Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: How many transmission complaints can a new vehicle really receive? You'd be surprised. Unless you're a 2015 Cherokee owner, then I bet you're not surprised at all.

2015 Jeep Cherokee drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2015 Jeep Cherokee:

2015 Jeep Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 6 of 17)

Aug 102015

Accelerates with application of brake while in motion turning. Vehicle accelerates on its own Accord, while in motion. Stalled while moving forward in traffic. Forward lunging. Motor runs very rough. Transmission shifts roughly. Manual shift does not allow for manual shifting. Mileage 16/18 city 22/24 highway which is below ad limits of up to 30mpg. This was a major purchasing point for us. Motor whines on passenger side. Smell burning anti-freeze. A/C blows only hot air. Floor fan on passenger side and rear seat fan barely operate or are non-functional. Driver and passenger seats along with visors threads falling apart (seats to be replaced if they ever come in, it has been three (3) months waiting for parts). Seal above rear hatch falling off - replaced and fell off again. Radio has very poor reception. No cd or dvd player. Inside of Jeep trailhawk sounds like a city bus - everything sounds loose - this developed after the entire vehicle had been taken apart for numerous repairs. This vehicle is one lunge away from seriously injuring or worse, one or more parties.

- Usaf Academy, CO, USA

Mar 132016

Vehicle regularly has delayed shifting, loss of acceleration, etc. During regular traffic conditions. This has been very dangerous on multiple occasions during traffic merges and crossings with near collisions. The transmission itself in the new Cherokee is an overly complicated and poorly performing product that fca and its dealers refuse to fix. It's only a matter of time until my Cherokee's transmission fails and/or causes an accident.

- Austin, TX, USA

Mar 012016

My 2015 Jeep Cherokee has been having transmission problems since I bought the vehicle in Nov '14. When coming to a stop sign, the transmission would jump into lower gear causing the vehicle to lunge forward. However, more dangerously, upon coming to a near stop and accelerating, the transmission will very sluggishly move the vehicle forward, then rapidly accelerate causing the tires to break traction and "peel out". I have nearly been in four accidents because of this issue, two because the transmission wouldn't accelerate, and the other two because I almost lost control of the vehicle as the front tires spun out of control. This is completely unacceptable and is a clear safety hazard. I have had my Jeep at a dealership for warranty service on this matter twice now, with absolutely zero corrective actions. On both occasions, they "updated the transmission software" but the problem still existed. Today, while driving home from work, I attempted a left hand turn with no oncoming traffic. The transmission, with the engine at 2,500 rpms, very slowly moved the vehicle, then it spun out the front tires almost colliding me with a school bus waiting to make a right turn. This transmission is dangerous, Jeep does not have an adequate fix to this problem, and my vehicle warranty is about to expire. I could care less about the expiration, I would be willing to pay several thousand dollars to fix this issue, but it doesn't appear that Jeep has an adequate fix to the problem.

- Lancaster, CA, USA

Apr 012015

Have had serious transmission issues since approx. 1800 miles. Have had transmission "flashed" numerous times. It gets worse each time. Stalls, won't accelerate, hangs in gear, hesitates, jerks, jumps, if trying to get into traffic or go across a busy road, you never know if it is going to go or not. Very dangerous. I have owned over 100 vehicles (age 71) and this is the worse transmission I have ever had. Jeep has no fix for the problem., so I was told by dealership personnel. The problem was evident when the vehicle was introduced and held up the initial introduction. After 3 years still do not know what to do. The 2106's have the same problems. Very dangerous situation!!!

- Maryville, TN, USA

Feb 222016

Since purchasing this vehicle, the transmission is very sluggish. When attempting to accelerate from a yield (not full stop) the transmission will refuse to engage for up to 3 seconds. When it does engage, it jerks and causes the vehicle to lunge.

- Sherwood, AR, USA

Mar 012015

The transmission in this car has serious problems which render the car unpredictable and unsafe. On leaving from a signal after a full stop there is no response after stepping on the accelerator - the car does not move and then suddenly lurches forward. This happens frequently but not always. Also, leaving from a full stop, sometimes the vehicle takes right off and then bogs down completely which is very hazardous when in oncoming traffic or turning a corner. In addition stepping on the accelerator while on the road to pass a car there is often no response from the transmission and then suddenly the transmission takes hold. Again, frequent but not all the time. On putting the car into reverse the rear end and transmission have a load banging clunk and then take hold with a lurch. On a downslope there is no slowing of the vehicle via the transmission and the brakes have to constantly be applied. Between 20 40 mph the vehicle often speeds up when we take our foot off of the accelerator. The transmission is completely unpredictable making it totally unsafe to operate the vehicle dependably. We have taken our Jeep into the dealer 6 times but they are unable to make any improvement and in fact all issues are getting more frequent and pronounced.

