Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: How many transmission complaints can a new vehicle really receive? You'd be surprised. Unless you're a 2015 Cherokee owner, then I bet you're not surprised at all.

2015 Jeep Cherokee drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2015 Jeep Cherokee:

2015 Jeep Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 10 of 17)

Jun 012015

After the last software update the tranny will not longer down shift unless at a complete stop. Going 5 mph it starts out in 3rd gear this is unsafe when pulling out into traffic the Jeep has very little power. Then if little more gas is applied the car down shift tire squeal and the motor will almost go to red line.

- Waconia, MN, USA

Apr 152015

After purchasing my Jeep in January, I encountered high RPM's on downshift and acceleration during low speed braking. I brought it into the originating dealer where they re-loaded software relating to the issue. I drove it for 3 months with the same issues. I again brought it into the originating dealer and they told me they had 3 week service back up and to take it to another dealer. I did so. The new dealer gratuitously took me in and kept the car for 3 days. They also erased the computer and re-loaded software that was meant to fix the anomalies. I still have the same problem. I then wrote fca but received no response. My plans are to bring it back to the later dealer on my next oil change and have them look at it again. My larger concern is that I may have a rapid acceleration experience and hit another car or pedestrian. During the down shift. Basically, I have no choice but to keep my mind on the problem. In all my driving years (many), I have never had such a problem without a fix.

- Springfield, OH, USA

Sep 272015

I've had the computer recall update. When driving the transmission will jerk and make a loud noise this happens when the car is in motion and can happen at any speed. It does not happen every time I drive but happens enough to be a concern.

- Round Rock, TX, USA

Sep 192015

While driving 60 mph I lost power to the vehicle. I was able to safely coast to the side of the freeway. Several errors popped up including service transmission, service 4WD, service parking break. After sitting on side of road I restarted car and errors cleared. This has been happening several times and taken to dealer 4 times. This is a very dangerous situation and I have been put in very dangerous situations.

- Katy, TX, USA

Aug 252015

The transmission sifts erratically, from first to second & second to third gears. Its sluggish grinding has caused near rear end collisions from drivers following the vehicle, as it speeds up & slows unpredictably. I have taken this vehicle to the dealership 5 times during the first 11 months of ownership. The 1st time was July 2015. 3 times technicians have installed updates (or "fixes") to the transmission; 2 times the technicians have claimed an inability to identify the problem. When the vehicle shifts into park the brakes do not hold, causing it to lunge forward. When driving in "stop and go" traffic conditions, upon applying brakes the vehicle lunges forward. This problem has resulted in near accidents due to the inability for the driver to control brake activity. The vehicle was seen in 8/15; he was unable to identify the problem. The vehicle continues to exhibit these problems.. the vehicle continues to exhibit these problems after multiple attempts to address them. The vehicle has 5,100 miles on it. It continues to exhibit these problems after multiple attempts to address them. I have been to the dealership 7 times to address repeated problems, causing a loss of time to employment. Repeated flawed attempts to address problems have diminished its trade in value. Attempts to negotiate trade in or replacement actions with the dealership have not been successful, as remedies such as trade in reflects its diminished value. The vehicle consistently causes safety concerns to the driver as well as potential occupants. I am a senior citizen, and disabled; these two attributes make automobile safety a particular concern to me. Please let me know if you need additional information about these reports.

- Auburn, IL, USA

Jan 302015

The contact owns a 2015 Jeep Cherokee. While driving approximately 35 mph, the vehicle made a jerking motion, failed to accelerate, and two unknown warning indicators illuminated. The failure recurred multiple times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer for diagnostic testing. The mechanic repaired four computer modules and replaced the transmission. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 4,000.

- Henrico, VA, USA

May 122015

After purchase of our new car 15 Cherokee trailhawk V6, we noticed abnormal transmission shifts. We contacted our dealer and was told the vehicle needs to learn your driving style. The Jeep would not downshift into 2nd gear and would rev and then engage the driveline resulting in neutral drop like take offs. 2nd appointment in July we were told there was a new program for the trans. Some improvement, got 2nd gear back. But the hesitation and slam into gear thing was still there. 3rd time in Aug. Oil change and recall for the tailgate and radio. They again told us there is nothing they can do about the way it drives. No new programs out. Sept. The car almost killed us, while pulling out after a turn on red corner, the car took a few seconds to move after committing to the turn. Same neutral drop type engagement. No check engine lights. Read online forums this is a common symptom for these zf transmissions.

