2007 Jeep Commander electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Jeep Commander:

2007 Jeep Commander Owner Comments (Page 12 of 16)

Sep 082014

Driving to work at the normal speed, my vehicle just turned off in the middle of traffic, which resulted in the car behind me hitting me. I am deathly afraid to drive this car. When I went to Chrysler & called several times, I was told I was out of luck & couldn't be helped. I was even hung up on. I'm not sure what to do besides contacting the news & hiring an attorney, which isn't in my budget. Is there anyone that can help me?

- Lake Zurich, IL, USA

Aug 092014

Commander 4WD 6-cyl

I tried to start my 2007 Jeep Commander and it would only click. I got a transmission over temperature message in the message center. All electrical components worked except the ignition. No odb codes appeared. The next day it started as if nothing is wrong. The following day it failed to start again. At this time this has happened a total of 5 times. I have gone on the Jeep Commander forum and found that I am not the only one having this problem. Some Commander owners have been stranded due to this problem. Some owners have spent large amounts of money trying to get this problem resolved, with no success. There should be an investigation into this problem.

- Hillsville, VA, USA

May 042010

Commander 8-cyl

While driving my 2007 Jeep Commander limited edition 4X4 at various speeds car stalls without warning. All power features including steering wheel lock and check engine light comes on. Forced to maneuver to shoulder if possible (dangerous) put the car in park and then re-start. Same problem has occurred approximately 50 times since 2010. Have sought information from dealer and independent mechanics and attempted to repair at my own expense to no avail. Mechanics have been unable to replicate the problem while on road tests, which is expected since the stalling is unpredictable. The most recent occurrence was 8/5/14 - complete engine stall while driving (approximately 40mpg), steering wheel and all other power features locked in the middle of traffic. Put the car in park then re-started.

- Edgewater, MD, USA

Oct 012010

Since owner my Jeep Commander, it has been in for repair for electrical and leaking problems. It has been in for repair for the heat/ac controls at least 3 times and now for the 2nd time because of the leaking sunroof, the power windows don't work anymore. It has been in a few times because while driving the windows go up and down, the alarm goes off and the bell chimes telling me the rear hatch is open all at the same time like the car is possessed. I'm sure there is more but cant recall all of them at this time. It is becoming a big problem. I think Jeep Commanders should be recalled since so many are having the same issues!!! it is a liitle scary not being able to open the windows. What if something happens and you need to get out? I will now have to spend another few hundred for repairs. Just not right.

- Carmel, NY, USA

Jan 082014

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Commander. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the interior lights flashed and the vehicle would shift into neutral independently. The contact also mentioned that there was an abnormal noise coming from under the vehicle and failed to accelerate. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who diagnosed that the transfer case failed. The contact stated that the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 13V175000 (electrical system, power train). The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 200,000.

- Bushkill, PA, USA

Nov 142012

I purchased in November 2012 and ever since with each rain storm my interior floods and it is starting to affect electronics. I have service 4WD system after N23 recall and vehicle won't shift into 4 lo. I have service park assist and TPMS warning and had all four sensors replaced with warning recurring. I recently started losing all four door speakers intermittently and when they do work they sound horrible. Display on radio is starting to go black and dim. I have lights on dash display flash on and off when they want. I have crazy RPM fluctuation at idle and recently transmission feels like it is trying to shift and RPM fluctuations when cruising at hwy speeds. I have bumped the key on multiple occasions and the vehicle is essentially shut off and still moving. Most problems have just recently begun and haven't taken to dealer yet but after reading about many of the same problems and Jeep not owning up to any of them, I don't have the money to chase phantom problems that the dealer can't recreate and change parts and hope it fixes the problem. I don't feel safe driving the vehicle and have to dry the vehicle out after every rain. I am about to have to write it off as a loss and buy a new vehicle which will not be a Jeep. I guess hundreds of people will have to die for Jeep to man up and admit they made a terrible unsafe vehicle and quit making their customers pay for their mistake.

