2016 Jeep Cherokee engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Jeep Cherokee:

2016 Jeep Cherokee Owner Comments

Jun 252016

When driving on a 2 lane highway, I set the cruse control at 58mph. The cruse set was done at the crest of a hill. The car then accelerated to 70mph before backing off to 58mph. This car has never done this on this hill or any other hill. In fact it's always held it's speed very well. This may be a one-off incident, never to occur again, but I felt it needed to be reported to the dealer as I've only got 6000 miles on this car. The service tech laughed and said this was normal. I disagree.

- Mount Croghan, SC, USA

Jul 022016

While using cruise control, traveling up and down hills, the speed would not remain constant. The variation of the speed would be between negative 5 mph to 16 plus mph, without my foot being on the throttle. At times while traveling down hills, the engine would actually engage to accelerate the vehicle. The tachometer would show the engine rev increase and you could hear the engine as well when this happened. I have an incident of this on video in which I had the cruise set to 45 mph and while traveling down hill, the vehicle accelerated to 58 mph, without my foot on the throttle. I wanted to use the cruise control to get better gas mileage on the highway, but would often have to hit my breaks to avoid the vehicle in front of me due to rapid acceleration. After discovering this issue, I refused to use it as a result. This is not my vehicle, but a rental vehicle. This issue happened the entire time period I had the rental I have video to prove this but am unsure how to upload it as according to your website it is not a supported file format. I will provide upon request. My husband, who is an faa a&P licensed mechanic, filmed the video while I was driving, and suggested I report this issue. He also did some research on the internet to determine if this is a known issue with the Jeep, and found that it appears to be, as many are reporting similar issues.

- Plant City, FL, USA

Apr 232016

Cherokee 4WD 6-cyl

The contact rented a 2016 Jeep Cherokee. While in reverse and applying the brakes, the rented vehicle independently accelerated forward and crashed into another vehicle. The air bags did not deploy. A police report was filed and there were no injuries. The vehicle was able to be driven. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The VIN and failure mileage were not available.....updated 08/29/16 the consumer stated the vehicle slipped out of gear several times while attempting to park

- Palo Alto, CA, USA