2007 Jeep Commander engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Jeep Commander:

2007 Jeep Commander Owner Comments (Page 6 of 6)

Apr 172012

Commander 6-cyl Diesel

Car stalls when driving down the road. The drnp dash lights all light up at the same time and the car shuts down for a couple seconds, then it resumes. It has happened several times randomly in the past. Today, it stalled 3 times on the highway on my home from work. I had to pull over and restart the car. The check engine light finally came on today. The seatbelts also have broken several times. I've replaced 2 separate seatbelt cases (the outer cover) in the past year. The middle, second row seatbelt is locked up and currently unusable. When I bought the car, the first time I put up the 3rd row seat, the seatbelt was crushed by the seat and broken. And, the back seatbelt is currently broken again (which I have only used the 3rd row seats twice since owning the car), I plan to have them repair it again when I take the car in to get the check engine light checked :(

- Cassel, CA, USA

Sep 102008

Commander 6-cyl

I have had my 07 Jeep Commander (3.6 V6) since January 2008. I have notice numerous times while driving from a complete stop, that my vehicle will lose power and start to sputter when I try to apply the gas and the car moves very slow as in less than 20mph. This has happened to me numerous times and makes me very uncomfortable driving knowing that my car can stop and leave me vulnerable to being rear-ended at intersections or common stops. I notice when this happens that my vehicle cluster displays "service park assist" and the service park assist light comes on uncontrollably and at the same time my dash/ cluster also displays ( [P][R][N][D] ) all at once as if the vehicle does not know what gear it is in. This is not acceptable for a vehicle that is supposed to provide a safe driving experience. I also find it very disappointing that numerous people all over the United States and internet/ forums all have this problem and Chrysler tries to narrow it down to a select year. Model. And engine. My vehicle has the same issues as the previous recall for the 2007 4.7 V8 engines, yet Chrysler ignores the community of Jeep Commander owners with the 3.6 V6 engine that have the same problem. There is also a tsb (18-004-09 rev. A) that describes the clunking and hesitation you feel when trying to get up to speed. This is not something a customer should have to pay for. My vehicle is a 2007 with less than 40,000 miles on it and I should be able to enjoy my vehicle safely during this time period. Another problem is that the vehicle does this at random so you can't just take it to the dealership and show them the problem. I'm sure they would gladly take my money and let me spend 1000+ dollars for new parts, but I have an 8yr/80,000 mile warranty purchased from Chrysler and will not pay for diagnostic after diagnostic to try and replicate a problem that is clearly there...

- Antioch, CA, USA

Oct 302012

Commander 4WD 8-cyl

Was driving to work going about 60 mph and motor just shuts off. Had to pull off to the side of the road and turn off the key and tried to restart engine. It didn't start on the first try had to turn key off and tried again it started. It did the same thing when I was going home that morning had to do the same thing as above to get it started again. This is very dangerous I didn't have power steering or brakes luckily I wasn't on the freeway.

- Loretto, KY, USA

Sep 222012

Commander 4WD 8-cyl

Driving home from the doctors office my Jeep went dead on me. I had no. Ideal what was wrong with it. It started back up and it has happen to me several mire times since. I travel with my kids and I'm afraid it is going to get us killed. Please let me know of any recalls.

- Milledgeville, TN, USA

Oct 122012

Commander

This has happened to me. I am a mother, wife, daughter. The bad thing of this situation is that I had this replaced once before I had 31,505 miles on it and the ems electric transmission shift module had to be replaced. 4 yrs later mileage at 82,000 miles the same part has to be replaced. I have contacted Chrysler and all they can say we are sorry there is nothing I can do for you. This part is no longer under warranty and informed that the part (68021352) was not included in a recall. This malfunctions has caused me to no longer feel safe in my car. I don't want to drive my car with my daughter in it. With out warning this has happened one to many times. This part should be recalled when I had the vehicle serviced back in 2008 I paid $100 now today when I had it repaired it cost $1000. Funny isn't it that over 4 yrs this part has doubled in price. And the mechanic at Chrysler says to me oh yeah I've seen this alot on this model.

- Augusta , MI, USA

Nov 132008

Commander 6-cyl

While driving my assistance system brake light came on I was driving 30mph and had to pull over the car would not shift or go over 30 mpr at 31,505 miles on it and the ems electric transmission shift module. Has to be replaced. 4 yrs later mileage at 82,000 miles the same part has to be replaced.this time I was on interstate 94 driving 60mpr and the lights came on I pulled off interstate and when I pulled into gas station the car pulled and lunged I turned it off waited and turned back on while I was driving at 30mpr it would not go past 30mpr. I have contacted Chrysler and all they can say is hold on to your receipts as this part is no longer under warranty and informed that the vehicle was not included in a recall. This malfunctions has caused me to no longer feel safe in my car. I don't want to drive my car with my daughter in it.

