Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Whenever a new product is introduced, there's bound to be some problems. And man oh man, does the 2006 Commander have some problems.

It's the plight of the 1st-generation adopter: you get the newest and shiniest in exchange for a handful of issues that get ironed out in future versions. But what happens when that handful of issues becomes a bucketload? The 2006 Commander has quality control issues like the door handles breaking off and the sunroof leaking. But what's truly worrisome is the electrical problems like the vehicle shutting down unexpectedly, gauges going crazy or the cruise control having a mind of its own.

Bottom line: if you want a Jeep Commander, you're better off looking at a later model year.

2006 Jeep Commander drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Jeep Commander:

2006 Jeep Commander Owner Comments (Page 9 of 9)

Oct 262010

Commander 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. While driving approximately 60 mph, the vehicle suddenly stalled. The contact pulled over and after several attempts, was able to restart it. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer but the failure could not be diagnosed. The contact also stated that the vehicle would experience a hard shift and hesitation when she tried to accelerate. Updated 5/9/11 the consumer stated when she attempted to start the vehicle, the ignition key would not start the vehicle, it would take several more times to try and get the vehicle started. Also, when acceleration, the vehicle would hesitate and then stall. The transmission was making loud noises when shifting and the transmission light has since illuminated. The tail light lamps seals were broken and water was seeping inside. Updated 08/22/11

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Jul 192010

I'm a owner of a 2006 Jeep Commander limited and starting to become frustrated and scared to drive this beautiful car. The problem is that the car stalls out (looses power, electrical, power brakes/ steering, everything) when slowing down at a red light, stop sign, parking spot, etc. I have contacted the dealer and several repair shops concerning this problem and they all tell me that they have no idea what it could be and there are no recalls on the issue. Just wanted to see what if anything you suggest for me to do as this I not the first time this has happened and probably not the last. Thanks

- Murfreesboro, TN, USA

Jun 292010

Commander 4WD

2006 Jeep Commander limited 4X4, 5.7liter hemi. Vehicle stalls while driving at low speed. Dealer can not replicate problem. Problem occurred while under warranty but warranty has since expired. Vehicle currently has 42000 miles. Jeep was contacted and stated that since the vehicle is no longer under warranty and the problem could not be duplicated it is now my problem. They further stated that they have never heard of this problem before although through research on the internet it is a common problem and has been reported numerous times.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Jun 212010

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. She stated while at a traffic stop, the vehicle sporadically stalled and restarted itself repeatedly. The dealer advised a diagnostic test to determine the failure. The manufacturer stated there were no recalls on the vehicle and would not provide any assistance. The vehicle was neither diagnosed nor repaired. The failure and current mileages were 43,000.

- La Mesa, CA, USA

Jun 152006

Leased a 2006 chrsyler Jeep Commander brand new off the car lot to experience stalling multiple times approximately 2-3 months from the beginning of my lease. Stalling occurred over 12X. I took the car in for servicing more than 4 times to be told that the car's computer was not registering the problem. Then, I filed under the Florida state lemon law to receive not action. Presently, I have been in litigation vs. Chrysler, under the warranty act, since to no avail.

- Miramar, FL, USA

May 152009

I have owned a 2006 Jeep Commander from brand new since June 10 2006. I have had over 5 occurrences of the vehicle stalling when I come to a stop sign, or stop light. Almost every time I have reported it to the local Jeep dealer. On about the second or third report when I brought it there, they claimed I had carbon build up on the throttle blade which can cause it to stall. That still didn't fix the problem. It has happened a few more times, and it has happened today. I googled Jeep Commander stalling and there was a forum with this link in it. Also the transmission is delayed in engaging at certain times.

- Manville, NJ, USA

Apr 252009

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. In may of 2006, the contact began experiencing issues with the transmission and electrical system in his vehicle. The vehicle would not change gears and the instrument panel lights were constantly illuminated. He took the vehicle to the dealer three times and they reprogrammed the computer, which allowed the vehicle to perform normally for a while. On April 25, 2008, the vehicle shut off and remained locked in third gear while driving 10 mph. The contact was able to drive the vehicle to his residence. The dealer stated that there was no recall. Previously, the contact took the vehicle to a repair shop to be diagnosed and was informed that the control module failed; however, the dealer continues to state that there is no failure. The failure mileage was 18,166 and current mileage was 85,000.

- Peterman , AL, USA

Jun 142008

I own a 2006 Jeep Commander. I got notice for a recall on it, recall H19 about bad software programmed into the powertrain control module. I took it in and 2 days later my transmission locked into 3rd gear. I'm not a mechanic but I do know that the transmission is powertrain. I took it in to get check and they said I need a new solenoid which gets its signal to switch gears from the powertrain control module. They won't cover it though. I called Jeep and they also said they won't cover it. I ask the garage if they could change it back to the way it was before the recall and they said no. My Jeep was running fine before I brought it in for the recall. Anyways after arguing with everyone about it I gave up and decided I'll pay for it, but come to find out, a transmission solenoid pack for Jeep Commanders are on factory backorder and don't know when they'll get the part. So that goes to say that alot of Jeep Commanders transmission solenoids are going bad. I was driving when the transmission locked into 3rd gear, the vehicle gave us a jerk when it shifted down to 3rd gear, from then on it wouldn't go into another gear.

- Hogansburg, NY, USA