CarComplaints.com Notes: How many transmission complaints can a new vehicle really receive? You'd be surprised. Unless you're a 2015 Cherokee owner, then I bet you're not surprised at all.

2015 Jeep Cherokee drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2015 Jeep Cherokee:

2015 Jeep Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 12 of 18)

Jan 202015

Cherokee

When reducing speed once at about 35mph the vehicle wants to accelerate. Vehicle was in the shop from Jan. 20th 2015 Feb. 6th 2015. Dealership replaced transmission and fixed the problem. I was not able to list the dates up top so I will list everything here. April 29th 2015 to April 30th 2015 vehicle had a recall. Recall #R05. July 13th - July 28th had a problem with gas. Everytime I would get gas within 20 miles it would drop a quarter of a tank. Dealership replaced fuel pump and tested it. Also another recall. Recall #R40. June 1st - June 2nd I advised the dealership vehicle goes through a quarter tank of gas within 20 miles. They looked at it and couldn't find a problem. Also on this date they performed a flash update for powertrain control module. On July 31st my fiancee came to pick me up at 3pm after work and I got a call from her stating the vehicle stopped running. She had our newborn baby along side of the road in 90 degree weather waiting for a family member to pick her up. I got a ride to our broken down vehicle and called a tow truck. Tow truck came and took us to dealership. I waited for the results and they had no idea why it had died so they gave me a rental until the next day. August 1st recieved call from dealership saying it was a faulty fuel pump they had installed just a few days before. My vehicle was in service for this from July 31st - August 4th. The problems add up now I have another recall for the power liftgate control module, recall #R27 as I cannot get this recall fixed yet because I was told by dealership they havent started manufacturing the parts yet. Lastly, last week I went to start vehicle and it would not start. Took a few times and had to give it gas for it to start. Today Sept. 7th 2015 vehicle would not start. Had to get it jumped and going to call dealership tomorrow to get this checked out.

- Tiffin, OH, USA

Sep 032015

Cherokee

I have the V6 automatic. The transmission has always been a little off and I have adapted my driving style to cope with the hesitant acceleration and the clunking/lurching when when accelerating and decelerating. The Florida turnpike traffic has been stop and go since the schools reopened two weeks earlier. Since I spend more time in stop and go traffic, the transmission number of hesitation and lurching events have skyrocketed. Most recently the vehicle lurches violently forward when accelerating and slowing down at approximately 10 mph. The severity of the lurch has increased and the last even threw my head forward enough to strain my neck resulting in several days of soreness. This transmission is beyond quirky and in my opinion poses a threat to vehicle occupants as well as other vehicles directly in from of it. The vehicle is awaiting diagnostics at the dealership who advised they are waiting for a decision from corporate whether to service the transmission or replace it completely. Previously the PCM/tcm were flashed in June 24th 2015 @ 3289 miles. Complaint has been addressed to Chrysler as well.

- Miami, FL, USA

Aug 212015

Cherokee

Transmission stalls alot and is very sluggish, really afraid to let my son ride in the Jeep because im scared we will get hit because you have no power to get out of the way. My Jeep always would not start today and when I tried cranking it the brakes felt like a rock and could not be depressed, ,, that could really cause a problem and get myself and others hurt if the brakes did that while driving, thank god I was not on the road this accured in my driveway. Scared to really drive this Jeep but I pay $940 a month and you would think this thing would run and drive and be safe but im now wondering about this and I have only had this Jeep since July 20 15 and it only has 1977 miles on it.hope this info may help others.

- Douglasville, GA, USA

Jul 272015

Cherokee

The transmission issue has been occurring intermittently, but the Jeep in inoperable when the transmission failure is occurring. The transmission has failed to engage when starting the car or when the auto start/stop sequence occurs while driving. The screens pop up on dash including 4WD failure, parking brake failure, and service transmission. I have now brought the Jeep in 3 times in the last month with the same unresolved transmission issue. On the first occurrence, the vehicle was towed into the local dealer, the second time I drove it in after restarting the vehicle and the tcm was replaced. The third time, the dealer was unable to repeat the issue and apparently the codes cleared. The interesting part about the third time was the fact that uconnect sent me an email warning me of the issue. I have very little confidence that this issue will not reoccur. The key takeaway of the issue is once I restart the vehicle several times the transmission eventually engages and the vehicle is drive able. The transmission light remains on, but will clear sometimes.

