2008 Jeep Commander engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Jeep Commander:

2008 Jeep Commander Owner Comments

Sep 302014

The contact owns a 2008 Jeep Commander. While driving at 50 mph, the vehicle stalled. The contact was able to restart the vehicle. In addition, the vehicle failed to start. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The contact also stated that the engine warning light had previously illuminated and the cruise control was activated but independently deactivated and over time failed to function. The vehicle had been taken to a dealer but the contact was unsure about what needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V567000 (electrical system) however, the part needed to repair the vehicle was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 54,000.

- Conway, NC, USA

Jun 122013

Commander 4WD 6-cyl

I have had several occurrences of my Jeep stalling while driving. Range in speeds are from 5 - 60mph. Changed a computer and still having the problem.

- West Winfield, NY, USA

Jan 072013

Commander 6-cyl

The car star decreasing speed and wont accelerate. Have to park turn it off and star it again and happen more frequently.

- Monroe, NJ, USA

Jun 012010

Commander 6-cyl

While driving at highway speed vehicle lost engine power slowing vehicle on highway. Speed is restored after foot is taken off accelerator and reapplied. Lights appear on days indicating the stability control and an electrical problem. Vehicle was brought to mechanic several times and could not locate any problems. Loss of power is now at random intervals at all speeds and all conditions. Mechanic is still unable to locate any problem. Fear an incident could occur at any time resulting in a crash at highway speeds. Lots of information about the same problem located on the web.

- Hudson, MA, USA

Mar 262013

Commander 6-cyl

As I was slowly pulling into a parking space with my foot on the brake pedal the car was coasting slowly into the spot. I began to depress the brake pedal to begin stopping when suddenly the brake pedal depressed all the way to the floor and the vehicle began to accelerate. I tried to pump the brake and the vehicle continued over the curb into the building. The airbag never deployed. I did not have my foot near the accelerator during this time, the floor mat was nowhere near the accelerator or brake pedal and the vehicle was in drive. The brakes failed to work and the car accelerated on it's own.

- Seaford, NY, USA

Mar 172012

Commander 6-cyl

My Jeep will stall while driving it without any warning. I have been driving as slow as 20 mph and recently driving on the expressway at about 60 mph and my car will suddenly stall. There have been times ( as recent as yesterday) that it has stalled while driving the expressway and then again at a stop light. It has become increasingly frightening to drive my car as I never know what will trigger it to stall. There are also instances where it will start only after several attempts. I recently had a full diagnostic check-up done and the mechanic reported he could find nothing wrong.

- Chandler, AZ, USA

Mar 012010

Chrysler has a recall on electrical systems on the 2008 Jeep Commander. The recall details loss of headlights, wipers, blinkers, and for the engine to stall. But they are only covering it on certain vins. Our 2008 Jeep Commander has suddenly experienced all these problems. My husbands head lights went out in the middle of driving in the dark. The wipers quit working, we have no blinkers, and the engine keeps stalling. We called the Chrysler corporation and they refuse to take our Jeep in on the recall, yet acknowledged it had all the signs of the recall, they said it had too many miles. We have three small children and the recall states that it is a serious problem and could cause a crash. So what are we too do know?

- Lawrenceburg, KY, USA