced prior to the S-55 transaxle wiring harness recall software update, except he eventually also lost all emotive power (complaint # 10915926). The service technician at the dealership could not replicate this issue, possibly because I inadvertently turned vehicle off in service lane, which may have reset the system temporarily.

- Sarasota, FL, USA

Oct 292016

Cherokee

Transmission acting erratically. Transmission will shift hard into 2nd and 3rd gear. When coming to stop it will downshift in a rough matter. Some times it bangs but is only intermittently. The transmissions works fine on the freeway will work fine only noticeable on city driving. I have taken for repairs and software update several times to the point that I got frustrated and stop calling the dealer. The 36K warranty expired in December 2016.

- Chula Vista, CA, USA

Oct 102016

Cherokee

Takata recall car bucking when shifting into gear. Also there was a knocking noise when driving at different speeds and when turning the wheel or going over bumps. It got so bad that it sounded like my tire was going to fall off or the underneath of my car. Also my car was shaking when it would hit a bump. There was also a whining noise that would occur when I turned my wheel either way. This problem has been occuring for almost two years now, everytime I brought it back to the dealer they stated that my "car was fine" was not until I brought it to another machinic that they told me it was my front passenger wheel ball joint. This would occur while the car was on the highway or side roads, as long as the car was in motion. Also my car would have problems when shifting. The car bucked on my on the highway when I was going 65 the car lights started flashing and I got warning lights stating to put car into desired gear, check oil and transmission. I pulled into the break down lane and put the car in park. Turned the car on and off & the same thing happened.

- North Providence, RI, USA

Oct 102016

Cherokee

While driving the vehicle, all of a sudden there was a shutdown of the vehicle's computer/electrical system, a loss of any steering control, an immediate vehicle deceleration with no ability to correct by accelerating, and a loss of braking control.

- Sarasota, FL, USA

Sep 272016

Cherokee

While towing our Jeep behind a class a 24 foot motorhome traveling about 50 miles an hour on a bumpy road the Jeep started shaking violently and trying to pull to one side or the other. We slowed down but it continued until we came to a complete stop in the middle of the road. Cars behind us cleared out away because I'm sure they thought it was going to break loose. We of course were scared and concerned as we had no idea what was happening. We are in a very remote area with no cell phone service and concern about danger to us and other travelers as we had no place to pull off. We did a thorough walk around concerned about flat tires or a broken tow hitch. I recall an article in motorhome magazine concerning "death wobble "in 2014 and 15 Jeep Cherokee's. we did a youtube search and internet and found out there is a history of this problem that Jeep is trying to correct but it does not seem to be working. If we had been towing the Jeep with a pick up truck we probably would've been flipped off the road, luckily we are in a big heavy motorhome. Motorhome owners may find out about this as time goes on but these Jeep will be traded to uninformed owners that may pullthe Jeep with a smaller vehicle. The name death wobble all over youtube has me concerned as how the name came to be. I really feel this is an accident waiting to happen while being pulled by lightweight rv or SUVS or already obviously has happened but not reported. It is in a very limited situation but nevertheless owners and potential owners should be made aware and a better fix should be forthcoming. An article can be found in motorhome magazine for November 2016 and the previous issue.

- Knoxville, TN, USA

Nov 222013

Cherokee

I was driving on a highway. I made a complete stop at the traffic light when red. On green traffic signal, the car placed itself into no motion. The car activated the following warning lights: Parking brake, service engine, stability control, and the monitor displayed service transmission. This problem has been repetitive along with a cat purr during acceleration since first day of new purchase.

- Rahway, NJ, USA

Sep 132016

Cherokee

We purchased a 2014 Jeep Cherokee limited, 4WD w/active drive 2 in January 2014. When we purchased this vehicle, we traded in a GMC terrain. We were certain that the Jeep was going to be a fantastic purchase, knowing the reputation of Jeep. We have had nothing but what I'd call serious problems with the transmission. Every time I take it in for an oil change, I mention it, and they do "software updates." Each software update that has been done has not corrected the problem still. All it's done is created a different problem. There have now been 5 recalls on this vehicle, 1 of which hasn't been taken care of yet because Jeep hasn't come up with a replacement part, so I'm stuck with a rental renegade that is nowhere near comparable to my Cherokee limited 4WD, for an "unspecified amount of time." My steering column makes a grinding noise louder than a 40 year old truck. The dealership told me that it was a normal sound. No vehicle I've ever driven has sounded like this, especially one that cost me $40,000!!!

