Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Whenever a new product is introduced, there's bound to be some problems. And man oh man, does the 2006 Commander have some problems.

It's the plight of the 1st-generation adopter: you get the newest and shiniest in exchange for a handful of issues that get ironed out in future versions. But what happens when that handful of issues becomes a bucketload? The 2006 Commander has quality control issues like the door handles breaking off and the sunroof leaking. But what's truly worrisome is the electrical problems like the vehicle shutting down unexpectedly, gauges going crazy or the cruise control having a mind of its own.

Bottom line: if you want a Jeep Commander, you're better off looking at a later model year.

2006 Jeep Commander miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Jeep Commander:

2006 Jeep Commander Owner Comments (Page 3 of 3)

Jun 202010

Interior door handles break easily, and come apart. This is a safety concern when trying to leave vehicle in an emergency- car fire, accident, or if vehicle falls into a body of water. In this vehicle, 3 of the 4 interior handles have easily broken from the door panels. They are built weaker than a child's toy car. Updated 01/20/11

- West Palm Beach, FL, USA

Dec 072008

Commander 6-cyl

After completing a one mile trip without incident, I got back in my 2006 3.7 liter V6 4X4 Jeep Commander and started it up. I then put it into reverse and began to back up when my power-steering failed. I put it back in park and turned off the engine and then restarted the engine. The power-steering was functioning again, so I put it in reverse and began to back up. After about five feet the power-steering failed again, then the anti-lock brake system failed and it was incredibly hard to brake. The ABS light also came on. I then backed into a parking spot and turned off the engine and then restarted it. The power-steering was still failing and the ABS light still lit up. The engine then died after about 30 seconds. I then attempted to restart the vehicle and it wouldn't start and the red alarm light came on. The battery is good.

- Tulsa, OK, USA

Mar 152008

My brakes pulsate when I pump them coming down hills. The dealership continues to tell me there is nothing wrong with my brakes. It is really bad when I am coming down a mountain and I am scared that they will fail on me. It has happened every time I've traveled to see my daughter in college in the mountains. I've tried going very slow and pumping as to not pick up speed. I am very concerned for my safety.

- Raleigh, NC, USA