CarComplaints.com Notes: Whenever a new product is introduced, there's bound to be some problems. And man oh man, does the 2006 Commander have some problems.

It's the plight of the 1st-generation adopter: you get the newest and shiniest in exchange for a handful of issues that get ironed out in future versions. But what happens when that handful of issues becomes a bucketload? The 2006 Commander has quality control issues like the door handles breaking off and the sunroof leaking. But what's truly worrisome is the electrical problems like the vehicle shutting down unexpectedly, gauges going crazy or the cruise control having a mind of its own.

Bottom line: if you want a Jeep Commander, you're better off looking at a later model year.

2006 Jeep Commander electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Jeep Commander:

2006 Jeep Commander Owner Comments (Page 25 of 30)

Nov 302011

Commander

Electrical dash board blinks while driving, driver's seat moves while driving, when it rains the driver's floor is soaked with water and passenger side floor is wet as well, vehicle jerks while driving. Indication lights pops on dashboard sporadically, radio and navigation doesn't work.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Mar 232012

Commander

The air conditioner made a loud noise and then smoke began pouring out of the engine compartment. I observed smoke coming from the air conditioner compressor. I had to put the fire out with water.

- Clayton, NC, USA

Feb 022012

Commander 4WD 8-cyl

I was driving in my community on a local street at rate of 45 miles hour. For no reason, my 2006 Jeep Commander stalled and I had no power or anything control of the car. Scary to say the least. I had to pull over to the side of the road and restart my car. Now, when I try to start it, the horn will not stop and I cannot turn off my fog lamps or high beams. Now I am mad and want answers. I pay a lot of money to keep this car in good shape, now this.

- Stockton, CA, USA

Mar 052007

Commander 4WD 6-cyl

In the 5 years I have owned the 2006 Jeep Commander it has stalled while driving, stalled while parked. This happens at no set frequency. Sometimes it happens daily, other times it will go for months and not happen. The dash lights repeatedly flash off and on. Some dash lights don't work at all for months then like magic work fine for months. The vehicle sputters when accelerating all the time and at different speeds. If I am crossing or turining I need to make sure I have like 2 miles between me and oncoming traffic in case it decides to not work that time and I get stuck in the intersection. The cruise control no longer works. Luckily the computer went out that controls the cruise so I can't use it. The cruise used to just speed up and slow down on its own. I will be driving along and all of a sudden without notice the car will floor itself and not stop until I put the car in neutral. Regardless of what temperature I have the heater set to there is constantly extremely hot air blowing on my feet. I can not drive without shoes on or the hot air literally burns my feet. Overall- there are some serious electrical and mechanical issues with the Jeep Commander. I googled Jeep Commander and there are hundreds (I am sure thousands) of similar complaints.

- Mayer, MN, USA

Sep 012011

Commander

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. The contact stated that the vehicle stalled while driving at various speeds. The vehicle operated as normal upon restart. The contact also stated that the vehicle would intermittently experience difficulty starting and required a jump start. In addition, the windows would involuntarily begin opening when he intended to close them. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where the contact was informed that the failure could possibly have been due to the electrical system. The battery was replaced but the failures continued. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and informed the contact that the vehicle was not included in the recall associated with NHTSA campaign id number 08V203000 (power train:automatic transmission:control module (tcm, ppm)). No additional repairs were performed. The failure mileage was 60,000.

- Newark, NJ, USA

Feb 012008

Commander 4WD 8-cyl

The interior electrical lighting systems often goes out while driving in below freezing temperatures. This includes all speedometer, tachometer, and dash lights for all controls. This has been a problem since I purchased the vehicle new in February 2007. After five years, the led lights illuminating the switches for the fan speed, temperature control, and heated seats. I reported this under warranty but now I am told I am responsible for repair. The dealership cannot find the electrical fault. The led switch bulbs cannot simply be replaced as the entire unit for each control must be replaced. The engine was making a pinging sound and the dealership diagnosed it wrong 3 times. This should have been repaired under warranty when first reported. Many months later after warranty lapsed the dealership's corrective fix was replacing one side of the engine's hydraulic lifters. This made the problem a bit better but did not resolve it.

- New Albany, OH, USA

Jun 012011

Commander 4WD 8-cyl

2006 Jeep Commander does not start. We have to try about 30 times sometimes to get it to start. It just makes a clicking noise. Also the Jeep Commander will stall while driving. (very dangerous) especially with two kids. Another problem is it gets stuck in low gear or 4X4 (not sure which). I have read complaint after complaint on the internet about these same problems with many many 2006 Commanders. I am very displeased with how Jeep has swept these problems under the carpet. Yes, they have had a few recalls, but nothing to fix these very serious and very dangerous defects. Please help, as we spent a good amount of money on what we thought and needed to be a reliable vehicle. It is not reliable at all.

