CarComplaints.com Notes: Whenever a new product is introduced, there's bound to be some problems. And man oh man, does the 2006 Commander have some problems.

It's the plight of the 1st-generation adopter: you get the newest and shiniest in exchange for a handful of issues that get ironed out in future versions. But what happens when that handful of issues becomes a bucketload? The 2006 Commander has quality control issues like the door handles breaking off and the sunroof leaking. But what's truly worrisome is the electrical problems like the vehicle shutting down unexpectedly, gauges going crazy or the cruise control having a mind of its own.

Bottom line: if you want a Jeep Commander, you're better off looking at a later model year.

2006 Jeep Commander engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Jeep Commander:

2006 Jeep Commander Owner Comments (Page 2 of 8)

Apr 012015

Commander

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. While driving 5 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning twice. The vehicle was taken to a dealer to be repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The VIN was unknown. The failure mileage was 140,000.

- Las Angelos, CA, USA

Jan 252016

Commander

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. While driving approximately 50 mph, the vehicle lost power and stalled without warning. When the vehicle was restarted, it failed to accelerate and the check engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the bank 5 misfired. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 08V203000 (power train). The failure mileage was 165,000. Updated 04/04/16

- Parnell, IA, USA

Jan 022016

Commander

This is in response to the recall for the ignition switch on my 2006 Jeep Commander. My vehicle has had the ignition switch replaced at the dealership but you should know that the replacement does not cure the problems that it was meant to fix. The work was completed at 9:30am and the next time I drove that day, it did the same exact shutdown as it did before (with all lights on the dash flashing).the stalling and shutdown does not occur because of hitting the key with your leg as I am only 5'4" and my leg doesn't touch the ignition. The shutdown occurs because of a short somewhere inside the ignition. It occurs randomly and sometimes can be stopped by lightly turning the key to the left. I have also found that the shutdown occurs at extreme frequency when driving in heavy rain or extremely slushy roads, which tells me that somewhere, something is getting wet and shorting the vehicle out. It is very hard to get the lights to stop flashing in this type of weather and I have had to pull over a couple times because of the danger of stalling in traffic. I am stuck with this dangerous vehicle because of my financial situation and have fought for something to be done about it by the dealer starting 20 days after I bought it but of course nothing was done until the government got involved and sadly it still hasn't cured the problem. I hope you receive more complaints and make the dealership correct the problem the right way.thank you for your time, tracy L.field

- Clarence Center, NY, USA

Nov 182015

Commander

Jeep has total loss of power, control, and steering while driving. Car will no start unless in park or neutral, losses all power electrical and steering once you let foot off of the accelerator. I almost ran into another vehicle while heading hope and was nearly rear ended at another intersection due to stalling and no control. All of this happened within hours of ed voyles Jeep replacing the ignition switch P41 recall. Super super dangerous...

- Smyrna, GA, USA

Nov 012015

Commander

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. While driving at various speeds, the vehicle shook and the engine sensor light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the engine was faulty. The engine was replaced and the failure was remedied. The manufacturer was not notified. The VIN was invalid. The failure mileage was 20,000.

- Mountainside, NJ, USA

May 222015

Commander

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. While driving approximately 70 mph, the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was able to restart and all the warning indicators illuminated. The failure occurred on several occasions. The vehicle was towed to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The technician stated that the computer software could be the cause of the failure. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 115,000.

- Winston Salem, NC, USA

Aug 042015

Commander

1.it leaks. Whenever there is rain I have 2-3 inches of water in the front foot area on both sides. In addition to that water leaks through the lining and front pillars of the truck landing on the dashboard. What is this about? this not only results in my time to drain out the water it also leads to a gross musty smell. After a rain I can hear the water swishing back and forth in ht roof of my car. This is rediculous. Further this issue has done something to the electrical system. 2.the electrical system. The driver's side door window/lock/mirror switches no longer work. So that means that the driver's side window hasn┐T been down in forever. That makes life quite difficult. The next electrical problem is that for no apparent reasons lights come on. As I driving the interior lights just start to shine bright all of them at the same time. One night I woke up at three in the morning to find my headlights on. I tried to turn them off but couldn┐T. it eventually wore the battery out. Lastly electronics wise is my dashboard lights flicker crazy. 3.the door handles. Behind the actual door handle is plastic. This has all broken away. I am sure it is just a matter of time before I can open the doors at all. 4.it just stops running. Five times now as I am driving (streets or highway) the truck has just shut down. Fortunately it starts right back up but this is extemely dangerous. This form asks for dates...all of this is ongoing.

- Binghamton, NY, USA

Jun 102013

Commander

While driving down the road the vehicle engine shuts off; airbag light flashes on as well as dash lights. This has happened approximately 10 times in the middle of a eight lane highway in rush hour. It has torn my nerves all to pieces trying to drive it under these conditions so I had to park it and buy another vehicle. Need action soon. Started approximately 2 years ago and has progressively gotten worse. Notified Chrysler and was told to remove all keys from ring except switch key; did that and it still happens

- Waynesville, NC, USA

Jun 212014

Commander

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. The contact stated that the vehicle revved independently. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V438000 (electrical system) however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 32,000.

- Milwaukee, WI, USA

Oct 312014

Commander

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. While driving approximately 55 mph, the engine stalled and all of the warning lights illuminated. After several attempts, the vehicle restarted. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure and the VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V438000 (electrical system); however, the part to do the recall repair was unavailable. The approximate failure mileage was 147,000.