- Leland, NC, USA

Jan 082013

Commander 6-cyl

Shortly after the purchase in December of 2012, we experienced an issue where the engine stopped running or seemed to stall out. After a few minutes of investigation we realized that our knees were in perfect range to hit the key fob/chain and figured out that the ignition had been turned to the accessory position. The vehicle immediately started after we figured this out. This has happened a combined 6 times between both drivers of the vehicle, one who is 5'1" and the other who is 5'8" tall. Unfortunately exact dates for all occurrences are unavailable or would be rough estimates, but has occurred as recently as April 10 2014. We didn't realize that we could file a complaint regarding this issue until just recently when searching for recalls for this vehicle, otherwise we would have done so in the past.

- Flagstaff, AZ, USA

Jun 102014

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Commander. While driving 45 mph, all of the instrument panel indicators illuminated in the vehicle. The contact heard a chime and the vehicle stalled. The contact turned off the ignition and restarted the vehicle. The vehicle resumed normal operation, but the failure recurred thirty minutes later. The failure recurred on several occasions. The contact was informed that the btc codes needed to be reset. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 150,000.

- Livonia, MI, USA

May 102014

Commander 8-cyl

When you try to start, it would turn over and click, but not start. After about 10 times, it would finally start. My mechanic checked the battery ( which was about 3 months old) and it was good. He changed the started and still had the same problem. Put in another starter, assuming the part was bad. Still had same problem. Just replaced the ignition switch. Car started this morning at his shop, but would not start until I attempted to start it about 10 times and it finally started. An intermittent starting problem.

- Tallahassee, FL, USA

Oct 012007

Drain tubes leak into vehicle thru upper hand grab and under dash due to routing of tubes... they clog very easy and vehicle owners cannot see them or have knowledge of them until a heavy rain leaves the car flooded. Most likely eroding wires under dash and causing mold in carpet.

- Villa Park, IL, USA

Apr 072014

I have a 2007 Jeep Commander, while driving on highway/ side streets vehicle completely shuts down. Making it hard to brake and steer. Very scary when your in traffic at 70 miles hr. And you come to a complete stop. Took it in to Chrysler dealer has no solution for this vehicle. All these problems surfaced after doing the drive controller module recall. Got a second opinion and dealer gave me a list tune-up, coils, train service, etc. Wow these dealers want to make some cash. Had a third opinion and mechanic says all codes are related to module. Now shouldn't dealer be aware of this and Chrysler should be accountable.

- New Mexico, NM, USA

Sep 102007

Commander 6-cyl

I called the dealer (walnut creek Chrysler Jeep) in 2007 that my engine made a stalling noise when I started the engine, and they said not to worry about it (I purchased the vehicle in May 2007, so only a few months later). I moved the car to ct, and to tx (warranty companies continue to track my address, no word of recalls, they almost stalk me, I have the mailings to prove it, which I would like to opt-out from; only use an E-mail for recalls). For months, and years, I have been complaining that my vehicle has been accelerating usually while stopped at a traffic light, it stalls while driving, the front panel lights flicker even shut off (seems running on auto Pilot), the engine self-shuts off for no reason. I even asked dealers if there were any recalls, they said no. I heard that many people had their front panel vehicle lights flicker erratically, also the self-accelerating and self-stalling problems with their vehicles. The thought that my car had been hacked crossed my mind (many studies show that this can happen); I contacted my insurance company, and also the state police Agency regarding a drivers license and Agency documentation fine print about research. No accidents, but the above problems continue to affect my vehicle (the panel lights "some what" slowed down, but the self-acceleration, self-stalling continue, and self-shut down continue. I have driven my vehicle for approximately 35,000 miles, and purchased it new in May 2007. Is this a safety issue? note: Do not post or distribute my personal information, or upload to a public database. Please keep my personal information private. In addition, I do not want to be pestered with more warranty offers; I have no idea how they obtained my physical address.

- Corpus Christi, TX, USA

Jul 072013

Commander 8-cyl

The vehicle engine shut down suddenly while driving on the interstate. I was able to turn on the hazard lights and coast through traffic to the shoulder of the road. Upon investigation I noticed that the ignition switch had turned off which led to a hazardous situation.

