2007 Jeep Commander drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Jeep Commander:

2007 Jeep Commander Owner Comments (Page 4 of 5)

Jan 092008

Commander 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Commander. While driving approximately 30 mph, the engine stalled without warning. The engine restarted and resumed normally. The failure recurred sporadically. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer eight times for the similar defect. The catalytic converter and battery were replaced. The failure persisted after the repairs. The vehicle was currently being diagnosed by a specialized transmission shop. The technician detected several trouble codes and continued investigating the failure. The manufacturer was not notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 12,000...updated 02-28-14 the consumer stated the vehicle accelerates while in idle or in park. Updated 03/14/2014

- Norfolk, VA, USA

Oct 122012

This has happened to me. I am a mother, wife, daughter. The bad thing of this situation is that I had this replaced once before I had 31,505 miles on it and the ems electric transmission shift module had to be replaced. 4 yrs later mileage at 82,000 miles the same part has to be replaced. I have contacted Chrysler and all they can say we are sorry there is nothing I can do for you. This part is no longer under warranty and informed that the part (68021352) was not included in a recall. This malfunctions has caused me to no longer feel safe in my car. I don't want to drive my car with my daughter in it. With out warning this has happened one to many times. This part should be recalled when I had the vehicle serviced back in 2008 I paid $100 now today when I had it repaired it cost $1000. Funny isn't it that over 4 yrs this part has doubled in price. And the mechanic at Chrysler says to me oh yeah I've seen this alot on this model.

- Augusta , MI, USA

Nov 132008

Commander 6-cyl

While driving my assistance system brake light came on I was driving 30mph and had to pull over the car would not shift or go over 30 mpr at 31,505 miles on it and the ems electric transmission shift module. Has to be replaced. 4 yrs later mileage at 82,000 miles the same part has to be replaced.this time I was on interstate 94 driving 60mpr and the lights came on I pulled off interstate and when I pulled into gas station the car pulled and lunged I turned it off waited and turned back on while I was driving at 30mpr it would not go past 30mpr. I have contacted Chrysler and all they can say is hold on to your receipts as this part is no longer under warranty and informed that the vehicle was not included in a recall. This malfunctions has caused me to no longer feel safe in my car. I don't want to drive my car with my daughter in it.

- Augusta, MI, USA

Mar 152012

Commander 4WD 8-cyl

While driving 70mph down the highway, my car suddenly stalled. I was forced to make an emergency stop on the shoulder of the highway. Unlucky for me, where my car decided to stall was near the off ramp of the highway, under a bridge. It was quite a dangerous position to be in. The Jeep dealership decided that it was a throttle positioning sensor. Several months later and my car is randomly stalling again and the dealership does not understand why. I've had my shift assembly fully replaced as well as a new starter. I don't understand the issues that I am facing and why so little is known by the Jeep dealership when this SUV has been out for several years now.

- North Olmsted, OH, USA

Sep 092012

Commander 6-cyl

Problem started with vehicle losing power on acceleration from dead stop. It did that twice before the "check engine" light came on as I was pulling out into heavy traffic. Immediately took it to garage which determined code were U0404 (implausible data received from esm), P0607 (ECU internal performance) and B1A28 (ECM mismatch with skm). Dealers had two shifter/esm assemblies in stock. That tells me this is a common problem as I have read on the internet that it is. This vehicle is pampered and only driven about 5K per year, mostly when I got to our hunting camp up state. Repair cost $1,130.99. Chrysler needs to pony up with a recall and fix this issue without cost as well as reimburse those of us who have already paid to have the defect fixed. Someone could be injured or killed as a result of this defect.

- Camp Hill, PA, USA

Aug 142012

Commander 8-cyl

Vehicle appeared to hesitate and eventually stalled loosing power. All instrumentation lights came on during this event. Driver was able to coast to the side of the highway; place the car in park/neutral; and restart the engine. The same event has happened at least 4 other times since the first at varying speed (I.e. 35 to 65 mph) and there were no warning lights making this a very dangerous and unpredictable event. I took the vehicle to an authorized dealer and he stated that it could be the power control module; but was unsure. I'm very concerned with the safety of my family. The symptom of this problem (engine stall) is unpredictable and is a recipe for a serious and life threatening accident. I've reviewed hundreds of complaints reporting similar conditions. There needs to be a global recall on all 2007 Jeep Commanders reporting this problem to have this issues repaired before there is a loss of life resulting from this event. Nhtsb please respond to this complaint and compel Chrysler to issue a recall before it is too late and life threatening injury occurs.

- Aurora, IL, USA

May 252012

My 2007 Jeep Commander stalls during lengthy trips of 100 miles or more at speeds between 50 - 70 mph. Each time it stalled I was on a major interstate and had to drift to the side of the highway to restart the vehicle. The first time it happened was early summer during a trip from Georgia to Louisiana and it did it again during a second trip in July. I thought my battery may have had a bad cell and was providing the needed power to the vehicle. After doing some research this evening online I see this is a big problem for other Commander owners nationwide. I plan to take it to the dealer this week.

- Joneboro, GA, USA

Aug 062012

The service park assist light will come on and them all the gear indicators on instrument panel will light up and vehicle stall when driving and lose all power. This has happened multiple of times at different speeds. Scan code only shows electronic shift module (esm) is bad. My wife was pulling onto the highway from a side road one of the times the vehicle stalled and was almost hit by several cars.

- Kellville, OK, USA

Apr 122012

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Commander. The contact stated while driving 35 mph, the vehicle stalled. The contact was able to coast to the shoulder and restart the vehicle. The vehicle then functioned as normal. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, where they stated that the power train control module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure and current mileages were 100,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Tracy , CA, USA

Nov 172010

Commander 6-cyl

I own a 2007 Jeep Commander it is always overheating. It has also stalled out an the lighting system started malfunctioning by cutting completely off. Also it will say in the digital dash screen that the transmission is overheating when I start the vehicle. I have to cut the truck off immediately an when I crank it back up it is fine.

