CarComplaints.com Notes: Whenever a new product is introduced, there's bound to be some problems. And man oh man, does the 2006 Commander have some problems.

It's the plight of the 1st-generation adopter: you get the newest and shiniest in exchange for a handful of issues that get ironed out in future versions. But what happens when that handful of issues becomes a bucketload? The 2006 Commander has quality control issues like the door handles breaking off and the sunroof leaking. But what's truly worrisome is the electrical problems like the vehicle shutting down unexpectedly, gauges going crazy or the cruise control having a mind of its own.

Bottom line: if you want a Jeep Commander, you're better off looking at a later model year.

2006 Jeep Commander seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Jeep Commander:

2006 Jeep Commander Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Sep 302014

Commander

In September of 2014 I recently bought a 2006 Jeep Commander. A few weeks after purchasing the vehicle I noticed the car was shutting off when I was at stop signs, red lights, and most seriously when I was driving. I was not sure as to why my car was doing this. I tried everything from a new battery and countless appointments at my mechanic. I was not informed of any type of recall on my car, until I did my own personal research. In may of 2015 I took my car to a Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep and Ram dealership to find out when I could order the part for the P-41 recall on my car. I was informed that the part was not available in the country and they were not sure of when it would arrive. I was told the car was "safe" to drive. I was given a few tips: Sit far enough away from the steering wheel so my knees were not close to the key, have the car key only on a ring by itself, always wear my seat belt, and avoid having a front passenger. It was only a matter of 4 weeks until I was experiencing the issue again. I was driving on the highway with my boyfriend and one year old daughter going about 65mph when my car completely shut off, I lost power steering, brakes, and every single light turned on. I had to resort to pulling the E-brake which did not help slow my car down. This was the most serious and dangerous incident, luckily we did not get hurt, or hurt anyone else. As a result, I took my car to another Jeep dealership and was advised the same information that the part was not able to be ordered and given the same tips. I requested a rental for the safety of myself and my daughter. It took me 2 weeks to finally receive a rental. I have had a rental for almost two weeks now and was told by the dealership, by pulling the E-brake it was going to cost me $1600 to fix. I do not feel as if I am responsible for the cost of the repair, considering this was caused by the P-41 recall.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Jun 302014

Commander 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V373000 (electrical system, air bags); however, the part needed to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. Updated 09/18/15 updated 09/22/15

- Des Plaines, IL, USA

Apr 172015

Commander

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. While starting the vehicle, the check engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The mechanic diagnosed that the ignition switch and the air bags needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V438000 (electrical system); however, the part needed to repair the vehicle was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 119,000.

- Charleston, SC, USA

Dec 182014

Commander 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. While driving at various speeds, the engine stalled. While parked, the vehicle automatically went into reverse. Also, the contact stated the air bag warning indicator was illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failures. The approximate failure mileage was 158,757. MA 10/6 the consumer stated the while driving the vehicle would stall. When the vehicle was in park it would roll backwards. Also, the air bag light would turn of and on, the dash lights would flash, and antilock on the dash turns on and off. When coming to a stop the vehicle would make a grinding noise. The vehicle was taking to the dealer who advised the vehicle could not be repaired. Updated 3/28/2016

- Plymouth, MN, USA

Jan 132015

Commander

The first time was turning in store all dash lights and engine light on only had Jeep week, then find out recall take to Dodge, Chrysler they do not know how fix yet.next esp, bas and engine lights place I bought said bring Monday they will check it then on way home it cuts off while moving manage stop.we hope all this covered by Chrysler.

- Jacksons Gap, AL, USA

Feb 032015

Commander

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. The contact stated that while driving at 40 mph, the vehicle stalled. The contact was able to restart the vehicle and all lights on the instrument cluster illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. However, the failure recurred and the contact stated that while making a left turn, the vehicle stalled. As a result, another vehicle crashed into the rear passenger side of the contact's vehicle. The air bags failed to deploy. No injuries were sustained. A police report was filed. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The contact was unsure about what needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V438000 (electrical system) however, the part needed to repair the vehicle was unavailable. The failure mileage was 156,000.