- Hutchinson, KS, USA

Jan 142012

Commander

The contact owns 2006 Jeep Commander. The contact stated that when trying to start her vehicle it would stall intermittently. The instrument panel speedometer gauge failed and would not display how fast the vehicle was traveling and the windshield wipers would not operate when they were turned on. The vehicle was taken to a dealer who advised her that they were unable to diagnose the failure stated it could be related to the negative side of the can-B bus. The manufacturer was contacted and they offered no assistance. The failure mileage was unknown and the current mileage was approximately 82,000.

- Rineyville, KY, USA

Sep 202011

Commander 4WD 8-cyl

I own a 2006 Jeep Commander ltd. With the 5.7L hemi. Date of manufacturer was 06/06. In the past year my Commander has began stalling out sporadically while stopped completely. It occurs at any time, night or day, usually only when the engine is cold or cool. The problem occurs when I come to a complete stop at a stop sign, stop light, or any other complete stop in drive or reverse. When I come to a complete stop the RPM's drop and the vehicle stalls out. No warning lights or check engine lights show up on the dash. When it occurs at night all the external vehicle lights turn off, thus making me and my vehicle vulnerable to other traffic. It does not trip a code in the computer so the dealer cannot diagnose the problem. The first time I took my vehicle in for maintenance regarding the problem the dealer recommended I replace the egr valve so I did what they recommended. The problem still occurs. The dealer advised me that they cannot duplicate the problem therefore there is nothing they can do to correct the problem. When my vehicle stalls out it typically will do it 3-5 additional times per trip and it happens at least once per week. I have read that numerous people are having the same problems and Jeep has no fix. I am very concerned with this problem because it is unsafe as I was nearly struck by another vehicle. Recently I was traveling down the street at night and was preparing to turn left at a stop light. I stopped in the middle of the intersection to wait for the oncoming traffic to pass, when my car stalled out and all of the lights turned off (headlights, running lights, etc) making my vehicle completely invisible to traffic. I was unable to move the vehicle until I placed it in neutral and had to restart the engine and move out of the intersection. Please look further into this problem with 2006 Jeep Commanders as this is not something that should happen.

- South Milwaukee, WI, USA

Aug 012011

Commander 4WD 6-cyl

This problem happens year round. Once you put the vehicle into drive, all of the shift lights "prnd" light up and the vehicle won't accelerate. If you are already driving down the road/ freeway, it will randomly light up and stop accelerating. When it randomly occurs, it happens with no warning, and you have to attempt to pull the vehicle over to the side of road, put it into neutral or park or restart the vehicle, and attempt it again. The check engine light will come on and the problem will happen repeatedly over a week period, then the problem will stop for a week or two and then resurface at the worst time- for example an intersection, an on-ramp, a busy street, and it has presented huge safety issues for me and my family. Does it take someone dying for this to get recalled? I have read forum after forum of the same issue amongst consumers with my exact make, model, and year (and earlier models) and yet, when I called Jeep, they say they have never heard of it, there is no recall, and I've been turned away.

- Gulfport, MS, USA

May 102010

Commander 4WD 8-cyl

My Commander is stalling while driving. And at times just will not start. Several incidents dating back to years.. I bought this Commander new, no miles. One incident I was driving going over 50 mph and all dash board lights came on and it just stalled. Another time stalled sitting at red light and all dash board lights came on and it stalled. And over 10 times it just won't start. Right now it is broke down, just won't start. Over the years I was told it was the starter it was replace 8/3/2010 (I had to pay for starter, labor and towing) then next time I replaced the battery. And still the same problems. I did a check on recalls and found the 2008 Commanders was recalled for the same reasons. Why haven't the 2006 Commanders been recalled" this is a very serious problem. I could be in a wreck when this happens. I have children in my Commander age 17 months and 8 months. This problem needs to be recalled and fixed. Chrysler knows this is a existing problem for other year Commanders, they fixed them why not mine??" and I feel since Chrysler accepted this recall in other years and if I wreck Chrysler will be responsible for my wreck and any injuries. All I want is for Chrysler to fix my Commander....

- Vanderbilt, PA, USA

Oct 052010

Commander

Multiple times; while driving vehicle stalls. Vehicle fluctuates while idling and then finally stalls.

