CarComplaints.com Notes: How many transmission complaints can a new vehicle really receive? You'd be surprised. Unless you're a 2015 Cherokee owner, then I bet you're not surprised at all.

2015 Jeep Cherokee drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2015 Jeep Cherokee:

2015 Jeep Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 6 of 18)

Apr 052016

Cherokee

Intermittent rough shifting, slamming into gear during upshift from 2nd to 3rd gear. Happens randomly, from moving in a parking lot at 10mph to passing on the interstate. The gear slam is so intense it feels like I've been rear-ended.

- Panama City, FL, USA

Mar 022015

Cherokee

Transmission will intermittently shift erratic. Starting out from a stop it will have a difficult time starting to move with the accelerator pressed, then 1 or 2 seconds later it will down sift to first gear causing the vehicle to lurch forward in an uncontrolled manner. I have ended up in the wrong lane because of this. Also at intersections it causes confusion when trying to go in turn with other vehicles because they think your yielding when the vehicle won't move but then it lurches abruptly into a new collision.

- Munhall, PA, USA

Dec 012014

Cherokee

I am at a stop sign with cross traffic that doesn┐T stop, with a mph limit of 50, there's a gap big enough for me to go through the intersection. I put my foot on the gas pedal, Jeep slowly advances forward but not engaging into the correct gear, it's starting out in 3rd gear! when it should be shifted into 1st, coasting through these lanes of oncoming traffic, I am rocking back & forth in my seat saying ┐come on Jeep, shift! let's go!┐ as I look to my left & right & see cars getting closer to me, my heart beats a little quicker at this point, especially when my 2 year old son is in the car with me. Finally half way through the intersection Jeep drops down hard into1st gear from 3rd gear & boom we are off, whiplash, sounds of a transmission fallen to the ground, heart beating so fast it's going to explode but we get across the road in the nick of time of the oncoming traffic! same scenario has happened several other times, I could go on with stories but I think you get the picture.this happens so much that I don┐T know what to do.the dealership that I have gone to, of course, can't duplicate my issue but they're told that this is a common complaint they've been receiving from other Cherokee owners. I've also had the software updates done. I did get a recall notice for possible incorrect info. In the user guide/owner's manual regarding flat towing vehicles which may result in vehicle shake while flat towing over rough roads.this is recalled but a transmission issue isn┐T? Jeep claims that they depend on the satisfaction of their customers for the success of their business & are constantly monitoring the quality of their products & looking for ways to improve their vehicles, even after they are sold. I am not asking for anything except for this issue to be resolved. I know Jeep has acknowledged this issue but I would like to have Jeep come up with a solution.

- Washougal, WA, USA

Aug 242015

Cherokee

This vehicle does not shift properly. It has been through multiple reprogram and relearn events for the transmission. It does not know how to shift down from 3rd gear at a rolling stop, and stays stuck in third gear upon acceleration. Moving into traffic, this causes a concern, as the vehicle is not accelerating properly. This causes the driver to floor the accelerator, which causes a high RPM, and clunky shift to 1st gear. Then the car pulls away with a lot of torque steer and a jerking motion. This occurs on a inclined driveway as well, clunking into 1st gear from 3rd. It is an unsafe transmission. It does not have a predictable driveline response.

- Cary, IL, USA

Jun 152015

Cherokee

Took vehicle in for first oil change after purchasing it in Jan 2015 and was told I needed to have the transmission replaced. Transmission was replaced and since then I have experienced long delays in acceleration and extremely hard shifts. These are intermittent, but happen more often than not. Hard shifts are mostly experienced on the lower gears (1-4), and can be violent at lower speeds or when shifting from reverse to drive (or the opposite). The 4WD unavailable light came on shortly after the transmission was replaced, on a couple of occasions (all while driving). Have taken the vehicle to the dealership multiple times and have been told they can find nothing wrong and that's normal transmission behavior. I am now dealing with the hard shifts and acceleration lag on a daily basis.

- Crofton, MD, USA

Feb 122016

Cherokee

While driving at highway speeds, the transmission would not shift from 7th gear.pulled over and turned the car off for a few minutes. When restating the car, problem went away, but then happened again in the same situation 20 minutes later. Took it immediately to the dealer and they re-flashed tcm & PCM and did a quick learn. All seemed good, but a few weeks later, the car started hard shifting in low gears and reverse. When coming to a slow stop and accelerating, the car will take a few seconds to get the RPM's up and then lunge forward as it catches the gear. Went back to the dealer and they did the same as before, tcm, PCM and quick learn. A few days later, the same problem started happening again. Dealership says all software is up to date and have no other ideas to fix the issue. Definitely a safety concern, especially when making left turns from close to a stop (ie. Left turn yield lights).