- Gardnerville, NV, USA

Feb 012016

Parked vehicle at my place of business, got out, walked inside. While inside I heard a thump, when I opened the door to go back outside the vehicle was two feet fromm the door and the bumper up against a propane tank. The vehicle was stationary when I got out and was for a few minutes, I know this because I have cctv camera video. The vehicle bumper has damage.

- Rutland Town, VT, USA

Dec 122014

2015 Jeep Cherokee latitude. Experiencing lunging "jolt" when gas pedal is "carefully" used especially after a stop. Slight but noticeable acceleration while coasting or braking. Periodic unusual revving in lower gears while accelerating. Vehicle taken to the dealership for "flash" and multiple re-assessment but dealer states vehicle performs as "designed". dealership states multiple complaints for the same reason by other customers. Case workers from fca offered transmission warranty extension for life but retracted offer after it was found we have already purchased extended warranty. Case worker then offered 2 years worth of oil changes. The offer was refused so complaint has been closed for the second time.

- Louisville, OH, USA

Mar 032015

Transmission shifts very rough when shifting from first to second. Sometimes the whole vehicle which shake when it shifts.

- Buckhannon, WV, USA

Sep 222015

Under acceleration from a stop (either straight line or making a right hand turn) the rpms increase before the vehicle responds. When it does, the vehicle lunges forward unpredictably. During manual shifting and braking (while in motion) the rpms shoot up to before transmission engages 4th gear when downshifting from 5th causing a momentary freewheeling scenario. During acceleration from about 10-15 mph the vehicle once again increases rpms and then lunges forward. The vehicle performs hard shifting between gears while in motion. At freeway speeds the transmission may not downshift/ respond or accelerate for 3-4 seconds. When reversing the the same lunging scenario occurs however it is less predicable as reverse gear is taller. Overall performance is sporadic and unpredictable.

- Ventura, CA, USA

Dec 202015

Rmp's spike when trying to stop lunging vehicle forward, coasting without cruise control on interstate at 70 vehicle RPM's jumped up causing it to increase speed lunging forward to 80 mph as if accelerator is pushed, letting off gas to slow down vehicle will lunge forward as if you were applying gas and RPM's jump up, if foot isn't on break you would hit someone, very unsafe to drive and has already almost caused me to hit someone 4 times. Doesn't do it all the time it and is intermittent. Problem has occurred approximately 6 times. Has been to dealer over 30 days and only has 5,000 miles on it. They say can't duplicate the problem. Very unsafe to drive and no one wants to fix problem. Started happing at 2,000 miles.

- Lexington, NC, USA

Jan 152016

The contact owns a 2015 Jeep Cherokee. While driving 60 mph, the vehicle would not change gears when prompted and would not accelerate. In addition, there was an odor of burning rubber and a clicking noise from the transmission. The dealer could not duplicate the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 7,000.

- Paramount, CA, USA

Jun 262015

I was backing up my daughters driveway. Her driveway is a little steep and when I went to give the Jeep more gas the rpms dropped from 1500 to idle and then back to 1500 rpms really quick, it did this a couple times. The dog ended up on the floor of the car, friends standing outside the car though I didn't know how to drive. I finally had to turn the Jeep around and go up her driveway in the forward direction. We went out to eat later and when I came back I tried backing up her driveway again and it did the same thing. I took the Jeep into the dealer on 6/29/15 with 990 miles on it. The dealer updated the PCM and tcm and retested it but could not get it to fail. It failed again about 3 months later on labor day weekend, 2015. Again backing up my daughters driveway. I contacted the Jeep service manager and he said they probably can't fix it if it doesn't set a code. (great) the Jeep hasn't failed backing up again but it did fail on the highway at 65 miles per hour completely shutting down and not restarting. (see complaint #10819212) like other Jeep owners I've noticed the Jeep stays in third gear to long at low speed, especially if you have to make a left turn in front of on coming traffic. I've resorted to down shifting the transmission myself so I can have some power to make the turn without getting hit. ( note to Chrysler, I'm a first time Jeep buyer, keep doing nothing about the engine and transmission problems and you can find your Jeep at a Ford or Chevy dealership.......real soon).

- Ulster Park, NY, USA

Jan 132016

My transmission has been slipping since I purchased the vehicle a year ago, (12-28-15) appx, they said they fixed the problem, but it has recently became worse that it was originally. When I'm stopped and then begin to start going again the car hesitates for about 3-5 seconds then it jerks and goes. It also seems to downshift on its own or not at all.

