CarComplaints.com Notes: Whenever a new product is introduced, there's bound to be some problems. And man oh man, does the 2006 Commander have some problems.

It's the plight of the 1st-generation adopter: you get the newest and shiniest in exchange for a handful of issues that get ironed out in future versions. But what happens when that handful of issues becomes a bucketload? The 2006 Commander has quality control issues like the door handles breaking off and the sunroof leaking. But what's truly worrisome is the electrical problems like the vehicle shutting down unexpectedly, gauges going crazy or the cruise control having a mind of its own.

Bottom line: if you want a Jeep Commander, you're better off looking at a later model year.

2006 Jeep Commander brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Jeep Commander:

2006 Jeep Commander Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Mar 222012

Commander 4WD 8-cyl

My Jeep cuts off going about 70 mph down the highway. I have had to stafford Jeep in winchester va 4 times and they can not seem to find the problem. The was a recall on the PCM module but they assure me that the recall was done correctly. Now the Jeep had throttle control issues. It will speed up and lose power. This has cause other issues as now my Jeep is mis firing. Stafford Jeep wants to charge me for all of this and I believe it has something to do with the control modules.

- Inwood, WV, USA

Jun 252012

Commander 6-cyl

On June 25, 2012 while driving w/B on I10 on my way to a appointment in baldwin park, ca. My vehicle started acting violently, dash board cluster warning lights flickering, stalling, steering and ABS not responding normally. Pulling off the highway I called my husband immediately I told him there is a serious safety issues with the car the need to be fixed. My husband analyzed the car with a hand held device which gave him a manufacturer code of "U1411". he drove on surface streets to the local dealer service for diagnostic, no problems were found" everything was fine? driving it home the issue continued" my husband rediagnosed the issues and it seems to be a "faulty ignition switch" that needs to be addressed! vehicle will shut-off on its own at any time!

- West Covina, CA, USA

May 102010

Commander 4WD 8-cyl

My Commander is stalling while driving. And at times just will not start. Several incidents dating back to years.. I bought this Commander new, no miles. One incident I was driving going over 50 mph and all dash board lights came on and it just stalled. Another time stalled sitting at red light and all dash board lights came on and it stalled. And over 10 times it just won't start. Right now it is broke down, just won't start. Over the years I was told it was the starter it was replace 8/3/2010 (I had to pay for starter, labor and towing) then next time I replaced the battery. And still the same problems. I did a check on recalls and found the 2008 Commanders was recalled for the same reasons. Why haven't the 2006 Commanders been recalled" this is a very serious problem. I could be in a wreck when this happens. I have children in my Commander age 17 months and 8 months. This problem needs to be recalled and fixed. Chrysler knows this is a existing problem for other year Commanders, they fixed them why not mine??" and I feel since Chrysler accepted this recall in other years and if I wreck Chrysler will be responsible for my wreck and any injuries. All I want is for Chrysler to fix my Commander....

- Vanderbilt, PA, USA

Sep 222011

Commander 4WD 8-cyl

While driving, the instrument panel began flashing all the warning lights several times for a period of 5 minutes. The warning lights that stayed on afterwards: Traction control and electronic stability program and bsp. This could have caused a crash because I was distracted by the malfunction.

- Broken Arrow, OK, USA

Jan 182011

Commander 4WD 8-cyl

March of 2009 we experienced a problem with our 2006 Jeep Commander with the electronics in the vehicle shutting down causing the vehicle to stall. We took it into our local dealership where they informed us that the problem was with the shifter module and that it had to be replaced. Well $2500 later and missing parts we requested to keep our vehicle was back in our possession with the problem still happening. Not as severe as what it had been prior to sending it in, however still happening. This evening my husband was driving home from work when this happened again. Only this time the ABS went out and the brakes started pumping for no reason, as well as the vehicle stalling out while driving 110kmph. When home we reviewed recalls recommended for 2006 Jeep Commanders and there is one where it describes the symptoms our vehicle is having in quite detail. Amongst investigating further it was determined that out particular vehicle was not included in the recall although experiencing the same problems.

- Fort Sasktachewan, 00, USA

Dec 222010

Commander

2006 Jeep Commander stalled while on the highway and would not move. The vehicle towed to a service facility. The torque converter in the transmission came apart. The vehicle had 60,000 miles on it. Chrysler was no help at all. Transmission was replaced at a cost of $3200.

- Huber Heights, OH, USA