- Katy, TX, USA

Oct 312014

Cherokee

The powertrain is frequently unresponsive and there is often a significant lag time between pressing the accelerator and receiving any response from the powertrain when trying to accelerate from a full stop. Sometimes the vehicle responds immediately but other times it feels as if it can take a full second or more for the vehicle to respond. While this is not a big issue when accelerating from a stop light, this has become a significant issue when making a left turn across oncoming traffic because the vehicle cannot be counted on to respond and begin accelerating in a timely manner. The dealership service has responded that problem may be my driving or my inexperience with the active assist II transmission, but my previous car was a hybrid, I know about engines stopping at signals. Nevertheless, the car stalls less if I disable the active assist every time the engine starts, although not completely. The dealership said they reprogrammed the system but the problem still exists.

- Atascadero, CA, USA

Aug 012015

Cherokee

Check engine light came on. Took to the dealer and transmission needed to be replaced. New transmission isn't any better than the old one. Didn't like the old transmission from week one.

- Baraboo, WI, USA

Aug 302015

Cherokee

Purchased a brand new 2015 Jeep Cherokee Friday August 28th. On August 30th with less than 300 miles on it my Jeep Cherokee's transmission seemed to fail going about 60 miles an hour on the highway the transmission abruptly slipped causing the vehicles rpms to spike near 4000 RPM. Along with an abrupt loss of speed. Transmission service light immediately illuminated. After exiting the highway and coming to a stop the transmission was making a horrible banging noise while trying to shift into first gear. I will be going to a dealership tomorrow to have it fixed since it is a Sunday. Only 300 miles on the vehicle! I'm scared to drive it.

- Naperville , IL, USA

Feb 012015

Cherokee

The powertrain is frequently unresponsive and there is often a significant lag time between pressing the accelerator and receiving any response from the powertrain when trying to accelerate from a full stop. Sometimes the vehicle responds immediately but other times it feels as if it can take a full second or more for the vehicle to respond. While this is not a big issue when accelerating from a stop light, this has become a significant issue when making a left turn across oncoming traffic because the vehicle cannot be counted on to respond and begin accelerating in a timely manner. The transmission has been replaced under warranty and the transmission/powertrain software module has been "re-flashed" under recall but neither repair has fixed the responsiveness issue.

- Scottsdale, AZ, USA

Apr 152015

Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2015 Jeep Cherokee. While driving at various speeds and approaching a stop, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle also failed to accelerate up a hill at 60 mph. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the failure was unable to be duplicated. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 5,000. Updated 11/09/15 the consumer stated at 5,000, the accelerator pedal did not respond. Also, the vehicle stalled at intersections. Updated 12/24/15.

- St. Roberts, MO, USA

Nov 182014

Cherokee

I bought the car mid October 2014 and began noticing it did not shift properly - would "hang up" in lower gear when it should shift. Took it to the dealership (mileage aprx 2,500) which said it was "throwing codes" so they adjusted the transmission. This still did not correct the issue so I took it back and they said they could find nothing wrong but did make a minor adjustment but the problem continued to get worse. At aprx 5,700 miles they put a new transmission in the vehicle (probably May 2015). In June, the vehicle began to falter when it was trying to shift and while driving (happens at any speed) and, while sitting at stop lights it would surge forward with my foot on the brake. The dealership has adjusted it twice since then. The dealership has offered to sell the car at auction for me and Jeep wants to send in a "star repair" team to work on the vehicle some more. I have had this car already worked on 5 times and no one has a clue of what to do to repair it. It is dangerous in that when you pull into traffic and the car falters/stalls out it can create a potential wreck or when it the engine surges on its own a risk of running into something exists. I don't think selling it at auction just to pass the problem on to someone else or "hanging parts" on it in hopes they can fix the problem is the answer. The car now has 10,600 miles on it; has not been abused and still does not run properly or safely. I think this vehicle is a lemon and both Jeep and the dealership do not want to take responsibility for a faulty product that is dangerous to drive

- Miami, OK, USA

Jan 152015

Cherokee

The contact owns a 2015 Jeep Cherokee. While the vehicle was parked, it rolled backwards. The contact also stated that, while driving at approximately 55 mph, the vehicle failed to accelerate over 50 mph. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the failure was unable to be duplicated. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 7,190.

