2.1

2007 Jeep Compass drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Jeep Compass:

2007 Jeep Compass Owner Comments

Dec 082015

Compass

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Compass. The contact stated that after refueling the vehicle and pulling out of the parking lot at 15 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was able to be restarted. The failure recurred after refueling the vehicle. In addition, the contact also stated that there was a fuel odor emitting from the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the fuel cap needed to be replaced, the fuel injection system needed to be flushed and a tune up was needed. The vehicle was repaired however, the failure recurred. On another occasion, the contact stated that the transmission hesitated to shift gears and was jerking as if it was going to stall. The transmission was replaced on 6/30/13. The failure recurred and it was diagnosed that the oxygen sensors and the O2 harness needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred. The contact stated that the vehicle was taken back to the dealer on 1/14/16 where it was diagnosed that the transmission needed to be replaced again. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 131,483.

- Stamford, CT, USA

Jun 012015

Compass

1. fuel pump started arching and nozzle to hose was coming loose-smelt gas while in motion, gas gauge started dropping dramatically 2. horn stopped working-while driving I tried to warn another vehicle who was trying to back out while I was behind them, luckily they heard me yelling 3. back windshield wiper stopped working while in motion trying to back out in the rain 4. struts went 5. rotors went 6. cross member-noticed while driving and took 2 weeks before dealership could get my appointment right to get it taken care of since it was recalled 7. tipm is going. Lost power to 2/2 outlets in the vehicle. 8. cv axle is going. Sounds really bad and sounds like both passenger and driver side. Treated this vehicle with lots of care and so did previous owner. This tells me this is not a reliable vehicle and a safe vehicle I can drive my daughter in.

- Brooklyn, WI, USA

Aug 272015

Compass

The car lost power while driving down Vermont in torrance even though the engine was on. I had to pull over to the curb. Earlier that week on Sunday Aug 26, 2015 I had to have my battery jumped by aaa. Instead of driving around I let the car run for half an hour. I revved the engine and the RPM stopped working although the engine was still on. I started the car the next day and it had clunking sounds while driving at lower speeds which disappeared upon driving freeway speeds. Upon trying to park the car at work it jerked while in reverse. I drove the car the next few days until it failed on Aug 31st while driving home on Vermont. The car had to be towed to the scott robinson Chrysler Dodge Jeep dealership in torrance, ca. Testing there revealed the car needed a whole new transmission at only 70,000 miles. They said it was not due to any fault of mine. I had the car towed to a aaa approved repair facility to get a second opinion and am waiting to see if the car repairs will solve the problem. It's fortunate the car didn't fail on the freeway.

- San Pedro, CA, USA

Aug 082014

Compass

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Compass. While driving approximately 55 mph, the clutch became stuck and prevented the transmission from shifting from third to fourth gear. The dealer stated that there was air in the clutch master cylinder. The mechanic removed the air out of the system, but the failure recurred and the clutch became stuck in reverse. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The approximate failure mileage was 106,000.

- Winnebago , IL, USA

Feb 042014

Compass 4-cyl

The alternator stops working after 90000 miles. You hear a big thumping sound like a tank. You do feel it but, is loud when accelerating and accelerating.

- Hillsdale, NJ, USA

Oct 022013

Compass

I was driving to atlanta on 10/2/2013 & 11/6/2013 and the panel light came on for the transmission overheating. I was driving around 75 mph and I heard a winding noise, I lost power, and my RPM's went to 4/5. I had to pull over due to the fact that I couldn't get my speed over 20-30 mph. The temp outside was 68 degrees so the heat outside did not contribute to this problem. There was a point when it wouldn't even accelerate. My vehicle has around 137,000 on it. I do see many complaints regarding this issue and something really needs to be done.

- Calhoun, GA, USA

Aug 152013

Compass

Pulling from a stop sign onto a busy road my transmission simply stopped working. The engine was on and the car was therefore idling into traffic, but nothing was happening when I was pushing the gas pedal. I was able to idle into a parking lot, where I turned the car off. When I turned the car back on, the transmission worked again. Earlier the same day, the transmission stopped working while the car was driving, but somehow re-engaged itself and began working again. I was coming to a stop at the time so it didn't strike me as the transmission until later that day when it repeated. Terrifying.

- Savannah, GA, USA

Jul 152013

Compass

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Compass. The contact stated that while driving 70 mph, the check engine warning light illuminated as the vehicle made a loud noise and decelerated independently. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was advised that the transmission needed T be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 92,000.

- Tobyhanna, PA, USA

Jan 172013

Compass

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Compass. The contact stated that while driving 70 mph, the vehicle abnormally lost power and decelerated to 20 mph. The vehicle was towed to the dealer for inspection where they advised that the tmc module and transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified but provided no assistance. The failure mileage was 128,000.

- Youngstown, OH, USA

Mar 012012

Compass

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Compass. The contact stated that the struts, ball joints and wheel hubs had to be replaced on the vehicle three times. The dealer stated that the parts were designed to wear. The contact stated that the transmission also failed. The dealer advised the contact that the cvt part was the cause of the failure and the entire transmission would need to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was unknown, but the current mileage was 128,000.

- Lake Ariel, PA, USA

Nov 032011

Compass 4-cyl

The cvt transmission failed. There is a public danger because of sudden failure and engine revving to maximum RPM... total loss of power to drive train. The cvt transmission replacement costs should have been debited back to the supplier at 100%. I see this is a common problem in the vehicles manufactured with the cvt transmission. Chrysler would not complete the repairs until we agreed to share in the cost. I feel this item should be recalled as a safety issue. I also feel that Chrysler should refund our $750 to us in good faith.

- Rochester, MI, USA

Nov 212011

Compass 4-cyl

On Nov. 21 I took my Jeep Compass to the dealership for repairs. All of the lights on the dashboard were illuminated. The car would not accelerate even though the pedal was all the way down. The car was jerking and acting like it was going to stall. The vehicle was pretty much going crazy. I was advised by the dealership that the diagnostic that the did on the PCM showed that there were computer errors. The dealership said that they had to reset the codes and clear all of the errors and that the problem would be fixed. On 12/11 the same problem occurred again. I took my vehicle back to the dealership and advised them that the same issued occurred again. When I spoke with the dealership they state that they did not know what the problem was and that they had spoken to Chrysler and that Chrysler stated that they will not do anything until the problems get worst at which point they would be able to diagnosis the problem and find the solution. This is unacceptable because basically they want me and my family to drive around in an unsafe vehicle and wait til the problems gets worst and risk our lives. The car completely shuts down and become erratic. If this were to happen on the freeway many lives would be at risk. Chrysler needs to take responsibility for electrical problem that is going on in my car. As of right now there has been no solution to fix my vehicle.

- Escondido , CA, USA

Oct 112010

Compass

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Compass. The contact stated that the transmission was dragging in every gear; she noticed the problem everytime she attempted to accelerate. The dealer inspected the vehicle and stated that the transmission was the cause of failure but no other details were given. The current and failure mileages were approximately 68,000.

- Norcross, GA, USA

Nov 242008

Compass 4-cyl

2007 Jeep Compass. Consumer states several problems with vehicle the consumer stated the vehicle stalled, the brakes were rigid and difficult to operate, the tachometer jumped to 5000 rpms and a times, it felt as though the transmission was stuck in second gear.

- Denver, CO, USA