CarComplaints.com Notes: Whenever a new product is introduced, there's bound to be some problems. And man oh man, does the 2006 Commander have some problems.

It's the plight of the 1st-generation adopter: you get the newest and shiniest in exchange for a handful of issues that get ironed out in future versions. But what happens when that handful of issues becomes a bucketload? The 2006 Commander has quality control issues like the door handles breaking off and the sunroof leaking. But what's truly worrisome is the electrical problems like the vehicle shutting down unexpectedly, gauges going crazy or the cruise control having a mind of its own.

Bottom line: if you want a Jeep Commander, you're better off looking at a later model year.

2006 Jeep Commander electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Jeep Commander:

2006 Jeep Commander Owner Comments (Page 1 of 10)

Apr 252014

Commander

Driving home from work yesterday, when my steering wheel suddenly locked and truck started dying, and I almost hit a guard rail. Turned the engine completely off and tried to turn the engine back on, but my truck would not start. Had the truck towed to the dealer that day 04/25/2014. Received a call from the dealer on today's date 04/26/2014; truck needs a new tipm module. A new tipm module was just put in my truck at the same dealer a few days short of a year ago (04/27/2013). Problem is so common with Chrysler that the module is on back order (nationally). There is no recall for this issue and it is seriously dangerous! I have read other complaints in regards to the tipm module (lawsuits as well). Does someone have to die before Chrysler does something? I am now afraid to drive my vehicle after the new tipm module is put in (whenever that will be) or to have passengers ride in my vehicle. Please please please help before someone is seriously injured or killed. I have no idea what I'll do to get back and forth to work because module is on back order and the dealer does not do loaners.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Apr 022014

Commander

The vehicle randomly shuts off. The dash gauges flicker and/or go off for a brief time. If breaks are engaged at that time, ABS stops. If headlights are on auto, they turn off. If turning a hard left or right (such as turning into a driveway, turning on to a street, parking) power steering stops working. If the lights are on but not on auto the lights stay on. The radio stays on. These symptoms would indicate that there is a problem with the ignition switch. When this issue occurs, it seems to stop by pushing on the key. This has happened multiple times. After visiting this page, a log will be created to record date, time, and speed. This is a huge safety issue. After much research many users of internet forums for Jeep, complain about this issue (reference urls can be provided). The NHTSA campaign number: 14V047000 sounds very similar in nature. Could the NHTSA look in to the parts being the same?

- Winterville, NC, USA

Apr 022012

Commander

October, 2013 received notification that there was a safety recall on my 2006 Jeep Commander. (as I have 6 children, this was a prioity to have fixed) I brought my Jeep into the dealership to have the N23 safety recall performed. Come January, 2014 I attempt to activate my 4 wheel low and I get a service light stating "service 4WD". I contact the dealership who had performed the recall and bring it in to be looked at. They run a diagnosis and determine the truck has an internal short in the transfer case. The service tech advised me it is related to the recall but he can not do anything at hte dealer level. I need to call chysler customer service who tells me they will not be doing anything to help. Upon a little research (Jeep forums) it seems there are many (many) others with the sames issues. I am sure I am not the only one to call Jeep wiht this issue and if you clear the codes the 4 wheel low engages so it is not a short. I believe Chrysler Jeep should look into what was performed with the N23 recall and determine how it effected the 4 wheel low on these vehicles. Then reprogram them to work, as they were, at no cost to the owner. Since this was a safety recall I felt I had no option but to have the recall preformed on my vehicle now I have a faulty vehicle. Dealer tells me they need to update 4 wheel drive but cant do it because it is not in the recall this has gone on for way 2 long. I am going to file a complaint with the better business and I ask everyone with this same problem do do it also please complain somewhere so something can be done

- Edinburg , TX, USA

Nov 012013

Commander

This vehicle has numerous recalls related to all the problems our Jeep has. There is 0 recall for our VIN. The vehicle surges when driving up hills. The car won't start sometimes because the shifter control thinks it is in drive when it is in park. The cruise control does not work and the 4 wheel drive kicks in when driving at high speeds and jumps the car.

- Washington, DC, USA

Mar 242014

Commander

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. The contact stated that while traveling various speeds, the vehicle suddenly stalled. The contact also mentioned that the electrical components intermittently failed. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was 60,000. The VIN was not available.

