2008 Jeep Commander electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Jeep Commander:

2008 Jeep Commander Owner Comments (Page 7 of 8)

May 242014

Ignition was very loose and would even start with just touching the key without turning it. Would also turn off with just a touch of the key. It soon got to the point where it was not making connection and would not start from time to time. Which stranded me and my family several times far from home. After changing many things on the Jeep I decided to take it on a family vacation where it would not start and we had to have it towed back home took it to the dealership and they said it was the ignition module which they replaced for $600. The Jeep is running great now. And I am not afraid to drive it anymore. It sat in the garage here at home for months and I thought about trading it in but I did not want someone else to get stuck or hurt from it.

- Freeport, PA, USA

Jul 142014

The contact owns a 2008 Jeep Commander. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 15 mph, the ignition was independently turned to the off position. The dealer was contacted and stated that there were no recalls related of the failure. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 88,000.

- Leonard, MI, USA

Nov 212012

Commander 6-cyl

We just bought our Jeep and in the first week we had it stalled for no reason. We took it back to the dealership and they couldn't not repeat the problem. It has since stalled 5 or 6 times at various speeds. I am concerned that this is a real safety issue and am afraid to let my teenage son drive this vehicle.

- Hermitage, PA, USA

Jul 012014

Commander 8-cyl

While driving on the highway, the entire dashboard went black and the car went completely dead. This has happened 3 times since the first incident. No lights, power steering or brakes, no power windows to put my hand out to wave cars around me. Car also stalls immediately upon starting up. Also another recurring issue is the entire dashboard lighting up and flashing, total power loss--no power in gas pedal, car stops, and then suddenly kicks back in. I called the dealership and they said I must pay $99.50 for a diagnostic test.

- Harrison, NY, USA

Apr 102014

Commander 8-cyl

While driving, the car suddenly lost all electrical power. We had to pull to the side of the road. We turned the ignition switch completely off and then re-started the car.

- Dublin, OH, USA

Jul 172013

Last summer several months after purchasing the nicely maintained vehicle from a reputable dealership I was driving along subdivision street and that vehicle turned off. I put it in neutral and I was able to start it and get gas I thought it was odd.-----maybe I did something. The second time my son was driving on a five lane busy commercial street and it turned off. Again. I was able to easily coach him through it and it started up. This time we told my husband who works in automotive engineering. He talked to some people and came up with the idea that it was the extra keys that were on the ignition key ring. Seemed logical sometimes I do have a bunch of extra keys on my ring ----but I remember thinking that I didn't have the extra keys on that occasion. It didn't happen again------until yesterday. Daughter driving----in a parking lot----thought she ran out of gas. No extra keys----no warning lights-----nothing ------just stops running. Husband last to drive car the day before----no warning lights, no indication of any problem. Daughter gets in car checks dashboard indicators for gas ---determines she has enough to get her to work and drives in a remote parking space. While leaving the long lot her car dies at the exit of the county water park. The park is closed everyone leaves and she is there alone thinking she is out of gas. Husband comes puts five gallons in starts up with no problem--drives to gas station and the car will only take $10. It was not out of gas-------the engine stopped-------for no reason while driving for at least the third time. I am saying for at least the third time because it may have happened more than once to me-----I absolutely remember the first time, and then with my son, but it could have once or twice again in 2013.

- Rochester, MI, USA

Apr 012011

Commander 6-cyl

Purchased 3/11. 6/11 myself/3 others were locked in the vehicle. Doors wouldn't unlock/open, windows didn't work, wouldn't start. We were held hostage for 5 min when it start up and everything worked. 6/11 exited-left the keys on seat 30 sec later lights inside flickered, doors locked, horn honked. 7/2011 driving down the highway at 70 mph it momentarily shut off for about 3 sec and turned its self-back on. This caused a drastic drop in speed before it restarted. 7/11 drivers side floor mat was very wet from rain entering the truck. 7/11 driving in a rain storm witnessed water coming down the driver's side pillar next to the windshield. 4/12 attempted to start it. Everything worked but wouldn't start 20 min later started right up. This happened 7 times since. 3/14 parked for 2 min wouldn't restart. Had it towed to a shop where they started it right up. They couldn't find anything wrong. Went to pick it up and it wouldn't start. So they started replacing things hoping they could find a problem. New battery-old battery was good, fuses, starter, relays and out of the blue two days later it started up even after attempts after the fixes 5/13 all lights went out, wipers, wiper sprayer, horn, blinkers, dash lights, rear park assist all stopped working. I was forced to drive home in the rain at night with none of these. 4/14 this happened again for about 24 hours. 5/14 this happened again for 5 days. I have called dealerships about recalls and always told no and to bring it in at $100/hour to find the issues. It has been hooked up to code readers 10+ time with no codes. Licensed mechanics who can tell me only what they think it could be, educated guesses. Every day is a guessing game with this Jeep and what it's going to do or when I'm going to get injured due to one of these numerous, chronic, magical issues.

