CarComplaints.com Notes: How many transmission complaints can a new vehicle really receive? You'd be surprised. Unless you're a 2015 Cherokee owner, then I bet you're not surprised at all.

2015 Jeep Cherokee engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2015 Jeep Cherokee:

2015 Jeep Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 5 of 6)

Jun 262015

Cherokee

Less than 90 days after buying a new Jeep Cherokee I watched it towed away B/C it was un-driveable. It began in the morning when the gears were not shifting appropriately. Then a few hours later, the engine would rev, and car would speed up, even though I wasn't pushing gas pedal. Then reverse failed. Then the parking brake light came on. Finally, it stopped shifting up -- I had to floor it to go 5 miles an hour. I ultimately had to coast home.....updated 11/02/15

- Washington, DC, USA

Jun 272015

Cherokee

Had car for 2 weeks, 490 miles and transmission light went on, could not reverse, when putting car in drive car made terrible noise and jumped, smelled a burning smell. Brought to service said probably need a new transmission. Will not have car for at least a week. So disappointed, and am scared even to drive the car when I do get it back.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Jun 152015

Cherokee

My transmission keeps slipping on our brand new Cherokee we saved up for! engine light keeps coming on and it jerks a lot when trying to slow down. Getting into to car dealer asap! I'm so upset and scared to drive my two little kids in this car now that I think I know what the issue is. Whether they fix this or not. I don't trust this car now.

- Washington, IL, USA

Jun 102015

Cherokee

While driving 55mph check engine lite along with stop/start lite came on and vehicle rapidly decelerated from 55mph to 30mph causing transmission to over heat which ultimately lead to transmission replacement on a new 2015 Jeep,

- Mt Morris, NY, USA

May 282015

Cherokee

I went out to start my car at around 8:40am on May 28. When I pushed the button to start it, I heard a pop followed by smoke. I thought maybe something was under the car so I backed up the car approximately 2 feet and then turned it off. I went inside to get my husband, he came out and opened the hood and I tried to start it again. It started right up but there immediately was smoke and fire coming from the front of the car on the passenger side. I turned the car right off after maybe 5 or 6 seconds. I had a meeting to get to so I left in my husband's car. When I got to work, a retired fire fighter suggested that I call the norwich township fire department. Brian beach came to inspect the car. Because of all of the plastic coverings, it was very hard to see anything that was wrong other than melted plastic fittings. I had the car towed (at my expense) to byers on hamilton road. Today, I spoke with the service manager, ron brown, who said that he didn't think that the car caught on fire. He feels that the tensioner belt broke and that is why I smelled burned rubber and there was so much smoke. Either way, this is a brand new car and shouldn't be having any issues.

- Hilliard, OH, USA

Apr 282015

Cherokee

I am writing to express a "safety issue" relating to the push button start our new vehicle. While we are very happy with our vehicle, we recently had a scare with it. Both my husband and I are hearing impaired & I feel it is a safety risk to have a push button start vehicle as number one we park our Jeep in our attached garage. It can be easy to forget to push the engine off & it has happened once already and we were lucky to catch it within several minutes due to going back out to the garage to get something. We do have a remote start on our vehicle as well. When we recently went on vacation, due to being in a rush the vehicle was not turned off & it appears to have ran until it ran out of gas. It did start when we arrived back a week later, but we did not make it to the gas station before it ran completely out of gas. Why can't the engine shut completely down if the key fob is more than five or ten feet away from the vehicle" (or similar with the remote start being within so many feet to start, why not also shut down as well as start")

- Glenford, OH, USA

Apr 162015

Cherokee

Multiple incidents of when applying brakes, the tachometer would increase as the Jeep down shifted and the Jeep would leap forward. Increase in speed. Delays in the ignition switch when starting. When applying the gas, the Jeep would have a 5 - 10 second delay in response and slow down instead of increasing the speed. As days past, the incidents with the Jeep leaping forward when applying the brake got worse and it got to be dangerous to drive. Almost rear ended a few people. Had to have Jeep towed to a dealership because it was unsafe to drive. The computer upgrade that came out in February of this year was not applied to this Jeep before it was sold to me.

