CarComplaints.com Notes: How many transmission complaints can a new vehicle really receive? You'd be surprised. Unless you're a 2015 Cherokee owner, then I bet you're not surprised at all.

2015 Jeep Cherokee drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2015 Jeep Cherokee:

2015 Jeep Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 4 of 18)

Sep 052014

Cherokee

9 speed transmission is unreliable and very rough to drive. Won't shift up when it needs to, on occasions slams into gear especially from 3rd to 4th jerking the vehicle when it does and downshifts roughly. The software has been updated twice but problems remain. Dealerships say that there is nothing more that can be done. This has been ongoing over the life of the vehicle.

- Paducah, KY, USA

Aug 152016

Cherokee

At low speeds, typically taking off from a red light, the transmission wobbles (seemingly in second or third gear.) the transmission lags horribly, sometimes causing unsafe situations where acceleration is a necessity. You can't predict the acceleration in this veichle. There is an RPM spike when downshifting causing the car to accelerate up to 15 kmh (even on cruise control) the transmission "clunked" as it was downshifting going uphill accelerating. Experiencing rough idle upon 1st start, and if in drive or reverse, if your foot is not firmly planted on the brake, the car will lunge forward (or backward depending on if in D or R.) respectively with the RPM. With this many complaints, you can't ignore this is an issue which needs to be dealt with.

- Everett, FL, USA

Aug 012016

Cherokee

The transmission is never in the correct gear. When slowing down and then accelerating (like when turning left), the transmission is still in gear 6 or 7. it should be in 2 or 3 so that the vehicle can accelerate. Judging when it is safe to make a turn is impossible.this frustrates me and people behind me. It is a also a safety issue. Also, when I am accelerating from being completely stopped, the vehicle is rarely in gear. After pressing on the gas for a while, it finally decides to shift out of neutral and you either go super slow because you are in a high gear, or squeal tires. Also a safety issue. I have taken it in twice. Jeep acknowledges what it does, but will not fix the problem. They say that it may not be functioning like I want it to, but it is functioning by Jeep design. Nine speed tranny for a 3.2L V6. It doesn't work. It is completely dangerous and ridiculous.

- Gilbert, AZ, USA

Mar 012015

Cherokee

I had to had my transmission replaced at 8000 miles, after a short period of the car shifting hard and slipping (less than 2 days). They tried to replace numerous parts that did not fix the issue. At 52000 miles I began having hard shifting issues again. The next day I got a service stop/start technology warning light. The next day the light came on again and had rough idol, service engine light came on. I took it to the dealer (key Chrysler, xenia, oh) they replace an ignition switch yet still can't figure out the problem. The shifting issues occur mostly during two scenarios, accelerating uphill, the transmission would slip and then shift hard. Second would be if you have to decelerate (slowing down for red light), then have to accelerate without stopping (red light turns green) the car would hard shift. This was the same issues that preceded taking the car to the dealer for service and car not working properly. The first incident caused the car to go into "safe mode" which nearly lead to me be involved in an accident as I was crossing an inetersection and was unable to drive more than 10-15 mph, creating a very unsafe situation. I put the approximate date (as best as I can remember) of the first situation below. The second occurred on 8/7/16 with around 52000 miles on car

- Xenia, OH, USA

Dec 282015

Cherokee

We own the 2015 Jeep Cherokee sport that self accelerates with great force and also has horrible lagging issues taking off from a stop. The lack of acceleration which happens randomly is very scary! I have taken my Jeep in several times which in most cases it is rarely driven and given back to me with barely any miles driven on it to have the problems present themselves. Our Jeep has been in for weeks at a time. Started lemon law but because the Jeep dealership hasn't recreated the problem (due to car sitting parked in their parking lot), Jeep will not acknowledge the very frightening problems. These alarming issues have not been resolved even with extended amounts of time at dealership in service department (5 days, 10 days, etc). Very scary!!!

- Redondo Beach, CA, USA

Jul 302016

Cherokee

I have a 2015 Cherokee trailhawk 3.6L V6 love it except for the issues. This is my very first and very last fca Jeep product I will own unless this vehicle somehow becomes reliable. At 3,860 miles while driving my power windows failed it will not go up or down and my blind spot monitor which I paid extra for and depend on for added safety failed at the same time. I was heading to work and my windows will not operate and is stuck in the down position in a parking lot for 8 hours hoping no one would try to break in my car. Now my vehicle is at 13,600 mile and I'm starting to experience all the other owners transmission failure issues, but mine haven't happen enough for the dealer to attempt to fix it. While driving, the transmission will get stuck in a low gear and will not change even after heavy acceleration and then after about 6 seconds it will suddenly change and lunge forward. Other times the transmission will get stuck in a high gear and when I try to accelerate it will not drop a gear to accelerate and my wife avoid highways because she is afraid the vehicle will stall on an entrance ramp while merging. Another issue is when reversing from a cold start and then putting the vehicle in drive the vehicle seems to get stuck in either neutral or reverse because it will not go forward until I really punch the accelerator and then it will lung forward. My last complaint about this vehicle is minor but still and issue. The power lift gate will sometimes get stuck and not open until I try it a few times.