- Germantown, WI, USA

Jun 192013

Commander 8-cyl

The car starts on it's own without a key!! it does not have remote start, but I will be walking away from my parked shut off car or up in my kitchen and hear my car sounding like the pedal is down to the medal. It's not just running, it sounds like it is going to blow-up! it's happened 5 times, most recently 2 days ago. It sounds like somebody is racing the engine but it's in park and the car was off. Sometimes it's hours later, other times within 20 min of shut off. It scares me that it will start driving or catch fire in my garage!! the car literally turns itself on!! and it's not just electrical because the engine is running!! I has 65000 miles and started acting weird around 20000 when the electrical system would shut off while I was driving. Car would just shift down mid-drive. It was scaring me that my car's engine would shift itself down D/to the electrical systems. Now it's on and off on it's own!! please help!!

- San Diego , CA, USA

Nov 262013

Commander 6-cyl

Purchased a 2008 Jeep Commander in Feb 2009. It has been shutting off and stalling while driving during the past 6 months. In November 2013 (on thanksgiving morning) drove it to the store and when I came back it didn't start. Has to call a tow truck, over the hour while I waited for the tow truck it didn't start and I tried numerous times. Truck was towed to the mechanic cause the Chrysler service station was closed on thanksgiving through Dec 2nd. The mechanic tried to start the truck on 11/28 Friday and it started. He has had the truck since 11/28 and every time he goes to start it, it starts which doesn't help me cause he can't pin point the problem. I called Chrysler service station and they can't take me until 12/11. Bigger question is why isn't my truck included in the Chrysler # H03 recall? it is experiencing the same problem as explained in the recall, yet when I call Chrysler they tell me my 2008 Jeep isn't part of the recall and the 2008 recall includes the Jeep. It's an ambiguous decision and leaves people in danger while driving on the highways. My truck has a problem and it can't be fixed unless it happens again while in a service station so it can be documented by a computer. This is a nightmare and something should be done by Dodge / Chrysler to fix it without endangering the lives of many people.

- Seaford , NY, USA

May 052010

Commander 4-cyl

The vehicle shuts off while driving. Car just shuts off all power and the engine. It restarts after a few minutes. I have taken it to the dealer, but they have never been able to replicate it. It has happened over 30 times in the last few years. I purchased the vehicle as our family vehicle. However, in the past couple years my wife and I mostly juggle our other vehicle, especially with our small children. This last time it occurred was 9/09/2013 while on the freeway at a speed of 60mph. I narrowly escaped a potentially horrific accident with a couple eighteen wheelers. I pushed it off to the side of the road by myself. Eventually it started long enough to get to an offramp where it stopped again. It was towed and is now at the dealership. However, now I see by looking online that it is a common problem. I am astonished that Chrysler would allow this to be happening and knowingly put us all in danger.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Aug 172013

The contact owns a 2008 Jeep Commander 4X4. The contact stated that the vehicle was parked with the ignition running and the parking brake engaged when the vehicle independently shifted into reverse. The driver jumped out of the vehicle before it crashed into a waterway. The driver sustained a swollen ankle as a result. A police report was not filed. The vehicle was pulled out of the water and towed to a local dealer. The vehicle was not diagnosed but was deemed as destroyed. The manufacturer was made aware of the incident. The approximate failure mileage was 55000.

- Sarasota, FL, USA

Aug 092013

There seems to be a nationwide problem with 2008 Jeep Commanders. The car will not start, or will stall while driving that can cause a major accident!!!!! this has to do with the win module. It is such an issue that the part needed has been on back order for months!!!!! what is it going to take to take for Chrysler to recall this vehicle!! I am paying for a car that I can not drive!!! so I have to pay for a rental car and this Jeep!!!! if nothing is done, will class action lawsuit be the next step?? please respond.

- Greenville, SC, USA

Apr 092013

Commander 8-cyl

While driving the vehicle ignition switch shuts off without warning. I have taken the vehicle into the Chrysler dealer and they have refused to replace the switch even though I am willing to pay all costs. They say this is such a big problem that the switches are being restricted (cannot be replaced unless there is current danger to the owner) by Chrysler. This happens all the time as I was driving on the expressway and the car just shut off. This has happened aprox. 30 times in the last 3 months.

