CarComplaints.com Notes: Whenever a new product is introduced, there's bound to be some problems. And man oh man, does the 2006 Commander have some problems.

It's the plight of the 1st-generation adopter: you get the newest and shiniest in exchange for a handful of issues that get ironed out in future versions. But what happens when that handful of issues becomes a bucketload? The 2006 Commander has quality control issues like the door handles breaking off and the sunroof leaking. But what's truly worrisome is the electrical problems like the vehicle shutting down unexpectedly, gauges going crazy or the cruise control having a mind of its own.

Bottom line: if you want a Jeep Commander, you're better off looking at a later model year.

2006 Jeep Commander electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Jeep Commander:

2006 Jeep Commander Owner Comments (Page 10 of 30)

Jun 112015

Commander

My airbags in my vehicle would shut off on there own then my lights started turning on and off as I drove.. thats the start..one day im driving home with my kids and my car stalls out in the middle of the road tryed everything wouldnt start but windows worked except front and lights but no power. I had it towed to Jeep and they insisted it was my battery.I go get my truck and as im driving all my lights come back on and all my gauges no longer worked, airbags no longer worked. They put it on the computer and P41 code came on which is my ignition switch recall from Chrysler.Jeep had me contact Chrysler and they said that part wont be available no time soon and they were going to put me in a rental. The next day Chrysler contacted Jeep and then Jeep said they have no idea its some electrical but they cant guarantee so I called the manager and told them its unacceptable I am without a car because Chrysler wont fix the recall its a safety issue and they told me they cant do anything

- Cape Coral, FL, USA

Jul 272015

Commander

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. While driving approximately 60 mph, the vehicle stalled, the power steering failed, and the door locks malfunctioned. The contact was locked inside the vehicle for over an hour. The vehicle restarted and was driven to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the ignition switch needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 125,000.

- Centerville, MI, USA

Jan 062014

Commander 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. While driving at 65 mph, the vehicle stalled. The contact was able to restart the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The technician diagnosed that the ignition key assembly was defective. The vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V438000 (electrical system); however, the part needed to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer had exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 160,000.

- Eddy, TX, USA

Jul 012015

Commander

Just as I was slowing down to 30 mph to enter a parking lot the entire dashboard lit up and then all lights faded and turned off. The ac turned off and the radio turned off. The car still continued driving but the power steering was gone, causing the car to shake and jolt mid turn. The brakes weren't working as they normally would resulting in a very dangerous situation had any other car been close to me at the time. I took it to my mechanic right away and he tested everything, including the alternator and the battery. Everything was functioning at 100% capacity and he couldn't find a reason for the check engine light to be on. This has happened 3 more times. I am unable to drive the vehicle in fear that it will break down or my family or another driver.

- Leigh High Acres, FL, USA

Mar 142014

Commander

Often my whole electrical system will flash on and off and has since Jan 2009. Three times since March of last year vehicle has turned its self off while driving (complete steering loss), fortunately at low speed. Also, in 2010 ( I have repair receipt) my transmission control module went out. I had to pay a $200 copay per request of Jeep to have it replaced, after much argument. They said my particular 2006 Jeep Commander wasn't part of the recall, as was all other failing parts included on 2006 Commander recalls, excepting ignition. Still waiting on ignition fix, its been a year.

- Springdale, AR, USA

Sep 102014

Commander

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V438000 (electrical system); however, the part needed to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Labelle, FL, USA

Feb 192014

Commander

I purchased my Jeep Commander on February 12, 2014. A week after I purchased it my check light came on so I took it back to the dealership. It was for my catalytic converter. The people in the garage stated it was just a sensor and not to worry about it I told them to fix it while it was still covered under my warranty. They wouldn't. the next day all of the dome lights and dashboard lights in my truck started flickering while driving down the road. (still does it to this day). Soon after my brakes went out on me while driving down the road with my kids so I had to get the calipers and everything changed. Next it was the windows they all stopped working. The end of January 2015, while driving down the road again with my children, all of the lug nuts and bolts fell off of my tire rear passenger side tire. I ended up calling the tow truck and took it back to the dealership where I bought it. $2500 and two weeks later I get my truck back, have it for a day & it starts jerking on my way to work. They fixed everything that had to do with my tires and suspension. They also inform me I need my catalytic converter changed after they told me not to worry about it it's just the sensor acting funny. (it could've been fixed when I asked them to do it while it was covered under my warranty) now my lights start flashing my wheel speed sensors aren't working and is messing with my ABS system and traction. They just tell me to shut the traction off while I'm driving it should fix the problem. I end up taking it back in the shop. A month later I'm driving home from work and my serpentine belt busts and I lose control of my truck. Another $500 dollar job. Present day, my truck is back in the shop for a routine brakes and rotors fix and they call and say I need my outer tirods fixed and rear axle something. I've put more money into this truck than I've paid for it in the past year.

- Salamanca, NY, USA

Jul 212015

Commander

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. The contact stated that the vehicle was inoperable. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V438000 (electrical system); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The VIN was invalid. The failure mileage was 65,956.

- Hobartt, IN, USA

Jul 202015

Commander

I received a safety recall on 9/9/2014 for part P41/NHTSA 14V-438 ignition switch to this date the dealer has not call me to replace this part right now my Jeep won't start, and before this happen while I was driving the engine loss power why is taking so long to replace this part "?" I have to fix my car, it won't start let me know something about this part updated 09/15/15

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Mar 172015

Commander

This problem happens randomly. All dash lights come on and off, speedometer and tach goes to zero and air bag, ABS and stabillty control warning comes on and stays lit till I restart engine and multiple error codes. It seems to be getting worse. Called dealer and they said they do not have he parts to fix the recall as of yet.

- Willoughby Hills, OH, USA

Apr 222015

Commander

Dash lights flash on/off, gauges go to zero, air bag indicator comes on, anti skid brakes go out then come back on. When will Chrysler have fix? recall has been issued but no fix yet.

- Bryantsville, KY, USA

Jul 212014

Commander

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V438000 (electrical system); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Minocqua, WI, USA

- Mundelein, IL, USA

Nov 122014

Commander

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. While driving at any speed, the vehicle would stall and the catalytic, eps, and ABS lights illuminated. The failure recurred several times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V438000 (electrical system) and stated that the parts needed for the recall repair were not available. The manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 62,000.

- Santana, CA, USA

Commander 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. The contact stated that the engine stalled numerous times without warning. The vehicle was able to restart. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V438000 (electrical system); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown. Updated 09/03/15 updated 12/16/2015

- North Dartmouth, MA, USA

Jul 032014

Commander

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. While driving at various speeds, the vehicle stalled. The contact was able to restart the vehicle. The contact was a certified mechanic who diagnosed that the ignition switch needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V438000 (electrical system); however, the part needed to repair the vehicle was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 140,000.

- Senoia, GA, USA

Jun 212015

- Rever, MA, USA

Jun 112014

Commander

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V438000 (electrical system); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Lake Forest, CA, USA

Commander

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V438000 (electrical system); however, the part to do the repair was not available. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time to repair the vehicle. While driving approximately 20 mph, the engine seized. The approximate failure mileage was 90,000.

- Bakersfield, CA, USA

Mar 012014

Commander 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. While driving at 65 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was maneuvered to the shoulder and was successfully restarted after several attempts. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The technician was unable to diagnose or repair the vehicle. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V438000 (electrical system); however, the part needed to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 52,000. Updated 09/03/15 updated 09/10/15

- Apopka, FL, USA