- Lawrenceville, GA, USA

Aug 062016

Cherokee

First occurring in the fall of 2015, the power lift gate failed to latch. It would no longer respond to attempts to open it electronically, and instead remained unlatched. Any pressure placed against the lift gate from the inside raised the lift gate. We had it serviced, the problem seemed to be fixed, but as of 6 August 2016 we are experiencing the same problem again. This problem is unique and unrelated to the recall issued in December of 2015. With three dogs that ride in our vehicle with us, we absolutely cannot drive with a lift gate that doesn't close. Additionally, the engine lags dangerously behind acceleration sometimes, like when driving through an intersection. It will start to accelerate, then the transmission seems to disengage, and the vehicle loses power completely for a few seconds before the powertrain engages again. We've already almost been in two accidents because of this problem.

- Athens, GA, USA

Aug 032016

Cherokee

My 2015 Jeep Cherokee latitude shutters/shimmys upon take off, hesitates upon take off, sometimes requiring excessive throttle input to get going... at 20,000 miles the shifts from 2nd to 3rd gear have started to be extremely rough at times, especially when releasing pressure on the throttle at around 30-35 miles per hour, lunging and jerking so hard that passengers gasp and ask questions like "what the $#@% was that!?"... and while driving down significant inclines the vehicle will accelerate when you release the throttle, sometimes requiring a manual downshift to regain control of the vehicle

- Siler City, NC, USA

Aug 022016

Cherokee

Transmission shifting and reliability. We have the trailhawk version of the Cherokee. We are having issues of a clank/bang occasionally about 40-42mph; it can be felt in the floorboard. Sometimes we will get this in reverse when we start to move. The biggest complaint is when trying to leave a light or intersection and step on the gas nothing happens or it slowing starts to speed up or it takes off like a jackrabbit. It is not consistent. When leaving an intersection we are not confident in what type of reaction we are going to get. Will it move or maybe decide to move eventually. Also, normal acceleration seems spongy or bouncy. It is like pressing gas pedal down (slightly) then letting off; on off, on off, on off. It happens quickly until we reach 20 plus mph. If we select the sport mode, I have not noticed the spongy feeling on acceleration. I think that knowing how your car is going/supposed to respond when applying the brake or pressing the accelerator pedal is important the safety and confidence in driving one's vehicle. My wife has also experienced the parking brake reapplying when she is backing out of a parking spot at her work. The parking lot is on a slope. She backs up and when she tries to go forward it doesn't want to move. Then she looks and the parking brake is back on. She has to turn it off again to move. We also have been having issues with the rear hatch. The dealership has done the recall for the electric lift mechanism. We have issues when it won't open electrically and issues with it not latching. There was nothing in the cargo area to interfere with the hatch operation. We have addressed these issues especially with the transmission several times with the Jeep dealership and have left messages with no response to the messages. We currently have 20600 miles on the 2015 Cherokee.

- Cibolo, TX, USA

Jul 112016

Cherokee

Jeep shifts rough with a bang when going between 25 and 35 mph. Dealer updated software but it did not fix the problem. It happens randomly, usually about once every 30 miles.

- Freeland, MI, USA

Jul 012015

Cherokee

Transmission hesitates sometimes when taking off from stop, transmission does not want to go into gear until you come to a complete stop, when accelerating to 35 mph there is a hard shift into the gear for that speed, the car when accelerating does not want to accelerate and have almost been hit from the side several times, I have had car back to dealership to inspect at least 4 times. 2 times they have updated software for transmission, but only have seen minor improvements. Still having all the same issues as before.

- New Lebanon, OH, USA

Jun 242016

Cherokee

I was attempting to make a left turn on a busy city road when the car suddenly stopped dead without any warning signs. An oncoming tractor trailer had to swerve out of the way to avoid killing me. The aaa tow truck driver commented that it was the transmission that failed and it had set off the emergency brake. He noted that he had responded to the exact same scenario with a Jeep Cherokee the week before. The car has now been at the dealer for 21 days without any good results in sight. They have already replaced the new transmission which they installed admitting that the new transmission is faulty. I am aware of a class action suit for this same problem in their 2014 models and there will undoubtedly be one, if there isn't already, for the 2015 and 2016 models. They are not admitting the problem and will not admit the problem until there are several fatalities. Since I do not plan to be among them, I want a refund, not another piece of junk.

- Allentown, PA, USA

Aug 012015

Cherokee

Transmission problems. Transmission was replaced when I had 4,000 miles on the car. I purchased the Jeep new its the trail hawk addition. Now I have 30,000 miles on it and the transmission is just terrible (even after the transmission was replaced it never ran right). It bucks when it shifts, it doesn't downshift fast enough. If I am stopping at a red light and I have not come to a complete stop and the light turns green and I go from the brake to the gas it hesitates and jerks like the car was 30 years old and had 200,000+ miles on the transmission. I am half scared to drive at night alone. I'm currently going thru a divorce and do not know what I would do if the car left me sit in an unfamiliar area. I purchase new cars so I do not have to worry about breaking down and I understand any car new or old can break down but its less likely a new car will then an older car. Jeep needs to fix this problem.

