CarComplaints.com Notes: Whenever a new product is introduced, there's bound to be some problems. And man oh man, does the 2006 Commander have some problems.

It's the plight of the 1st-generation adopter: you get the newest and shiniest in exchange for a handful of issues that get ironed out in future versions. But what happens when that handful of issues becomes a bucketload? The 2006 Commander has quality control issues like the door handles breaking off and the sunroof leaking. But what's truly worrisome is the electrical problems like the vehicle shutting down unexpectedly, gauges going crazy or the cruise control having a mind of its own.

Bottom line: if you want a Jeep Commander, you're better off looking at a later model year.

2006 Jeep Commander electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Jeep Commander:

2006 Jeep Commander Owner Comments (Page 24 of 31)

Jan 012012

Commander 6-cyl

While driving, Jeep Commander will randomly jump to neutral and when press gas will rev up only. Have to either manually shift the gear to neutral then back to drive or pullover turn off Jeep and star back up. The physical shifter does not move to neutral position just the actual gear. Does at random times and speeds and when it does the Jeep will not accelerate which can cause accidents especially on highways.

- Oak Ridge, NC, USA

May 182013

Commander 6-cyl

I was driving down the highway at 55mph. And out of nowhere the car RPM's dropped to 0 and the car died. As I pumped on the gas I looked in the rearview to make sure I was not going to get hit. After that I turned the car off in the middle of the highway and put on my hazards. It then turned on and after will go to 2 RPM's and then start to jerk back and forth. I have taken it to the dealership 3 times so far and as of now the 3rd time and 3rd with a rental it finally happened to the mechanic at the dealership. And he has no clue his words. So in a two week frame time I have only had my Jeep 4 days why because they cant even figure out the problem. I have reported it to Chrysler dealership and checked for a recall and they said there is no recall as of yet. I worry because this could cause a accident and typically I have my wife and two children in the Jeep with me. If U go to carcomplaints.com and look up. This model U will see there are up to 60 more incidents. But the dealership/Chrysler has yet to do anything. Hopefully it does not seriously harm the owner of the Jeep or a person who hits them.

- Glenpool, OK, USA

May 272013

Commander 8-cyl

Traveling at highway speed the blower motor cut off and the lights on that come on when you first turn the key on came on. When that cycle was over the cruise control came on and the vehicle rapidly accelerated. Had to turn the key off to kill the cruise control. This problem with the key hasn't happened while traveling down the road before only while sitting in park. When we purchased the vehicle they replaced the key saying it was the key causing the problem. The problem continued after the key was replaced.

- Mcalester, OK, USA

May 192011

Commander 6-cyl

1st problem was my interior lights flashing on and off. I could not get it to do it while at the dealers. 2008 I thought my transmission was going bad. The dealer said that my transmission had a leak and charged me to replace some part. Then it happened again. Then they said I needed to service the transmission. I am surprised that dealer never mention any problems with the Jeep Commander ( I thought it was just my car) as I have called several times about the car shifting into neutral, and wondering if it was a transmission problem. The problem comes and goes. I just paid my car off, and now when I ride on the express way and go past 60 the enitre car shakes bad. If I hit a bump I can hear something like a crack noise. Sometimes when I make a sharp turn I hear a click click noise. At this I didn't trust the dealer and was thinking that maybe it was my axil. Took it to pet boys and they could find anything wrong with it. They said I needed new tires, so I bought 4. the problem still continued. I am so upset as I am a single mom and just finished paying my car off. I also have had to replace the alternator, radiator, water pump, thermometer, which I though was normal as the car is 2006. Now past 2 days I can smell a funny smelly, white fog comes out of my vents, and the passenger side floor is wet. I googled the problem and it says that it is the "heater core". the tire light is alway on with no flat. The engine light comes on frequently and says check gas cap. So far I have bought 3 gas caps. I can't believe that I struggled to pay this car off and now having all of these problems. I am not sure which problems are normal wear and tear and which ones are a manufacturer problems, but this is a night mare. I am so mad that I ever bought my Jeep Commander. Jeep should be ashamed of themselves.

- Philadelphia , PA, USA

May 192013

Commander 6-cyl

Was going to get gas turned on the engine would not turn over lights would not work. Tried to jump the the truck and it still would not start. It looks like it might be an electrical issue.

- Rock Island, IL, USA

Jul 152011

Commander

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. The contact stated that while stopped, she attempted a right turn but the vehicle would not accelerate. Additionally, the instrument panel warning lights illuminated intermittently while the contact was driving at different speeds. The vehicle would also not shift out of neutral. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis where the technician stated that the ECM would have to be replaced. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign number: 13V175000 (electrical system, power train) but was advised by the manufacturer that the VIN was not included in the recall. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 50,000.

- Girard, OH, USA

Apr 212013

Commander

My 2006 Commander stopped accelerating in fact it felt like I was driving against a wind blowing headon faster then I was driving, then the Jeep started jumping like a hick-up then my tail lights stopped working and lower dash lights went out and my warning lights in dash came on, the vehicle stalls out at idle or at start of acceleration not very good took to dealer was told I need a new front control module and new cooling fan, nwe speed relay costing $1063 im not to sure about it and they tell me that it has no recall ??

- Umatilla, OR, USA

Feb 282012

Commander

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. The contact stated that while at a complete stop, the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis. The technician stated that the wiring in the starter would have to be replaced. Additionally, the exterior lighting intermittently failed and the front driver side window intermittently failed while being opened or closed. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 50,000.