- Rochester Hills, MI, USA

Apr 092013

Commander 6-cyl

I stopped at a store when I came out the car wouldn't start. Took care to dealership the ignition module was burnt out and had to be replaced.

- Otisville, MI, USA

Jun 092013

Commander 6-cyl

I was making a left turn on a local road, I was starting to accelerate when the car shut off without warning. I glided safely to the side of the road. Lost power steering, power brakes. The radio and headlights were still on. I was able to turn the key to the off position and restart the engine. Didn't see any warning lights. I was only going at less than 10 mph and I was pulling from a full-stop. The same thing happened 3 days later.

- Framingham, MA, USA

Jun 012010

Commander 6-cyl

While driving at highway speed vehicle lost engine power slowing vehicle on highway. Speed is restored after foot is taken off accelerator and reapplied. Lights appear on days indicating the stability control and an electrical problem. Vehicle was brought to mechanic several times and could not locate any problems. Loss of power is now at random intervals at all speeds and all conditions. Mechanic is still unable to locate any problem. Fear an incident could occur at any time resulting in a crash at highway speeds. Lots of information about the same problem located on the web.

- Hudson, MA, USA

May 062013

I've been having issues with my '08 Commander for several months now. The sunroof leaked and water got into the dashboard, shorting the radio out. Dealer fixed sunroof seal and radio. On the drive home from the dealer, dashboard lights started flashing. Returned to dealer the next day, but they could not locate a problem. Three days later, car would shut off while driving and all dashboard lights would flash. Returned to dealer, they were unable to "duplicate" issue. Tech from dealer drove car for 1 day and he could not find an issue. One week later, car smelled horrible of fuel and car would shut off while driving. Returned to dealer and dealer replaced O2 sensor. Picked up car and on my way home, lights flashed, car stalled and smelled worse of fuel. Immediately returned to dealer, dealer replaced a second O2 sensor. Picked up car, 5 miles from dealer, check engine light came on. Called dealer and he said to drive car until the engine "reset"(about 10 miles) or until light began flashing, then bring it in since they can not find a real problem. Issue seemed to resolve for a couple weeks of not driving car much, but then the dashboard lights began flashing again, car smelled of fuel and car seemed bogged down. Today, car barely started and was very bogged down. Attempted to drive, but check engine light came on and flashed repeatedly. Car would not go over 40mph, shook horribly and finally shut off. I am afraid to drive this car with my child inside. I am a disabled single mother and I need a dependable car and definitely not one thats going to keep costing me money. I have a warranty that I purchased with the car, but it seems to still cost an arm and a leg to get this car running for a few days before it chokes up again. This car has sucked up all my savings and still no resolution to the problem.

- Lewisville, NC, USA

Mar 272013

Commander 8-cyl

My 2008 Jeep Commander overland edition has shut off multiple times while I am driving down the interstate at 60 + mph. I look all function when this happens; power steering, gas, electrical, etc. I have to make my way to the side of the road, put the car in park and restart it. It always restarts right away. I have taken my car in 4-6 times to allen samuels Dodge, Jeep in katy tx to try and have the problem diagnosed. Each time they keep my car for multiple days and then tell me they cannot diagnose the problem. I have called Chrysler customer service and am getting no help from them either. They keep telling me to take the car in to get it looked at so they can diagnose it. Yet each time I take the car in to get a diagnosis, I am charged for a rental car for a few days, but then told they cannot diagnose the problem and they send me on my way. Within weeks, I have the same problem of the car shutting off while driving down the interstate. I have researched the problem online and have found hundreds of people complaining of the exact same problems in their 2008 Jeep Commander. I am at a loss as to what to do now. I feel the car is extrememly unsafe, yet Chrysler is doing nothing to fix the problem.

- Katy, TX, USA

Mar 162013

Started Jeep, backed out of parking space, turned left out of parking lot, drove 20 feet to stop sign, Jeep stalled while waiting for traffic to clear for left hand turn.

- Saginaw , MI, USA

Jan 012009

The contact owns a 2008 Jeep Commander. The contact stated that while driving, the vehicle suddenly stalled. The contact also stated that the failure occurred while at a complete stop. The vehicle was taken to a private mechanic where two diagnostics were performed but the failure could not be replicated. The vehicle was given a gas treatment but the failure recurred. The failure was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure and informed the contact that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign id number: 08V059000 (electrical system). The failure mileage was 42,000 and the current mileage was 104,000. The VIN was not available.

- Lexington , KY, USA