- East Liverpool, OH, USA

Sep 252015

There have been several instances of slow response from the transmission. Heading South at a highway intersection where cross traffic does not stop, I waited at the stop sign until traffic was clear to the East. I pressed the accelerator and didn't get much response until traffic was close enough that I debated about not crossing and the car suddenly moved into the lanes of traffic. I was able to cross to the divider before being broadsided because traffic slowed for me. Another incident involves pulling out of my driveway. I live on a major highway so I am very cautious when I pull out. As I turned right from my driveway my car didn't do more than creep along even though it had gone down the drive just fine. I got the RPM up to 6 on the gauge (7 is red) when it suddenly "caught" and took off. A car that had been a long distance back came very close to rear-ending me. On another occasion as I pulled up behind a car at a light, my car was stopping and then suddenly lurched forward before coming to a complete stop. I hadn't stopped braking or pushed the accelerator. I would have hit the car in front of me if I hadn't been leaving a fair amount of room between us. The variability and unpredictability of this car is what makes it so dangerous. It has small issues like difficulty climbing hills on occasion or jumping when it shifts during normal driving but I have changed my routes (choose stoplights to cross highways) and driving style (leave lots of room between it and other cars) to accommodate daily inconvenience.

- Carl Junction, MO, USA

May 062015

Cherokee 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2015 Jeep Cherokee. The contact stated that the vehicle shifted into third gear and downshifted to the next gear on its own. The vehicle also jerked while driving 30 mph without warning. In addition, when the accelerator pedal was engaged, the vehicle failed to accelerate. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The contact stated that the transmission control module was updated. The manufacturer was notified of the failures. The failure mileage was 3,200....updated 02/03/16 the consumer stated the dealer replaced the transmission control and wiring harness. The consumer stated the vehicle was a little better, but there was still some hard shifting and the down shifting from 5th to 1st was slow and sometimes non-existent. Updated 02/09/16

- Escondido, CA, USA

Nov 172015

Dangerous 2015 Jeep Cherokee latitude with 853 miles. First week of ownership I noticed a very odd shifting were the Jeep would lung forward from 1st to 2nd gear at about 5mph, hard shifts, and was struggling to find gears at 35-40mph along with a nonresponsive gas pedal that spooked me during many acceleration instances of slow speeds and highway speeds. Took into the dealership where I bought it from and explained what was being experienced, with the back up camera being saturated with light, and gas door that was not aligned with the body. They checked for codes but a service light never appeared. Was told there were updates that need to be installed. After the update, which I assumed was a power train update for the transmission. Left dealership and it all started happening again with the transmission. So was told by a service rep need to let the transmission learn my driving habits whith no harsh acceleration because of the 350 mile breakin period. Drove for a while too see if it would smooth out. Nope it didn't it started having an odd feeling when put in drive and moving forward like the clutchs in the transmission were slipping which gives the sensation of wobble vibrration. Returned it back to the dealership again for second time due to when in the mid del of an intersection while making a left turn with appropriate throttle applied it suddenly loss power with traffic coming from opposite direction so I had to wot the gas pedal to get it to move then it responded with me over accelerating into a turn and immediately got off the gas and had to apply brake pressure and control steering. It happended quiet a few times before I finally got frustrated with it and returned to dealer for service 3rd time. Was told couldn't duplicate, so they can't fix it. Filed complaint with fca for remedy. This Jeep makes me fear driving it.

- Arlington, TX, USA

Jun 082015

Error light comes on took to dealership at 6000 miles, replaced transmission, have had multiple shifting issues and Chrysler refuses to fix the problem. Really discouraged and frustrated with Chrysler lack of response.

- Gloversville, NY, USA

Jan 062016

I noticed that when the automatic transmission would downshift from 5th to 4th gear, the car would lurch forward and begin to accelerate even when my foot was not on the pedal. Soon afterward the transmission light came on. Took it in on two separate occasions with no results. After the third service they replaced the entire transmission. When I picked my car up the lurching from 5th to 4th gear was gone, but a new and more aggressive lurch takes place every time it shifts from 2nd to 1st. I've also noticed what appears to be a vibration that was not present before the new transmission. After this 3rd service I decided to file a lemon law report

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Nov 012015

Transmission hard shifts when decreasing speed reaches just under 20 mph. The thunk is loud and hard enough to momentarily shake the Jeep. This model was not supposed to be affected by the software issues affecting other production runs, bu it is clearly present. I took the vehicle to the dealership and they said they reset the shift points. Now the transition thunks coming from 4th into 3rd. The initial complaint was 3rd into 2nd. This happens the majority of downshifts. If the auto-engine off switch is engaged (auto-off disabled) the ratio of hard shifts to clean shifts improves by about 20%. this appears to be an unreported software issue. The dealership is telling me that if there is no error code there is nothing they will do, but there is certainly a safety issue going on here. The force of these hard shifts are putting enormous strain on the power train.

- Baltimore, MD, USA