Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Whenever a new product is introduced, there's bound to be some problems. And man oh man, does the 2006 Commander have some problems.

It's the plight of the 1st-generation adopter: you get the newest and shiniest in exchange for a handful of issues that get ironed out in future versions. But what happens when that handful of issues becomes a bucketload? The 2006 Commander has quality control issues like the door handles breaking off and the sunroof leaking. But what's truly worrisome is the electrical problems like the vehicle shutting down unexpectedly, gauges going crazy or the cruise control having a mind of its own.

Bottom line: if you want a Jeep Commander, you're better off looking at a later model year.

2006 Jeep Commander engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Jeep Commander:

2006 Jeep Commander Owner Comments (Page 2 of 8)

May 222015

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. While driving approximately 70 mph, the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was able to restart and all the warning indicators illuminated. The failure occurred on several occasions. The vehicle was towed to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The technician stated that the computer software could be the cause of the failure. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 115,000.

- Winston Salem, NC, USA

Aug 042015

• 10,500 miles leaks. Whenever there is rain I have 2-3 inches of water in the front foot area on both sides. In addition to that water leaks through the lining and front pillars of the truck landing on the dashboard. What is this about? this not only results in my time to drain out the water it also leads to a gross musty smell. After a rain I can hear the water swishing back and forth in ht roof of my car. This is rediculous. Further this issue has done something to the electrical system. 2.the electrical system. The driver's side door window/lock/mirror switches no longer work. So that means that the driver's side window hasn┐T been down in forever. That makes life quite difficult. The next electrical problem is that for no apparent reasons lights come on. As I driving the interior lights just start to shine bright all of them at the same time. One night I woke up at three in the morning to find my headlights on. I tried to turn them off but couldn┐T. it eventually wore the battery out. Lastly electronics wise is my dashboard lights flicker crazy. 3.the door handles. Behind the actual door handle is plastic. This has all broken away. I am sure it is just a matter of time before I can open the doors at all. just stops running. Five times now as I am driving (streets or highway) the truck has just shut down. Fortunately it starts right back up but this is extemely dangerous. This form asks for dates...all of this is ongoing.

- Binghamton, NY, USA

Jun 102013

While driving down the road the vehicle engine shuts off; airbag light flashes on as well as dash lights. This has happened approximately 10 times in the middle of a eight lane highway in rush hour. It has torn my nerves all to pieces trying to drive it under these conditions so I had to park it and buy another vehicle. Need action soon. Started approximately 2 years ago and has progressively gotten worse. Notified Chrysler and was told to remove all keys from ring except switch key; did that and it still happens

- Waynesville, NC, USA

Jun 212014

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. The contact stated that the vehicle revved independently. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V438000 (electrical system) however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 32,000.

- Milwaukee, WI, USA

Oct 312014

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. While driving approximately 55 mph, the engine stalled and all of the warning lights illuminated. After several attempts, the vehicle restarted. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure and the VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V438000 (electrical system); however, the part to do the recall repair was unavailable. The approximate failure mileage was 147,000.

- Lake Wales, FL, USA

Nov 032014

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. The contact received NHTSA campaign number: 14V438000 (electrical system:ignition:switch); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The NHTSA campaign numbers were unknown. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Lagrange , TX, USA

Jun 012015

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. The contact stated that the engine stalled while driving 40 mph. The engine light illuminated when the failure occurred. The vehicle was towed to the dealer for diagnostic testing, which indicated that the engine cylinders failed. The engine needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact received a recall notice for NHTSA campaign number: 14V438000 (electrical system); however; the dealer advised that the part was not available for repair. The manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 135,000.

- Salt Lake City , UT, USA

Aug 072013

While driving on hwy 97 South, passing through redmond Oregon, the engine on our Jeep Commander shut off. My husband and I had no idea what to make of the engine shutting off. We had not received a recall notice yet. When we did receive recall P41/NHTSA 14V-438 I waited until I would receive the next notification. I have never received a notice or a phone call since the initial notification. I have written to the NHTSA, written to Chrysler group llc and called the chryster group recall assistance center with an assigned customer care number 25941647. I have written to my congressman. I have many times called my local dealer who has give me the same response, "the parts are not available." In good faith I purchased this Chrysler product. My complaint is that Chrysler sent me a notice indicating that my vehicle would be repaired and safe to drive. Chrysler is remiss. My Jeep Commander has yet to be repaired and continues to be unsafe to drive.