- Andrews, SC, USA

May 162012

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Commander. The contact stated while driving 35 mph, the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer and the manufacturer was not contacted. The failure mileage was 32,000 and the current mileage was 37,000.

- Thornton , CO, USA

May 302012

Commander 4WD 8-cyl

As of June 8th 2011 I bought my Jeep used with approximately 42000 miles on it soon after it started having filling issues then for a while the issue ceased now about a month before date of stall listed above it started with the same filling issues except worse now causing it to not want to shift into gears as normal car would, kinda jerking in between shifts from different speeds and RPM increase and decrease. It has stalled on me twice now. The first time on the interstate at 70 mph with my 3 kids and pregnant wife in the car causing all power functions to be lost and we almost got ran over by a transfer truck trying to get to the shoulder of the road. I had it look at and the throttle body and intake cleaned of carbon deposited and now today June 12th 2012 it stalled again getting off the interstate heading to my work. Still filling high and low and stalling and jerking between the natural shifting of the transmission.

- Nebo, NC, USA

May 142009

Commander 6-cyl

Back in 2009 the esm had to be changed twice and it was just changed again 3/19/2012 and here it is 5/25/2012 and this part goes again (electric shift module/unit). It goes while my wife was driving about 45/50mph on the highway the truck just stopped running when the lights on the dashboard flashed and went off(good thing that the road was pretty clear at that time) this is a well known problem with these trucks and Jeep knows about it and refuses to call theses trucks off the road-there needs to be total recall of the Jeep commandeers and Chrysler/Jeep needs to be made to purchase them from consumers but then again consumers don't have any rights or safety nets.

- Syracuse, NY, USA

Apr 022012

Commander 4WD 8-cyl

As I was driving my Commander, it started to sputter and shift gears erratically and then died. The engine light was on as I pulled over to the side of the road. After I turned the car off completely, I tried to restart the car to continue to work. As soon as I put the vehicle in gear, it stalled once again. On the third try, I was able to place my vehicle in gear and complete my drive to work but the engine light remained on. This same scenario has happened five times since the original incident.

- Ontario , NY, USA

Mar 102012

Commander 6-cyl

While driving 65 mph on the interstate, vehicle lost power. Dash display message appeared "service park assist system" and vehicle gear display indicated the P R N D were all illuminated. The engine stayed running but would not respond to the gas pedal, decelerating. Turned on hazard lights and pulled over, placed vehicle in park, shifted to drive, and continued as normal. A short time later, the check engine light came on. The problem is intermittent, and has happened many times since then and in many different driving situations. For example, after pulling into traffic on a highway, the vehicle would not accelerate, causing the traffic behind to nearly slam into us. If acceleration had been available as normal, this would not have been an issue. Another example, the problem happened during heavy rush hour interstate traffic, causing the need to cross several lanes to reach a breakdown lane. It has happened immediately upon starting the vehicle and after the vehicle has been running normally for a long time. It is very unpredictable. The vehicle is dangerous and cannot be trusted to provide power or acceleration when it is needed. Private shop checked the fault codes and replaced the transmission control module which did not fix the problem. Internet research shows this exact problem with these exact symptoms is common and widespread in the 2007 Jeep Commander and appears to indicate a faulty electronic shifter module. Chrysler response to the problem is hit and miss, some dealers acknowledging they have seen this before, others claiming they have never seen it and the problem is isolated and not widespread. There needs to be a safety recall on this dangerous issue before someone is hurt or killed, if they have not already. We used this vehicle to Transport our children and now we can't even trust it to safely get us to the shop to have it repaired.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Mar 132012

Commander 8-cyl

Driving at 70 mph on tollway and vehicle stalled and steering wheel column locked up. This happened two days ago and is occurring more often. It is extremely dangerous because the steering wheel column locks as you are driving. It has happened four more times. I now do not want to drive the vehicle because I fear for the safety of myself and my daughter.

- Wylie, TX, USA

Nov 282011

Commander 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Commander. The contact stated that the transmission had to be replaced. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who advised the contact that the torque converter and gear exchange solenoid needed to be replaced because the vehicle would not shift past second gear nor accelerate over 20 mph. The contact stated the vehicle also could not be driven in reverse. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 58,000 and the current mileage was 58,500. Updated 04/19/12 the consumer stated the vehicle was repaired. Jeep reimbursed the consumer $1000 of the $3200 he spent.

- Houston, TX, USA

Mar 022009

Commander 6-cyl

Vehicle stalls and driver loses command of accelerator, power steering and brakes. Happens at various speeds but obviously most dangerous at highway speeds. When vehicle loses power, all gear indicators light up on the dashboard and the vehicle information system display reads "service park assist system" and the check engine light appears. Recommended dealer repair is the replacement of the "electronic shift module". this temporarily solves the problem but recurs within a few thousand miles.

- Stevensville, MI, USA

May 112010

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Commander. The contact was driving 25 mph when all of the instrument panel lights illuminated as the engine stalled. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the dealer confirmed that the shifter bezel needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was contacted but vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 42,586 and the current mileage was 73,285.

- South Point, OH, USA

Dec 172011

Commander 6-cyl

Recently experienced a." service park assist system " error with total loss of forward momentum at about 15 mph. Was able to pull over, place in park and continue going. However engine light is on, so headed to dealer Monday. I'm greatly concerned if this happens at high speed and with family in the car. Reading complaints, this is highly possible and there appears to be no real solution. Help?!!

- Downingtown , PA, USA