- Rockport, ME, USA

Apr 152015

Cherokee

Transmission has always been with problems, it has been in service for 3 times and for the last one has been there for 3 weeks, I'm still waiting for a solution. Vehicle is at the dealer waiting for a new transmission. I saw all the stories online about the transmission issues in this vehicle and decided I should also report my experience.

- El Paso, TX, USA

May 052015

Cherokee

As I was driving on the highway (cruise control), I raised my right knee which accidentally bumped the ignition key which turned the car off. I turned to key to on, but no help, then start position, again no help. I then put the trans in neutral and was able to restart the engine. However, I could not shift back into drive. I had to pull off the highway, come to a complete stop before I could shift into drive. Fortunately I was on a two lane highway where I could safely pull off to the side of the road. Had I been in one of the middle lanes of I-5 near seattle, this could have caused a serious accident (me getting rear ended). Note that I able to duplicate this problem later.

- Seabeck, WA, USA

May 072015

Cherokee

I was moving very slowly in the second from right lane on route 287 in New Jersey. In my attempt to change into the far right lane to be in my exit lane I accelerated heavily. The engine surged and made noise appropriate for the situation but did not actually engage in moving the vehicle for approximately 1-3 seconds. This could have caused a serious accident. Jeep dealership has been advised. Thank you.

- Mount Arlington, NJ, USA

May 032015

Cherokee

I purchased a Jeep Cherokee 2015 on May 1st and started having trouble with the start/stop system on the 3rd. A passenger and I were coming to a stop and the vehicle completely shut off and stopped running. The control system, within the driver's panel, flashed start/stop system is unavailable, service start/stop system. I had to restart the car in the middle of the highway. It did this three times before we got home. The engine light also came on at this point. I did not drive it again until the next morning and hoped to make it to work and then take it to the dealer that afternoon. Well I shouldn't have done that... on the way to work, on the interstate, I started slowing down and the system did the same thing. As I sped up the gears starting sticking, the car was stalling and I finally had to pull over and restart the car. On the interstate!!! the car did this another four or five times before I made it to work and another three times before I got to the dealership. When I first arrived, they could not figure out the issue and no reprogramming fixed the problem. They did state that the car has a flash update (aka recall), which was not communicated to me when I purchased the vehicle. So finally today, Thursday, May 7th, (3 days later) Chrysler decided the car needed a brand new transmission. Wasn't the transmission brand new anyway"???" this purchase has been very disappointing and I am really concerned about the safety of these vehicles. I really hope this new transmission fixes the problem. I also hope a serious recall is communicated to the public before anyone gets hurt!

- Rome, GA, USA

Apr 172015

Cherokee 4WD 4-cyl

1 day after purchasing the vehicle (Jeep Cherokee trailhawk) while turning into traffic, the vehicle shut down and lost all engine and steering and was completely disabled in oncoming traffic. The transmission check engine light, parking brake warning, and loss of 4-wheel drive warnings all came on. The vehicle was completely immobile and highly unsafe to drive. Chrysler/Jeep has advised they don't know exactly what is causing the problem and have offered several fixes, but they can not guarantee any of them will fix the safety issue.

- Marietta, PA, USA

Apr 202015

Cherokee

Shortly before reaching her destination, the driver of our vehicle smelled an odor, but couldn't determine what it was. She continued onto her destination as it was just up the street. She parked the vehicle and was preparing to exit. Before she could exit the vehicle, a witness saw smoke coming from under the vehicle. She quickly exited the vehicle and saw the smoke. The smoke then turned black and she saw flames. The vehicle then burst into flames.

- Pekin, IL, USA

Mar 132015

Cherokee 6-cyl

I was turning into my driveway and slowed down before hitting the slope, when I pressed the gas pedal to go up the driveway the engine revved up but the car didn't accelerate. After about a second the car jerked and sped up faster than normal to where I had to slam on my breaks to avoid hitting the garage door.