- Grass Valley, OR, USA

Nov 152013

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. The contact stated that when the gear shift was switched into the drive position, the vehicle jerked and the check engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. In addition, the contact received notification of NHTSA campaign: 14V438000 (electrical system) however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 80,000.

- Knoxville, TN, USA

Sep 142013

P41 recall. Before recall my 2006 Jeep Commander turned off on its own numerous times. This resulted in engine shut down, no electrical system, etc. I have contacted Chrysler several times. I get the same response, part not available. Why" I am told the supplier does not have part. Why not?. this is an old recall, however Chrysler is repairing or buying back newer models of vehicles due to faulty design. 2006 Jeep Commander recall is just as serious as newer recalls. The faulty ignition switch results in entire shut down of Jeep, including air bags. I was told to adjust seat so that knee does not make contact with keys in ignition. What" I suggest that vehicles with faulty ignition switch be a part of the Chrysler buy back or repair immediately. Also, to avoid further serious accidents and possible death resulting form faulty ignition switch.

- Glen Allen, VA, USA

Aug 142015

I have only the one key on the key chain- I have moved seat back as far as it can go with me being able to still touch the pedel. And my car still cuts off when I riding down street - cuts off for like maybe 5 to 8 sec then kicks back in jolts us forward then I can hit gas-when this happens - I can not hit gas RPM do not move. I have been told numerous times have no clue when my part will be in and I feel my car is not safe to drive.

- Lebanon, OH, USA

Aug 162015

My family (husband & 2 small children) were driving home on the miami turnpike in crazy traffic. We hit a spot on the road where 2 roads meet and the engine complitley turned off. I freaked out because a car was behind me and it was busy traffic. Once my senses kicked in I started wiggling the key and turned it and the car started back up. I did not want to drive home! my husband called Jeep and they were closed. I called the recall line this morning at 8:00 am and the service was horrible. I was told it is my prerogative to keep driving because they have no fix. I let them know the vehicle is not safe to drive. The supervisor told me there was no fix they could put me on an email list for when a fix is avavilable!!!! are you kidding? then I said what if we die in an accident and sue and she said that's your families prerogative if they want to sue!!!!! I asked to speak to a different supervisor and she flat out said no I have helped you and I will not let you speak to another supervisor!!!!!!

- Ruskin, FL, USA

Aug 072015

As I was driving down the road my automobile turned off and stopped working while driving! this is very dangerous and is very ridiculous considering I received a recall notice over 1 year ago concerning this problem. I make every attempt to ensure the functions of my vehicle are running properly for the safety of my family. I have young children and they could have been seriously injured had we been involved in an accident at the time of my vehicle's failure to operate correctly, due to the manufacturers irresponsibility of taking care of this problem within a proper time frame! Jeep and local dealers have been contacted multiple times to try to correct this problem, with no help from them it has yet to be repaired!

- Princeton, WV, USA

Jul 182014

I received a safety recall notice from Chrysler for my Jeep Commander stating that I may experience an unintended change in ignition switch position while driving, which could result in loss of engine power, power steering, and braking, and increases my risk of a crash. I have called Chrysler group recall center 1-800-853-1403, option 6 countless times, unfortunately many times having to hang up after waiting 25 minutes to get through. I have also repeatedly called beyer/Jeep/Chrysler 973-644-3200 and they have been very short with me and tell me the same thing every time I call- they have no date of when the part will be in. When I drive on the highway, I am terrified of losing control of my car. I have seen on the news people that have been in accidents because of this ignition switch and heard that Chrysler has a buyout program. I am interested in finding out about this program because I think that waiting over a year, and with no resolution in sight, is a bit ridiculous and I don't want to become a statistic. Please advice me as to what my next step should be.

- Parsippany, NJ, USA

Feb 062015

Vehicle loses ignition power when driving at various speeds. Dash cluster warning lights flash multiple times. Speedometer, tachometer, fuel, temp gauges fall to zero point. Steering becomes difficult/inoperable. Vehicle will sometimes regain power. Recall related to ignition switch has been open since September 3, 2014. Manufacturer has not issued any solution/remedy. Manufacturer has suggested "removing extra keys/keychains from ignition key and avoid bumping the ignition key with knees." This is not a remedy. The problem still occurs. This is dangerous. Recall is incomplete. NHTSA recall number: 14V-438 manufacturer recall number: P41

- Chicago, IL, USA

Jul 222015

I was driving down the interstate and the engine completely shut off. One of the scariest things I have ever experienced. Luckily traffic was minimal at the time, but in traffic, it could have been a huge disaster.

- St Petersburg, FL, USA

Jul 152015

Commander 4WD 8-cyl

My family and I were driving down the highway at 75 mph and without any warning, the engine died. When the engine died, the engine indicator light came on. Power steering and braking were fine at first. I steered the car to the side of the road. Before coming to a stop, the power steering stopped working. Once on the side of the road, I turned the ignition off and then tried to restart the vehicle. The car re-started immediately, however, the engine light remained on. I have taken the car into the shop and the technician was unable to find any problems with the vehicle....updated 09/22/15 about one week prior to the above event, I was driving home from the train station on a perfectly dry and clear day and when I was driving, the various traction control lights came on and the car would periodically buck while the RPM's would rev higher for a moment. After arriving home, I turned the car off and parked it in the garage. The nest day when I started it, the traction lights were off and the car appeared to drive normally. The lights that were on were the esp, bas, and the picture of the car sliding. When I took the car in for repair, the dealer couldn't find any issue with the traction system. The same traction issue has happened several more times and has yet to be repaired. Updated 09/29/15

- Gurnee, IL, USA

Sep 102014

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. While driving at an unknown speed with the overdrive activated, the vehicle jerked and the engine stalled. In addition, the check engine and esp bas warning light illuminated. The vehicle was able to restart after multiple attempts. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the failure could not be duplicated. The vehicle codes were reset, but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000.

- Fountain Hills, AZ, USA

Jun 062014

Prior to 06-06-14 @115,616 miles began noticing issues with vehicle not starting. After several attempts vehicle would start. However knowing this was a re-occurring issue the vehicle was taken to the service dept. To be inspected (dealership of purchase and all maintenance/repairs performed at same location). 23 point inspection preformed, starter was checked out and found to be bad. The starter assembly was replaced. 12-29-14 @ 121,251 miles regular maintenance programed followed (I.e.) lube, oil and filter. 23 point inspection preformed for the 120,000 miles service: Replaced the air filter and PCV valve, flushed the cooling system, replaced rear wiper blades, removed throttle body and cleaned, induction service, replaced the frt crank seal, cleaned and replaced the serpt belt. Replaced the frt brake pads and rotors. 01-13-15 @ 121,854 miles vehicle taken to service dept. Due to engine light coming on and flashing while driving to work the day before. Very alarming situation related to engine light on and flashing, vehicle seeming to have poor acceleration and not wanting to pick up any speed even when gas pedal pressed. Tested and checked, traced found #3 injector, wiring and connector "chewed up". the injector and connector assembly were replaced. System retested. 05-11-15 @ 124,424 miles perform lube, oil and filter at service dept. 06-29-15 @ 125,572 miles vehicle's engine light on. Taken to service department. 3 or 4 codes on diagnostic test. Could be engine misfire or transmission. Codes cleared told to bring back in if engine light comes on again. Next day engine light back on and vehicle back to service dept..injector #4 bleeding:replace injector, spark plugs and preformed induction service. "nothing you could have done to prevent it has to do w/ seals inside engine." Temp sensor in transmission replaced, torque converter replaced.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Sep 032014

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V438000 (electrical system); however, the part to do the repair was not available. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time to repair the vehicle. While driving approximately 20 mph, the engine seized. The approximate failure mileage was 90,000.

- Bakersfield, CA, USA