- Covina, CA, USA

Mar 162014

Commander

We started the vehicle and as we started to accelerate the lights in the dashboard and stereo started to flicker and as we when's down the road for about 2 minutes it kept doing it not sure if the main front lights turned off also because it was daytime but now I'm scared of driving my vehicle at night time

- Wilmington, NC, USA

Mar 112014

Commander

While driving the Commander at various speeds everything suddenly turns off. Acceleration is immediately decreased and all dashboard functions are gone. I have to shift to neutral and re-start the engine, all while still driving. This is very dangerous. I have had this car for 2 months.

- Little Rock, AR, USA

Apr 152013

Commander

I purchased my 2006 Jeep Commander from city auto in memphis, tn on 9/14/11 and was told it was a one-owner vehicle originating from the state of Pennsylvania. I noticed hesitatation in the transmission and variances (rough - up and down) in the idling shortly after my purchase. I then started to get the "transmission/engine" light coming on. But it would go away almost as quick as it would come on. I then had my engine stall while driving full speed on the interstate. I lost all power! fortunately, I was able to get over to the shoulder safely! we immediately started doing some research on various forums, including Jeep forum, on the "stalling issue" and "lights coming on intermittently". my husband took it to our local autozone and they hooked it up to their coding scanner machine. It gave us the code to change the map sensor needed to be changed. My husband changed this out last summer (2013). It helped for a litle bit. :( then began having the same issues, stalling out while driving, check engine light coming on/off and rough idling. Husband went back and had them hook up to coding machine and this time was given the code for O2 sensor, which he purchased and changed out. Now it's worse than ever! it won't even stay idled. It stalls almost immediately! I have to keep my foot on the gas (and brake when needed) all the time! if I let it go below 1000rpms it dies! we took it to a mechanic & was told the PCM was bad. But he told us that there were recalls that may fix the issue. So we took it to a dealership who performed the recall but unfortunately it did not fix the problems. This is a very expensive "fix" to a problem that appears to have never have been resolved properly by the manufacturer!! this needs to be addressed by the manufacturer as it is a major driving & safety hazard!

- Marion, AR, USA

Mar 042014

Commander

Bought car used at a dealership, but was not told of recalls or issues. Car stalled on me twice, once in traffic approaching a light and another in a parking lot turning left to weave out of lot. The 4 wheel low was recalled and checked, but problem persist. The engine hesitates while driving, little stumbles and shakes while accelerating. While in park, weird sound is heard from light rev. I have had car for less than 3 days and problems occurred. I have a 2 ton paper weight at the moment as I feel it is unsafe to drive. I now have a decent size transmission leak after I park from short drives. I have but maybe 250 miles on it. I have heard of the 4.7 having some of these issues and a recall has been done, but not for the 5.7L hemi's. I have read numerous complaints on similar issues of exact engine model of Commander, but recalls for it aren't available and only such for the 4.7L version.

- Milwaukee, WI, USA

Feb 132014

Commander

The transfer case motor/actuator will not shift after dealer performed N23 recall on the final drive controller.

- Signal Mountain, TN, USA

Feb 222012

Commander

There is a serious electrical problem with the SUV which started within. The dealers looked at it, I paid for computer diagnostics and still nothing. Besides all the lights flashing on and off, the speedometer fluctuating, actually all the instruments going on and off while I am driving; also, the temperature control panel does not light up when the headlights are on. I have never had an automobile with all these electrical problems that no one can fix. Please recall this vehicle before someone dies. I try not to drive long distances alone because of this problem.

- Loves Park, IL, USA

Jan 092009

Commander

I wrote about this problem several times and realize others also have similar problems. When will Chrysler be forced to recall and fix the problem. Does someone have to die first for this to be considered serious? there is a serious electrical problem with the SUV which started within 3 yrs of having the truck. The dealers looked at it, I paid for computer diagnostics and still nothing. Besides all the lights flashing on and off, the speedometer fluctuating, actually all the instruments going on and off while I am driving; also, the temperature control panel does not light up when the headlights are on. I have never had an automobile with all these electrical problems that no one can fix. Please recall this vehicle before someone dies. I try not to drive long distances alone because of this problem.