- El Cajon, CA, USA

Oct 192015

Cherokee

Purchased vehicle 1/2015 at 8000 miles took in for oil change, update for recall on radio and software update for transmission due to shifting hard. Was told if update on transmission did not take would need a new transmission. When slowing down I have to come to a complete stop and wait for car to drop into first gear before accelerating. If I don't and just yield between 10mph and 2mph and try accelerate car hesitates about 5 seconds before it moves forward. This is very scary when trying to merge onto a highway. If I'm on on ramp and have to stop I nearly get rear-ended and if I merge and car hesitates cars are quickly moving to other lane to avoid hitting

- Clarks Summit, PA, USA

Nov 012014

Cherokee

The transmission lunges won't shift right bangs, sometimes the RPM will raise quite a bit then bang into gear it jurky when shifting sometimes the RPM will raise to almost 3000 befor shifting.the Jeep has 11500 miles on it I had the Jeep into the dealer after first couple months of ownership I have had it to the dealer about 4 or 5 times for this problem last Monday was the last time right now I have a Jeep customer rep and she wants me to take it back in Wednesday May 18 to have a tech rid along again the dealer says they know about the problems but their is nothing they can do until Chrysler has fixes for the transmission. This vehicle is not safe.

- Sylvania, OH, USA

Jan 082015

Cherokee

Have had several transmission issues and I feel unsafe in my vehicle. Transmission shakes when accelerating from a low gear; transmission sticks when trying to accelerating (leaving me in dangerous traffic situations); transmission shift hard when driving in the city.

- Englewood, CO, USA

Apr 052016

Cherokee

The contact owns a 2015 Jeep Cherokee. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 25 mph, the transmission slipped gears violently. The failure became progressively worst. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and was being diagnosed. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 26,000.

- Livingston, NJ, USA

Jan 052015

Cherokee

Transmission shifting issues. Shifting out of a standstill through the first few gears is extremely rough. Occasional lurching during downshifting. Spent 6 weeks at dealership and was told there was nothing wrong "that's just how a 9speed transmission feels". cannot be correct. This feels unresponsive and dangerous at times. Very unhappy. Issue has been ongoing since the car was purchased in Dec. 2014

- Corpus Christi, TX, USA

Apr 242016

Cherokee

The contact owns a 2015 Jeep Cherokee. The contact stated that while parked and the engine turned off, the vehicle rolled independently over a hill and jumped the curb and crashed into a ditch. The vehicle was occupied with a front seat passenger, who sustained injuries to both legs and neck that required medical attention. A police report was filed. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where the front end damages were repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 2,891. Updated 08/02/16

- Grantsville, WV, USA

Apr 212016

Cherokee

The transmission jerks sometimes upon starting; loses power at times going up hill; seems to decelerate or be out of the right gear. It may also lose power when making a turn into traffic when you put the foot on the accelerator. It does not seem to shift gears smoothly at times. It is scary when you are trying to accelerate and it loses power.

- Big Bear Lake, CA, USA

Jul 162015

Cherokee

Vehicle surges forward after a stop at numerous & unpredictable times since purchase. This is very dangerous! transmission has been replaced & continues to do this. There is not any predictability as to when this will occur. Have had vehicle in for service 6 times & they were 'unable to duplicate concern'. I would not be bringing my vehicle in if I didn't have a concern! I have never had as many issues with a new vehicle as I have had with this one! vehicle lurches/jerks/rocks when shifting from forward to reverse & reverse to forward--doesn't always engage immediately. Vehicle has revved with acceleration, would not go forward & then suddenly surged forward several times. Pulls to the right on level surface. Vehicle rolls forward after braking as brakes don't always grab. After a stop, car rolls forward. Many issues with radio jumping around on own & skipping preset stations, volume control, & speakers have gone in & out at random. Hands free cell phone doesn't always work. Navigation screen has gone blank/black while car still running. I have had a very loud alarm go on from navigation screen for unknown reason. I received an assembly 'ignition on' warning after I turned car off. Car wouldn't start after 3 tries, then started. As you can see, the one consistent thing is the surging forward, but always something new & different, also.