- Maumee, OH, USA

Mar 302012

Commander 6-cyl

In March of 2012, I was driving my 2006 Jeep Commander V8 on a two lane highway.at the time of the accident, I had been decreasing speed, when the truck in front of me suddenly slammed on his brakes. However, when I pressed down hard on my brakes, my brakes/anti-lock brakes completely failed, causing me to crash into the truck in front of me. While trying to brake, my car stalled and continued to propel forward, causing a lack of steering capability, inevitably causing a crash, in which my air bags did not deploy. After the police arrived, I was able to start the car and barely made it home, having to push it several blocks. My SUV went into the shop for almost one month. After my SUV was fixed, including exterior and radiator, the SUV continued to overheat without cause and it was now considered a total loss. I was not prepared for my vehicle to be considered a total loss as the issues appeared to be minor. I endured major hardship as a result on this accident, including lack of work and occurred at an inopportune time for me to buy a new vehicle, resulting in a high interest rate and skyrocketing insurance, since I was considered at fault, despite lack of being cited due to vehicle issues. After 2 yrs, I finally was able to refinance my car; however, my insurance will remain high til Feb 2015 @$314 (35 mos). I did not realize why the vehicle's braking and stalling occurred as I was not made aware of the recall until July 2014! if recalls occurred in 07-09, why was I not informed prior to this accident" this accident could have been prevented! when I called to speak to Chrysler, they said that there was nothing that they could do because the car was scrapped. I do not understand why some people can be compensated for issues, but I am disregarded despite the ongoing hardship caused by a defect caused by Chrysler! is there anyone out there that can help!"

- Covington, LA, USA

Sep 262014

Commander

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. The contact received a notice for NHTSA campaign number: 14V438000 (electrical system). While driving 45 mph, the vehicle stalled and crashed. The air bags failed to deploy. A police report was filed and no injuries were sustained. The vehicle was taken to a independent mechanic where multiple unknown repairs were made. The failure recurred multiple times after the repairs were made. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The VIN provided was not valid. The failure mileage was 79,000.

- Rapid City, SD, USA

Nov 192014

Commander

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 35 mph, the brake pedal was depressed in order to avoid a crash with another vehicle but failed to respond. As a result, the contact crashed into another vehicle and the air bags failed to deploy. A police report was filed. The contact sustained bruises and the front passenger sustained chest and back injuries which required medical attention. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The vehicle was also included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V438000 (electrical system). The approximate failure mileage was 117,500.

- Newbedford, MA, USA

Oct 032014

Commander

My Jeep Commander turned off, causing my brakes to fail along with steering and airbags to fail. I crashed into the back of someone towing a pontoon boat. The total cost of damage was over $7,000. My insurance had to cover it. This is because of the recall P41. I have called and complained several times about my dash lights flickering, and my Jeep turning itself off. I was without my vehicle for 3 weeks while it was being repaired. Chrysler needs to get this issue figured out! this could have been a much worse accident had I been on the interstate.

- Rapid City, SD, USA

Oct 012014

Commander 4WD 8-cyl

While driving at 45 mph the vehicle just turned off. There is a faulty ignition switch recall but Chrysler will not do anything to help get this repaired. I received a recall notice and contacted them but they will not get back to me about repair. This 2006 vehicle is being driven by my daughter who is 19 years old and away at college. Unfortunately my vehicle is a 2007 Jeep Commander and has the same recall therefore I can't even give her my vehicle to drive since it is unsafe as well. At the very least Chrysler should repair these vehicle pronto! in the interim they should provide a safe vehicle for my daughter to drive.

- Winston Salem, NC, USA

Jul 302014

Commander

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. The contact stated that the all lights on the instrument panel illuminated then turned off after a few minutes. The gauges and air bag lights also malfunctioned during the failure. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The failure was not diagnosed nor was the vehicle repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The contact received a notification for NHTSA campaign number: 14V438000 (engine, air bags, steering). The failure mileage was unknown.