- Mattapan, MA, USA

Feb 112013

Commander 4WD 8-cyl

Vehicle is a 2006 Jeep Commander 4X4 limited with the 4.7L engine. Vehicle has suddenly stalled 4 times while driving in the last 6-8 weeks. Vehicle stalled while backing out of parking space, driving 15-20 mph on a city street, while idling at a stop sign, and while accelerating from a stop light. These are the first occurrences in the 4 years we have owned the vehicle.

- Bolingbrook , IL, USA

Aug 172011

Commander

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, all the warning lights illuminated. The headlights also failed intermittently. The failure recurred numerous times over the course of a year. The vehicle was taken to dealer where the contact was informed that the battery would need to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred. The dealer informed the contact that the failure could not be diagnosed. The manufacturer was notified but offered no assistance. The vehicle had not been repaired. The failure mileage was 50,000 and the current mileage was 72,000.

- Matteson, IL, USA

Nov 202012

Commander 6-cyl

While driving down the road, the entire cluster of instrument warning lights begins to flash intermittently, creating a distraction and safety hazard while driving. In addition, the fuel gauge drops to "E", the speedometer drops to zero and then goes up and down and all gauges go up and down erratically. Also, the heated seats turn off as does the fan for the heater/ac unit. Verified with local mechanic that this is not related to the ignition switch and is most likely an ECM and/or PCM issue. Replaced battery but problem still exists. Engine malfunction indicator light comes on for several cycles, computer reboots itself and then the trouble starts again shortly after. This appears to be an ongoing issue with the 06 Commander but my VIN was not included in the ECM/PCM recall (08V203000) because I have the 6-cylinder rather than the 8 cylinder engine. This is a safety hazard while driving and I just feel fortunate that as of yet, my car is not stalling like so many others. However, I feel my issue is related to this same recall and want to have it on file.

- Ashland, VA, USA

Nov 012012

Commander

Interior and exterior lights will intermittently go off and on at the same time. On a freeway at 65mph this is not acceptable.

- Massillon, OH, USA

Jul 072011

Commander

I was driving along the highway, when the vehicle stalled and all of the lights came on. I pulled to the side of the road and restarted it and drove away. After taking it in I was told it was a problem with crankshaft position sensor and that it needed to be replaced. After replacing the crankshaft position sensor and driving it back up to the mountains, it happened again. Same problem. I replaced the crankshaft position sensor for a second time. 6 months later a similar problem happened but instead of shutting down the car just sputtered and the engine light came on and started blinking. After taking it in the shop said that the 02 sensor needed replacing. I had passenger front O2 sensor replaced last month, and now it is happening again. The shop is now saying that the PCM is bad and that needs to be replaced. When will this end?

- Englewood, CO, USA

Oct 172012

Commander

Just dropped my children off - on my way to work again - going approx 40-45 mph..... all of a sudden I feel a slight jerk and my car completely shuts off. (key still in on position-so no, my knee did not hit the keys) brakes - electrical - engine - all went out. I coasted to the side of the road. Waited about 10 mins after speaking with my husband - started it back up engine light was on.... I P laced my hazards on and proceeded to continue down the road - at this point I am approx 15-20 miles from work.

- Lugoff , SC, USA

Aug 152012

Commander 4WD 8-cyl

I purchased this vehichle in Aug of 2012 and have been having electrical issues that have caused my vehichle to shut of while driving. I have also had issues with starting because the electrical system is failing.I have researched this issue and there are already many complaints on this vehichle with the same issues I'm having. I am very disappointed in this vehichle after spending the money to purchase it with 44,000 miles on it and have had nothing but issues with the electrical system, dash lights, and battery.

- Oakwood, OH, USA

Aug 102012

Commander

Vehicle stalled while exiting parking lot. It has stalled a few times prior to this incident and continues to do so. The dealership could find nothing wrong.

- St. Augustine, FL, USA

Oct 012011

Commander

Out of the blue the whole radio/cd/navigation console went out! the radio still works, but only the preset stations and I can only control it from the steering wheel. Then I noticed that the air bag light(on instrument panel) is turning on and off and beeping each time. There have also been water issues coming from the sunroof, soaking the floor boards in mainly the passenger side but sometimes also the drivers side. This only happens when the vehicle is parked.

- Palm Coast, FL, USA

Mar 222012

Commander 4WD 8-cyl

My Jeep cuts off going about 70 mph down the highway. I have had to stafford Jeep in winchester va 4 times and they can not seem to find the problem. The was a recall on the PCM module but they assure me that the recall was done correctly. Now the Jeep had throttle control issues. It will speed up and lose power. This has cause other issues as now my Jeep is mis firing. Stafford Jeep wants to charge me for all of this and I believe it has something to do with the control modules.

- Inwood, WV, USA

Apr 022012

Commander

Driver side floor has had approx 1-2 inches of water after raining on multiple occasions. Local Jeep dealer said the sunroof drain was clogged. This has never happened while driving, only when the vehicle is parked. It's pretty pricey to have these drains unclogged and from reading all the other complaints about this same problem on edmunds, it is a consistent service that needs done. I am very frustrated because this sounds like a defect on Chrysler's part, but nothing has been done about it. When this water floods my floor it stinks in the vehicle. I also notice flies and gnats. I am afraid of mold, dry rot and electrical issues. My radio is going out and I believe the water has something to do with this. I never had problems with the radio until this started. The screen is no longer clear, the gps doesn't work, the uconnect hands free doesn't work properly anymore and the radio randomly changes stations on its own.

- Elkview, WV, USA

Aug 082007

Commander

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. The contact started the ignition and the entire instrument panel began to illuminate intermittently. The failure also occurred whenever driving at various speeds. The vehicle was taken to both an authorized dealer and an independent auto mechanic for diagnosis numerous times. The technicians were unable to determine cause of failure. The manufacturer was not notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 5.

- Long Pond, PA, USA