- Michigan City, IN, USA

Sep 012016

Cherokee

When at an average rate of speed (55mph) while driving on a curve (there is a bump in the road at the spot I am referring to), when the Jeep hits it, it has a death wobble in the front end!!! cruise control speeds up on a very small decline in the road every time used!!! from a stop, the car has a hard shift when beginning to press accelerator!!! hands free voice gets my voice request wrong almost every time!!!

- Heber City, UT, USA

Jul 012014

Cherokee

I I purchased my vehicle the Jeep 2014 Cherokee because of the ease of towing that the owners manual in 2014 and other sources other sources we had checked indicated. There was no mention in the owner's manual of any problem with the steering of a vehicle while being flat towed behind an rv. This was the best choice for us as it was the simplest vehicle in motorhome digestive towing vehicles. Since we have experienced a severe front-end wobble while towing. In 2016 I received a card in the mail indicating a part was needed actually it said to put in the owners manual but in reading it it indicated a wiring kit was required. Explore this item with my dealer the first time he didn't know what I was talking about the second time I brought in a part number that I had found in the motorhome magazine. I gave him the part number they researched it and found that this was a wiring kit required for flat towing. My assumption was since it was required it was some sort of recall. To my surprise it cost me over $500 and in contacting Chrysler they refuse to reimburse me or even acknowledge the issue. Even the 2016 literature regarding flat towing a Jeep Cherokee did not indicate the requirement of a wiring kit so my assumption is they are not acknowledging this problem. It is a severe safety problem for people who bought the vehicle for flat towing behind an rv. I would appreciate you looking into this matter and getting back to me with any information or results that you may find. Regards ron and cheryl simons St louis Missouri

- Florissant, MO, USA

Jul 082014

Cherokee

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. While driving 60 mph, the vehicle rocked back and forth. The power steering shook violently and seized. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that a flat towing wiring kit was needed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was approximately 5,000.

- Lakewood, CO, USA

Mar 262016

Cherokee

The contact owned a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. While driving approximately 30 mph, the steering wheel seized and the vehicle crashed into a ditch. The air bags did not deploy. A police report was filed. The driver sustained injuries to the collar bone. The contact sustained injuries to the spine, facial lacerations, and a fractured vertebrae. Medical attention was required. The vehicle was destroyed and towed to the dealer. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Brixey, MO, USA

May 212016

Cherokee

Purchased vehicle for flat towing behind motorhome. At speed, car steering is affected and causes car to shake violently as well as motorhome.condition has occurred several times while flat towing vehicle. This is a major safety concern as it causes a potential loss of control of motorhome at speed.

- Danbury, CT, USA

Feb 012014

Cherokee

The transmission has had issues since I got the car, the dealer has done several software updates but none completely solve the issue. The car feels like it wobbles when it accelerates from a stop and they cannot seem to fix this problem or admit that there is one. Also, when you turn the steering wheel it makes a grinding or whining noise and I have brought it back twice for this. They just grease the system and it stays quiet for maybe 10 miles. I'm concerned that this could lead to a much bigger issue in terms of safety if it loses steering to some degree.

- Township Of Washington, NJ, USA

Jun 272016

Cherokee

Transmission failed while driving at about 60 mph on a highway. Lost power, lost power steering. Could barely steer car to the side of the road. Turned off, waited, restarted and it ran fine. Service transmission light came on for a while, then went off after about 50 miles. This happened for the second time on June 27, 2016. After the first time several months ago we took the vehicle to the dealership for a software update, this is really dangerous. Losing power and power steering while traveling down a highway at 60 mph could result in an accident if it happened in traffic. Luckily for us, traffic was light so we we able to get off the road on both times this has happened. Must be a software defect, as the engine is running fine.