- Cary, NC, USA

Jan 012010

Commander 6-cyl

Early 2010 I experienced issues with the engine light, "service park assist' and all my gears lighting up at once, and not being able to accelerate in the middle of 65mph traffic!. after researching the 'symptoms' and talking to several mechanics it was discovered the esm 'was bad' and was replaced. It began at approx 55,000 miles. I went thru quite a process with Chrysler over this issue. Long story short, now...amazingly after another 60,000 miles (coincidence"?") I need to have it replaced again as all the same things are happening" Jeep usually last a long time, and this is not an issue with maintaining my vehicle or how I I will have to potentially replace it again and again? of course Chrysler tells me its not a known problem with the vehicles yet just on this site and looking for the exact complaints I find no less than 45 of the same complaint and at least another 100+ that are probably the same just worded differently. How many complaints does it take to have a company pay for and replace defective parts? does it take a certain number of fatalities?" I honestly don't understand how it just gets ignored fort years and years. On top of that, the work has to be done at a dealer due to certain tools needed, and its no less than $1000 to replace. How convenient for the company.

- Waite Park, MN, USA

Dec 172012

Commander 8-cyl

My 2007 Jeep Commander vehicle had problems with idling and stalling, car would cutoff while driving between 35-60 miles and as well during idling. This had been an on going problem since 2010 though 2012 and then some time before. I officially for the record file this complaint understanding that many Jeep owners had this same problem many times over although the Chrysler corporation never did a recall regarding this problem pertaining to 2006-2008 Jeep vehicles which was and is such a disservice to the consumers.

- Washington, DC, USA

Feb 112013

Commander 6-cyl

Car suddenly went into limp home mode and wouldn't go over 30 mph. Check engine light came on. Dealer replaced transmission shift module. Warranty wouldn't cover it because it was external to the transmission. 6 weeks later it happened again, dealer said it was a bad ground. 1 year and 5 days later it happened again and took it to a different dealer and was told there was a firmware upgrade which they performed. 1 week later it happened again. This time on the freeway. Error indicated improper gear ratio selected.

- American Fork, UT, USA

Apr 052012

Commander 8-cyl

The first time it happened I was driving down interstate going about 75 mph. All of a sudden the car jerked and everything shut down for about a second but the car kept going. Cruise shut off and there was a "ding". just like what would happen if it just died for a second. Then, my son was driving the vehicle and it did the same thing except this time it completely died. It has happened many times since and dying completely around 6-7 times. Doesn't matter if you're going 25 or 75. It can happen whenever. One of the times my daughter was driving on interstate and it completely stopped. She was in the left lane with a diesel in the right lane. She ended up stuck in the ditch. Thankfully no accident or injuries. Have had 3 mechanics look at it and still don't know what is wrong with it.

- Texarkana, TX, USA

Aug 142013

Commander 6-cyl

I purchasedmy 2007jeepcommander on august05,2013 with 117,578 miles on it. Within a week, I was driving approx. 30 mphwheninoticedthevehiclefeelinglike it had a hard time accelerating, whenitslowed down completely but did not shut off. Panicking, I kept pressingtheacceleratorandmovedtheshifter out of gear when the vehicle jerked and resumed back up to speed. A few days later the vehicle, while traveling at approximately 50 mph completely slowed down again but did not come to a complete stop and service park assist illuminated onthedashboardwithall the gears lit up at the same time as if saying the Jeep was in all gears at the same time. Within a couple of hours the check engine light came on. I brought the vehicle to a repair shop, were they scanned the code and told me it wasn't a "real code" probably a computer malfunction and it should turn off on its own, which it did, a day later. This has happened at least 8 different times throughout the 5 months of owning this vehicle. Finally I looked onlinefor recalls, there is a power-train and electrical recall for the time my Jeep was manufactured, explaining all the same troubles I've been having, however when I called Chrysler customer service, I was advised I had a side airbag recall but nothing on power-train.when I told the representative that the warranty was for my vehicle in the time it was manufactured she told me it wasn't in the system and that if I wanted it fixed I would have to go to the dealership pay for it and keep my receipt and when Chrysler came out with a recall for my Jeep I could come forward. Meanwhile, I'm driving around in a documented unsafe vehicle with my 18 month old in the back and I have to either wait for this car to cause an accident or enough people complain and they issue another recall. Please help, I just want this vehicle to be safe for my children.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Nov 222013

Commander 8-cyl

2007 Jeep Commander engine stall in stop and in freeway at 65mph out of the blue could barely drive it almost caused us to get into an accident, had to pull over multiple times.

- Chula Vista , CA, USA

Oct 082013

Commander 6-cyl

The park assist light comes on causing the vehicle to stall while driving. Lost communication with left front door module electrical.

- Katy, TX, USA