- Yukon, OK, USA

Jul 242009

Commander 4WD 8-cyl

Problems began 1 day after Commander went in to dealer for the regular 3,000mile oil change, that car was returned to me after that oil change, as 'good to go'; w/in 24 hours of that oil change, the Commander would not start and required a new starter (30K miles). After the starter was replaced, the Commander was stalling if - in the middle of a slight incline it had to brake and then resume - at the resume it would stall. Also, after starter replaced dashboard lights blinking; transmission cooler lines leaking, power steering line from pump to cooler leaking, and front and back brake rotors had to be replaced (42K miles) 60K miles, the cruise control turns on by itself and the rear park assist turns off by itself; the water leak into front passenger well. Speaking with custom relations at Chrysler corporate regarding cruise control, rear assist and water leak problems they told me that they were not aware of these being a problem for most Commander customers; however, Chrysler Jeep is aware of these problems as evidenced by the technical service bulletins published on them yet Chrysler Jeep does not issue a recall/take fiscal responsibility for their manufacturer defects. More: Chrysler Jeep expects me to pay them to diagnose the problems so that then so long as I have paid a dealer to repair them they will consider (not necessarily approve; in the past they have in fact denied me reimbusement to fix these problems for which they have technical service bulletins on) refunding me total or partial cost of repairs. More: I was only informed of a safety recall regarding ebc module (brake) when I called in last week (12/2011) regarding the water leak & cruise control problem. Making this more poignant, the reason for this recall - that I was not notified about when it was first issued- is a brake issue that I had detailed to Chrysler Jeep in 2009!

- New York, NY, USA

Oct 012009

Commander 4WD 8-cyl

I filed a previous complaint regarding my 2006 Jeep Commander 5.7 L hemi regarding the engine light coming on and the hesitation you get when you are driving. I was told that the PCM sensor needed replaced and it has been but the problem is still there. We have had the O2 sensor replaced twice, the gas filter replaced, transmission fluid and filter changed, my Jeep has been in the shop many times for this same problem and they cannot duplicate the problem on some visits. This is a huge safety concern if my Jeep were to stall from hesitation this could cause a deadly accident. I have no idea where to go from here but I will keep on going until I get someone to listen and correct this problem or take these vehicles off the road.

- Sissonville, WV, USA

Oct 012009

Commander 6-cyl

I was driving on the freeway about to go over a bridge when the dashboard light starting blinking on and off. The car then stalled and I lost all functions of the vehicle, I was lucky enough to pull over with out incident. The car then did start right back up. I have had this problem with the dashboard lights and components to blink 2 other times since (taking my kids to school this morning is the most recent time). Luckily the car did not stall these other times. However, when it begins to happen I cannot start freaking out that my car is going to all of a sudden shut down.

- Roseville, CA, USA

Sep 252011

Commander 4WD 8-cyl

I have a 06 Jeep Commander that has been completely shutting down while I'm driving. The rpms go up over 3 and 4 and the gears shifts from high to low. And also my engine light comes on and stays on.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Sep 222011

Commander 4WD 8-cyl

I was pulling out of my driveway when all the instrument lights came on. I thought it had stalled! when I looked down, the ob data screen said AWD system failed. I put it in park turned off the key and tried to restart it and it would not. That's when I looked up and noticed a lot of white smoke coming from the front of my car! within a second it turned to black smoke! I smelled something burning. I hurried up and got my son and I out of the Jeep and backed away, and within a few seconds there was a pop and the Jeep engine compartment was on fire. We called 911.

- Whitehouse, OH, USA

Sep 222011

Commander 4WD 8-cyl

While driving, the instrument panel began flashing all the warning lights several times for a period of 5 minutes. The warning lights that stayed on afterwards: Traction control and electronic stability program and bsp. This could have caused a crash because I was distracted by the malfunction.

- Broken Arrow, OK, USA

Sep 122011

Commander

This has happened twice, I was driving home from work at 55mph with my new born child, and the engine shut off, the electirc shut off and the power sterring quit. The car behind me almost smashed into me. The Jeep came to a stop and then I turned the key and it turned back on. Please help me!

- Bollivia , NC, USA

Sep 012011

Commander

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. The contact stated that the air conditioner, heater and interior and exterior lights would activate sporadically when engaged. The lights would flicker and the air conditioner and heat would shut off and on. When the failure would occur, the vehicle would stall as well and the only warning was that the lights would flicker. The vehicle was not inspected or repaired. The current mileage was 42,000.

- Bethleham, PA, USA