2016 Jeep Cherokee drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Jeep Cherokee:

2016 Jeep Cherokee Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Nov 162016

Cherokee

While driving I lost acceleration capability. Kept happening on my way home but when I had to go across a bridge, I was slipping backwards with no acceleration and had to "floor it" to get close to 30-40 mph. Very scary!! continue to happen on my way home and every light I stopped at or even if I slowed down I had no acceleration until I shifted into park and then tried to accelerate. Could not even get it over a small 1-2 foot driveway incline!! will take down to dealership tomorrow to see what is going on with this used vehicle I purchased less than 3 weeks ago (10/29) with less than 6,500 mi driven on it!!

- Corpus Christi, TX, USA

Oct 172016

Cherokee

The uconnect unit quit working therefore no way to adjust radio, heat, use, bluetooth, backup camera stays on when driving frontwards down road, etc. Cannot use regular knobs to adjust. Have now been waiting almost 2 weeks for a new radio to see if that fixes the problem. Also thumping noise in the right front in when making a turn & going over a bump at same time. Buying a brand new vehicle you should not have to worry about problems like this after owning it for less than 6 months.

- Buckhannon, WV, USA

Oct 302016

Cherokee

Perdida de potencia, salta los cambios Y pierde aceleraciÓN. en la pantalla SE reporta revisiÓN de trasmisiÓN. este problema lo reportan muchos usuarios en internet. Tiene 400 km Y 2 semanas de uso. QuedÓ bloqueada Y todos los testigos prendidos. El carro iba en una autopista Y perdiÓ toda la aceleraciÓN Y SE parÓ, con el peligro de causar una colisiÓN. salta de un cambio a otro Y no acelera mas, para salir de "P" suena durÍsimo Y en "D" no SE mueve sola.

- Medellin Colombia, FL, USA

Oct 232016

Cherokee

The service light came on to service the transmission as I was driving. I immediately checked the transmission temperature gauge and it read 154 degrees the car then suddenly shutdown. I had to coast to the side. It acted as though it had shifted into neutral but it still showed in drive. It was very scary and very dangerous.

- Napa, CA, USA

Sep 302016

Cherokee

Automatic tranmission is doesn't seem as smooth as when I first bought the vehicle, driving with more whiplash from shifting gears. Vehicle accelerates slowly, but gears jump shift pretty quickly perhaps too soon before reaching proper speed (mph). Accelerating overall just doesn't feel or sound right when stopped at a traffic light and then accelerating.

- Woodbridge, VA, USA

Apr 052016

Cherokee

The transmition shift hard and causes whip lash ahd sticks in gear, skips gears, it horrible etc..

- Harrisonburg, VA, USA

Sep 212016

Cherokee

Service transmission and engine light came on while driving about 58 mph transmission basically disengaged while driving on the highway. After slowing at a stoplight, the car would not accelerate and I was nearly rear ended. Car has been at dealership for 5 days, due to be ready for pick up tomorrow after changing tcm. I was only offered a rental this afternoon-gee thanks!after some research, I am finding many similar stories in which the repairs do not hold and the owners have continued problems, the most worrisome is the transmission disengaging mid drive, and multiple breakdowns and service visits. I do not feel safe in this car and should this malfunction cause me to be crashed into and I survive, I will come at Chrysler-who's advise thus far was that I purchase a service plan-again, gee thanks- I will come at them with a fury that is unmatched.

- Pierre Part, LA, USA

Aug 252016

Cherokee

I was pulling out of a parking lot on to a city street in the middle of school traffic. I pressed the accelerator and my Jeep bucked really hard. I tried to get it going but it would not go passed 1st gear. I basically coasted back to my home and called Jeep to have it towed to the dealer.

- Gladstone, MO, USA

Jul 052016

Cherokee

The contact owns a 2016 Jeep Cherokee. While driving downhill with the cruise control activated, the vehicle accelerated and the engine rpms revved. In addition, the transmission downshifted, but failed to engage. The dealer stated that the vehicle was functioning as designed. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 3,000.

