CarComplaints.com Notes: Whenever a new product is introduced, there's bound to be some problems. And man oh man, does the 2006 Commander have some problems.

It's the plight of the 1st-generation adopter: you get the newest and shiniest in exchange for a handful of issues that get ironed out in future versions. But what happens when that handful of issues becomes a bucketload? The 2006 Commander has quality control issues like the door handles breaking off and the sunroof leaking. But what's truly worrisome is the electrical problems like the vehicle shutting down unexpectedly, gauges going crazy or the cruise control having a mind of its own.

Bottom line: if you want a Jeep Commander, you're better off looking at a later model year.

2006 Jeep Commander body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Jeep Commander:

2006 Jeep Commander Owner Comments (Page 4 of 4)

Apr 012011

Commander

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. The contact stated that the interior rear door handles separated from the door frame. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who advised that the door handles needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 45,000 and the current mileage was 54,000.

- Dahlonega, GA, USA

Aug 012011

Commander

In 2009, three years after we purchased our Jeep Commander, three of the plastic interior door handles on the vehicle broke, making it difficult or impossible to open the vehicle doors from the inside. This is a very well documented problem among owners and dealers for 2006 and 2007 models, and not surprisingly because the housing and hinge are made entirely of plastic, and are very brittle. After a few years of use the plastic starts to crack and then break away, and the inner handle will not function. This is particularly true in tropical climates. This should be an easy fix, but unfortunately in order to replace the handle you need to replace the entire door panel. In puerto rico, the cost of the driver's panel is $747, plus they charge you two hours of labor to install the new panel. It is evident that this is a legitimate safety issued, caused by defective design. Apparently Chrysler agrees, because in 2008 they changed the interior handle design. However, those of us with 2006 or 2007 models are left with either an existing or expected hazard. Even if you have the money to invest into replacing these panels, the flimsy design will not hold up, and you can expect that at any moment the new handles will break again. The defective design of these handles makes them particularly susceptible to being damaged or broken in an accident or emergency situation. It is unconscionable that Chrysler has not recalled them, given the inordinate number of complaints with this precise part.

- San Juan, PR, USA

Feb 152011

Commander

Drivers side interior door handle has broken. I went to exit my 2006 Jeep Commander and the plastic behind the door handle broke away from the door panel and my passenger door is now broken also.

- Nottingham, MD, USA

May 042007

Commander 4WD 8-cyl

Commander xk Jeep faulty/weak interior door panel 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 a problem with Jeep Commander owners the interior door panels circular plastic/chrome door handle snaps/breaks out resulting in the interior door handle drops behind the panel and unable to open the door from inside on all 4 doors. Problem is that the pin and all the mechanism is mounted on the door panel itself. I need the tsb to repair as the dealer says to repair they must replace entire door panels at my cost, when obviously a weak design failure for all Commanders 2006 to 2010. Today June 2011 and the problem affects 2006 to 2010, the Jeep dealers do not have a recall for the failure. The drivers door broke in 2007 and the passenger door broke in 2008 and now the right rear door panel is cracked and breaking out around the interior door handle.

- Orange Park, FL, USA

Mar 102010

Commander

My 2006 Jeep Commander's roof is rusting. I noticed it in March 2010. I took it to the dealer who said it was because of bird poop and will only pay half the money to get it fixed. It costs $1,600. I do not have $800. Another body shop I took the Jeep to said it was rusting from the inside out, therefore I think it is a factory defect and they should replace the roof.

- Newark , DE, USA

Aug 012009

Commander

Paint on front tip of hood bubbling. Took Jeep into get painted and they said it was due to water getting between the hood and frame - couldn't fix, and will come back within a year.

- Round Lake, IL, USA

Mar 312009

Commander

I've noticed that my Jeep is a money hungry machine. I bought it because I had previously owned a Jeep Cherokee lmt and needed something bigger and safer to haul around the boys I nanny. I bought it thinking I would have it for awhile. I have reported several safety and hazardous problems to NHTSA already. I have another complaint now. I have three rather large rust spots around my rear license plate on the tail gate. They have a warranty for rust up to 100,000 miles. I took it in to get repaired because I have 94,000 miles and they wont fix it because they state that it needs to be rusted through. I have not found in any form that it needs to be rusted through but they still wont fix it. The paint on both bumpers are peeling off and both have large black spots from the bumper being exposed. They wont help fix any of this. I am going to have to paint the entire thing which is going to be a very expensive out of pocket expense. I bought this Jeep thinking it's american made and I should stick with them. Quite frankly they have the worse costumer service of anyone I have been. I want to just get rid of the vehicle but they messed me over on my interest rate and my loan is still huge. I have refinanced and got with a company that treats me like a person. Chrysler also messed up my credit rating by reporting that I went months without payment. I paid them and have disputed my credit. Chrysler I realize were going into bankruptcy at the time of my vehicle purchase but that's no way to treat paying customers. My next vehicle will be a foreign for sure. Im sick and tired of paying all these expenses when I picked an expensive vehicle so this wouldn't happen. It just sucks being in and out of shops, running up bill and not getting anything fixed, and being without a vehicle. Please look into all these complaints...... alot on here I have experienced with mine, I will continue to leave complaints. It is very time consuming to constantly be doing it.

- Princeton, MN, USA

Apr 152009

Commander

Recall notice from Chrysler. Took Commander into shop for repair. After 4 hours, technician stated that unable to download program from corporate computer to fix. Need to bring car back later. This is the second time for a recall, and our car has been in there a total of 4 times for safety issues such as broken seat belts. It has been there a number of other visits, starting at 2555 miles, for defective windshield mount, defective gas fill line mount, and defective windshield wiper fluid pump. Previous hazards were handled, but resulted in a good number of days of at least 6 hour services. Now, after 4 hours, this service is not completed and I have to bring the car back again.

- Long Beach, CA, USA