- Hyde Park, UT, USA

Jan 012015

Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. The contact stated that the vehicle violently shook, while being towed. The contact stated that the failure only occurred when motor home was towing the car. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where diagnosed the problem as the electric power steering assist wiring harness and fuse holder needed to be installed. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 25,000.....updated 07/11/16 after the steering assist was installed, the computer showed the rack and pinion had broken. Updated 07/13/16 updated 07/14/16.

- Lodi, CA, USA

Oct 172015

Cherokee

Was sent Chrysler csn S13 safety recall due to flat-tow issue behind motor home. Vehicle begins to sway L to R violently if it is moved onto shoulder or change is surface. Chrysler to add wire harness which keeps battery on during tow to re-center steering wheel. Battery is dead in 3-hours if this fix is added. Vehicle was sold to us as towable platform and not disclosed of these issues. This issue occurred while leaving our home development and turning right last October 2015. The vehicle corrected itself when stopping and continuing. After reading several complaints in fmca, I've decided to take to dealer and write formal safety complaint. This is second safety complaint behind transmission issue which was created some months ago. There have been several recalls on this vehicle. This issue can damage the vehicle as well as our motorhome. Solution fo wire harness is not acceptable for us due to battery failure and should not be to any other customer purchasing this vehicle (as advertised) as tow vehicle.

- York, SC, USA

Jan 162016

Cherokee

Electric power steering failed suddenly. A complete loss of power steering and steering warning light on the dash occurred simultaneously while driving on the highway. After stopping the vehicle, turning off the engine, opening the door to power off the electronics, and restarting the vehicle, the power steering seemed to work properly and the steering warning light on the dash was gone. The same issue occurred two additional times while on a road trip away from home with my family at both low speed and high speed. It occurred once more while making a left turn out of a parking lot, which caused me to narrowly miss hitting a police officer who was directing traffic, before I was able to drop the vehicle off at a dealership. At low speeds, it was very difficult to steer the vehicle and impossible to turn at a low enough radius to park or make a right turn into or out of traffic. I consider myself to be a very strong person and I was required to use a tremendous amount of force using both hands to control the vehicle while the power steering was out. It felt like I was going to break the steering wheel or bend the steering column just trying to make a right hand turn out of traffic on a city street. I have had experience driving without hydraulic power steering in older vehicles, and I know that I was required to use two to three times more force in this instance. The dealership told me the electric power steering rack was the cause of the vehicle's issue. This failure, which occurred each time without warning, has caused me to feel uneasy about driving the vehicle, especially with my wife and infant son in the car. The vehicle is currently at the dealership for repair and has been waiting to receive the necessary replacement part for several weeks. I have been told that the replacement electric power steering rack is on backorder.

- Swansboro, NC, USA

Apr 222016

Cherokee

There is a vibrating sound coming from the center of the steering wheel. You can feel it when touching the center of the steering wheel. The vehicle is in motion when this happens have taken it in 4 times to be repaired it still is doing the same thing. The transmission stopped and would not go after turning the engine off and restarting it it would go but lights still on. Had it towed to dealer.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jul 012014

Cherokee

Since when I first flat towed (July 2014) my 2014 Jeep Cherokee behind my diesel pusher motorhome the front wheels and axles will wobble significantly causing safety concerns that the vehicle will break loose or render the vehicle not drivable. This occurs at any speed on uneven roads surfaces. In order to stop the car from wobbling you must bring the motorhome to a complete stop regardless if you are on an interstate in heavy traffic, on a long bridge with no shoulder, city streets in rush hour traffic, on a steep mountain pass, etc. I have talked to Jeep several times but cannot get any action. They act like I do not know what I am talking about. They never heard of it. A recent article in February 2016 family motor coaching says fca knows about the problem and has a fix yet when I call I get the run around. One person said that fca was developing a kit that owners may purchase sometime this year. This problem should be a recall and parts and installation provided free. My case number at Jeep is 28673568. Another rv season is starting with Jeep owners towing there Jeep behind there motorhome, how long must we wait for Fiat Chrysler automobiles to recognize this problem and notify Jeep Cherokee owners about this problem and how fca is going to correct this problem. Note: Rewriting the towing instructions will not stop this problem.

- Sacramento, CA, USA