- Beaverton, MI, USA

Dec 012015

Cherokee

The contact owns a 2016 Jeep Cherokee. While the vehicle was parked, it moved and jerked independently without warning. The dealer was unable to determine the cause of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 16V284000. The manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 9,267. Updated 10/07/16

- Margate, FL, USA

Jul 202016

Cherokee

With or without ess engaged, the transmission slips for up to ~1 second. This problem is noticable by average owner when the car transitions from not-moving into moving forward. I have not noticed slippage in reverse, but I do not rule this out. I have noticed slippage when the Jeep first starts moving forward. Car has about 1800 miles and just started doing this very recently maybe at mileage 1600~. also, gas milage was in the past for the same trip averaging >24mpg (it formerly was ~26 I think). Now same trip averages ~20mpg. Car feels sluggish at times. Initial thought was bad gas, but new gas -- same slippage. I have contacted fca (manuf) and will try to resolve. The gas milage is also a problem as it is nowhere near that stated in epa reported... however, if slippage is fixed, then maybe ~28mpg is possible. Very strange for new car, imho. (when car was <1000 miles, milage was ~26mpg for same trip... then it was ~24mpg... now it is ~20mpg... I am now concerned.)

- Murrieta, CA, USA

Jul 202016

Cherokee

It appears based on research, the listed vehicles is having the same transmission issues as the 2014-2015 models. Which within several publications Jeep indicated they had resolved the transmission issue in the 2016 model, that had plagued Jeep in the previous two years. Which appears to be an incorrect statement.

- Ormond Beach, FL, USA

Jul 082016

Cherokee

I went to pass a car on a two lane road. When I stepped on the gas the engine revved to a high RPM but would not speed up.the engine light lit and a " service transmission" message came up. It stayed in 4th gear all the way home ( about 45 miles). After I got home I tried to go up the driveway, about 100 yards, and the Jeep would hardly move. I have 7100 miles on it. This transmission needs to be recalled !! it is a piece of junk. The dealer has had it a week and I still have not heard a word about it from them. I doubt I would get much of a trade in on this as all the dealers know this is a bad and unsafe vehicle.

- Ash Flat, AR, USA

Apr 232016

Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

The contact rented a 2016 Jeep Cherokee. While in reverse and applying the brakes, the rented vehicle independently accelerated forward and crashed into another vehicle. The air bags did not deploy. A police report was filed and there were no injuries. The vehicle was able to be driven. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The VIN and failure mileage were not available.....updated 08/29/16 the consumer stated the vehicle slipped out of gear several times while attempting to park

- Palo Alto, CA, USA

May 022016

Cherokee

First of all, this is a brand new vehicle. I bought it 6 weeks ago and it has less than 3000K miles. The vehicle was in motion and it shut down/ stalled out. How can a new vehicle just loose power? the dashboard told me service the transmission. The emergency brake light came on and the check engine light came on. The Jeep sat in the median of a 4 lane busy highway just running. It took an hour for roadside service to have a tow truck to come to me. My baby, puppy and I were just stranded in the middle of a bad storm. Jeep knows of this. They don't care about their consumers. Now my life is in danger with this piece of crap. Crap that costs me $26K! the tow truck driver told me I was his 4th customer today with the same problem as the others who have this exact model. Please do not buy! your life will be in jeopardy or at the hands of an unmerciful company. The dealership told me they didn't even want it back. I'm just stuck!

