CarComplaints.com Notes: Whenever a new product is introduced, there's bound to be some problems. And man oh man, does the 2006 Commander have some problems.

It's the plight of the 1st-generation adopter: you get the newest and shiniest in exchange for a handful of issues that get ironed out in future versions. But what happens when that handful of issues becomes a bucketload? The 2006 Commander has quality control issues like the door handles breaking off and the sunroof leaking. But what's truly worrisome is the electrical problems like the vehicle shutting down unexpectedly, gauges going crazy or the cruise control having a mind of its own.

Bottom line: if you want a Jeep Commander, you're better off looking at a later model year.

2006 Jeep Commander drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Jeep Commander:

2006 Jeep Commander Owner Comments (Page 5 of 9)

Nov 012013

Commander 8-cyl

October, 2013 received notification that there was a safety recall on my 2006 Jeep Commander. (as I have two young children, this was a priority to have fixed) I brought my Jeep into the dealership to have the N23 safety recall performed. Come January, 2014 with a few inches of snow on the ground I attempt to activate my 4 wheel low and I get a service light stating "service 4WD". I contact the dealership who had performed the recall and bring it in to be looked at. They run a diagnosis and determine the truck has an internal short in the transfer case. The service tech advised me it is related to the recall but he can not do anything at the dealer level. I need to call Chrysler customer service who tells me they will not be doing anything to help. Upon a little research (Jeep forums) it seems there are many (many) others with the same issues. I am sure I am not the only one to call Jeep with this issue and if you clear the codes the 4 wheel low engages so it is not a short. I believe Chrysler Jeep should look into what was performed with the N23 recall and determine how it effected the 4 wheel low on these vehicles. Then reprogram them to work, as they were, at no cost to the owner. Since this was a safety recall I felt I had no option but to have the recall performed on my vehicle now I have a faulty vehicle.

- Smithtown, NY, USA

Jan 012014

Commander

As with many others, I have a 2006 Jeep Commander. Owned it for a year and no problems. Aside from the old issues of which were an easy fix. (I.e. leaking sunroof). I went in for the most recent recall, I figured sure, why not, I fixed everything and its running great! my mistake! I now have power train issues. Gear not shifting right. One time stayed in 3rd until I turned the car off and on again. Stays in gear too long before shift should occur and then 'buck's into the gear. Same for when stopping, does not shift down correctly and will stale when I finally come to a stop. Why the recall! I should have left wheel enough alone! terrible! I still love my Jeep, but I fear this "free' fix for the recall is now going to cost me thousands....

- Crofton, MD, USA

Feb 152014

Commander

06 Commander. Started up vehicle and let it warm up, put it in drive and nothing, tried reverse, still nothing, it has just around 115000mi on it. Started my online research and found there is more issues. I've had it stall twice at a stop light. Idle fluctuates at times at stop light. And delay when putting car in drive on occasion. These are the only issues I've had, besides broken exhaust studs.and normal wear and tear parts. All tranny fluids and filter were changed at 65000 mi along with diff fluids and transfer case fluids. Absolutely love my Jeep up until these issues. We'll see what my mechanic makes of all of this soon. I prey it's nothing to major.

- Whitesboro, NY, USA

Aug 152013

Commander 8-cyl

I had the Jeep N23 recall done last August on my Commander. Afterwards I had a service light and 4WD lo didn't engage. I returned to the dealer to redo the recall 2 more visits. Afterward the last recall attempt my dealer changed the T/case actuator. This fixed it for 2 months before the problem returned. We paid good money for these vehicles, and they should work as they did when we bought them. Jeep doesn't acknowledge any problems.

- Del Rio, TX, USA

Feb 132014

Commander

The transfer case motor/actuator will not shift after dealer performed N23 recall on the final drive controller.

- Signal Mountain, TN, USA

Jan 292014

Commander 8-cyl

While driving at around 30mph the vehicle gets stuck in 3rd gear. Driver has to park turn in off and start again. Some times vehicle will stall just after start some times it will stall while driving at lower speeds (less than 20mph).

- Oakton, VA, USA

Jan 062014

Commander 8-cyl

There was a recall for a software update. I brought the vehicle in and received the service in September 2013. When I went to use the 4WD, it would not activate so I brought it in for service and I discovered that this is a problem related to the software update. I have been without a vehicle for close to four weeks because the replacement parts are not available. Chrysler updated something that effected the rest of the electronic controls and they didn't test it out first. It has cost me thousands of dollars and the car is still not fixed yet.

- Gainesville, VA, USA

Nov 052013

Commander

While driving my Jeep will go from D to N. it will place a box around all gears and I will be in neutral. It typically happens when I first take off or when I stop at a light or a stop sign. When I first take off it will rev really high and not shift down automatically like it should, when I take my foot of the accelerator the car jolts and I'm in neutral, I have to physically put it in neutral or park in order for it to go back to drive. When I stop at a red light it jolts and now is in neutral and again I have to either put it in park or neutral in order for it to go back into drive. I have contacted Jeep because there was a recall for this very problem, however the part that is on my Jeep is a different serial number that the recall and they refuse to recall it also even though it does the exact same thing and throws the vehicle into neutral while I'm driving!

- Kansas City, MO, USA

Jan 042014

Commander

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. The contact stated that the transmission would remain in fwd low whenever the vehicle was stationary or she was driving. The vehicle was towed to an authorized dealer who stated that the transfer case needed to be replaced; however, the part was unavailable to perform the repair. The expected date for the part to arrive was April of 2014. The manufacturer was notified of the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 75,000.