- Edison, NJ, USA

Dec 232013

Commander 8-cyl

2006 Jeep Commander 4.7L V8 stalls when coming to a stop. Multiple instances (over 12) between the first occurrence approximately mid December 2013 and today 11 January 2014. All stalls happened when coming to a stop except for one instance when it stalled while in reverse. A drop in rmps and lighting/instrument failure accompanies the stall. Chrysler's recall N32 was completed October 2013. Vehicle has been owned since early 2011 with no stalling of this type having occurred prior to this. No instrument panel indication (e.g. check engine light) accompanies the stall. Vehicle restarted on all occasions after shifting to park or neutral.

- Mount Horeb, WI, USA

Dec 312013

Commander 8-cyl

Chrysler released the N23 recall to update the final drive controller, this update has affected the transfer case motor function. My 2006 Commander has had a catastrophic failure and cannot be fixed. The Jeep dealer informed me that Chrysler has pulled all the replacement parts from the supply system (transfer case motor) and there is no timeline for availability. There is no substitute parts to fix, nor aftermarket option. My car is worthless now!

- Harker Heights, TX, USA

Dec 312013

Commander 8-cyl

All lights on the dash flip off and on in succession and the odometer and tachometer drop to 0 while maintaining speed. Highbeams and headlights also seem to be effected. Happened first on December 31 and has continued happening since this time at random times.

- Bethesda, MD, USA

Oct 242013

Commander 8-cyl

Had recall N23 performed in October. During last snow storm went to use 4lo and got a "service 4wheel" and 4lo would not engage. After doing some research on Jeep forums found this to be a recurring problem with many folks who have this recall/re-flash done on the final drive.

- Pascoag, RI, USA

Nov 142012

Commander 8-cyl

The vehicle will suddenly lose power to the headlights, taillights, instrument panel, speedometer, odometer, and the interior some lights will turn themselves on without cause or warning. In the most recent event, vehicular damage and possible personal injury nearly occurred when driving in the dark, almost striking a utility pole. Also, the automatic window control will not function properly when trying to roll up the window itself. It will stop halfway and bring itself back down. It usually takes 3-4 times to roll the window up. This has occurred numerous times, so many that I can't keep track. The local dealership cannot pinpoint the issue and this vehicle is not safe to be on the road.

- Sevierville, TN, USA

Dec 152013

Commander

Approximately 40 miles from home, on a day with the temperature well below zero degrees Fahrenheit, we rolled our front windows down to talk to our neighbors, who were shopping at the same mall as us. After visiting with them, our windows would not roll back up. Our family had to drive in freezing weather back home, on a Sunday, with the windows rolled down. On the way, by rapidly depressing the windows lock button, while my wife repeatedly pulled up on the front passenger window switch, we got her window to roll up. We never could get the drivers front window to roll up. I replaced the master switch assembly on the drivers door panel, but that did not help. The dealership told me that I probably have multiple broken wires in the wire bundle in the door hinge area. Jeep has not, to my knowledge, addressed this problem at all. The internet forums are chock-full of hundreds and hundreds of consumers that have had, and are having this same problem.

- Sturgis, SD, USA

Aug 012013

Commander 8-cyl

2006 Jeep Commander electrical system recall 13V175000 NHTSA: Action number: N/a service bulletin number: 13V175000 I had my Commander taken to the local Jeep dealer to perform the recall. After the recall was performed my car would not shift into 4lo, and I got a service light. I returned my car to the dealer twice more to redo the recall. My 4lo would work for a few days then it would again not work and the service light would return. My dealer then ordered a transfer case shift actuator under warranty, and assured me this would fix the problem. After the actuator was installed, I had no problems for about 2 months. I really thought it was fixed for good. Then, the problem returned. I have since talked to others who have had this recall done, and they also complain about the loss of 4lo, and a service light afterward. These problems were non existent prior to the recall in most cases. I believe this recall should be looked at, and recalled again to fix this recall induced problem.

- Del Rio, TX, USA

Dec 102011

Commander 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. The contact stated that while driving approximately 60 mph, all of the warning lights illuminated intermittently and the vehicle decelerated independently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis however, the technicians were unable to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 52,000.

- Seattle, WA, USA