Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Whenever a new product is introduced, there's bound to be some problems. And man oh man, does the 2006 Commander have some problems.

It's the plight of the 1st-generation adopter: you get the newest and shiniest in exchange for a handful of issues that get ironed out in future versions. But what happens when that handful of issues becomes a bucketload? The 2006 Commander has quality control issues like the door handles breaking off and the sunroof leaking. But what's truly worrisome is the electrical problems like the vehicle shutting down unexpectedly, gauges going crazy or the cruise control having a mind of its own.

Bottom line: if you want a Jeep Commander, you're better off looking at a later model year.

2006 Jeep Commander brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Jeep Commander:

2006 Jeep Commander Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Jul 212014

Commander 8-cyl

Braking to approach a red light at an intersection the brakes felt mushy followed by complete loss of power. I was stopped in the inside lane of a 4-lane hwy at an intersection without power!. after a moment of panic....thank heavens no oncoming traffic behind me....I put the car into park and restarted the engine. I traveled two blocks to where I could safely exit the hwy and park. After a few minutes while I calmed down I proceeded to drive the vehicle to my home. Since that time I have tried to get the vehicle in for a check but cannot get an appointment until August. It has been a few days and I have no choice but to use the vehicle. I have noted some missing and hesitating from time to time but not complete failure. However, I would not take this vehicle on an open hwy as it is performing right now.

- Mccook, NE, USA

May 162012

I was driving down a neighborhood street and re-adjusted my seating position. While driving, my knee slightly bumped the key and turned off my car while it was in drive. I then lost power steering and power brakes. Luckily I was moving slowly and could pull over and stop the car. I then tested it again in a parking lot and I determined that my Jeep shuts off every time I move the key with my knee, even while driving. Potentially very dangerous.

- Austin, TX, USA

May 282014

Commander 8-cyl

Driving North from detroit with my uncle, passing a semi on I 75 at about 70-75. The engine just quit, likesome turned the key off. Got to the side of the road, put vec. In park started back up drove home. Took Jeep to al serra, S the 29 th got it back 6/2/14 found no reason why it shut down. June 15 th when driving on bristol road at 45 mph it quit again, took it back to al serra, S 2days later got it back, still couldn't find cause.

- Burton, MI, USA

Apr 172014

Commander 8-cyl

My beloved Jeep Commander suddenly shut off while driving at 40mph. With no prior problems or warning signs the engine completely stalled- instantly I lost both power steering & brakes. Needless to say I was terrified. After much confusion & hassle I was told to replace my key. (reason being the 'chip' inside was malfunctioning.) I replaced the $270 key which solved nothing. To my surprise, many Commander owners experience this same problem with no help from Jeep. Not only do Jeep dealerships ignore the potential recall warning on the Commander, but they actually recommend expensive 'solutions' that do not even touch the known problem. It seems as though there are no solutions for this faulty system, given that no dealership can successfully stop the shutting off. There are way too many owners experiencing the same dangerous stall. I cannot in good conscience ignore the fact that this problem goes beyond inconvenience; this is potentially very dangerous and the Jeep Commander needs to be recalled.

- Metairie, LA, USA

Apr 022014

The vehicle randomly shuts off. The dash gauges flicker and/or go off for a brief time. If breaks are engaged at that time, ABS stops. If headlights are on auto, they turn off. If turning a hard left or right (such as turning into a driveway, turning on to a street, parking) power steering stops working. If the lights are on but not on auto the lights stay on. The radio stays on. These symptoms would indicate that there is a problem with the ignition switch. When this issue occurs, it seems to stop by pushing on the key. This has happened multiple times. After visiting this page, a log will be created to record date, time, and speed. This is a huge safety issue. After much research many users of internet forums for Jeep, complain about this issue (reference urls can be provided). The NHTSA campaign number: 14V047000 sounds very similar in nature. Could the NHTSA look in to the parts being the same?

- Winterville, NC, USA

Jan 012013

Commander 8-cyl

Would driving like 25 mph the car stops and engine shot off also light coming on the inside and the air conditioned it does T work low you have to put it always until high the way it can start working also problem with the engine making a noise like rcrccrcrcrcrcrccrc like the manifold or exhaust problems this car is sooo weird I already took it to the private mechanic and they can T do anything cause the manufactured problems.

- Palmdale, CA, USA

Nov 152013

My wife reported a strange thumping sound from under the car. She said it began after dropping children at school and going over a speed bump at the school. Something she does every day. Upon inspection I found the driver side emergency brake cable was interfering with the rear universal joint on the driveshaft. The cable was kinked and being cut by the rotation of the driveshaft. There was also abrasion of the gas tank splash guard. I have no doubt if this happened at highway speed the cable would be cut in half and possibly wrap around the driveshaft causing the driver side emergency brake to apply and lock-up the wheel resulting in a rollover. The gas tank could also have been punctured if the cable was pulled by the driveshaft. Somehow the normal action of the vehicles suspension was able to place this cable in contact with the driveshaft. The rotation of the universal joint caught the cable pulling it into the rotating shaft. I consider this a class 1 defect that should be corrected with a model recall. Normally the emergency brake cable is routed off to the side and not directly over the differential. What were they thinking? Chrysler needs to devise a supplemental attaching point that will ensure the cables are not able to contact the driveshaft even under extreme off road driving. I have a full set of photos available upon request. I have ordered a new cable but the part number is on back order. This indicates there is a problem when the part cannot be stocked due to high demand. This cable should last the life of the vehicle without question. NHTSA is there for the public. It exists on public taxes. It is not there to shield corporate mistakes and short cuts. I feel that NHTSA is not operating within the public trust if it allows defects to be ignored.