- Ephrata, PA, USA

Jan 132015

Cherokee

When starting out and pressing lightly on gas pedal engine causes the car to rock side to side. Another and even bigger problem occurs when at a stop and preparing to enter flow of traffic. While lightly pressing gas pedal the car slightly revs but does not move, then accelerates excessively causing the tires to screech. This has caused us to narrowly miss getting hit by on coming traffic. Then because of the excessive acceleration you have very little time to correct your steering. We were not told of this ongoing problem with this model of engine when we purchased the car new. Even though they knew of the problem in 2013. That is deception. So far we have had the software flashed 2 times and will pursue legal help with Ohio lemon law if problem is not resolved. This could cause serious harm or death if neglected. Afraid to drive an unsafe vehicle.

- Kirtland, OH, USA

Jan 012015

Cherokee

I have had the vehicle in several times for check engine light. I has been on for the entire time I have had it. They have said it was intake manifold bolts loose and several program updates. This last time they said it was the fuel causing the problem. I have used 5 different fuels and the light stays on. There has been several problems with engine surging when I put it in reverse and at a stop light.

- Xenia, OH, USA

Dec 242015

Cherokee

We purchased our 2015 Jeep Cherokee new and within a few months of driving the Jeep we started to notice what I would call horrible lag issues. The car would drive jerky and when the car was at a stop and you applied the gas to go, it would seem like it wasn't getting the gas and will have a hard time accelerating. We took the car in and they detected the problem and said they did a computer update. Shortly after, the Jeep started a very scary self acceleration where the car would accelerate on its own and take off without applying gas or having foot on gas pedal. The Jeep would lunge so violently and it was hard to make it stop and tried to lunge thru the braking. I have taken the car back it several times as both of these issues happen and makes it very dangerous to drive. My daughter was almost in a horrible collision with a large truck and rear ended because the car was lagging so bad making a right hand turn from a red light. Thankfully the truck was able to swerve around us and we didn't get hit. We initiated the lemon law on this Jeep as it is too dangerous to drive. The Jeep has been in for servicing many times and the problem has still not been resolved. I have googled this online and found other Jeep owners with exact frightening concerns. Very upsetting and dangerous. I have the documentation for all the times the car has been to service for this and they understand the problem and said they have other Jeep with same concerns.

- Redondo Beach, CA, USA

Mar 242016

Cherokee

Vehicle has jerky, harsh shifts in lower gears went accelerating or turning. It has made the tires churp a few times shifting into lower gears when accelerating or turning. Sometimes hangs out in 2nd or 3rd gears and will not shift for 4 to 5 seconds. When shifting from park to drive, it sometimes takes 3 to 4 seconds for drive to engage. When at cruising speed, it runs at 1000 to 1200 RPM causing it to vibrate and shake because it won't downshift when I give it gas. Sometimes when starting the vehicle I'll shift from park to drive and it won't engage and tell me to "shift to P then desired gear". been to dealer 2 separate times for software updates, 3rd time was told that's just how the vehicle runs, 4th time replaced the valve body on the transmission twice because the first one didn't work, 5th time they replaced the whole transmission, and 6th time was told that is just how the vehicle runs again. None of this "fixes" have done anything to make it any better. With all these issues, this is a very unsafe vehicle to drive. It's only a matter of time before this vehicle is the cause of a accident.

- Dallas Center, IA, USA

May 122015

Cherokee

Trans wants to make the cars speed up when trying to slow down. Also when stepping on gas pedal the Jeep has a lifting feeling like the engine mounts are broken. Something not right with engine and or trans. The dealer told no problems found. But I now see some people are coming forward talk about same issue I am having?

- Whiting, NJ, USA

Jun 272016

Cherokee

The transmission doesn't downshift properly. If you don't stop completely, when you try to accelerate, it feels like the transmission slips then is downshifts into first. They Jeep then lurches forward. It can be hard to control when turning. The dealership told me the it's functioning as designed.

- Scotia, NY, USA

Jul 232015

Cherokee

I have been consistently having transmission issues with my Jeep Cherokee 15' to include but not limited to: Jumpy, lurching and rough shifting during acceleration and deceleration, inconsistent acceleration, grinding/clicking noises during automatic shifting and delayed shifting. The rough shifting, lurching and jumpiness is noticeable on city streets and at low speeds in my parking garage. The delayed shifting has happened on city streets. The inconsistent acceleration is noticeable at highway speeds along with erratic shifting patterns that are unpredictable. The scariest thing about this transmission is its tendency to lurch forward when I try to park my car, when I am stopped at a red light or when I start my car and head out of my parking garage.

- Huntington Beach, CA, USA