2007 Jeep Compass steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Jeep Compass:

2007 Jeep Compass Owner Comments

Jul 142016

Compass

While driving, I started hearing some bumping underneath my Compass and a day later it knock and driving rough. I made it to work and immediately call tow. A day after the tow, I received a call from the repair shop and was told that my sub frame had rusted through and broke. I only had the vehicle for two tears and a few months, and still paying for it. I contacted Jeep Corp. And was told the was nothing they could do for me. My fidelity warranty states what they cover, but when I contacted them they told me that after five years they deems the bad tie rods as wear & tear. I was never told that when I purchased the service contract. If my prayers aren't heard, then I must pay $2700 out of my pocket.

- Milwaukee, WI, USA

May 292013

Compass 4-cyl

The car began pulling in the front right tire intermittently. I was a half mile from home, so I turned around to go back home. As I drove into the driveway, the front right tire and entire front right suspension completely fell down (almost completely off) and the tire was pushed sideways and into the frame of the wheel well on the car. The car came to an immediate and abrupt halt. Had I been driving on the road when this occurred, my car would have flipped and I would have crashed and could have been killed! this is a huge safety problem and defect that I believe should be part of a recall. I have read many reports of problems with this model/year concerning the wheel bearings, lower control arms, and tie rods. I have great concern driving this vehicle in the future after it is repaired.

- Millington, MD, USA

Feb 152007

Compass

Entire suspension system is nothing but junk. Replaced tie rod ends, inner and outer, ball joints, sway bar links, struts, hubs and axle. Some of these parts more than once. The tire came dangerously close to falling off the vehicle with less than 24 hr notice that something was wrong. Failed inspection last year for tie rod end that was replaced previous year. Chrysler will not budge on taking responsibility for what my mechanic calls "junk". does someone have to die before they react??

- Shelburne Falls, MA, USA

Apr 162012

Compass

Just like a lot of other complaints, had to have tie rods and ball joints replaced. Seem like a lot of the Jeep compasses have this problem. Can they not make them better. Should be a recall.

- Hendersonville, NC, USA

Dec 272011

Compass

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Compass. The contact stated that the vehicle was taken to a state inspection station, where the inspector determined that the vehicle was not safe to be driven. The vehicle was then taken to an independent mechanic for a diagnostic test. The mechanic stated that the front suspension, ball joints, steering and brakes would have to be replaced due to excessive wear. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 84,000.

- Fairfax, VA, USA

Jul 012010

Compass

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Compass. The contact stated that while having the vehicle inspected by an independent repair shop, she was informed that the tie rods and suspension system would need replacing. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure but offered no assistance. The failure mileage was 15,000 and the current mileage was 26,000.

- Carnegie, PA, USA

Jun 222011

Compass 4-cyl

I was informed by the dealership of which I purchased my vehicle that my vehicle requires front control arms and tie rods which was given an estimate of about $900 to correct. My vehicle has 17,000 miles and is out of warranty, however, I viewed numerous complaints online of the same nature on the same year, make, and model vehicle. This appears to be a defect from the manufacturer since there were so many identical complaints indicated online. The dealership requested I do not drive this vehicle until repaired due to a safety issue. The dealership also said the items which need to be repaired will be replaced with a better quality and this occurred on many of these vehicles from this particular year.

- Seven Hills, OH, USA

May 092011

Compass

I got a flat tire on may of 2011, after taking it to a tireshop I was informed that I needed 2 lower control arms, and tire rods. There was also uneven wear on the front tires.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Oct 272010

Compass

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Compass. The contact stated that the driver noted a rattle while she was driving. The contact was informed by the dealer that both outer tie rods were loose after a routine oil change. The vehicle had not been repaired. The contact called the manufacturer who took a complaint for the failure. The current and failure mileages were approximately 30,480.

- Burnettsville, IN, USA

Oct 182010

Compass

2007 Jeep Compass. At approx 100K miles I took it to the dealer for routine service. Technician informed me that the tie rods were bad on front driver side, showed me play in the wheel. Said it needed to be fixed. I agreed to have new tie rods put on. One month later the car began to handle erratically, I took back to the same dealer and asked to inspect their previous work and search for the handling/steering problem. After two hours they informed me they could find nothing wrong. 7 months later, while driving with my 6 month old in the car the front left control arm broke and the front driver side wheel actually broke off at the lower ball joint while the car was in motion. Replacing control arms and ball joints on both sides plus two new front tires netted a total repair cost of $1400... this is on top of the previous repair cost to replace the tie rods.

- Lexington, KY, USA

Nov 222009

Compass

2007 Jeep Compass control arms, right outer tie rod. I was hearing some squeaking when I hit a bump and a little grinding as I pulled up to traffic lights. I took the vehicle into get an oil change and asked for the mechanic to check it out. I was told the vehicle is unsafe to drive due to total failure of the control arms. Cost to fix: Over $1000. With the control arms being such a common issue with this vehicle, Jeep should really consider issuing a recall.

- Bay City, MI, USA

May 252009

Compass

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Compass. While driving 50 mph, the contact noticed that the vehicle was pulling to the left. He proceeded to maneuver the vehicle back to the right, but was unsuccessful. He lost control of the vehicle and crashed into another vehicle head-on. There were no failures prior to this incident. The contact was injured and a police report was filed. The vehicle was inspected by an insurance adjuster, who was unable to determine the cause of the failure. The adjuster speculated that the steering system may have contributed to the failure. The vehicle was destroyed. The contact is in the process of notifying the manufacturer. The failure mileage was 24,000.

- Trenton, NJ, USA