- Augusta, MI, USA

Oct 102012

Commander 4WD 8-cyl

My wife was driving to church with my daughter and the vehicle stalled without warning for the 7th or 8th time since we bought the vehicle. There was heavy traffic at 6pm and it scared her and my 9 yr old daughter to tears. This vehicle is a real danger to my family and the lives of others. It does not start at this point.

- Hendersonville , TN, USA

Apr 202012

Commander 4WD 8-cyl

Slowing down at a traffic light and the vehicle stalled. Again coming close to causing a major accident because of so much traffic., the vehicle would not start again for about 30 minutes cause grid lock and chaos. All I could here was a clicking sound when trying to start it. This happened multiple times after that and the last time I ended up having to steer into a steep ditch to avoid rear ending an 18 wheeler. I had my kids with me at the time. I contacted the dealer and got no help.

- Hendersonville, TN, USA

Mar 062012

Commander 4WD 8-cyl

Driving down the highway at 65 mph. The vehicle stalled and I lost all power. Continued to run and stalled 5 minutes later almost causing an accident.

- Hendersonville , TN, USA

Aug 052012

Commander

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Commander. The contact stated that while driving 70 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was restarted and driven 25 more miles as the failure recurred three additional times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer for diagnosis who stated that the failure was possibly caused by a spark plug malfunction. The repair was performed and fifteen minutes later, the failure recurred. The dealer then advised that a coil could have been defective but they were unsure, as they could not replicate the failure. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnosis and after five weeks of research, the mechanic was unable to locate or diagnose the malfunction. The manufacturer was notified but offered no assistance. The failure mileage was 92,000 and the current mileage was 93,000.

- Paris, TX, USA

Jul 182012

Commander

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Commander. The contact stated that while driving 60 mph, the vehicle stalled and all the warning lights illuminated on the instrument panel. The contact was able to restart the vehicle as it resumed normal function. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer for inspection. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 50,000.

- Weymouth, MA, USA

Aug 142012

Commander

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Commander. The contact stated that while driving 60 mph, the vehicle stalled and all the light illuminated on the instrument panel. The contact stated that she maneuver to the side of the road and restarted which started to function properly afterwards. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection who referred her to the manufacturer. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure who did not offer any assistance. The failure mileage was 60,000.

- La Jolla, CA, USA

Jan 012009

Commander

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Commander. While the contact was driving approximately 65 mph, the engine stalled with the illumination of the warning indicator. The vehicle restarted immediately and resumed as normal. Also, there was low engine power response when the accelerator pedal was engaged. The failure occurred sporadically. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer who was unable to locate a problem. The manufacturer was not notified of the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 30,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Chester Heights, PA, USA

Feb 032012

Commander

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Commander. The contact stated while driving the vehicle stalled. The failure recurred numerous times and up to twice a day. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis. The relay MINIwas replaced. The failure recurred. The vehicle was taken to a different dealer and was awaiting diagnosis. The manufacturer was notified and a complaint was filed with them. The failure mileage was 46,000 and the current mileage was 51,000.

- Hemet, CA, USA

Jul 022012

Commander

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Commander. The contact stated that while driving 70 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis where the contact was advised that there were multiple diagnostic codes received on the vehicle and the manufacturer would have to be contacted for further guidance. The vehicle was not repaired and the failure recurred numerous times. The VIN was unavailable. The failure and current mileages were 90,500.

- South Windsor, CT, USA

Jun 152012

Commander

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Commander. The contact stated that while driving 65 mph, the vehicle stalled. The contact was able to safely maneuver to the shoulder and coast to a stop. The vehicle operated as normal upon restart, but the check engine light illuminated on the instrument panel. The failure recurred intermittently. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer and a tune up was performed. The failure continued. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 125,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Norwood, MA, USA

Mar 032010

Commander

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Commander. The contact stated while driving 30 mph the vehicle stalled and the traction control warning lamp illuminated. The failure occurred five times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who was unable to duplicate the failure. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 30,000 and the current mileage was 82,500.

- Northbrook, IL, USA

May 302012

Commander 4WD 8-cyl

As of June 8th 2011 I bought my Jeep used with approximately 42000 miles on it soon after it started having filling issues then for a while the issue ceased now about a month before date of stall listed above it started with the same filling issues except worse now causing it to not want to shift into gears as normal car would, kinda jerking in between shifts from different speeds and RPM increase and decrease. It has stalled on me twice now. The first time on the interstate at 70 mph with my 3 kids and pregnant wife in the car causing all power functions to be lost and we almost got ran over by a transfer truck trying to get to the shoulder of the road. I had it look at and the throttle body and intake cleaned of carbon deposited and now today June 12th 2012 it stalled again getting off the interstate heading to my work. Still filling high and low and stalling and jerking between the natural shifting of the transmission.

- Nebo, NC, USA

May 192012

Commander

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Commander. While attempting a turn, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was not inspected or repaired. The current and failure mileages were 82,000. The VIN was not available.

- Odenton, MD, USA