- Winnsboro, SC, USA

Dec 182015

Cherokee

I was approaching a dip in the roadway and a sharp left curve on a highway so I slowed down to approximately 20 mph. When I was in the turn I accelerated and the engine didn't respond. I let up on the accelerator pedal and then attempted to accelerate again. By this time I had slowed down so much that I was concerned about being struck by another vehicle from behind. For the third time I attempted to accelerate and this time the engine responded. There was no check engine, check transmission or any other warning that something was wrong. I continued to drive the vehicle at highway speeds. About 40 miles after the previous issue, I attempted to accelerate to pass a vehicle and the engine again did not respond several times. At this point a check engine light illuminated and so did a service transmission dash board indicator illuminated. I then exited the highway and stopped at a red traffic signal. When I accelerated to proceed through the now green traffic signal, the engine revved up and the car moved at a very slow speed. It seemed to me as if the transmission was "slipping" or was in a much higher gear than it should be in. I had the Jeep Cherokee trailhawk edition with a V6 engine flat bedded to a near by Jeep dealer. This Jeep had only 800(eight hundred) miles on it. I was told by the dealer that a transmission hose had not been connected properly causing transmission fluid to leak out. I feel there should have been some sort of indication that the transmission fluid had leaked out. I believe that I shouldn't find out that the transmission fluid leaked out the way I did. I feel this is a very dangerous design. When I press down on the accelerator pedal I expect to be propelled forward. I was told by the dealer that the vehicle responded as designed. They said it was a "fail safe". this vehicle is designed with no transmission dipstick to check the level of fluid

- Orient, NY, USA

Feb 012016

Cherokee

While driving on highway the engine lurched forward and died in the middle of traffic, I was lucky I was not killed. Called dealer and they towed it. After keeping it for weeks with no loaner, they told me the transmission had to be replaced, this is the fourth time they replaced the transmission and it is very dangerous. Every other Jeep owner I know has had failed transmissions. It is not safe for my kids and family. The company lies to sell cars and never fixed the problem. I owned other 2014 and 2015 of same model and they also failed and I reported it several times but they keep on selling it. Dealers always lie and want to sell you a timebomb, count your blessings because the transmission is going to blow up sooner or later. I work at a Jeep dealer and know first hand and most of these models are towed back with broken engines and transmissions. Do not buy or recommend this car! it is dangerous and the design is bad! most the longterm magazine reviewers are liars, because real owners are unhappy with this junk. It is not a real Jeep and looks terrible like a Nissan juke. Stay away from this garbage!

- Jersey City, NJ, USA

Jan 022016

Cherokee

Only had 262 miles on our new 2016 Jeep Cherokee when we started having transmission problems. At first it wouldn't reverse one day and then we couldn't get it to go past first gear while driving on the freeway. It had a strong chemical burning smell. The service transmission light came on as well as the parking light., drove it to the Jeep dealer we bought it from after arguing with them over the phone. They checked it out and had to contact the factory. They ended up having it for a month and had to replace the transmission.

- Tacoma, WA, USA

Jan 302016

Cherokee

Vehicle suddenly lost all power to transmission while traveling down road. Engine remained running but all attempts to get trans. To engage failed. Left us stranded in a travel lane on highway. Police called for safety while waiting for road side towing. Towed to dealer. Dealer has had vehicle for 5 days now replacing many parts unsuccessfully and now says probably needs new transmission. Its only 2 weeks old with 265 mi. This is a faulty dangerous vehicle! now I know this problem is common and there is no fix. This vehicle should be recalled. The 9 spd. Auto transmission does not work properly and will get people hurt or killed.

- Long Branch, NJ, USA

Jan 072016

Cherokee

We bought a 2016 Jeep Cherokee sport two days ago.at a 108 miles while driving up a city street. The car became very jerky, lunging forward, then went in to neutral and died. After that the car wouldn't start again. Luckily there wasn't any drivers near us and we weren't on a hwy. The dealership did tow it back to their shop for repairs.after researching and finding the numerous complaints on this car and transmission of similar complaints for the past three years. Most of these complaints have stated that they continued to have this problem even after several trips in for repairs of this issue. I'm terrified to get this car back. Lemon law states I have to give them 3 times to fix this, but why should I have to gamble with mine and my children's safety two more times? when this manufacture has been putting these transmissions out for three years promising it's fixed with each new year release. I'm sick with concern.

- Hood River, OR, USA