- Union Grove, AL, USA

Aug 222014

Commander 4WD 8-cyl

Jeep Commander 2006 was T-boned on passenger side by vehicle traveling at speed. Air bags did not deploy...updated 10/07/14 updated 3/16/2015

- Bowie, MD, USA

Sep 152014

Commander 4WD 8-cyl

All of my safety warning lights flash on and off repeatedly. When this happens my car electrical things turn off including the ac, radio and everything else. The engine how ever did not. The car kept running but everything else stalled and turned off and on.. the first time was on the street but it continued even on the freeway going 60 mph. I took to dealer and they stated nothing is wrong. They could not find anythin. They even put in on the computer machine and nothing. I have only had vehicle for 2 months and im very worried. I have no other transportation and have to drive the vehicle to work and my kids around. I have a video of how the car kept doing that. If someone can contact me, I would be more than happy to send the vehicle video over.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jun 232013

Commander

The contact owned a 2006 Jeep Commander. The contact and the driver became involved in a crash while traveling at unknown speeds. Upon impact, the air bags failed to deploy. The driver was fatally injured. The contact sustained unknown injuries. A police report was filed and the vehicle was destroyed. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 175,000.

- Reno, NV, USA

May 162012

Commander

I was driving down a neighborhood street and re-adjusted my seating position. While driving, my knee slightly bumped the key and turned off my car while it was in drive. I then lost power steering and power brakes. Luckily I was moving slowly and could pull over and stop the car. I then tested it again in a parking lot and I determined that my Jeep shuts off every time I move the key with my knee, even while driving. Potentially very dangerous.

- Austin, TX, USA

Apr 022014

Commander

The vehicle randomly shuts off. The dash gauges flicker and/or go off for a brief time. If breaks are engaged at that time, ABS stops. If headlights are on auto, they turn off. If turning a hard left or right (such as turning into a driveway, turning on to a street, parking) power steering stops working. If the lights are on but not on auto the lights stay on. The radio stays on. These symptoms would indicate that there is a problem with the ignition switch. When this issue occurs, it seems to stop by pushing on the key. This has happened multiple times. After visiting this page, a log will be created to record date, time, and speed. This is a huge safety issue. After much research many users of internet forums for Jeep, complain about this issue (reference urls can be provided). The NHTSA campaign number: 14V047000 sounds very similar in nature. Could the NHTSA look in to the parts being the same?

- Winterville, NC, USA

Jul 312013

Commander 8-cyl

I hit a pole by losing control. I hit the pole on the passenger side front end of the Jeep. The car was totaled and the airbags did not deploy.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Apr 082012

Commander 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Commander. The contact stated that while driving in inclement weather at approximately 35-45 mph, an elk crashed into the front end of the vehicle. The driver and passenger side air bags both failed to deploy. The passenger seated in the front seat sustained injuries to the back and head. The contact sustained injuries to the neck and back. The manufacturer was contacted and advised that the elk did not impact the vehicle in the area of the air bag sensors therefore, the air bags did not deploy. The contact stated that the air bag was defective and that the air bag warning light was illuminated prior to the crashed. The vehicle was destroyed. A police report was filed of the incident.. the vehicle was destroyed. The failure and current mileage was 114,000. Updated 12/12/12 updated 12/21/2012

- Tulare , CA, USA

Aug 152012

Commander 4WD 8-cyl

I purchased this vehichle in Aug of 2012 and have been having electrical issues that have caused my vehichle to shut of while driving. I have also had issues with starting because the electrical system is failing.I have researched this issue and there are already many complaints on this vehichle with the same issues I'm having. I am very disappointed in this vehichle after spending the money to purchase it with 44,000 miles on it and have had nothing but issues with the electrical system, dash lights, and battery.

- Oakwood, OH, USA