CarComplaints.com Notes: Whenever a new product is introduced, there's bound to be some problems. And man oh man, does the 2006 Commander have some problems.

It's the plight of the 1st-generation adopter: you get the newest and shiniest in exchange for a handful of issues that get ironed out in future versions. But what happens when that handful of issues becomes a bucketload? The 2006 Commander has quality control issues like the door handles breaking off and the sunroof leaking. But what's truly worrisome is the electrical problems like the vehicle shutting down unexpectedly, gauges going crazy or the cruise control having a mind of its own.

Bottom line: if you want a Jeep Commander, you're better off looking at a later model year.

2006 Jeep Commander electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Jeep Commander:

2006 Jeep Commander Owner Comments (Page 24 of 30)

May 192013

Commander 6-cyl

Was going to get gas turned on the engine would not turn over lights would not work. Tried to jump the the truck and it still would not start. It looks like it might be an electrical issue.

- Rock Island, IL, USA

Jul 152011

Commander

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. The contact stated that while stopped, she attempted a right turn but the vehicle would not accelerate. Additionally, the instrument panel warning lights illuminated intermittently while the contact was driving at different speeds. The vehicle would also not shift out of neutral. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis where the technician stated that the ECM would have to be replaced. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign number: 13V175000 (electrical system, power train) but was advised by the manufacturer that the VIN was not included in the recall. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 50,000.

- Girard, OH, USA

Apr 212013

Commander

My 2006 Commander stopped accelerating in fact it felt like I was driving against a wind blowing headon faster then I was driving, then the Jeep started jumping like a hick-up then my tail lights stopped working and lower dash lights went out and my warning lights in dash came on, the vehicle stalls out at idle or at start of acceleration not very good took to dealer was told I need a new front control module and new cooling fan, nwe speed relay costing $1063 im not to sure about it and they tell me that it has no recall ??

- Umatilla, OR, USA

Feb 282012

Commander

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. The contact stated that while at a complete stop, the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis. The technician stated that the wiring in the starter would have to be replaced. Additionally, the exterior lighting intermittently failed and the front driver side window intermittently failed while being opened or closed. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 50,000.

- Mattapan, MA, USA

Feb 112013

Commander 4WD 8-cyl

Vehicle is a 2006 Jeep Commander 4X4 limited with the 4.7L engine. Vehicle has suddenly stalled 4 times while driving in the last 6-8 weeks. Vehicle stalled while backing out of parking space, driving 15-20 mph on a city street, while idling at a stop sign, and while accelerating from a stop light. These are the first occurrences in the 4 years we have owned the vehicle.

- Bolingbrook , IL, USA

Aug 172011

Commander

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, all the warning lights illuminated. The headlights also failed intermittently. The failure recurred numerous times over the course of a year. The vehicle was taken to dealer where the contact was informed that the battery would need to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred. The dealer informed the contact that the failure could not be diagnosed. The manufacturer was notified but offered no assistance. The vehicle had not been repaired. The failure mileage was 50,000 and the current mileage was 72,000.

- Matteson, IL, USA

Nov 202012

Commander 6-cyl

While driving down the road, the entire cluster of instrument warning lights begins to flash intermittently, creating a distraction and safety hazard while driving. In addition, the fuel gauge drops to "E", the speedometer drops to zero and then goes up and down and all gauges go up and down erratically. Also, the heated seats turn off as does the fan for the heater/ac unit. Verified with local mechanic that this is not related to the ignition switch and is most likely an ECM and/or PCM issue. Replaced battery but problem still exists. Engine malfunction indicator light comes on for several cycles, computer reboots itself and then the trouble starts again shortly after. This appears to be an ongoing issue with the 06 Commander but my VIN was not included in the ECM/PCM recall (08V203000) because I have the 6-cylinder rather than the 8 cylinder engine. This is a safety hazard while driving and I just feel fortunate that as of yet, my car is not stalling like so many others. However, I feel my issue is related to this same recall and want to have it on file.

- Ashland, VA, USA

Nov 012012

Commander

Interior and exterior lights will intermittently go off and on at the same time. On a freeway at 65mph this is not acceptable.

- Massillon, OH, USA

Jul 072011

Commander

I was driving along the highway, when the vehicle stalled and all of the lights came on. I pulled to the side of the road and restarted it and drove away. After taking it in I was told it was a problem with crankshaft position sensor and that it needed to be replaced. After replacing the crankshaft position sensor and driving it back up to the mountains, it happened again. Same problem. I replaced the crankshaft position sensor for a second time. 6 months later a similar problem happened but instead of shutting down the car just sputtered and the engine light came on and started blinking. After taking it in the shop said that the 02 sensor needed replacing. I had passenger front O2 sensor replaced last month, and now it is happening again. The shop is now saying that the PCM is bad and that needs to be replaced. When will this end?