- Lake Wales, FL, USA

Nov 032014

Commander

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. The contact received NHTSA campaign number: 14V438000 (electrical system:ignition:switch); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The NHTSA campaign numbers were unknown. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Lagrange , TX, USA

Jun 012015

Commander

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. The contact stated that the engine stalled while driving 40 mph. The engine light illuminated when the failure occurred. The vehicle was towed to the dealer for diagnostic testing, which indicated that the engine cylinders failed. The engine needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact received a recall notice for NHTSA campaign number: 14V438000 (electrical system); however; the dealer advised that the part was not available for repair. The manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 135,000.

- Salt Lake City , UT, USA

Aug 072013

Commander

While driving on hwy 97 South, passing through redmond Oregon, the engine on our Jeep Commander shut off. My husband and I had no idea what to make of the engine shutting off. We had not received a recall notice yet. When we did receive recall P41/NHTSA 14V-438 I waited until I would receive the next notification. I have never received a notice or a phone call since the initial notification. I have written to the NHTSA, written to Chrysler group llc and called the chryster group recall assistance center with an assigned customer care number 25941647. I have written to my congressman. I have many times called my local dealer who has give me the same response, "the parts are not available." In good faith I purchased this Chrysler product. My complaint is that Chrysler sent me a notice indicating that my vehicle would be repaired and safe to drive. Chrysler is remiss. My Jeep Commander has yet to be repaired and continues to be unsafe to drive.

- Grass Valley, OR, USA

Nov 152013

Commander

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. The contact stated that when the gear shift was switched into the drive position, the vehicle jerked and the check engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. In addition, the contact received notification of NHTSA campaign: 14V438000 (electrical system) however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 80,000.

- Knoxville, TN, USA

Sep 142013

Commander

P41 recall. Before recall my 2006 Jeep Commander turned off on its own numerous times. This resulted in engine shut down, no electrical system, etc. I have contacted Chrysler several times. I get the same response, part not available. Why" I am told the supplier does not have part. Why not?. this is an old recall, however Chrysler is repairing or buying back newer models of vehicles due to faulty design. 2006 Jeep Commander recall is just as serious as newer recalls. The faulty ignition switch results in entire shut down of Jeep, including air bags. I was told to adjust seat so that knee does not make contact with keys in ignition. What" I suggest that vehicles with faulty ignition switch be a part of the Chrysler buy back or repair immediately. Also, to avoid further serious accidents and possible death resulting form faulty ignition switch.

- Glen Allen, VA, USA

Aug 142015

Commander

I have only the one key on the key chain- I have moved seat back as far as it can go with me being able to still touch the pedel. And my car still cuts off when I riding down street - cuts off for like maybe 5 to 8 sec then kicks back in jolts us forward then I can hit gas-when this happens - I can not hit gas RPM do not move. I have been told numerous times have no clue when my part will be in and I feel my car is not safe to drive.

- Lebanon, OH, USA

Aug 162015

Commander

My family (husband & 2 small children) were driving home on the miami turnpike in crazy traffic. We hit a spot on the road where 2 roads meet and the engine complitley turned off. I freaked out because a car was behind me and it was busy traffic. Once my senses kicked in I started wiggling the key and turned it and the car started back up. I did not want to drive home! my husband called Jeep and they were closed. I called the recall line this morning at 8:00 am and the service was horrible. I was told it is my prerogative to keep driving because they have no fix. I let them know the vehicle is not safe to drive. The supervisor told me there was no fix they could put me on an email list for when a fix is avavilable!!!! are you kidding? then I said what if we die in an accident and sue and she said that's your families prerogative if they want to sue!!!!! I asked to speak to a different supervisor and she flat out said no I have helped you and I will not let you speak to another supervisor!!!!!!

- Ruskin, FL, USA

Aug 072015

Commander

As I was driving down the road my automobile turned off and stopped working while driving! this is very dangerous and is very ridiculous considering I received a recall notice over 1 year ago concerning this problem. I make every attempt to ensure the functions of my vehicle are running properly for the safety of my family. I have young children and they could have been seriously injured had we been involved in an accident at the time of my vehicle's failure to operate correctly, due to the manufacturers irresponsibility of taking care of this problem within a proper time frame! Jeep and local dealers have been contacted multiple times to try to correct this problem, with no help from them it has yet to be repaired!

- Princeton, WV, USA

Jul 182014

Commander

I received a safety recall notice from Chrysler for my Jeep Commander stating that I may experience an unintended change in ignition switch position while driving, which could result in loss of engine power, power steering, and braking, and increases my risk of a crash. I have called Chrysler group recall center 1-800-853-1403, option 6 countless times, unfortunately many times having to hang up after waiting 25 minutes to get through. I have also repeatedly called beyer/Jeep/Chrysler 973-644-3200 and they have been very short with me and tell me the same thing every time I call- they have no date of when the part will be in. When I drive on the highway, I am terrified of losing control of my car. I have seen on the news people that have been in accidents because of this ignition switch and heard that Chrysler has a buyout program. I am interested in finding out about this program because I think that waiting over a year, and with no resolution in sight, is a bit ridiculous and I don't want to become a statistic. Please advice me as to what my next step should be.

- Parsippany, NJ, USA

Feb 062015

Commander

Vehicle loses ignition power when driving at various speeds. Dash cluster warning lights flash multiple times. Speedometer, tachometer, fuel, temp gauges fall to zero point. Steering becomes difficult/inoperable. Vehicle will sometimes regain power. Recall related to ignition switch has been open since September 3, 2014. Manufacturer has not issued any solution/remedy. Manufacturer has suggested "removing extra keys/keychains from ignition key and avoid bumping the ignition key with knees." This is not a remedy. The problem still occurs. This is dangerous. Recall is incomplete. NHTSA recall number: 14V-438 manufacturer recall number: P41

- Chicago, IL, USA