2008 Jeep Commander fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Jeep Commander:

2008 Jeep Commander Owner Comments

May 062013

I've been having issues with my '08 Commander for several months now. The sunroof leaked and water got into the dashboard, shorting the radio out. Dealer fixed sunroof seal and radio. On the drive home from the dealer, dashboard lights started flashing. Returned to dealer the next day, but they could not locate a problem. Three days later, car would shut off while driving and all dashboard lights would flash. Returned to dealer, they were unable to "duplicate" issue. Tech from dealer drove car for 1 day and he could not find an issue. One week later, car smelled horrible of fuel and car would shut off while driving. Returned to dealer and dealer replaced O2 sensor. Picked up car and on my way home, lights flashed, car stalled and smelled worse of fuel. Immediately returned to dealer, dealer replaced a second O2 sensor. Picked up car, 5 miles from dealer, check engine light came on. Called dealer and he said to drive car until the engine "reset"(about 10 miles) or until light began flashing, then bring it in since they can not find a real problem. Issue seemed to resolve for a couple weeks of not driving car much, but then the dashboard lights began flashing again, car smelled of fuel and car seemed bogged down. Today, car barely started and was very bogged down. Attempted to drive, but check engine light came on and flashed repeatedly. Car would not go over 40mph, shook horribly and finally shut off. I am afraid to drive this car with my child inside. I am a disabled single mother and I need a dependable car and definitely not one thats going to keep costing me money. I have a warranty that I purchased with the car, but it seems to still cost an arm and a leg to get this car running for a few days before it chokes up again. This car has sucked up all my savings and still no resolution to the problem.

- Lewisville, NC, USA

Mar 272013

Commander 8-cyl

My 2008 Jeep Commander overland edition has shut off multiple times while I am driving down the interstate at 60 + mph. I look all function when this happens; power steering, gas, electrical, etc. I have to make my way to the side of the road, put the car in park and restart it. It always restarts right away. I have taken my car in 4-6 times to allen samuels Dodge, Jeep in katy tx to try and have the problem diagnosed. Each time they keep my car for multiple days and then tell me they cannot diagnose the problem. I have called Chrysler customer service and am getting no help from them either. They keep telling me to take the car in to get it looked at so they can diagnose it. Yet each time I take the car in to get a diagnosis, I am charged for a rental car for a few days, but then told they cannot diagnose the problem and they send me on my way. Within weeks, I have the same problem of the car shutting off while driving down the interstate. I have researched the problem online and have found hundreds of people complaining of the exact same problems in their 2008 Jeep Commander. I am at a loss as to what to do now. I feel the car is extrememly unsafe, yet Chrysler is doing nothing to fix the problem.

- Katy, TX, USA

Mar 162013

Started Jeep, backed out of parking space, turned left out of parking lot, drove 20 feet to stop sign, Jeep stalled while waiting for traffic to clear for left hand turn.

- Saginaw , MI, USA