2007 Jeep Commander engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Jeep Commander:

2007 Jeep Commander Owner Comments (Page 1 of 6)

Nov 072016

Commander

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Commander. While driving approximately 50 mph, the vehicle lost power and shut down. The vehicle was pulled over to the side of the road and restarted, but the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where twelve warning codes were produced. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure was not remedied. The failure mileage was approximately 100,000.

- Wheaton, IL, USA

Nov 012014

Commander

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Commander. While driving at any speed, the rpms increased and the vehicle shut down. The vehicle was able to be restarted. The failure recurred multiple times. The vehicle was driven to a mechanic who found a "P0 433 cam sensor code" failure. The vehicle was repaired; however, the failure recurred. The approximate failure mileage was 90,000.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Dec 012008

Commander

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Commander. While driving various speeds, the vehicle lost power. The accelerator pedal was depressed, but the vehicle failed to accelerate. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. All the gear selections illuminated on the instrument cluster. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the engine, radiator, spark plugs, and multiple parts needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired; however, the failure recurred. The VIN was later included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V438000 (electrical system); however, the part needed to repair the vehicle was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 20,000. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Aug 192016

Commander

My 2007 Jeep Commander is stalling and shutting off while in park and while driving regardless of speed. It has been diagnosed at a Jeep dealership and they say the fuel pump is bad though are unsure if that will fix the problem.

- Florence, SC, USA

Aug 202016

Commander

For a number of years now I intermittently receive a "transmission over temp" message in my dash and the car won't start for about 24 hours later. This usually happens after a good rain. I will drive to somewhere and then park for about 10 minutes. When I try to start the vehicle, it doesn't start until about 24 hours later. I replaced the battery and still have the same issue. Auto shops were not able to fix this issue and no one seems to have a clue how to fix this. Right now the vehicle is unreliable as if I go somewhere there is a risk that I will be stranded.

- Oakville, OH, USA

Jul 042016

Commander

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Commander. The contact stated that the vehicle was previously repaired according to a recall for the final drive module, which was reprogrammed and re-flashed. After the repair and driving approximately 60 mph, the vehicle would downshift without warning, which caused the final drive module to overheat. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the final drive module needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue and opened a case regarding the failure; however, a decision of the repair was not finalized. The approximate failure mileage was 89,000.

- Wyalusing, PA, USA

Jul 042016

Commander

The battery light came on close to my home I continue to drive and when I open the hood the alternator was smoking and smelled like it was burning it was so hard it almost caught on fire there was no flame but there was lots of smoke

- Lansing, MI, USA

Jul 102014

Commander

My situation began on Jul 10, 14 when my vehicle began stalling while driving. Since that time, this vehicle has been stalling and quitting on the highway/city streets and sputtering along every time I drive it. This vehicle stop running on me while driving 65 to 70 mph and I have to pull over to restart it. This is at a standstill and cannot be restarted while coasting. Another time I was at a stop light and the motor died when I applied the gas pedal. Even while turning onto a major highway has given me scary moments. Even while at a stand still, the engine has died on me. These incidents that I have described have happened to me and my wife more than once for each situation that I mentioned here. To the best of my judgement, my situation is a major safety issue and an accident waiting to happen. The situation here is that the engine sputters/stalls and quits on me while driving. The cause to me is unknown since I am not a mechanic. As stated, this started Jul 2014 and has been ongoing to date.

- Cherokee, TX, USA

Jun 202016

Commander

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Commander. The contact stated that the check engine warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed as an exhaust failure. The vehicle was taken to the delaer, but the cause of the failure could not be determined. While operating the vehicle at 35 mph, it became filled with smoke. Upon inspection, the contact noticed smoke seeping through underneath the vehicle. The vehicle was pulled over and evacuated. The vehicle was towed to the dealer. The failure mileage was approximately 118,000.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Mar 022016

Commander

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Commander. While driving approximately 65 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was coasted to the side of the road. After an hour, the vehicle was restarted and resumed normal operation. The failure recurred three times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and an independent mechanic, but the cause of the failure could not be determined. On a separate occassion, there was extremely low engine power and an unusual noise emitted outside of the vehicle when driving. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Arlington, TX, USA

May 012016

Commander

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Commander. While driving approximately 45 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was towed to a certified mechanic who diagnosed that the rear axle of the vehicle was leaking oil. The certified mechanic stated that the entire rear axle and the sensor for the fuel needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not able to be driven. The dealer performed all the oil changes, but never informed the contact that the vehicle was experiencing an oil leak. The contact informed the dealer of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 112,000.

