NHTSA — Unknown Or Other Problems

2006 Jeep Commander (Page 3 of 3)

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

CarComplaints.com Notes: Whenever a new product is introduced, there's bound to be some problems. And man oh man, does the 2006 Commander have some problems.

It's the plight of the 1st-generation adopter: you get the newest and shiniest in exchange for a handful of issues that get ironed out in future versions. But what happens when that handful of issues becomes a bucketload? The 2006 Commander has quality control issues like the door handles breaking off and the sunroof leaking. But what's truly worrisome is the electrical problems like the vehicle shutting down unexpectedly, gauges going crazy or the cruise control having a mind of its own.

Bottom line: if you want a Jeep Commander, you're better off looking at a later model year.

2006 Jeep Commander miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Jeep Commander:

2006 Jeep Commander Owner Comments (Page 3 of 3)

Jun 052011

Commander

Drivers side interior door handle has broken. I went to exit my 2006 Jeep Commander and the plastic behind the door handle broke away from the door panel and I couldn't open the door. I had to exit the vehicle from the passenger side. I am thankful that it wasn't an emergency situation like a fire! this should be a recall! very dangerous!

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Aug 012010

Commander

I purchased the 2006 Commander in June 2010. The first 6 weeks I had the vehicle I loved it. The first incident I had with the vehicle was the service park assist warning came on and stayed on for two days, then went off on its own prior to getting an appointment to have it checked. The next incident happened when I was idling in traffic at a stoplight. Every indicator light on the dash came on and the vehicle started to stall but did not completely stall out. Since that episode I have had issues with the driver side front window and passenger side rear window not functioning properly (at times won't roll up or down from either control). More recently I have had increasing episodes (two to three times per month) of the dash lighting up, headlights dimming and the vehicle losing power (so far always while parked or shifting from park to drive), as well as the service park assist warning and window issues. After hearing of a coworker with a 2007 Commander having some of the same issues I began searching the internet and have found numerous complaints of the same issues as mine. I am afraid to drive this vehicle with my children inside in the event that it would stall out on the highway and I would not be able to control it. I spoke with the dealer that sold me the vehicle yesterday and they have agreed to look at it free of charge this morning since there is no warranty on it now, but I still am not sure I want to keep this vehicle any longer. Chrysler needs to recall these vehicles and fix this issue. I used to be a die hard Jeep fan...but no longer! I am surprised that I have not found any reports of death or serious injury as a result of these electrical issues with this particular model.

- Spencer, WV, USA

Commander

While opening the right rear passenger door of my 2006 Jeep Commander the inside door handle broke, this prevented the passenger from exiting the vehicle. I contacted the Jeep dealer and they informed me that they did not have any issues relating to the door handle. I removed the door panel and made the necessary repairs. Two months later the left rear handle broke and then the right front passenger handle broke. I made repairs to both of those handles as well. Last month the right rear handle has broken again, I have did a temporary repair on the handle. My fears are that if I was to get in some type of accident where the passenger(s) would have to exit the vehicle in a hurry that the handles will fail and the passenger(s) will not be able to exit the vehicle in a timely manner and could result in the passenger(s) being trapped inside the vehicle. There should be some type of safety recall.

Jun 252010

Commander 4WD 8-cyl

2006 Jeep Commander 4.7 liter having issues with engine stalling when stopped and also when starting to apply pressure to gas from stop in the 5-10 mph range. Does not matter if the vehicle has just been started or completely warmed up. Nothing I am doin is causing this too short to hit keys with knee. Have to turn vehicle completely off and start back up. Have had vehicle for about 6 months since June 2010 now and have had the incident happen at least 20 times. Have read on numerous forums of this incident happening and no fix for this found yet please get the ball rolling to get a fix before someone gets killed.

- Bowling Green, KY, USA

Jun 202010

Commander

Interior door handles break easily, and come apart. This is a safety concern when trying to leave vehicle in an emergency- car fire, accident, or if vehicle falls into a body of water. In this vehicle, 3 of the 4 interior handles have easily broken from the door panels. They are built weaker than a child's toy car. Updated 01/20/11

- West Palm Beach, FL, USA

Dec 072008

Commander 6-cyl

After completing a one mile trip without incident, I got back in my 2006 3.7 liter V6 4X4 Jeep Commander and started it up. I then put it into reverse and began to back up when my power-steering failed. I put it back in park and turned off the engine and then restarted the engine. The power-steering was functioning again, so I put it in reverse and began to back up. After about five feet the power-steering failed again, then the anti-lock brake system failed and it was incredibly hard to brake. The ABS light also came on. I then backed into a parking spot and turned off the engine and then restarted it. The power-steering was still failing and the ABS light still lit up. The engine then died after about 30 seconds. I then attempted to restart the vehicle and it wouldn't start and the red alarm light came on. The battery is good.

- Tulsa, OK, USA

Mar 152008

Commander

My brakes pulsate when I pump them coming down hills. The dealership continues to tell me there is nothing wrong with my brakes. It is really bad when I am coming down a mountain and I am scared that they will fail on me. It has happened every time I've traveled to see my daughter in college in the mountains. I've tried going very slow and pumping as to not pick up speed. I am very concerned for my safety.

- Raleigh, NC, USA