- Greenfield, WI, USA

Apr 152016

Cherokee

The vehicle has had shifting issues. While driving it will begin to jerk like it wants to shift on its own. The most recent and terrifying incident was today as I was attempting to cross four lanes of highway. The vehicle was not wanting to shift or accelerate and it was jerking again. I've taken it in once before for this issue and the dealership can not find anything wrong because they can not duplicate the codes. This is a serious safety concern for all but especially myself, as I have to cross this highway daily.

- Sperry, OK, USA

Feb 012016

Cherokee

Car software was updated, now when my car does not shift going up hills, it loses power making a turn from a stopped position, and it lunges occasionally when stopping in traffic.

- Pottsville, PA, USA

Mar 022016

Cherokee

We have had our Jeep into dealer 4 times now for the transmission not being right. The first time with 5500 miles on it. It has issues with hesitation when trying to get on free way. Sometimes it will get up to speed other times it has a delay very scary. 8 have also experienced it rev out 3600 RPM for no reason. It also has a delay in shifting from a stop on a hill. When you give it gas it goes but not before it lunges forward. Vehicle shift rough or lunges intermittent that what is so scary about this vehicle you have no idea when it is going to drive properly. Each time at the dealer they were un able to verify problem until this last time. Tech went on test drive and when merging on freeway did experience hesitation. Also service advisor experienced the lunging when he pulled vehicle up for us. However his experience doesn't matter since he is not a tech.

- Brentwood, CA, USA

Apr 062016

Cherokee

Problem 1: parked car in garage - went to restart & put in reverse numerous error messages which said cannot engage 4WD, check engine, check transmission; restart and put in reverse again; each time I restarted as instructed and put in reverse transmission jerked hard. Started 3 times each time the same response. Called dealer who sent 2 mechanics - taken to dealership; car now needs new transmission. Problem 2: horn goes off for no apparent reason while driving. Does not stop when vehicle shuts off. Serviced three times by dealership (computer updates and part). Don't know if last fix worked since the car is now disabled due to transmission.

- Southold, NY, USA

Apr 102016

Cherokee

My Cherokee has never driven 100% since the first day I got it. It hesitates and jerks forward when initially accelerating, jerks to a stop or when parking and shakes when initially starting the car and vibrates. Over the last 6 months the car has completely died on me twice, the second time being just this morning. It is a brand new car; there is no reasonable explanation as to why this is happening other than the new 9 speed transmissions that Chrysler produced are insufficient and have not been thoroughly tested before putting consumers behind the wheel. The cars battery light flashed on my dashboard and then the car slowed to a stop and completely cut off. The dash told me to put my car in park and then shift back to drive but I couldn't do anything. There is no way the battery or engine is an issue so I have no idea what is causing this problem other than a faulty computer in the car. I have had the software updated and flashed and yet here we are again having the same problem that seems to puzzle the service department. They have given me a laundry list of bologna reasonings as to why the car drives the way it does and why this and that are happening but yet no fix for them. It is absolutely insane to me that because there have been no significant injuries or deaths due to these transmission issues that no recall or anything has been released. I have done my fair share of research on transmission issues in the 2015 Cherokee and have sadly found 100's of complaints from consumers yet still no solid fix or answer to these peoples problems. How Chrysler is getting away with this blows my mind. These cars are virtually death traps just waiting to happen. I don't feel safe driving this car anymore and something needs to be done.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Feb 152016

Cherokee

From a stop, you push gas with no respose, then you reach a point where it finally takes off, this has caused other drivers to brake when making a turn into their lanes. While driving, and attempting to pass, you push on the gas, no response until you reach the point where it takes off. Sometimes I have to return to my lane because traffic has reached me causing unsafe condition, and causing others in that lane to brake to avoide hitting me. While highway driving, the tranny rumbles and is sluggish to accerlerate, seems to be 7th gear, you keep pushing pedal down until you are finally shifted into passing gear. When putting in park, a second goes by and you hear a loud clunk. Dealer reports these issues to be normal for the 9 speed tranny, we did software update. No change! sometimes when you take your foot off the gas, the car accerates on its own.... almost like it down shifted and the gear ratio made it take off. This has caused me to almost rear end others. Kbb has many similar complaints. Noticed all of these issue after owning the vehicle for 3 months, about 4K miles on the vehicle.

- South Amboy, NJ, USA