2007 Jeep Commander miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Jeep Commander:

2007 Jeep Commander Owner Comments

May 262016

I have as keep Commander 2007 recently my ignition was recalled and fixed now my Jeep seems to be to trying to shift while I'm on the freeway at speeds as much as 60-65 and my 4 wheel drive service light is on take it to the shop they did a diagnostic and it thru a trouble code C1438 transfer case differential also recommended replacing transfer case front riverine so I did all repairs $3400 now the same problem is happening take it back still under warranty and the transfer housing is once again needing replacing the mechanic wants to charge me another $695 I feel like he's taking advantage and I'm really upset the work was done May 2016 something tells me that something is wrong and possible recall was done for this problem and I am not notified

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Dec 202015

Car won't start when turn key to start. All control panel light and audio works. When turn key back to off position transmission over temp message appears. Car had been sitting in garage for a couple of days. This third or fourth time this has occurred.

Dec 152015

The 2007 Jeep Commander I have recently purchased starts intermittently. When turning the ignition to start, there is a stall before all controls come on, and then the Jeep does not start. This happened a little over a month ago for 1 day and then began starting right away, until now. It does not start with a battery jump, nor does it show any signs of transmission damage. It simply does not start.

- Boulder, MT, USA

Nov 162015

I have a 2007 Jeep same engine and trans, it is doing same think as the 2006 recall is expressing. All I get from dealer is they can find nothing wrong. I can't get them to help me with anything. If you search the web you will see this is a big issue on the 2007 Jeep also. I was very close to getting into a crash today. This is the 4th time it has happened. Recall number: 08V203000recall date: 05/06/2008 component: Power train:automatic transmission:control module (tcm, PCM) problem summary: Chrysler is recalling 24,461 my 2006 Jeep Commander vehicles equipped with 4.7L V8 engines. The powertrain control module (PCM) was programmed with software that may allow the engine to stall under certain operating conditions. Consequence: This could cause a crash without warning. What owners should do: Dealers will reprogram the PCM software in all 4.7L engine equipped my 2006 Jeep Commanders built prior to January 11, 2006. The recall began on May 19, 2008. Owners may contact Chrysler at 1-800-853-1403.

- Green Cove Springs, FL, USA

Aug 012015

The car can not start.

- Mount Holly, NJ, USA

Oct 132015

I have received recall notices about the ignition switch twice. I have been waiting almost a year for a fix. I called tom obrien Chrysler Jeep again this week. They still do not have the parts to repair this. This is a serious safety issue and should have been repaired along time ago!

- Carmel, IN, USA

Jul 102014

In the summer of 2014, I was reversing and my 2007 Jeep Commander turned off twice. It has been happening more frequently since then. My Jeep turns off while driving up to 30 miles an hour, and while stopped at a light, and/or a stop sign. The check engine light sometimes turns on, but not always when Jeep turns off. Sometimes it makes a 'huffing puffing' noise like it's struggling to stay on (before it actually turns off). It always turns on right after, but I have noticed it makes a loud squeaky sound when it turns on after I crank it. That squeaky sound, sounds like the sound it makes when someone tries to crank on the vehicle after vehicle is already been on. The Chrysler recall center mailed me a recall P41 notice last summer/fall in 2014. I took it to the Chrysler Jeep dealership in mcallen, Texas for recall P41 service at that time. I've taken my Jeep to several mechanics since then, but no one seems to find the problem. The servicemen at dealership said to keep checking in with them to see if they have the part. They said problem is not related to recall P41...and keep advising me of other possible problems. I've fixed all of the possible problems suggested, and yet the 'turning off' still continues! the service manager at dealership, and the Chrysler recall center people keep telling me that Chrysler has not made part available, and for me to remove any extra keys from the key ring, and to continue driving me Jeep until the part is available. Chrysler will then mail me notice of recall part availability. I've been dealing with this problem for over a year! it is very scary, especially when it happens unexpectedly in an unreliable vehicle!! I don't feel safe.

- Princeton, TX, USA

Apr 262015

Our Jeep was parked in the driveway when we noticed flames and smoke coming out from under the driver's side dash. The Jeep was completely engulfed in flames in 5 minutes.

- Colfax, WA, USA

Mar 222014

Transmission over temp. Car starts no problem. Some smoke from under vehicle

Apr 112008

Commander 4WD 6-cyl

I have a 2007 Jeep Commander and it is less than four years old and I have had the starter replaced 4 times. Jeep can't explain why they can't fully fix the problem and they refuse to acknowledge that this is an issue with the Commanders at large and not my specific vehicle. In addition to having had the starter replaced 4 times, I have also had the electronic shifting module replaced as well and the crankshaft. My Commander has less than 40,000 miles on it and has been well maintained since I purchased it brand new. Jeep has failed to address my concerns and refuses to accept responsibility for selling me a vehicle. Jeep suggested I purchase a new vehicle and I find this preposterous due to the fact that the car is less than four years old. The Commander is clearly defective and Jeep needs to take responsibility for it. Instead, Jeep refuses to accept responsibility and they decided to rectify the problem by halting production.

May 202011

At random times, when trying to start the Jeep it wont start and say transmission over temp. At first it would take a couple days before it would start again. I used it for a few more days and it did the same thing. A couple hours later it started back up. After a few more times of happening ive noticed you can put it in neutral and back in park and sometimes it restarts. The dealership has looked at it and said they had another one with the same problem but no fix for it.

- Fort Drum, NY, USA

Aug 262010

Vehicle begins to stall, and has no acceleration, check engine light comes on, and all gears are highlighted on the dash. It has become more frequent, and now is happening at highway speeds, where before it happened from a stopped position attempting to accelerate. On 01/22/11 while traveling approximately 60mph on a freeway, the gears selections where all highlighted, and the car began to bog, and had no acceleration. This was a cause for concern being on a major congested highway in Chicago, with my family in the vehicle. This stalling problem has happened approximately 20-30 times since it first started happening.

- Chicago, IL, USA