- Onarga, IL, USA

Oct 162013

Commander

The contact owns 2006 Jeep Commander. The contact stated that while driving approximately 70 mph, the four wheel drive light suddenly flickered on and off as then the transmission erroneously shifted into the a lower gear. The failure caused the vehicle to suddenly decelerate. The contact stated the vehicle was diagnosed by the dealer but not repaired. The contact was informed that the vehicle's transfer case motor had malfunctioned and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified and no solution was offered. The failure mileage was 76,000. The VIN was not available.

- Lexington, MO, USA

Dec 232013

Commander 8-cyl

2006 Jeep Commander 4.7L V8 stalls when coming to a stop. Multiple instances (over 12) between the first occurrence approximately mid December 2013 and today 11 January 2014. All stalls happened when coming to a stop except for one instance when it stalled while in reverse. A drop in rmps and lighting/instrument failure accompanies the stall. Chrysler's recall N32 was completed October 2013. Vehicle has been owned since early 2011 with no stalling of this type having occurred prior to this. No instrument panel indication (e.g. check engine light) accompanies the stall. Vehicle restarted on all occasions after shifting to park or neutral.

- Mount Horeb, WI, USA

Dec 312013

Commander 8-cyl

Chrysler released the N23 recall to update the final drive controller, this update has affected the transfer case motor function. My 2006 Commander has had a catastrophic failure and cannot be fixed. The Jeep dealer informed me that Chrysler has pulled all the replacement parts from the supply system (transfer case motor) and there is no timeline for availability. There is no substitute parts to fix, nor aftermarket option. My car is worthless now!

- Harker Heights, TX, USA

Dec 202006

Commander

I had the N-23 recall completed. Currently still having the same issue with my 4 wheel drive.

- Glassboro, NJ, USA

Jan 052014

Commander 8-cyl

I am writing this because I received a recall (N26) for my 2006 Jeep Commander. I took my car in to get the recall fixed to huntington beach Jeep off beach blvd. On Nov. 7th 2013 and they did the service, but ever since they "fixed" the recall my car has now been saying "service 4WD? and not shifting into 4WD. I took the car back into huntington beach Jeep on Jan 7th 2014 and I thought it could be an easy fix but I got a call saying it could be the ?main transfer case? and once that is fixed it could also be the front and/or rear transfer cases as well. They recommended I start off with replacing the main transfer case and then go from there which would cost me around $800+. so since all my car needs all these parts replaced, I started becoming very concerned and I just don"T understand how these parts could ware out or brake when just about a month ago during inspection hb Jeep passed all these transfer case parts with a green (excellent) service review. How could in one month all these parts break when I couldn"T even use my 4WD, and its frustrating because my 4WD was working fine before I took it in to get this recall update and now all these problems seem to be appearing. Last but not least I know with my car being a 2006 its anything but new but I probably use my 4WD a hand-full of times a year and to think that these parts are worn out or broken just seems very unusual. I spent sometime online researching to see if anyone else has had this ?N26 recall issue? and there is thousands of people who are having this same situation. I?M writing this E-mail hoping that someone can please help me and everyone else having this ?N26 recall issue" problem get settled. I am just a 23 year old college student and to hear that all of a sudden your car needs hundreds of dollars invested in it when it was working fine before I took it in to this recall is just frustrating.

- Huntington Beach, CA, USA

Oct 242013

Commander 8-cyl

Had recall N23 performed in October. During last snow storm went to use 4lo and got a "service 4wheel" and 4lo would not engage. After doing some research on Jeep forums found this to be a recurring problem with many folks who have this recall/re-flash done on the final drive.

- Pascoag, RI, USA

Aug 192013

Commander

My Jeep has been having issues where I will be driving and service park assist system comes on dash board and on the prnd boxes come around it and the car stales. If I try to go the car won't go but RPM go up. The only way I go is I to put it in park then back in drive many times I have to put hazard lights on so that I don't get rear ended. Sometimes when you go into drive it will jerk and then you will see the boxes around the prnd that's when I have to shift back into park wait for boxes to go off then drive. There is also orange light on dash that comes on. Took to repair shop and code was reading U0404. This problem is getting worse and doing it all the time while driving I am afraid to drive it because I have 6 month old baby and 4 year old in the car.

- Kearney , NE, USA

Aug 072013

Commander

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the vehicle was shifted into neutral independently. The contact mentioned that the vehicle was repaired under NHTSA campaign number: 13V175000 (electrical system, power train) however, the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the technician confirmed that the transfer case was defective and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure and current mileage was 106,000.

- Lebanon, TN, USA

Oct 022013

Commander

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the vehicle failed to shift into neutral. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where the technician diagnosed that the transfer case electric shift motor was defective and needed to be replaced. The failure recurred. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 55,500 and the current mileage was 56,000.

- East Point , FL, USA

Aug 012013

Commander 8-cyl

2006 Jeep Commander electrical system recall 13V175000 NHTSA: Action number: N/a service bulletin number: 13V175000 I had my Commander taken to the local Jeep dealer to perform the recall. After the recall was performed my car would not shift into 4lo, and I got a service light. I returned my car to the dealer twice more to redo the recall. My 4lo would work for a few days then it would again not work and the service light would return. My dealer then ordered a transfer case shift actuator under warranty, and assured me this would fix the problem. After the actuator was installed, I had no problems for about 2 months. I really thought it was fixed for good. Then, the problem returned. I have since talked to others who have had this recall done, and they also complain about the loss of 4lo, and a service light afterward. These problems were non existent prior to the recall in most cases. I believe this recall should be looked at, and recalled again to fix this recall induced problem.

- Del Rio, TX, USA

Nov 022013

Commander

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. The contact stated that after servicing the vehicle under NHTSA campaign number: 13V175000 (electrical system, power train), the four wheel drive feature failed to operate. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the contact was advised that the transfer case motor actuator needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure and current mileage was 118,000.

- Houston , TX, USA