- Brookfield, IL, USA

Aug 302015

The contact owns a 2015 Jeep Cherokee. The contact stated that while driving at 30 mph, the brake pedal was depressed and the vehicle accelerated without warning. The check engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 3,400.

- Holiday, FL, USA

Mar 022015

Vehicle will not accelerate properly. Turning right into traffic car loses power almost hit. This has happened on several occasions. The car has spent over a month since in the shop. I am told that there is a transition issue with the computer that they cannot fix. I'm scared to drive my new car not knowing when it will decide to go or not.

- Asheville, NC, USA

Jul 072015

I entered into a lease agreement in April 2015 for a new 2015 Jeep Cherokee limited, as time went on I noticed that the vehicle was shifting very hard, and at times it would lunge forward after having came to a stop for such things as stop sign, red lights and traffic delays. The vehicle has a 9 speed automatic electronic transmission in it and further noticed that the vehicle wasn't going into the upper gear ratio. I contacted the dealership where I leased the vehicle from, and they took the vehicle in and did a computer update on the electronic transmission. Since then, and as of very recent times, the vehicle is once again doing the same thing again. With added issues, in that that now after coming to a stop and taking my foot off the brake and accelerating, the rpms go up, but the vehicle doesn't move, and then suddenly will lunge forward. I have the vehicle scheduled to go back to the dealership on mon Sept 21st.

- Erie, PA, USA

May 302015

Purchased car 5/13/15. On 5/30 noticed shimmy/vibration as I accelerated from a stopped position into a sharp right turn. Appt made for service 6/8. at check-in, customer servc knew exactly what I was talking about; confirmed in test drive. Reported star case #S1421000022, half-shafts (left & right axles) defective, need replacing. Told car was completely safe to drive in this condition. Verbal & written confirm that parts were being manufactured and were scheduled for release 9-2015. Told by service mgr, Chrysler issued an internal tsb 2-2015. Parts warping when heated and fluid loss occurs. Entire assembly needs to be replaced but parts haven't been manufactured, contracted with company that manufactures the trailhawk model (no problems reported on those parts). Assured car was safe to drive but Chrysler rep agreed to pay for rental car for long trip I had planned prior to purchase. Researched -- I have found this issue dates back to the 2014 models. Bottom line, they knew this part was defective prior to selling me the car in May. I agreed to be patient but it is now Sept and have not had my "status update" inquiry phone call returned. Vibration issue grew worse quickly, turned into a wobble. I can't drive it for extended periods on highways. As the car/parts heat up, the wobble in the front end is a constant, not just on turns. I feel as if the axles will break apart while driving. I do not have another car that I can use. There is no excuse for selling cars with a known defect and forcing a buyer to place their life in jeopardy. Other issues have cropped up. Engine races & doesn't always shift when it should; cruise control not consistent - loses speed. When returned to service, told they couldn't find a problem w/ cruise control, told transmission functioning correctly, computer is "learning" how I drive. Brakes squeak after rain, told normal by svc mgr.

- Newport, NH, USA

May 072015

I was driving to work and car started to die. I was driving around 30 mph and car started to slow down. I came to the point where I was was ready to take a left turn so started to turn but the car died and an oncoming car almost hit me.

- Conyers, GA, USA

Mar 262014

The nine speed transmission is horrible at lower gears. The accelerated transition between second and third gear cause the transmission to slip and lunge the car forward. Another issue is during a yield intersection the transmission either doesn't engage, stays at the lower gear or slips follow by a lunge. My father purchased a Chrysler some 30 years ago and vowed he would never repeat that mistake - the car won't run in the rain and transmission dropped. He laugh when I purchase the Jeep should have listen to him. I too vow never to purchase another Chrysler product.

- Johns Creek, GA, USA

Sep 112015

In stop & go traffic vehicle repeatedly lunged forward. This is not safe. It also had a delayed response after sitting. The lunges caused me to physically move forward in the seat & slam on my brakes. I was also told when I purchased that this would subside after a few hundred miles as it was just due to sitting at the car lot. I will be taking vehicle in for servuce.