- Englewood, CO, USA

Oct 172012

Commander

Just dropped my children off - on my way to work again - going approx 40-45 mph..... all of a sudden I feel a slight jerk and my car completely shuts off. (key still in on position-so no, my knee did not hit the keys) brakes - electrical - engine - all went out. I coasted to the side of the road. Waited about 10 mins after speaking with my husband - started it back up engine light was on.... I P laced my hazards on and proceeded to continue down the road - at this point I am approx 15-20 miles from work.

- Lugoff , SC, USA

Aug 152012

Commander 4WD 8-cyl

I purchased this vehichle in Aug of 2012 and have been having electrical issues that have caused my vehichle to shut of while driving. I have also had issues with starting because the electrical system is failing.I have researched this issue and there are already many complaints on this vehichle with the same issues I'm having. I am very disappointed in this vehichle after spending the money to purchase it with 44,000 miles on it and have had nothing but issues with the electrical system, dash lights, and battery.

- Oakwood, OH, USA

Aug 102012

Commander

Vehicle stalled while exiting parking lot. It has stalled a few times prior to this incident and continues to do so. The dealership could find nothing wrong.

- St. Augustine, FL, USA

Oct 012011

Commander

Out of the blue the whole radio/cd/navigation console went out! the radio still works, but only the preset stations and I can only control it from the steering wheel. Then I noticed that the air bag light(on instrument panel) is turning on and off and beeping each time. There have also been water issues coming from the sunroof, soaking the floor boards in mainly the passenger side but sometimes also the drivers side. This only happens when the vehicle is parked.

- Palm Coast, FL, USA

Mar 222012

Commander 4WD 8-cyl

My Jeep cuts off going about 70 mph down the highway. I have had to stafford Jeep in winchester va 4 times and they can not seem to find the problem. The was a recall on the PCM module but they assure me that the recall was done correctly. Now the Jeep had throttle control issues. It will speed up and lose power. This has cause other issues as now my Jeep is mis firing. Stafford Jeep wants to charge me for all of this and I believe it has something to do with the control modules.

- Inwood, WV, USA

Apr 022012

Commander

Driver side floor has had approx 1-2 inches of water after raining on multiple occasions. Local Jeep dealer said the sunroof drain was clogged. This has never happened while driving, only when the vehicle is parked. It's pretty pricey to have these drains unclogged and from reading all the other complaints about this same problem on edmunds, it is a consistent service that needs done. I am very frustrated because this sounds like a defect on Chrysler's part, but nothing has been done about it. When this water floods my floor it stinks in the vehicle. I also notice flies and gnats. I am afraid of mold, dry rot and electrical issues. My radio is going out and I believe the water has something to do with this. I never had problems with the radio until this started. The screen is no longer clear, the gps doesn't work, the uconnect hands free doesn't work properly anymore and the radio randomly changes stations on its own.

- Elkview, WV, USA

Aug 082007

Commander

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. The contact started the ignition and the entire instrument panel began to illuminate intermittently. The failure also occurred whenever driving at various speeds. The vehicle was taken to both an authorized dealer and an independent auto mechanic for diagnosis numerous times. The technicians were unable to determine cause of failure. The manufacturer was not notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 5.

- Long Pond, PA, USA

Jul 272012

Commander

While driving at aprox 45mph, with no warning my Jeep stalled out leaving me with no power anything. After 5 minutes started up with check engine light on. Tried to get it to my home about 5 minutes away stalled again without warning. Did manage to get it home this however is not the only time this has happened, started happening in May 2012 samething. Had it towed to dealer which they charged me $234 to find nothing wrong with it and 11/2weeks with no vehicle. This is very dangerous how at any speed vehicle stalls with no warning!!!!! I should add I just had the flash recall done on the vehicle for the otc module on 4/13/12.

- Columbia, CT, USA

Apr 012011

Commander 4WD 8-cyl

The instrument warning lights will flash on and off. This includes the speedometer and the odometer which will drop to zero. Also, the HVAC fan will cut out when this is happening. Headlights do not flash on and off and the engine has never cut out. Sometimes the warning lights will remain off along with the gauges for several seconds. This occurs randomly and occurs at all speeds. The truck starts without issue. The flashing can occur immediately or at random times while driving.

- Chesapeake, VA, USA

Jul 022009

Commander

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. The contact stated that the warning lamps on the instrument panel would flicker on and off sporadically. The contact also mentioned that the vehicle stalled several times immediately after the failure. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who was unable to diagnose the problem. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 70,000 and the current mileage was 104,000.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Apr 092008

Commander

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. The contact stated that while driving 30 mph, the instrument panel lights and center console lights flashed continuously, distracting the contact from driving at night. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer but the dealer could not duplicate the problem. The contact stated that the turn signals were also defective. The contact replaced the battery but the replacement only remedied the issue temporarily. The failure mileage was 52,000.

- Brookneal, VA, USA