- Whittier, CA, USA

Mar 232015

Cherokee

While decelerating in drive with the foot off the gas, or under light gradual braking, when the automatic transmission downshifts as the car slows between 25 and 20 mph, engine speed increases in the lower gear and the car accelerates slightly.this acceleration, with the foot off the gas and when one expects the car to be slowing down, though relatively mild, is nonetheless disconcerting and perhaps potentially dangerous. An appointment was made with the dealer for March 30 2015. Coincidentally, between the time the appointment was made and before the appointment, the customer received a mailed recall notice from Jeep regarding an upgrade to software for the nine-speed automatic transmission. On March 30 the dealer attempted the software upgrade and reported that when they test drove it, the transmission then would not function properly, and the car would only operate in "limp" mode. The customer was given a rental car. The next day, on March 31, 2015 the dealer notified the customer that consultation with Jeep and further diagnostics indicated two locking rings had broken or malfunctioned inside the transmission, and they were installing a new transmission. The customer also received a recorded message telephone call from Jeep on March 31, asking the customer to bring the car in for a transmission software upgrade. The new transmission is being installed.

- Rensselaer, NY, USA

Mar 242015

Cherokee 4-cyl

My 2015, brand new Jeep has been acting sluggish, with a delay in shifting, poor highway pickup for a few weeks. My 17 year old daughter drove it a long distance and complained of similar issues. While driving to meet a friend the car began to loose power on the highway, there was no response when I stepped on the gas. I managed to coast to an exit ramp where I was unable to drive the car. The engine was running but would not move. I had the car towed to the nearest dealer and it has been 3 days and they still cannot diagnosis the problem other than saying it is transmission related. They ran the software update but still experience the same problem. This is an extremely dangerous and I was fortunate to be in a safe area, during the day when this occurred.

- West Hartford, CT, USA

Mar 202015

Cherokee 6-cyl

2015 Jeep Cherokee purchased 2-24-15 with 8 miles on it. Two days later the check engine light came on and I was told to check transmission. Car needed brand new transmission after 2 days. Two weeks ago, the tire pressure light came on. Back driver's side tire keeps losing pressure. On 3-20-15 computer went out. I had no camera, no radio, no heat controls, no ipod player.

- Dyer, IN, USA

Mar 182015

Cherokee 6-cyl

The vehicle was in park and started. All of the vehicle warning displays turned on including the check engine. This vehicle is practically brand new and this should not happen. I also had similar problems with a 2011 model. Vehicle sensors are also giving erroneous readings.

- Carolina, PR, USA

Mar 132015

Cherokee 4-cyl

When I turned the car on the engine light came on and I brought it the dealer immediately. They told me the car needs a new transmission.

- Bardonia, NY, USA

Oct 272014

Cherokee 4-cyl

I purchased a 2015 Cherokee sport in October 2014. Since then I have noted several reoccurring problems. Having never owned a brand new I thought perhaps there was some early mile growing pains but these problems persist. The screen malfunctions at will; sometime the rear camera is engaged when driving forward, the screen locks on the disclosure/acceptance page. Voice recognition/command has never worked. Unintended acceleration when at a complete stop (reminds me of an unruly dog on a leash trying to leap forward). Delayed acceleration when the gas pedal is depressed causing it to suddenly leap into motion risking hitting a car in front of you in city traffic (I live in los angeles ? this is particularly concerning) or a wall behind you (I back into my parking space). When parallel parking or in a 3 point scenario (D-R-D) the car, although clearly placed in the reverse the car will roll forward before reversing. Often putting the car in reverse, waiting several seconds (4 to 5) before releasing the break will do the trick but just as often, it makes no difference. Gear transitions are sloppy. This car does not shift it lunges. I"M surprised the damn thing doesn"T bite although it tries. I thought these were my pet peeves but it appears I am not alone. I wish I had read these earlier complaints. I would have returned it to post haste. I hate this car but am not in the financial position to buy another. Purchased from a dealer 50 miles away (best price) has made it difficult to take into the dealership. I have finally scheduled 2-days off from work to take it in. I wish I was in the position to not just drop it off but leave it there. If I had the money I would not hesitate.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA