CarComplaints.com Notes: Whenever a new product is introduced, there's bound to be some problems. And man oh man, does the 2006 Commander have some problems.

It's the plight of the 1st-generation adopter: you get the newest and shiniest in exchange for a handful of issues that get ironed out in future versions. But what happens when that handful of issues becomes a bucketload? The 2006 Commander has quality control issues like the door handles breaking off and the sunroof leaking. But what's truly worrisome is the electrical problems like the vehicle shutting down unexpectedly, gauges going crazy or the cruise control having a mind of its own.

Bottom line: if you want a Jeep Commander, you're better off looking at a later model year.

2006 Jeep Commander fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Jeep Commander:

2006 Jeep Commander Owner Comments

Jan 042017

Commander

On christmas I backed the Jeep out of the driveway so I could drive my truck. Bumped the curb slightly while parking and vehicle died. Started right back up so I didn't think much of it. Today my wife took the kids to school in it and ran fine. Parked for two hours and went to start and it will crank but not turn over. Fuel guage doesn't read correctly. At full it says half a tank and while you are driving it may drop to below empty with a full tank. I have been reading all the reports about the 2006 Commander and a lot of people seem to be having this starting problem. I haul my family around in it because we can't all fit in my truck but I don't feel safe in it because you never know when it's gonna cut out and die. My kids range from 1 week to 11 and I don't really want them in it. I'm thinking it a fuel pump or wiring issue. Both issues occurred in my driveway or right in front of my house.

- Bartlesville, OK, USA

Sep 302016

Commander

I went to start my 2006 Jeep Commander and it would turn over, but it would not start. I finally worked with it a little bit and got it to start, but then my power steering went out. I cut it off and tried it again and everything went back to normal. However, when I got going, there was a horrible gas smell coming from the rear of the vehicle. This starting issue has happened multiple times and every time the power steering goes out. The vehicle was stationary at a public place after it had been running for about 30 minutes.

- Luray, VA, USA

May 062014

Commander

Unknown reason for lost of motor oil, no observed source of a leak.

- Joppa, MD, USA

May 292016

Commander

May 29th, 1026, while driving along I-80 in North platte, Nebraska the Jeep suddenly, without warning accelerated on me causing an accident. I could not get the Jeep under control, ran off the road and into a highway sign before getting control. One witness even stated that it looked as if the Jeep "just took off". been having issues with irregular rmps and now this. Why the sudden acceleration with loss of control?

- Ogden, UT, USA

May 132015

Commander

Transmission over temp warning came across the dashboard and continued after truck was turned off and back on. Coolant and temps levels are normal. Warning has continued to come on past couple days at 60 degree weather with no reasoning as to why. No electrical failures or other problems exist.

- Merrimack , NH, USA

Jan 152015

Commander

When almost stopped the engine revved up like the vehicle was power braking..it happened twice on Jan 15, 2015 and again on jan16, 2015...it threw us forward and thankfully we had enough distance between us and the vehicle stopped at the red light in front of us that we did not hit it....I consider this a safety hazard. It makes me leery to drive when it is acting like this...we did not have any previous problems with the Jeep before this date. I reported this to Chrysler and they told me there was nothing they could do about it..I would need to take it to a dealer and have it checked out at my expense. We have not driven the vehicle since Jan. 16th.

- Everett, PA, USA

Jun 092014

Commander

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. The contact stated that the vehicle stalled after coming to a complete stop. The dealer stated that the fuel bowl needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred shortly afterwards. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer where the failure was verified, but no remedy was available. The manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 97,000.

- Shaker Heights, OH, USA

Feb 132014

Commander

The transfer case motor/actuator will not shift after dealer performed N23 recall on the final drive controller.

- Signal Mountain, TN, USA