2008 Jeep Commander miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Jeep Commander:

2008 Jeep Commander Owner Comments

May 132016

My Commander keeps shaking violently at freeway speed. Have timken it to get struts/shocks replaced, balanced, and did an alignment and rotation and it still does it. Very dangerous and I have kids and need my Jeep to Transport thm from point a to point but

- Las Cruces, NM, USA

Aug 012015

While relocating and driving on a major interstate highway, the pre-owned vehicle with 87,684 at time of purchase, the 4 wheel drive system came on by itself and stayed in high and is still in high and if the vehicle is driven will need to be disconnected. The power steering locked, shredded belts. Then, the engine ran hot for no more than a mile on an interstate highway with no warning. Due to the power steering locking up, combustion caused head gasket problems.

- St. Petersburg, FL, USA

Oct 102014

I received a recall on my 08 Commander last October and have waited for an update. The key sticks in the ignition, will not let loose and stays running. I had it diagnosed May 2015 per request of the Jeep customer care and have spoken with Jeep care and customer service multiple times since then. After the diagnostic in sterling co they talked to Jeep and it was decided it is the recall however there is no solution. I explained the issue is getting worse and we have 3 kids we Transport this is not a safe vehicle. I was told there was a priority email sent and I would get a loaner or a solution since the vehicle is unsafe. Since then I have been hung up on over 4 times from Jeep customer care and have been told my "agent" would like another diagnostic at no cost to me. I have not received any calls back from my designated agent with Jeep and continue to be told by customer care that they are sorry but there is no parts available to fix the ignition switch. I called 877-426-5337 for the customer service as well as other numbers given to me. The Jeep was diagnosed at wolf auto 970-522-0864. All I have asked for is a way to make the vehicle safe and for us to be able to drive it. It has come to a point where we try not to take it anywhere because we don't know if the key will come out or not. Jeep customer service has been very poor with their assistance and keep putting me on the back burner.

- Sterling , CO, USA

Jun 032015

My 2008 Jeep Commander sport 4X4 has been running fine. I parked the Jeep, but it in park and turned it off. When I come back 3 hours later my car does not start. I was able to unlock my car by using the remote, and the lights turned on when I opened the door. I put the key in turned it and the car would not make a single noise, and "damaged key" prompts on the dash and quickly disappears. I needed to move my car so I was able to get a jump bc of the position the car was in. I put my foot on the break and tried to put it in neutral and it would not let me. My friend was able to position his truck to jump start mine. Again, nothing worked.

- Washington, DC, USA

Jul 312014

Jeep Commander 2008 hemi 5.7 ignition faulty and will not start part of the time and vehicle will shut down without warning. My Jeep has the ability to choose when it wants to start- turn the key solenoid clicks but will not start, place shifter in neutral starts right up, other times while in neutral roll it back and the vehicle starts. Ah-haaa moment that every mechanic goes to is that its the starter which I have replaced- wrong 2 times! same problem with second new starter, ah-haa its the battery- nope! another $150 down the drain, relays- nope! still intermittent at best, Jeep starts when it wants!!! I have tried every mix and match of ways to start the vehicle and it will literally start when your on your last nerve or after you walk home, call a tow truck and go back to your Jeep - wha-laa it starts! you also take it to the dealer who checks it on the computer and states "we cant find anything, cant find anything wrong with it (and even though Jeep has a recall and your car is unsafe to drive) that we have to give you your keys back and get you on your way". real safe Jeep- loosing fans fast. Ok venting over- still a fan of Jeep but this is an obvious problem that according to numerous internet sites that a ton of Commander owners are having. I wish Jeep would give an update as my Commander is sitting at a dealership in kettering Ohio with technicians that are stating "its the starter". my response was that I want the ignition recall fixed, funny thing was that they stated that Chrysler did have alternate parts that would work (costing $450 to install) but not covered under the warranty repair. I stated my case and was informed that the dealership was going to contact C.J.D. and request a override on the cost to get my Jeep starting again.

- Dayton, OH, USA

Sep 172011

Commander 4WD 6-cyl

Cooling system.... hoses getting tight and water not circulating. Top ratiorter cap cold. Also saying check gauges. Idels for 15 minutes then hoeses get tight hot gauge goes all the way over into the red.

- Tyler , TX, USA

Jul 262010

My adult children's 2008 Jeep Commander engine has quit running, while they are driving, eight times in the past 4 months. (7/26/2010 thru 11/26/2010). The last time the engine quit running my son was driving the car, he was able to restart the engine with the car in drive (turning the key multiple times). They have had many issues with warning lights flickering and/or staying on. They have taken the Jeep to waldorf Chrysler Jeep dealer 8 times due to engine failure. They have repaired module wiring, replaced the starter and turned the core, performed routine check up and maintenance, run/start circuit repaired, throttle and gasket repaired/replaced twice, currently in the repair shop. Dealer would only provide rental car if the kids paid for it. Also took the Jeep to Dodge dealership in waldorf 8/2010, they could not find a problem.

- Bahama, NC, USA