- Zion, IL, USA

Mar 212016

Commander

It is the second time this happens to us when on a highway. The first time my husband was driving and we have our child with us. We thought it was a part of the latest recall we received in the mail regarding the key ignition. This time I was driving on a highway, going about 60-65 mph when the engine light came on, I starting losing power, tachometer starting going down and the accelerator pedal was completely unresponsive and significantly hard to push down on it, the speed continued to go down as I was trying to get to the shoulder as fast as I could but with an unresponsive engine it was very difficult. It was also difficult to move the steering wheel as this got harden. I managed to pull over on the shoulder and had to turn the engine off. After waiting 10-15 minutes, I turned the engine back on and was able to get to my destination which was not far from where I had to pull over. The engine light is still on and I'm afraid this would happen again next time I drive my vehicle which is every day. This was not a pleasant experience at all and it is very frightening when you are on a highway and all of the sudden have no control of your vehicle, it is definitely not safe at all. This Jeep has gone through all the recalls that I have gotten in the mail.

- Perry Hall, MD, USA

Feb 082016

Commander

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Commander. The contact stated that the vehicle would not start and was towed to the dealer. The dealer diagnosed that moisture was entering a protector seal to the module in the rear passenger side fender. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 93,360.

- Aston, PA, USA

Dec 282015

Commander

While driving my 2007 Jeep Commander, it will shut off. Other times the lights will flicker off and car seems to stall. This problem happens without any warning. It is very scary to be driving on the interstate and the car just stops!!! I have four children that I drive around, so this can not happen! I have read where there have been many complaints about this and nothing has been done. That is unacceptable because lives are at risk. I'm taking the vehicle in for the ignition switch recall, but I have read where that has not fixed the issue I am having.

- Slidell, LA, USA

Oct 282015

Commander

I purchased my Jeep in April of this year. The 1st week I had it, it seemed to be be loosing power so I put it in the shop to have it repaired. This went on for several months. The Jeep stopped several times while I would be driving on the highway with my children. Despite the many advances of putting it in the shop, the problem never seemed to get fixed. About 3 weeks ago, I was on the highway with my 3 year old daughter and my boyfriend when it lost power to the point it shut off again. Thank god we all were able to safely make it out the Jeep without beimg injured. I had it towed to the repair shop were I was told my motor locked up. When I asked the mechanic how was that possible he said he had never seen anything like this happen before. It had oil and it wasn't running hot at all. It never ran hot at any point actually. When he checked, he found the Jeep didn't have any coolant but could not give reason to why this happened. I contacted several Jeep dealerships that told me that never hadn't never been any recall on my Jeep but I found several things on the internet stating that the engine and coolant system a on my vehicle had been an issue with other Jeep owners same year; make and model of my vehicle.

- Cahokia, IL, USA

Oct 012007

Commander

I completed a recall (14V-438 recall date: September 3, 2014 manufacturer recall number: P41) understanding that my problem would end. The ignition key recall work: When I insert the key to the ignition, it takes an effort to push and turn the ignition key. 1) I am afraid the key will break off after several attempts. 2) I have not experienced the light flickering and electric panel shutdown (engine still running, but panel seems to be disconnected from engine performance at this point) 3) my vehicle continues to accelerated on its own with foot on brakes only when stopped at a light or stopped and making turns, or stopped on "P- park" with engine idling joltin my head/body (to describe how much it is felt).

- Millerton, NY, USA

Nov 162015

Commander

I have a 2007 Jeep same engine and trans, it is doing same think as the 2006 recall is expressing. All I get from dealer is they can find nothing wrong. I can't get them to help me with anything. If you search the web you will see this is a big issue on the 2007 Jeep also. I was very close to getting into a crash today. This is the 4th time it has happened. Recall number: 08V203000recall date: 05/06/2008 component: Power train:automatic transmission:control module (tcm, PCM) problem summary: Chrysler is recalling 24,461 my 2006 Jeep Commander vehicles equipped with 4.7L V8 engines. The powertrain control module (PCM) was programmed with software that may allow the engine to stall under certain operating conditions. Consequence: This could cause a crash without warning. What owners should do: Dealers will reprogram the PCM software in all 4.7L engine equipped my 2006 Jeep Commanders built prior to January 11, 2006. The recall began on May 19, 2008. Owners may contact Chrysler at 1-800-853-1403.

- Green Cove Springs, FL, USA

Oct 192015

Commander

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Commander. While driving approximately 30 mph, the engine stalled. The vehicle was able to restart. The failure recurred several times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V438000 (electrical system); however, the part to do repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The approximate failure mileage was 122,000.

- Standford, CT, USA

Aug 032015

Commander

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Commander. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the entire instrument panel illuminated and the vehicle overheated. The failure occurred several times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure mileage and VIN were unknown.

- New Roads, LA, USA

Oct 312012

Commander

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Commander. While driving at approximately 25 mph, the engine stalled. The vehicle was able to restart after three attempts. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the gear shift needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure persisted. The contact received a notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V438000 (electrical system) however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Trenton, NJ, USA