- Sunbury, OH, USA

Sep 022015

Four weeks after my 2015 Jeep Cherokee purchase and approximately 3,000 miles the service engine light came on the dashboard. In addition, the car started to run at about 4,000 RPM's on the freeway and wouldn't shift. Finally, when the car comes to a stop, it turns off in order to save gas. While restarting, the car would hesitate and jump from one gear to the next unexpectedly, which was a safety concern. Upon bringing it into troncalli Jeep they informed me that the transmission was no good and needed to be replaced. I opted not to replace the transmission and requested a replacement vehicle or cash equivalent of $3,000 on the value my car would drop upon resell for owning a poor quality car with known and well publicized defects for both transmission and internet security.

- Gainesville, GA, USA

Apr 102015

The contact owns a 2015 Jeep Cherokee. While driving approximately 5 mph, the accelerator pedal was depressed but the vehicle would not accelerate. The vehicle was restarted and the check engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer on four occasions where the failure was unable to be determined. In a most recent occasion, the vehicle was taken to a dealer where the module and the wiring harness were replaced and reprogrammed, but the remedy failed to repair the vehicle. The failure mileage was 4,500.

- Navarre, FL, USA

May 062015

The contact owns a 2015 Jeep Cherokee. While driving 5 mph, the transmission slipped and the rpms increased significantly. The transmission failed to respond. Also, there were repeated attempts before the gear lever shifted into drive. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the transmission was replaced; however, the failure recurred. The vehicle was not repaired for a second time. The contact mentioned that the sun roof rattled and made a loud noise while driving. The vehicle was not repaired for the failure. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 3,173.

- Dixon City , PA, USA

Dec 182014

The contact owns a 2015 Jeep Cherokee. While driving various speeds, the transmission shifted when coming to a complete stop. The contact also discovered high rpms in the process of shifting gears. The dealer was unable to find any failures. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 4,000.

- Lock Haven , PA, USA

Jan 202015

When reducing speed once at about 35mph the vehicle wants to accelerate. Vehicle was in the shop from Jan. 20th 2015 Feb. 6th 2015. Dealership replaced transmission and fixed the problem. I was not able to list the dates up top so I will list everything here. April 29th 2015 to April 30th 2015 vehicle had a recall. Recall #R05. July 13th - July 28th had a problem with gas. Everytime I would get gas within 20 miles it would drop a quarter of a tank. Dealership replaced fuel pump and tested it. Also another recall. Recall #R40. June 1st - June 2nd I advised the dealership vehicle goes through a quarter tank of gas within 20 miles. They looked at it and couldn't find a problem. Also on this date they performed a flash update for powertrain control module. On July 31st my fiancee came to pick me up at 3pm after work and I got a call from her stating the vehicle stopped running. She had our newborn baby along side of the road in 90 degree weather waiting for a family member to pick her up. I got a ride to our broken down vehicle and called a tow truck. Tow truck came and took us to dealership. I waited for the results and they had no idea why it had died so they gave me a rental until the next day. August 1st recieved call from dealership saying it was a faulty fuel pump they had installed just a few days before. My vehicle was in service for this from July 31st - August 4th. The problems add up now I have another recall for the power liftgate control module, recall #R27 as I cannot get this recall fixed yet because I was told by dealership they havent started manufacturing the parts yet. Lastly, last week I went to start vehicle and it would not start. Took a few times and had to give it gas for it to start. Today Sept. 7th 2015 vehicle would not start. Had to get it jumped and going to call dealership tomorrow to get this checked out.

- Tiffin, OH, USA

Sep 032015

I have the V6 automatic. The transmission has always been a little off and I have adapted my driving style to cope with the hesitant acceleration and the clunking/lurching when when accelerating and decelerating. The Florida turnpike traffic has been stop and go since the schools reopened two weeks earlier. Since I spend more time in stop and go traffic, the transmission number of hesitation and lurching events have skyrocketed. Most recently the vehicle lurches violently forward when accelerating and slowing down at approximately 10 mph. The severity of the lurch has increased and the last even threw my head forward enough to strain my neck resulting in several days of soreness. This transmission is beyond quirky and in my opinion poses a threat to vehicle occupants as well as other vehicles directly in from of it. The vehicle is awaiting diagnostics at the dealership who advised they are waiting for a decision from corporate whether to service the transmission or replace it completely. Previously the PCM/tcm were flashed in June 24th 2015 @ 3289 miles. Complaint has been addressed to Chrysler as well.

- Miami, FL, USA