- Bellefontaine, OH, USA

Dec 052014

Cherokee

Vehicle purchased end of August, noticed hard shifting and RPM surge almost immediately. Software update in December, by the end of Feb. Vehicle was going into what the dealer termed as limp mode, service engine and trans. Indicators loss of power, parking brake comes on etc. Transmission replaced in March at 5000 miles. Since then the vehicle has had several software updates to no avail. Dealer currently has had vehicle for 10 days to replace valve body and a harness. Acuras with these transmissions have supposedly been recalled. Why hasn't Chrysler done the same before someone gets seriously injured or worse.

- Pottstown, PA, USA

Jul 262015

Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

The transmission sometimes hunts for the proper gear. It also has tried to accelerate when slowing down to a stop. I live on a mountain and when descending I manually shift the transmission to 3rd gear, but when I do, the car will speed up before slowing down. This will cause a problem on snow covered roads. After doing some research, I found that other Jeep owner's had the same issue and re-flashing the control module did not resolve the problem, so I have not taken the vehicle back to the dealer for the re-flash.

- Shavertown, PA, USA

Jun 242015

Cherokee

The contact owns a 2015 Jeep Cherokee. While driving at 30 mph, the accelerator pedal was depressed, but the vehicle failed to accelerate as the rpms increased. The vehicle was taken to a dealer who was unable to diagnose or repair the vehicle. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 12,000.

- Greenfield, IN, USA

Aug 212015

Cherokee

Transmission failed to shift. Check engine light on, service transmission message displayed.

- Titusville, NJ, USA

Jan 262015

Cherokee

Transmission failure. Vehicle would not shift out of third gear.

- Titusville, NJ, USA

Aug 112015

Cherokee

We were driving cross-country, far from home when the service light came on at 5,645 miles. Fortunately, we broke down in a city with a Jeep dealer nearby that could scan the codes. We learned that the transmission control module indicated a problem with the transmission. The dealer recommended replacing the transmission. After 5 days, we picked up our car. We have noticed rough shifting on both the old transmission and the new transmission. We have since learned that the transmission in this make/model vehicle is new and not production ready. Many customers are complaining about the same problems and experiencing close calls with vehicles hitting their stalled car on freeways and busy streets. We are very worried about our safety as the transmission continues to run rough like before. Please investigate.

- Roseville, CA, USA

Jul 082015

Cherokee

Transmission responsiveness has very long (greater than one whole second) delay from driver input to actual power delivery. This leads to frequent near misses in dense traffic, particularly merging from a secondary street to a highway. I have not driven any other vehicle with a delay this extended.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Jul 012015

Cherokee

When my 2015 Jeep Cherokee sport reached about 3000 miles it began having acceleration problems when I began to decelerate at stop signs, traffic lights, or in traffic. When the vehicle decelerated it always had a one or two second occurrence of rapid acceleration causing me to slam on my brakes avoiding collisions. This became worse as the car approached 4000 miles. I would then have problems accelerating into traffic and had issues with excessive rpms before shifting into the correct gear. I scheduled a visit to me dealership upon my return from vacation. The Friday before we left for our return trip home from vacation my wife put the car into drive and the Jeep shifted into reverse for several seconds before shifting into drive. Very dangerous. The very next day we were on our way home from vacation and got 4 miles on the highway (130 miles from home) when I reached 60 mph the transmission service light and check engine light came on and the car would not accelerate and began to stop in high speed traffic. We coasted off the road with my young children in back and had to be towed to the nearest Jeep dealer which was 130 miles from our house. The dealer has seen this before and seems to think it is a software issue. They will reinstall the software (which didn't work the first time) and test the car for several days. When asked if this will occur again they gave me no reassurance, saying it's software and not an actual part. I was advised confidentially by a serviceman at the dealer to speak to an attorney as I do not feel safe for my wife and young children traveling in this car without any reassurance. It is a very dangerous situation which it seems Jeep knows about but will not address correctly until fatalities occur. Should not happen with a 2 month old car. Looking at the lemon law but it seems to need 3 occurrences which by that time may lead to a fatality.

- South Plainfield, NJ, USA

Aug 072015

Cherokee

This is a newly leased vehicle. After driving at 65 mph for about 20 minutes and then stopping, a burning smell was observed. After opening hood, smoke was rising from behind the engine, but no fire. Oil was observed leaking underneath the vehicle and engine oil level had dropped below the recommended level. Oil was leaking onto the skid plate and exhaust which caused the smoke. Vehicle was driven back to the dealer for repairs. Dealer stated the oil pan seal was leaking and replaced the seal immediately at no charge to me.

- Milton, VT, USA