- Southwest Ranches, FL, USA

Apr 132013

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. The contact stated that when applying the brakes at various speeds, the vehicle would exhibit a whining noise and acted as it were attempting to stall. The vehicle was taken to a independent mechanic, who stated that the problem was unknown. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 141,600.

- Pascagoula, MS, USA

Sep 242013

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the vehicle suddenly accelerated independently. The contact also mentioned that the brakes seized and would not immediately release. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the mechanic stated that there were no recalls. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 80,000. The current mileage was 96,000.

- West Covina, CA, USA

May 062013

Commander 6-cyl

On the evening of 5/04/2013 while driving on the highway at a rate of between 65 & 70 mph my headlights along with my entire dashboard and instrument panel begin flickering and eventually went out! I pulled over turned the engine off and restarted it the headlight came on immediately, however the instrument panel flickered for a bit then eventually illuminated. Went into autozone (@#$%) got a reading, was told it was a minor issue and to get it checked out. A couple days go by really not driving it much a little nervous, however when starting the vehicle none of the instrument panel is working, thy tachometer needle, the speedometer nothing, however the engine was running and it would shift in and out of gear, but it would jerk and stall and whenever I tried to make a left or right turn the brakes would grind and screech! "yites" thank god, we have another vehicle! anyway I called a local Chrysler dealership and was told that I would have to be charged a diagnostic fee of $130 for each component tested"?" really! anyway it gets better I called Chrysler-Jeep manufacturer and they told me that although my car was doing exactly what millions of other recalled Commanders made in the same year 2006 were doing, my "VIN" number wasn't on the recall list, gooooo figure! so yeah, although my Jeep shifts in and out of gear on the highway, cluster board and headlights flicker off and it stalls like it going to shut off! no cigar! I guess I'll bring to where I purchased it from and use my "max care warranty" god give me the strength!

- Hartford, CT, USA

Feb 152013

Commander 8-cyl

Jeep Commander stalls at driving speeds in which has almost caused 3 vehicle accidents, bas esp and traction control light is on and malfunctioned, all wheel drive malfunction. Dealer claims internal fault in front control module.

- Clinton, IA, USA

Mar 272013

Commander 8-cyl

I bought this car from a used dealership I have only owned this vehicle for about 3 months. Have been having trouble for the last month and a half. And it all began on the interstate. I was traveling on the interstate doing about 75 and it just shut off in the middle of a cluster of cars and I had to go over 2 lanes to get to the shoulder. I lost steering and brakes within 10 seconds. One of the most scariest rides ever. I am now afraid to travel on the interstate with this vehicle. Since this has happened it has shut off an additional 5 times I took it to the dealership cause the engine light was on and they said it was a map sensor, I have replaced this twice already. Now it doesn't idle right and looses power in between 30 and 35 mph. And the engine light has once again came on. Haven't had it checked yet cause it is a Saturday night guess I will have to take it somewhere on Monday.

- Decatur, TN, USA

Mar 222012

Commander 4WD 8-cyl

Driving on beltway and loud noise began to occur, sounds like rubbing along the floor of vehicle went to deal and they didn't find anything second occurrence maybe three month there after and finally found the problem brake cable fixture broke and brake cable rubbing retied and fixed. Third time samething and it was fixed. Fourth time the manager recommended I pay $549 to replace the cables and this began two months after buying the vehicle. Im left with the bill!!!!

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Oct 172012

Approx 2 miles from work - making a right hand turn at a light. Hazards on - taking precaution... car behind me. Once I make the turn my car completely shuts off again. No brakes not steering - nothing... my car just happened to coast to the right as it is.... car behind missed me by an inch of slamming into me. Waited a good 1/2 hour - my husband came and drove it the rest of the way to the work parking lot. I called Jeep in lugoff SC and like every other dealership out there - they have no memory of hearing of any 2006 - 2007 Jeep Commander problems. I have called chyrsler care 8009921997 - dealerships... they all make me out to be crazy. I am going to report them to the BBB as well. I have 3 children - 9,8, and 20 mths old. Chrysler must be waiting for someone to get killed.... I normally take the hwy to work - but today for some reason I decided to head to work on a back road..... I can not believe with all the issues and complaints I have read about this same problem - that it is even legal to sell this car used, ...

- Lugoff, SC, USA

Oct 172012

Just dropped my children off - on my way to work again - going approx 40-45 mph..... all of a sudden I feel a slight jerk and my car completely shuts off. (key still in on position-so no, my knee did not hit the keys) brakes - electrical - engine - all went out. I coasted to the side of the road. Waited about 10 mins after speaking with my husband - started it back up engine light was on.... I P laced my hazards on and proceeded to continue down the road - at this point I am approx 15-20 miles from work.

- Lugoff , SC, USA

Sep 202012

Driving to work at an intersection. In the midst of turning left on to the road to my work parking lot... my car stalled on me. Again, I was in an intersection with on coming traffic. No lights came on (warning lites) no weird sounds, no jerking - just stalled. Started back up once I turned the key off and then on again.

- Lugoff, SC, USA

Jul 232012

Jeep Commander 2006 completely shut down, steering locked up and the brakes locked up, while going in motion. Could have been in a fatal accident. Happened several times before reaching destination. Dealer stated that the control module needed to be replaced.

- Clermont, FL, USA